• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon:Yesterdays Garbage?

Sheruda Kachinuki

Go and escape(^^)
    Years
    A garbage? sounds so bad... I love Pokemons since the day they hatches... use a proper care till they are grown up... (how dramatic I am)
    But as I've posted, Pokemon is always here, in my heart...

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2008
    Maybe in America it's still cool, but here in the UK you're lucky to find even ONE pokemon fan in a whole school.

Years
    Tsk...

How can it be yesterdays garbage when more than a quarter of fans don't even know anything past the anime/games. There is more to PM...There's PokeSpe... let's see if they will still call it that... Also theres a bunch of great fanfics out here waiting to be read...

Last edited:

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    well i think pokemon cool along with my friends, but c'mon just about everyone i know has seen the tv show and they think pokemons retarded just from a glance at it. but i think pokemons still good, maybe if they cut the tv show, maybe then pokemon would rise to the peak of awsomeness it had when blue and red came out.

Giblie

Gible Lover
    Years
    Pokemon cant be oudated or anything since many still play the games and watch the anime. I think it will still go on for at least a decade.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    How bout this. Instead of saying something like "POKEMON IS STILL COOL IT WILL ALWAYS BE COOL YAY" which, while I agree, will get you beat up mercilessly, just point to this to flat out DISPROVE them. When in doubt, go with the facts.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl have been out for 97 weeks. In 97 weeks, Diamond and Pearl have sold 15.47 million copies worldwide. In Pokemon Red/Blue's first 97 weeks, it sold approximately 8.64 million copies.

Pokemond Red/Blue was released in Japan on Feb 27, 1996. In America, it was Oct 1, 1998. And everywhere else it was May 11, 1999. We'll take this region by region.

In Japan, Diamond/Pearl has been out for just less than 2 years, compared to Red/Blue, which has been out for over 12 years. In those 2 years, Diamond/Pearl, in Japan, has sold just over half of the amount that Red/Blue has, in less than one sixth of the time.

In America, Diamond/Pearl has been out for barely over 15 months. Compare that to Red/Blue, which has been out in America for 2 months short of 10 years. D/P has sold just less than half the amount of Red/Blue, in America, in just over one tenth of the time.

And everywhere else, D/P has been out for about one year, whereas Red/Blue has been out a few months more than 9 years. And D/P, again, has sold just under a half of what Red/Blue has sold, in about one ninth of the time.

So as you can see, pokemon is way more popular now than before. And understandably so. It has the fanbase of older people who grew up on it, in addition to the younger players. Red/Blue only had the young players. Also, D/P is just way better, and is on a system that is way way more popular (DS compared to GB). So your friend can call Pokemon garbage all he wants, but he certainly can't call it yesterday's garbage.

(source: vgchartz.com)

vano-m

2nd year University student
    Years
    Apparently Pokemon isn't in now. I heard it from a friend of mine at school who also plays Pokemon.
    He said Pokemon is yesterdays garbage cause' its old & outdated.
    For me as to reply, Pokemon isn't yesterdays garbage, like i mentioned in the other Thrd's: POKEMON FOREVER!

I want to know your comments about this comment, so plese speak your opinions.
    Manyletters no sence. Old question. wus discussed too much...

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    Who cares? If you enjoy it, why let others stop you? For all I care, I could be the only one playing Pokemon left and I'd be happy as pie. (My pie is happy anyways) Actually, the only person I'd care about not playing/disliking Pokemon is my brother.

cal.kriptic

Emulation Freak
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 5, 2008
    I have never felt the same about pokemon all the new stuff is whats is wrongs with i will never forget the feeling i got from the orginals thats games and the TV show stickers cards and everything eles

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Most people instantly bash Pokemon for it's childish anime. I admit it; the anime in my opinion is garbage. Sure, come here and make an argument against me because it's "my opinion" but it's true. But how many kids today look at Pikachu and instantly enjoy it? I don't, I dislike it immensely.

As for the competative battling point of view (the less seen one also) I feel it's very interesting, and would attract more people to like it.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Ugh, some of you are just those Pokemon addicts who would die for the Pokemon series to go on. Look at it from the neutral point of view. There are more haters than lovers.

LOYALemerald, if your friend calls Pokemon garbage, it doesn't surprise me at all. Sure, some of us love Pokemon, and the others hate it. Just because one person says it's garbage doesn't mean that he or she speaks for the whole world in his or her statement.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl have been out for 97 weeks. In 97 weeks, Diamond and Pearl have sold 15.47 million copies worldwide. In Pokemon Red/Blue's first 97 weeks, it sold approximately 8.64 million copies.
    Erm... this statement proves nothing. Red and Blue were the very first Pokemon games released. Which basically means, fandom for Pokemon hasn't come to existence yet before Red and Blue's release. That's the difference. Before Diamond and Pearl, Pokemon had already gone through 3 generations. Those generations aquired a lot of fans.

> Red and Blue's release didn't have fans.
    > Diamond and Pearl did have fans.

Logically, Diamond and Pearl would have more purchases. Maybe we should compare Ruby and Sapphire vs. Diamond and Pearl for a more accurate standing.

The features that Diamond and Pearl had to offer attracted a lot of new fans. Especially with the addition of the touch screen and 3D feel to the game. Pokemon fandom population grew a good amount from that.

No, it is not logical to call Pokemon "Yesterday's Garbage". Your friend did not have the facts to back up about calling Pokemon such phrase, especially for the word yesterday.

Pokemon is still going strong, and a big amount of fans have been brought in to the group. Pokemon's popularity is going up! It won't leave the phase of the earth until Nintendo sees that they make no money out of the Pokemon series. That's probably when Pokemon has just gone completely insane and ridiculous, and have lost all their fans. That's not going to happen any time soon.

LOYALemerald, your friend here is just strongly biased. I mean, there's no doubt that when you first take a look at Pokemon it looks childish. Your friend has an opinion - we all do. I like Pokemon, he doesn't. That's reality.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Erm... this statement proves nothing. Red and Blue were the very first Pokemon games released. Which basically means, fandom for Pokemon hasn't come to existence yet before Red and Blue's release. That's the difference. Before Diamond and Pearl, Pokemon had already gone through 3 generations. Those generations aquired a lot of fans.

That's the whole point though. It DOES prove that it's still huge, and so it's pointless to call it yesterday's garbage. I'm not comparing the sales just for the sake of comparing them, I'm comparing them to prove the point that it's not yesterday's garbage, which I did.

And for the record, D/P is WAY past the marks of R/S.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    How bout this. Instead of saying something like "POKEMON IS STILL COOL IT WILL ALWAYS BE COOL YAY" which, while I agree, will get you beat up mercilessly, just point to this to flat out DISPROVE them. When in doubt, go with the facts.
    HEy, thanks!!!(Ummm Diamond & Pearl had a lot more fans than the older versions...)
    If it's old and outdated, then how come there is a huge community here who discuss it.
    Because, before i posted this thread, Pokemon still was "in", & PC Existed before the majority of people hated it.

Manyletters no sence. Old question. wus discussed too much...
    What it these suppose to mean?
    Who cares? If you enjoy it, why let others stop you? For all I care, I could be the only one playing Pokemon left and I'd be happy as pie. (My pie is happy anyways) Actually, the only person I'd care about not playing/disliking Pokemon is my brother.
    I defintely Agree^_^"!

Most people instantly bash Pokemon for it's childish anime. I admit it; the anime in my opinion is garbage. Sure, come here and make an argument against me because it's "my opinion" but it's true. But how many kids today look at Pikachu and instantly enjoy it? I don't, I dislike it immensely.

As for the competative battling point of view (the less seen one also) I feel it's very interesting, and would attract more people to like it.
    For people like me, i appreciate everything about Pokemon: The anime,TCG,Games,Kraks,Manga-everything... Although, some people (like you) Hate or dislike some parts of Pokemon. Well, i can't stop you from hating the anime, its your opinion & i can't mess with that...

Ugh, some of you are just those Pokemon addicts who would die for the Pokemon series to go on. Look at it from the neutral point of view. There are more haters than lovers.

LOYALemerald, if your friend calls Pokemon garbage, it doesn't surprise me at all. Sure, some of us love Pokemon, and the others hate it. Just because one person says it's garbage doesn't mean that he or she speaks for the whole world in his or her statement.

No, it is not logical to call Pokemon "Yesterday's Garbage". Your friend did not have the facts to back up about calling Pokemon such phrase, especially for the word yesterday.

Pokemon is still going strong, and a big amount of fans have been brought in to the group. Pokemon's popularity is going up! It won't leave the phase of the earth until Nintendo sees that they make no money out of the Pokemon series. That's probably when Pokemon has just gone completely insane and ridiculous, and have lost all their fans. That's not going to happen any time soon.

LOYALemerald, your friend here is just strongly biased. I mean, there's no doubt that when you first take a look at Pokemon it looks childish. Your friend has an opinion - we all do. I like Pokemon, he doesn't. That's reality.

I know the aspects & views of Pokemon, We all have our likes & dislikes.

I mean, he played Pokemon(my friend)-but doesn't like it anymore due to the increasing games, that to him are more popular than pokemon.
    Before i knew Pokemon, i hated everything about it, but when the new versions came out, i started to like it, even love it.
    So my theory is, the more you know things that are related to Pokemon, you get interested in it. I know the neutral point of view...

The thing is, we are all different, people are as they say.
    The point of me creating this thread is to see how Pokemon lovers & nuetralists react to that statment...

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    For people like me, i appreciate everything about Pokemon: The anime,TCG,Games,Kraks,Manga-everything... Although, some people (like you) Hate or dislike some parts of Pokemon. Well, i can't stop you from hating the anime, its your opinion & i can't mess with that...

That's great for you. Your opinion, thus I cannot mess with it. But if you appreciate everything about Pokemon, that means you'd accept anything, even if it's flawed =/

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    That's great for you. Your opinion, thus I cannot mess with it. But if you appreciate everything about Pokemon, that means you'd accept anything, even if it's flawed =/
    Well, that conclusion of yours is true, But i dont accept oppinions that are as you said "CRAP".

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    You don't accept opinions? What? I'm saying if Pokemon made a reall bad game, would you still buy it?

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    I said i don't accept opinions that as you said are "CRAP"
    i DON'T BELIEVE that comment of yours...

Back