• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    -The first gen is not the greatest gen. It was an experiment and the games are not that great when compared to newer ones.
    -Probopass is awesome!
    -Legendaries are overrated and there are too many. Like, seriously, we don't need 7 or 8 new ones for each generation. 5 should be the limit.
    -Canine pokemon are overrated.
    -There need to be more bird pokemon.

Years
  • 1. The meta isn't fun. I play for the in-game only.
    2. Lucario has a meh design.
    3. Gen 5 is the best region.
    4. Everyone only recently started liking Steven Stone...Cynthia and Lance are by far better in every way. His character was not very memorable in RSE, bland design, and steel types are my least favorite.
    5. I love gimmicky pokemon. Whether it's a customizable poodle, seasonal deer, male/female counterparts, cute heart-shape fish (not alomamolasmomaoma), Monkey Trio, an ugly fish that transforms into a the most beautiful pokemon, or a fox/kitten/puppy that can transform into a variety of types. If the gimmick is done right, I like. Too many people think "gimmick" is necessarily "bad"...please do justify.

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
    Years
  • I think that evolution by trade is completely stupid. Sure, it encourages social interaction, but you're kinda screwed when you're the only one in your community with a DS or something.

Talonflame is a horrendously bland name.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    These are always hard, since what is seen as an unpopular opinion can differ depending on the parts of fandom you know. For example, lots of pockets of the Pokémon community dislike gen V, but the fans I know all thought it was a great game.

Hmm, though I guess:
    - I really like most of the normal type fodder pokémon (Rattata, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Sentret) and will happily use them as something other than a HM slave.
    - I'm not crazy about Blaziken or Lucario (... this list could go on, TBH.)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Some more unpopular opinions...

- I don't believe Flygon deserves a Mega more than Druddigon or Lickilicky.
    - Mega Charizard X's design could have been better.
    - People care way too much about design.
    - Hoopa-Unbound is the ugliest Pokemon ever, but I still like it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I actually like the Kalos Elite Four along with their battle theme, as well as the championship Battle with Diantha along with that theme.

Its really funny how the Kalos Elite Four get shit on by fan criticism because of their lack of numbers, pokemon lineup-wise (only having 4 members) instead of 5 like what most of the games had. The thing is that the levels of their pokemon are high, especially if you consider going through X/Y with the highest member of your own team at only the early level 60s. Ok, yeah 6 on 4 is still a favorable matchup even with lower leveled pokemon, but those people are likely to play on Switch rather than set because they want to make the game much easier on their own end.

Set is for real players. Switch battle mode is basically the whole reason why the games have been easy. People know who's coming next so they naturally pick the counter for the next match freely, rather than play the mode where switch ins are still punished.

Years
  • Set is for real players. Switch battle mode is basically the whole reason why the games have been easy. People know who's coming next so they naturally pick the counter for the next match freely, rather than play the mode where switch ins are still punished.
    Unless I'm trying to level up a weaker Pokemon, I always use the set option. More recently though, I'll switch in a low leveled Pokemon with a Lucky Egg every time an opponent's high leveled Pokemon faints, just to speed up the levelling process. I'd have no problem if Gyms + the Elite Four had a mandatory set option though, much like the Battle Tower, Maison, etc.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I was way too arrogant with what i said about Switch and Set. I'll get real here.

There's really nothing wrong with anyone preferring to play the game on Switch because they don't want to get punished too much with switch ins, like say playing the early game where leveling the weak mons is a must, which i really don't find anything wrong. After all, its just the early game and even i don't want to make the whole pokemon raising thing a tedious process. As a player who OFTEN EV TRAINS POKEMON even on just casual in-game runs (even moreso in playing monotype challenges), free switch outs is something i do for most of the early-mid game until the late game where my final lineup to face the E4 and champ have all been fully EV Trained.

But yes, i just said that some, if not most people really miss out a lot when they play on Switch because Set requires a different tactical perspective where one player asks if he/she's willing to take the punished switch in or not, or let the standing Pokemon get KO'd so that the switch in gets the free hit or the revenge KO and set up, or take advantage of the well crafted movesets of their pokemon in order to have coverage against what would come out.

I'll still stand on my stance though. Playing the whole game on Switch is basically the "Easy" mode of Pokemon. Knowing what comes out next from the enemy in-game trainers really just enables any player to just freely switch out a natural counter instead of preparing for the worst or being more tactically creative. I really do wish that they could have added a MANDATORY SET OPTION when facing the Elite Four and Champion to cement that the Pokemon League is the last challenge the players go through the core game, before taking on the Battle Frontier/Resort related content and eventually competitive PVP battling to even POKEsports. It wouldn't really hurt the casual players to have a little difficulty spike anyway since reaching the E4 and champion assumes that the player has already learned a lot from going through the region's 8 gyms, fighting against trainers, and foiling evil crime syndicate plans.

Continuing on topic: I have a lot to unload upon. I'm ready to catch the flames that I'm fanning.

- I also tend to not use the Gen 6 EXP Share because its really cheap, unless I'm EV Farming multiple pokemon with the same EV requirements. I guess its universally agreed that the gen 6 EXP Share is really crud and cheesy, again, EV Farming multiple pokemon with the same EV requirements feels so "fun" (because we all know, EV Farming/Training is really a chore) but using the expshare greatly lessens the chore. (especially when farming hordes for EVs). So is Gen 6 EXP Share cheap? Yes it is, but it gets the multi-EV training job done. It really helps the newly hatched eggs get the EXP and EVs that they need. Earthquaking or surfing hordes just feels so satisfying.

- Gen 7 should it push through, should start what Gen 5 intended to do. No familiar pokemon. Let players re-experience the Gen 5 Unova experience of raising and catching unfamiliar pokemon. Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company have 3 years to come up with 152+++ new pokemon.

- Lets get real, Flying would definitely want a split between Bird and Wind type.

- Fairy type is OP, better nerf Irelia RITO PLZ (3 resistances, 1 ultra godlike immunity, only weak against defensive types that are rarely used offensively and only resisted by those said types, along with a type that was never defensive in the first place in Fire type? Really now)

- I'll get real here. Valerie's Fairy gym in Kalos is basically the closest thing to a whorehouse. Just look at those trainers inside.

- As much as I love Gen 4 and Sinnoh, it just feels like an extension of its predecessors. I basically played Platinum and I made a lineup that's almost identical to my RSE lineups of old aside from Infernape.

- Event only pokemon aren't worth it. Lets get real here. The only purpose they have is to let others know that you actually support Pokemon related events and promotions. They aren't super duper must haves that would make you a poke-god in your game or even against other competitive battlers.

- I actually like Short haired anime Serena. I always thought that she needed some separation from her in-game counterpart (which basically has no character anyway since its just a player avatar, unless people play as the male PC) then again, Short haired Serena/Female PC can be done with a simple salon visit.

- The pokemon side series games in my unpopular opinion are missed opportunities. They are great games with great potential to vitalize our beloved series and franchise. Colosseum in particular was that game. XD: Gale of Darkness was alright as a game that refined the problems its predecessor had. but it still had questionable gameplay design flaws.

- People tend to give a lot of praise for Gen 2 and Johto. I agree. What i did question is that why is the Johto part of Gen 2 hilariously underleveled.

- I liked it better when Gamefreak still worked with GAMEFREAK only. The Pokemon Company has really done something to our beloved developers, Ken Sugimori, and the like.

- Gothitelle is more attractive than Gardevoir.

Years
  • Personally I find competitive play to be rather boring. I also would rather take my time in beating a game than steamrolling through them in a week. Along with that I like keeping my Pokémon unevolved for a longer period of time to make the battles in the games more challenging before I evolve a few of them and just play in a way that makes it feel special when I evolve a Pokémon.

I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is but I think Unova was a decent region and actually found it more interesting when it was about using the Unova-only Pokémon and I dislike Kalos' over dependence on past regions and overall lack of regional Pokémon.

Years
  • Nowadays I myself use the Set battle style when it comes to challenges like Nuzlockes or Monotypes, or basically anything that isn't a Wedlocke. Or normal playthroughs when they're my first time going through the game, or when i'm trying to train up a Pokémon i've just bred.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Farfetch'd is one of the most creative and unique Pokemon ever designed.
    I liked Pika better when he was fat.
    Mega Charizard X is a terrible design. Y is a lot better.
    The new EXP Share is a stupid change. Would be fine if we had a way to use the old one. (Options are great game freak)
    DexNav is the best mechanic in Pokemon since ever and I'm already ready to miss it come the next game.
    Gardodor is a FANTASTIC design.
    Genwunner is a childish term that I want dead. For the most part it's nothing but a ridiculous generalization.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I actually like the Kalos Elite Four along with their battle theme, as well as the championship Battle with Diantha along with that theme.

Its really funny how the Kalos Elite Four get muk on by fan criticism because of their lack of numbers, pokemon lineup-wise (only having 4 members) instead of 5 like what most of the games had. The thing is that the levels of their pokemon are high, especially if you consider going through X/Y with the highest member of your own team at only the early level 60s. Ok, yeah 6 on 4 is still a favorable matchup even with lower leveled pokemon, but those people are likely to play on Switch rather than set because they want to make the game much easier on their own end.

Set is for real players. Switch battle mode is basically the whole reason why the games have been easy. People know who's coming next so they naturally pick the counter for the next match freely, rather than play the mode where switch ins are still punished.

Holy freaking crap
    ! So that is what it does?! LMAO
    After 7 years of playing, now I find out what Set and Switch are lmao.
    Thanks! lol

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    While I understand that smogon can be useful for people who want help/advice, it really aggravates me when people think that *only* OU/Ubers Pokemon can be used competitively. Particularly if they think it also must have the suggested moveset and EV spread.

Charizard is okay. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I do use its mega evolutions competitively, but it's solely because they fit nicely into my teams.

I've begun to like mega Sableye. I really love Sableye and it's often my support pokemon of choice, so I don't appreciate the loss of Prankster. However, it seems really useful to be able to mega evolve and gain Magic Bounce to bounce Taunt back, if you predict well. I imagine it could be a decent attacker in Trick Room, as well, but it's awfully slow otherwise.

I hate Conkeldurr's design with a passion, but it's amazing in Trick Room and overall quite useful. Such good abilities too.

Edit:
    I forgot the anime. I don't like it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    Its really funny how the Kalos Elite Four get **** on by fan criticism because of their lack of numbers, pokemon lineup-wise (only having 4 members) instead of 5 like what most of the games had. The thing is that the levels of their pokemon are high, especially if you consider going through X/Y with the highest member of your own team at only the early level 60s..

TBH, I think they could have had 5 Pokemon even with the higher levels, just because of the way the EXP Share got rejigged. I know so many people who were way overlevelled during XY because they never switched EXP Share off (guilty).

Although, they could always just reintroduce challenge mode (without those bloody keys) or make set/switch a more prominent option (e.g. have either of them at the beginning of the game along with are you a boy or a girl). Personally, I always forget about the options menu after I switch the text speed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Now, let's see:

- I don't like the way Pokemon gets EXP after Gen VI. I liked it more when the EXP was divided for the number of Pokemon that took part at the battle.
    - I liked Unown since the day I discovered them.
    - I like using HM to advance in the story.
    - I like a lot the Pokedex in ORAS.
    - I think that the most bad Pokemon games (of the core series) were the first ones: Red, Blue and Green.
    - I don't mind baby Pokemon.
    - It wasn't such a disappointment to me the absence of the Battle Frontier in ORAS even if, though, I would kind of liked if there was in it.

These are my opinions for now.

Eight.Bit

May
    Years
  • If ANYONE agrees with these points, tell me.
    Because I'm starting to think I'm the only one who has these opinions...
    -The new pokemon are better than the old pokemon.
    -The newer pokemon starters have better designs than the old pokemon starters
    -Charizard and Umbreon are over-rated
    -The newer games are too complicated
    -Fighting wild pokemon for EXP points is seriously f.u.c.king boring
    -The trash can/ice cream pokemon are way cool. Just because they're based off objects doesn't mean crap.
    -Gold is a douchebag
    -Paul is the cutest guy in the pokemon anime
    -Red is way over-rated. Like, the pokemon trainer himself.
    -Team Plasma had an understandable point of view

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I like the designs of Vanillite and Litwick and I think they are very creative. Apparently a lot of people don't think so, but that's okay.

Johto is my least favourite region. Apparently this is unpopular because most people I know love Johto and Gen II.

Back