• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    - I'm not a fan of BW/BW2 at all.
    - Buneary & Lopunny are 2 of my favourite Pokemon.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    This is a bit of a long one. I don't blame you if you decide to ignore this post.

- I really don't like Froakie and its evos. It's overrated, it gets unfair advantages over the other two Kalos starters (better HA, much wider movepool, two signature moves, etc.), and I don't like its design at all. I get why others like it, but I personally can't stand it. Charizard and Lucario may be overrated, but at least they don't piss me off like Greninja does. In fact, I like both Lucario and Charizard, despite their being overrated.
    - The Fennekin line gets unfairly bashed too much in my opinion. A lot of people dislike it because of its ear hair, or it's not on four legs, or its "disappointing" movepool, or some other reason. Other than the movepool (which I believe is just GF screwing over Delphox in favor of the more "cool" starter), the other things are why I love Delphox. Its ear hair is a nice part of its design and it cleverly shows the progression between each stage of Fennekin's evolutionary line (unlike Froakie, who goes from bubbles to more bubbles to no bubbles and that ugly (imo) tongue scarf). I'm glad that it's bipedal so I could differentiate itself from Ninetales. And the movepool isn't even that bad, at least not as horrible as some people make it out to be. Two good STABs in Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Psychic/Psyshock, and some other nice moves like Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam in ORAS, Grass Knot, and Switcheroo, among other things. Sure, it doesn't have as wide of a movepool as Greninja (seriously, how does a ninja have a wider movepool than a witch?), but it gets what it needs. Overall, I'd much rather use Fennekin over Froakie any day.
    -I'm not sure whether or not this opinion is unpopular, but I don't want a Bug-type Mega Flygon. I never really saw Flygon as being a Bug type to begin with. I don't get why some people are so eager to remove its Ground type, when Ground is a much better offensive and defensive type. Flygon's Ground/Dragon type is fine as is. I'd rather have a Dragon that's outclassed by Garchomp than a Dragon with a worse type. Unique =/= Better in all cases.
    - I dislike Pikachu, but Raichu is awesome.
    - Misty pisses me off and while my friends were sad to see her leave, I couldn't be happier. Imo, every girl Ash has traveled with is far better than Misty.
    - Sorry is this one isn't an unpopular opinion either. Even though there are some Pokemon games I like more than others, I don't hate any Pokemon game. Same goes for regions. Every game and region has its good and bad points, but they're all fine.
    - I prefer Mega Evolutions over Cross-Gen Evolutions. With regular evolution, you can't go back to the previous stage, and in most cases, the evolution outclasses the pre-evo rather than just improving it. That usually leaves the pre-evo left aside in favor of its evolution. (i.e. Sneasel is cool, but rather weak. Perhaps an evolution will improve it. Enter Weavile. Sure, it's a massive improvement over Sneasel, but then it basically replaces Sneasel, since who would still use Sneasel over the faster, stronger Weavile? Now, instead of being improved, Sneasel is left behind and forgotten, outclassed by its evolved form.) Megas, on the other hand, provides its base form with a great boost, while still leaving the base form the same. Thus you don't lose your Pokemon in order to make it better. With regular evolution, you must choose to either leave the Pokemon the same without improving it (thus remaining underpowered), or evolve it to give it the boost it desperately needs at the cost of never seeing the pre-evo again. With Megas however, the Pokemon can get the boost it needs to kick butt and still remain as it is. Other than Eevee, I wouldn't mind if there were no more Cross-Gen Evolutions.
    (There are exceptions like Chansey, which outclasses Blissey in Gen 5+ thanks to Eviolite)
    - I like Emboar.
    - Fairy is an okay type. I don't love it, but I certainly don't hate it either.
    - Smogon is also okay. It's not that bad imo.
    - I don't really care about the Battle Frontier, or even if it ever comes back.
    - I EV train my in-game teams.

Years
  • I didn't have a Gameboy or Gameboy Advance while growing up, my gaming experience was provided by my trusty SNES and the PS1. One could say I'm not really a pokefan, and that wouldn't be so true. It simply wasn't up to me which gaming console I'd get back then.

So here goes my list:

I. The whole "Pokemon vs. Digimon" trend is long forgotten. In my opinion it was a positive thing, it meant both franchises were alive and burning in our hearts.

II. When the Pokemon anime came out it was the absolute hype in my school. When the Digimon anime came out, it was first titled a ripoff by the nerdiest kid in my class, that being me. It didn't take my classmates long before they said: Tai and his gang are just so much cooler than Ash… And that's simply true. It's not that Digimon is better than Pokemon, it's just that Bandai put some effort into making a good anime.

III. Pokemon amie is beyond overrated. This will be the last Digimon comparison, I swear. The fact Pokemon can't poop has always annoyed me. Where do those berries go??? Being able to care for your Digimon was a thing I especially liked about the PS1 game. I loved how the way Agumon didn't follow the orders of a 10-year-older and used his own judgement to fight usually brought us victory.

IV. I find Garchomp to look really dumb. It's not the funny kind of dumb like Psyduck is, it simply looks misplaced. Dragons in general do. Haxorus is about the only dragon that makes me think of dragons.

V. The soundtrack in ORAS may bring nostalgia to the people who played it when it came out, but on a quality point of view XY is just far superior. In XY the elite 4 OST had my blood boiling, the very first time I stepped into Santalune forest the soundtrack took hold of my ears and my heart: It reminded me of the Shadow forest OST in Chrono Cross, a game I particularly remember for having great OSTs. The OST in ORAS didn't manage to get me pumped up even once, everything just feels generic.

VI. I love Glaceon to bits. I don't care if its defensive typing is bad for the metagame, I just love it. Can't we just like pokemon without thinking of their competitive capabilities? I think this is what the early gens really had going on for them.

VII. Absurd repetition kills any good game. How cool would that be to just catch that dragon you've been looking for and know that it was "competitive" right off the bat? Well, maybe if I breed it 255 times until I get it with adequate IV's and nature and then EV train it… that sounds like "Pokemon isn't about having fun, it's about timeless commitment" to beginners.

VIII. The lack of challenge, "Let's leave everything up to the multiplayer". I guess this vent could be about this gaming generation instead of this pokemon generation. It's hard to find a good single player campaign anywhere nowadays. Multiplayer is important but sometimes I just want to play the game.

I think I've typed too much…

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • 1. Mega Evolution is overrated and a poor excuse for a power up.
    2. The Kalos starters are very poor starters.
    3. Kalos is my least favorite region to date.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
  • 1. Johto starters have fairly mediocre final evolutions and the designs do little for me.
    2. I think that design wise, the Kalos starters are some of the best Pokemon designs and are a close second to the Hoenn starters as being my favorite
    3. Despite the clear advantage of using Greninja and me liking it and the Froakie line in general, I still prefer to battle with Delphox for variety as I feel Greninja just doesn't have the same feeling when everyone else prefers to use it
    4. I have moved away from using legendaries for the most part, but I still feel like that some legendaries can be used in creative and new ways that don't feel like just using brute stats and whatnot and can be used without cheapening the battle
    5. Hmm...my least favorite gen? Honestly, the first one. Being 17 and not starting to get into Pokemon until 2009 rather than a 20-something who grew up with Pokemon in the late nineties, it just hasn't aged well compared to even the generation afterwards (but even that one is aging rapidly). I know that it deserves respect as the foundation for all the Pokemon games, but it just doesn't hold up when all sorts of important battle mechanics that are so ingrained into my experience of Pokemon are missing.
    6. Fennekin is to me hands down my favorite starter (it was SO hard to guess, right?)

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
  • Oh boy... This post will be long and will trigger a lot of fanboys, but here we go:

- Charizard is the worst Gen I starter... and it's not even close.

- Whitney was the second-easiest Gen II gym leader -- easiest if you were part of the .004% that picked Chikorita.

- Mega evolution sucks. It not only is used predominantly to make overpowered Pokemon even more unbalanced, but it murders potential for Pokemon lines that could've still gotten 1 (or possibly 2) evolutions. Farfetch'd, Sableye, Mawile, Stantler, Kecleon, Sudowoodo, Corsola, every Pikachu clone ever, and Delibird are all prime examples of Pokemon that are victimized by mega evolution.

- Pikachu clones are pointless. I hate the fact that I expect to see a lightbulb rodent every time a new region rolls around. Have you ever noticed that they all have the exact same face? Each one literally takes a copy 'n' paste Pikachu face, makes minute edits to the cheek pouches and get's a new color, and it's an entirely new Pokemon. Dreams of Earthquakes dance in my head because of the likes of Emolga and Dedenne.

- Raichu is 10000x better than Pikachu. Had the anime actually progressed, had Ash just evolved his Pikachu in order to take on Surge, had Ash, at that moment, just shown even the slightest amount of spine and character development, the entire complexion of the Pokemon franchise would've changed for the better. And screw the Light Ball.

- The anime is the most unbearable abomination of a TV series I've ever seen, especially the English dub. There is no story, character development doesn't exist (at least around Ash and [insert replaceable friends here]), there are so many unexplained logic flaws and continuity errors, and Ash pretty much regresses as a trainer over the course of the near-20 years he's been 10 years old. The only saving graces of the entire series were Brock's occasional puns.

- Speaking of the anime, I didn't like Misty. She was just kinda whatever. Probably falls to like #3 behind May and Dawn for me in terms of "co-lead females" in the series, and that's because I don't remember much of Iris and haven't really followed the XY anime so I've no opinion of Serena.

- I actually enjoy Hoenn as a region, 70% water and all.

- Gen II was the high point of the Pokemon series and the quality of the games has only gone downhill exponentially since.

- Gen I is a laughable mess. Even the remakes that fixed the insane amount of broken and nonsense mechanics are only very average. The only place in my heart Gen I has is for nostalgia.

- Pokemon Yellow was the stupidest thing ever created. Gamefreak took the marketing idea of using the anime to promote the show and allowed it to flip on them, completely derailing the future of the franchise. For whatever reason, 10-year-old Ash Ketchum and a very inconsistent Pikachu caught on with children, and literally nothing has changed since. Pokemon Yellow was the beginning of this.

- While I do really love the manga, I find it harder to get through/read once I get through the RS and FRLG arcs. Emerald is meh and it seems to taper off from there.

- The Pokemon community is very polarizing about seemingly everything. Middle ground and indifferent thoughts are not common on a lot of topics of opinion. For the life of me I can't figure out why it isn't more toxic.

- I find collecting much more enjoyable and satisfying than battling.

- Teddiursa is the most adorable thing on the planet, closely followed by Cubchoo and Trubbish.

- Ash kissed Bianca at the end of Pokemon Heroes. (You'd be surprised at how adamant people are about this.)

- GameFreak gets typings wrong more frequently than they get them right.

- Pikachu was cooler when it was still chubby. At least then it was adorable.

- Not including Blue (at least) and Yellow (preferably) as at the very least characters in the original Pokemon games was an awful decision. I dream of a world where the Pokemon manga became more of a staple than the anime.

- Shiny Pokemon are dumb. Rather than using questionable, seemingly-random at times color palettes, the sprites really should've been carefully designed.

- Also, Masuda Method, chaining, shiny charm, etc. were all terrible decisions. What's the point of shiny Pokemon anymore? The entire gimmick with shinies was that it was supposed to be this awesome random thing that catches you entirely by surprise. If it's been so simplified that they can now be rather easily "hunted", why even have them?

- Baby Pokemon were a nice touch on the series. Sure, they're useless in battle, they're pretty difficult to obtain unless you're trying to get them, and they're mostly forgettable, but they're adorable.

I'll take cute and cuddly mons over fierce and ferocious mons any day of the weak.

I may have a ton to hate on about Pokemon, but it'll still always be my favorite series of all time and the single-most impactful piece of media in my life. I'll still buy every game, regardless of how trash it gets, get chills every time I hear Red's theme atop Mt. Silver, regardless of how many times I beat him, and catch every Pokemon they release, regardless of how ridiculous the concepts become. I have such strong opinions on Pokemon because it's easily the thing I hold closest to my heart. I've been pretty blessed to have such a remarkable thing in my life and see it evolve over nearly the entire course of its existence and literally the entirety of my life.

Ash still sucks, though.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    - Whitney isn't really that difficult. I do recall getting beat by her but that was 10+ years ago where I don't even know how the game works. Right now Whitney is actually alright to beat and I just beat her Miltank again for the 4th time during my Solo Challenge.

- I dislike Nuzlockes and grinding more just to get higher levels to prevent your Pokemon from fainting is not a challenge. It's more towards annoying and annoying =/= challenge.

- I actually enjoy the Gen 6 EXP System along with the EXP Share. Probably because half of my team in X are Wonder Traded, since I cannot go over the level where the traded Pokemon disobey you. I replace them with new Pokemon I caught when I'm grinding, and this helps me to fill in parts of the Pokedex and I liked it.

- I don't think Red is better than Ash (I just find them more like apples and oranges), unless it's confirmed that Red has caught every single Pokemon and travelled everywhere other than Kanto, (partly) Johto and (partly) Unova.

- Gen 5 is one of my most favorite generations. But eh, there's none that I hated at all either.

pkmin3033

Here comes one I don't think many people are going to share or like, but one I have felt increasingly the more I've thought about it:

Pokemon Z, or any sequel to X and Y, is a terrible idea. Nintendo would be much better off abandoning Kalos entirely and working on the seventh generation and never going back to the sixth with another title. The sixth generation was never anything more than a stopgap; a test run to see how Pokemon would run on the 3DS.

A minimal amount of effort was put into the sixth generation: it had a ridiculously small number of new Pokemon, a tiny new region to explore, a lackluster plot even by Pokemon's standards (WTF is Team Flare supposed to be?) and a dull, grainy visual style that was not even close to pushing the 3DS hardware to its limits. In every sense, it was a mediocre generation. Not awful like BW - which did redeem itself with B2W2 in my opinion - but everything about it oozed half-arsed. Going back to it with minimal plot differences and focusing on another forgettable Legendary being hunted by the most forgettable team - because you just know that is EXACTLY what Pokemon Z will be; it'll be damn near identical to X/Y save for the Zygarde on the cover of the box - is a terrible idea.

No amount of postgame can salvage the wreck that was Kalos either, so Nintendo would be better served by moving on and putting a decent amount of effort into the seventh generation and returning to the quality they lost after the fourth generation ended.

There. I said it. Feel free to rip into me, but that's just how I feel about it. I'm still waiting for a Pokemon game on the 3DS that evokes the same feelings in me that I got from the first to fourth generations, and I don't think anything set in Kalos can deliver that experience.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • - Shiny Pokemon are dumb. Rather than using questionable, seemingly-random at times color palettes, the sprites really should've been carefully designed.

Thisss. I don't hate it, and I do like it whenever I get them, I still find don't particularly see how changing colour schemes would make a major difference.

Oh and @GiovanniViridian Nuzruns aren't as hard as you think, and they aren't annoying either. I used to think I would suck at them but I tried it out and turns out I wasn't. It's just practice that matters. And if your too lazy to grind, let's hear this: I know plenty of ancient Nuzlockers who could still do decently even though underlevelled. It's not annoying at all really, it's more hard on the challenging side.
    If you don't want to grind, then nuz XY.

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • -Pikachu is just a freaking franchise MASCOT and not the best MON ever
    -The Anime seems very CHILDISH
    -Pokemon Special should have an Anime Version
    -Mega Evolution should not be given to Legendaries.COME ON GAME FREAK!
    -Zubat should deserve more love
    -Dunsparce should have a MEGA EVO
    -Ash's Unova team really SUCKS
    -Who the **** was the Kanto Champion before Blue?
    _

Years
  • -Ash's Unova team really SUCKS

This. I know 5th Gen was my fave in terms of the games, but Ash's team was handled so bad in this generation's anime. None of his starters fully evolved, the only true powerhouses he had were Krookodile (and to a lesser extent, Leavanny). The worst of all? Palpitoad getting next to nothing in terms of screentime.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I don't get the hype about the Eeveelutions. The love for them baffles me. They're just really boring. The only thing I've ever used them for is filling Pokedexes, and that's all I'll ever use them for.

Edit: Forgot to add: Lucario. What is the big deal with that thing? I don't understand why it seems to be revered by everyone. Why does it get its own movie? Why does it get this apparently important role in X and Y? I box it the second I can get to a PC and never give it a second thought.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    -I cannot stand competitive battling. I became so obsessed with it that I wasn't even enjoying pokemon anymore. So I quit it cold turkey. I use pokemon that I like and I don't pay attention to the natures.
    -I like Pokemon Rumble World way more than Shuffle. Shuffle is rather greedy.
    -I'm not a big fan of Steven Stone. I prefer Maxie (or even Archie)
    -I really like Meganium
    -I think Bidoof is cute.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • ~R/S/E are still the weakest entries in the mainline series.
    ~Pokemon Snap was cute back in the day, back when I was a kid, but it would need to be expanded until a full adventure if it were to ever get a sequel. Otherwise leave it back in the past.
    ~The Pokemon Following feature is overhyped, and - to be honest - kind of annoying. Amie is much better.
    ~Leaf is my Indigo League Plateau (Kanto) Champion. I have played since Generation I. I just think that Red needs to quit hogging up the spotlight.
    ~I love Pokemon like Unown, because they are very unique and world-building.
    ~I could not care less about competitive play, nor do I even pay attention to stats at all. I pick Pokemon I like, and enjoy the game.
    ~Generation V was a great generation. For example, I loved needing to play through B/W with only brand new Pokemon. It was refreshing.
    ~(May not be all of that unpopular) Generation VI had a reasonable amount of new Pokemon. The only problem was how they were distributed throughout the games. Really, if they had added any more Pokemon people would have been complaining. Can't win, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    - The POKéMON anime should be replaced by an animated version of POKéMON adventures

- It's POKéMON not Pokémon idiots

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • I don't see why everyone wanted Charizard to be dragon type. Doesn't make that much sense to me and a dragon type starter is just stupid for main series pokemon games.

Don't care what anyone says Gen 5 is the best. The story was the best by far and wasn't like anything I've ever seen in anything to do with pokemon. People say pokemon designs were lacking but the only pokemon they bring up are Vanilluxe and Garboder. For one I don't mind them as I like pokemon to be based off of random day to day stuff and how can you say the designs were bad when you only mention 2 pokemon out of all the 150 that were introduced? And I highly doubt the other gens didn't have a couple bad pokemon designs either so I find Gen 5 haters stupid.

I kind of like Magikarp. I know everyone loves to make him a meme but I like the idea of a weak, derpy pokemon evolving into an epic fan favorite.

I don't mind all the Fire, Fighting starters. Sure it wasn't a genius idea from Game Freak but I think people overreact about it. After all Chimchar and Torchic are a lot of peoples favorite starters.

Back