• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Treasures!

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    OK people. It's about time I made a progress update..

Unfortunately, other than a few sprite changes we have none. The reason for this is that still, at the time of writing, PO, our engine, still remains to be finished, and we can't wait much longer. We need and engine and fast.

We've narrowed it down to RMXP and Sphere. We're willing to sacrifice MMO and Global Trades, though being two of our key features, for maximum game flexibility. If PO does get done we'll likely start over on it, or transfer resources if it is possible (PO could use an import function for any game wishing to be an MMO)

So, with Sphere, would there be any willing programmers to help us with the program?

RMXP, would there be people willing to help code various additions to the game, like new types?

Naas02

Cerulean cool trainer
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    Pokemon Treasures finally died huh? Pitty, well you might want to get in contact with booda sack he's the only personl I know to have gotten a really good pokemon game out of sphere. Maybe if while the project was still alive you guys werent so stuck up about it, it might have been easier to find help now but oh well karma sucks....good luck on your new project

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Pokemon Treasures finally died huh?
    Oh please no! That's not what Crystal Clair wants to hear!
    I'd do ANYTHING to help out but I can only make merely tiles and trainer sprites and I'm on a giant stubborn spriters block (like that boulder in Majora's Mask) I absolutely CANNOT script and uh poor Metamew's been waiting on a map of mine and I've been unable to finish it. *laughs akwardly*
    I soooo hope Pokemon Treasures isn't dying, it's my absolute FAVORITE fangame, the graphics are inspiring and three regions is a handsome promise.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    Who was stuck up other than KARR? I made no posts insulting other games, the only thing I mentionned in other threads was we have some nice competition coming along, or the occasional can we use that or can you help us out with this cuz you're better than what we have in that department.

And, we're not dead, just dying down. I'll finish the whole game myself. After all the bloody work I put into it, letting it die would be liek suddenly failing in school because it moves slowly.

And if our real engine ever does finish, we'll be on it like fungus to an old peice of cheeze.

If all else fails, we merge with another project. That's always a last option. Likely our partner game, Pokemon Weather or Pokemon Cyare. Possibly the newly re-re-revived Baltyss project by Xeno Scizor.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Mattgcn, I could try help if you need anything. I'm not used to RMXP- but I know alot in Rm2k3 (and alot of the commands are the same in RmXP). So hook me up via PM and I'll see what I can do.
    (if you need any references for my RM2k3 works- look up Digital Network or Silk2).

Fossil Kabutops

Ancient
    Years
    We're far from dead, as far as i know every staff member is still breating:\ No, but just as matt says we're slowing down badly. We all want to finish the game but we're just struck because the engine still isn't complete.

We're discussing about a possible engine change now or in the future, but just to let everybody know:

POKEMON TREASURES IS FAR, VERY FAR FROM DEAD

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    So, this project has been going for over a year and all you have to show from it is some Pokemon sprites? What exactly have your coders been doing while your spriters were doing the sprites? And how can you call it a game if you don't even know what program you're going to make it on? Seriously, I doubt this will ever get started properly. You guys spent so long fixating on nice graphics and Pokemon that you completely forgot about about the most important part of a Pokemon game - the actual game.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    Dawson said:
    So, this project has been going for over a year and all you have to show from it is some Pokemon sprites? What exactly have your coders been doing while your spriters were doing the sprites? And how can you call it a game if you don't even know what program you're going to make it on? Seriously, I doubt this will ever get started properly. You guys spent so long fixating on nice graphics and Pokemon that you completely forgot about about the most important part of a Pokemon game - the actual game.
    In a lot of ways I do agree. Appearance always comes last in a game. What good is a perfect interface if it doesn't work properly? Not that it won't get finished but since nothing has really been completed from what we can tell other than graphics, it might take a long time for it to get anywhere. They have maps, building, and berries too. Also.. from what I know, PT has one coder.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    Two to be exact. We launched into this project with, well, no program completed, and one in dev, and we realised what a mistake it was during every slump in activity. We're not the best game around, and now we have none of the cool online features to work with. We planned to start in Sphere, but apparently we're trying to make it more Linux/Mac friendly for the various important members who use these systems.

Sorry for any boasting I've done in the past, since we lost anything really to boast about with so many game springing about us.

Note: Don't forget stats. We have that nearly all ready to fill in. Story's been outlined too...And music. We have lots of that. And of course, 4 outdoor maps (Eurk, thats pathetic) and a few random indoor ones.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2021
    I hope Pokemon treasures isn't dead. I would help, it's just that I've been very busy with college so far.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2006
    I think you guys should use rmxp. It is easy and the coding is simple to learn. Sphere is much more difficult in my opinion, so just try it if you want. It would be great to start this project.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    ANNOUNCEMENT:

We're not using a preasembled engine, but we're making it with python coding and the pygame library! Pure coding, pure customization. We're looking to sign on any willing learners or preferably those who already know it. Afterwards, we hope to make an MMO engine. Actually this time!

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2006
    sounds interesting. Can you post a link to this pygame.

Edit:
    I just went to the site. It looks very complicated and not very trustworthy for a full-fledged pokemon game. Are you sure you want to do it with this program. I think sphere or rmxp would be much more reliable, seriously. I am just giving you a possible choice so you guys dont end up quiting this project.

Last edited:

PokemonXP

Platinum Battler
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    mattgcn said:
    ANNOUNCEMENT:

We're not using a preasembled engine, but we're making it with python coding and the pygame library! Pure coding, pure customization. We're looking to sign on any willing learners or preferably those who already know it. Afterwards, we hope to make an MMO engine. Actually this time!

Matt About these programs you've mentioned I'd like to learn a bit about this. Why not use RPG Maker XP? I'm sure there is a script you can make to do your online part. It hasn't been made yet but someone will make it. As for other scripts they are still being developed but most are up and working.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    You guys are going to learn what is effectively a whole new programming language for this game? That will probably take you a couple of years..i can't imagine you finding a couple of individuals who know the program and are willing to code a whole game for you.
    No offence, but the sprites are the relatively easy part of the whole game, it's the coding that makes it. I say this about myself as well -for Dawson's game i've made about 65 new custom sprites (taking a few weeks) on my own, but that is nowhere near all the months and months of dedicated coding that he's put into it, and that was in RM2K3 where you don't need to learn a whole programming language.
    I think you're setting your sights a little too high if you actually want this game started.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    It was two guys idea, and they're starting it out themselves. They seem really committed to actually trying it out at least.

RMXP is likely our next option. Possibly Sphere, but we at least need to get a demo idea started.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hi, I'm BonzaiRob and I'm teh Music Lead at PT. I'll also be helping with coding (and doing the Mac dev probably). I'm here to answer a few queries, because Matt told me to.

I think you guys should use rmxp.
    The main problem with RMXP and other game makers is they're not Mac or Linux compatible. I use a Mac and FMY, the other coder, uses Linux, so we're not likely to code for a game we can't use. Python is compatible with just about every OS out there. Pygame is a GUI library specifically designed for games, so we're fine there. Another thing is that game makers won't give us the customisation we need for a great Pok?mon game, or the online support for teh MMORPG side. That's right, we're doing that.

You guys are going to learn what is effectively a whole new programming language for this game? That will probably take you a couple of years
    If it weren't for my OS needing updates, I'd be coding for PT right now. Python is a simple language and the developers have worked to keep the syntax clean. Me and FMY are both fairly experienced coders (we can both code php with our eyes closed, and I also program Flash games with Actionscript, so I know about object-orientated coding). I estimate, once coding proper begins, this will take us just over two months, if we get a couple more people to help out.
    Also, having sprites and pok?mon info all laid out for us will speed the process, since it's all ready and waiting. Anything that needs finishing can be done while we're coding.

we have none of the cool online features to work with.
    Actualy, I found an open-source program called Cherry Chat that we can customise, it's an IM program. There's also some pretty codes for server sockets and suchlike, so we can make this MMO if we want.

So, give us a few months (or me ?140 for Tiger) and we'll let you know..

(BTW, I had to write this post twice, aargh)

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
    Jesus mother of christ this thread is out of date. Basically, progress at PT has been mostly at a halt since I've been in high school, and FMY and Bonzai have also been busy with things. We've jumped from method to method for our game engine and I believe we've finally settled with it being Java-based now.

Since the last post, progress has been...minimal at best. Spriting has continued gradually over the years, and coding is actually now being considered as a prime focus of our efforts, though we have only 3 people with knowledge of it and only one with significant amounts. Storylines have also been considered. Many have been written up with the dialogue script.

On the factor of mapping, one of our many lacking departments, we've given up on the eventual return of our leader and mapper, Shadolf, and have finally decided on a good recruit to help us out. The first map by our new mapper, MLS, can be found Here, and there will be more soon since we've FINALLY decided on climate regions, important areas and such on maps and how we're going to lay them out.

Music department is also starting up again. Somewhat. Much of our music has been done already, and we're going to borrow much of GSC and FRLG themes for our work as well, though we'd like more of it to be original.

For the releases, we naturally have no set date because of our hectic personal lives, but we've decided the first release will have only one region, and as such only about 150-or-so Pokemon. We're likely to include a couple of DP moves and abilities that were very similar to the ones we've made beforehand, and as well some of our Pokemon have been scrapped in light of DP's mass of prevos and evos. The first release will NOT be the MMO version, which I realise was sort of our only new thing to offer with this game. It will be in one of the releases after the three regions are all implemented.

The forums contain little information on progress, as it is all done over MSN, but the next significant jump in activity and I'll be right here again. I'm just posting to know that we're still going, somewhat, and this game WILL get done. Someday.

Ta!

~Mattgcn

Matt12345678

The Famous N00b
    Years
    I thought this was a really great game-to-be. I wish you'd update it a lot more often, however. If you worked on this game a lot harder, it'd still take a long time to finish, so consider how long it might take at this rate... @.@;;

Back