• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

President Barack Obama Awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • Pathetic.

How is this man deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize only nine months into office, when most of his policies haven't even had time to take effect? It's great that he's trying to spread peace and reduce the use of nuclear weapons and stuff, but I was under the impression that you actually had to accomplish something before winning a peace prize...

It's clear most of the world loves Obama for whatever reason, but I think he was given this award for the wrong reasons. There's way too much political bias for me to think that he was awarded purely on his peace efforts, especially since there's a huge difference in participating in peace talks and actually creating peace.

I kind of agree. I agree with him not deserving it, because lol, he hasn't really done anything yet. It's a nice gesture, but he sure didn't deserve it.

On the other hand, while you're right about there being a difference between peace talks and actually creating peace, it sure is a step forward given the USA's reputation as a bully that is too arrogant to consider anything except its own interests. The "for whatever reason" is that he's at least trying to be reasonable and be peaceful. Honestly, I don't really think political bias had all that much to do with it.

But those differences aside, I agree that he didn't deserve it. Once he does something really worth something, I'll be more comfortable with him having this. It's a tad early to be giving this to the guy, even for as likable and as reasonable as he seems to be. But hey, I'm not really furious or anything. He's at least trying to make peace, and that alone is worth some kind of recognition...probably not something this big though. lol.

yeah I agree with you if anything he has done more bad to our contry (the stimu-less bill) (corpuless bill) (affganstan)

Obama's domestic policies have nothing to do with the Nobel Peace Prize. And we've been in Afghanistan for years ~_~

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I, like many others, am rather shocked at him being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. In my opinion, though he's a very inspirational man and a rather great leader for the United States of America as well as other countries he visits, he doesn't deserve this award in the least. Most of the many people awarded this prize did something so outstanding that took so long to accomplish in order to even be considered for the prize. I don't think just a few months in office is really enough for someone who did very little, yet many others may disagree even though it's only been about a year since he took office. But I suppose that that's expected in a new president since it usually takes about half their term for things to finally start getting the way they're expected).

The only thing I've noticed since he's taken office was that it was a lot easier for my family to get on day to day with expenses and the like. This may or may not go back to him, but that's all that's really affected my life directly. There may be others, but at this point in time, I'm not one to really keep up with politics as much as I used to. It's a shame, but regardless...

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
  • I honestly thought the news of this was a joke, but it was true. Any person can repeat these empty promises that Obama makes but until they are fulfilled I think it is just that: empty promises. I hope he proves me wrong. For the sake of America I hope so.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples"

That's okay I guess.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    You guys know that nominations for the nobel peace prize closed 12 days after he was elected into office, right?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've been trying to write this post for the last eighteen hours, lol. It's hard to phrase it properly because I don't want to come off as a probama sorta guy, nor do I want to come off as a nobama sorta guy. So bare with me! For everyone who's saying, 'he hasn't done anything to deserve this,' do you actually know what the Nobel Peace Prize is actually awarded for?

This is copied and pasted from Wikipedia (so we all know it's super reliable amirite?):

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded to the person who:

"During the preceding year [...] shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

I didn't understand it myself, so I decided to go and research it a bit. Found out the Peace Prize isn't awarded for any so-called acts of peace but actually for supporting peace. It's basically a way of saying, 'this guy's doing a good thing, let's give him some recognation and a pat on the back so everyone knows it's a good thing.' You don't need to stop two wars or to make some country stop making nuclear weapons, you've got to try. Whatever about Obama deserving it or not, at least know why or why he shouldn't. Personally I think he could have done more more to be awarded the Peace Prize, but now that he's got it, well, that's cool too. If it makes someone think, 'maybe Obama's doing the right thing - maybe peace is the way to go,' then it should be good enough for all of us.

Also I laughed out loud at someone who said that everyone else who got the Peace Prize did more than Obama has. That's true, but most of them did it after they were awarded the prize.

Either way I don't really care, to be honest. He's not my president and one award isn't going to decide whether he's the greatest president of all time, but there's no need to shoot him down once you realise why he was given the award in the first place.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • "During the preceding year [...] shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."
    done the most or the best work
    Seems pretty obvious why people are saying he doesn't deserve it. He hasn't done the most or best work for anything yet.

Years
  • You guys know that nominations for the nobel peace prize closed 12 days after he was elected into office, right?

Yeah pretty much. But the committee had multiple months to vote on who will win based off the nominations. For all I know it was probably just a joke nomination. XD

And yes, you guys do know that the Nobel Committee has expanded the definition of those worthy for the prize since it's inception no?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You guys know that nominations for the nobel peace prize closed 12 days after he was elected into office, right?

Well, if we really want to jump into that, I suppose there's two or three reasonable answers to it. The most obvious, of course, would be that Obama made a lot of promises and people thought he was going to keep them. I remember when he was elected, for the first month or so everything looked like it was doing awesome. 'He triumphs over this, he managed that.' I'm not surprised he was nominated for it before he had a chance to do anything, because everyone expected him to do a lot in the time between the nominations and the awards. And even then if he hadn't lived up to what they were expecting, someone else would've gotten the award. No big problem. The second one is that it was done as a joke, or a publicity stunt.

Seems pretty obvious why people are saying he doesn't deserve it. He hasn't done the most or best work for anything yet.

Ah, but neither did most of the other people who got the award until after they received it. Everybody knows what Obama's aiming towards and they want to say, 'hey, you're doing a good thing, we're right behind you,' that's why he got the award. Because they expect him to keep doing what he's doing, and eventually get to the point where he has done the best or the most work.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Ah, but neither did most of the other people who got the award until after they received it.
    I would be interested to see your source on this. I doubt you looked up every single peace prize winner and checked to see if their works were primarily done before or after receiving the prize, and other people are saying the exact opposite: that the majority of winners did their works before receiving the prize.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023

Yeah pretty much. But the committee had multiple months to vote on who will win based off the nominations. For all I know it was probably just a joke nomination. XD

And yes, you guys do know that the Nobel Committee has expanded the definition of those worthy for the prize since it's inception no?
    But whether it's 12 days or 12 months, he still hasn't done anything. Nothing. Zilch. Nadda. Zip. Bang. Buck. Whoosh.

So if it was a joke nomination then why was it taken seriously?

Well, if we really want to jump into that, I suppose there's two or three reasonable answers to it. The most obvious, of course, would be that Obama made a lot of promises and people thought he was going to keep them. I remember when he was elected, for the first month or so everything looked like it was doing awesome. 'He triumphs over this, he managed that.' I'm not surprised he was nominated for it before he had a chance to do anything, because everyone expected him to do a lot in the time between the nominations and the awards. And even then if he hadn't lived up to what they were expecting, someone else would've gotten the award. No big problem. The second one is that it was done as a joke, or a publicity stunt.

Ah, but neither did most of the other people who got the award until after they received it. Everybody knows what Obama's aiming towards and they want to say, 'hey, you're doing a good thing, we're right behind you,' that's why he got the award. Because they expect him to keep doing what he's doing, and eventually get to the point where he has done the best or the most work.
    Neither of your answers are reasonable. Making promises and a few charismatic speeches should not warrant being given such a prize. You get a prize if you've done something - they don't award sprinters before they finish the race, do they?
    If it was just a joke then that makes the Nobel Peace Prize a joke as well. Not that it already wasn't.
    I would be interested to see your source on this. I doubt you looked up every single peace prize winner and checked to see if their works were primarily done before or after receiving the prize, and other people are saying the exact opposite: that the majority of winners did their works before receiving the prize.

The Nobel Peace Prize pretty much means nothing anyway, especially considering that Yasser Arafat got the damn award as well. Which is a shame, because Mother Theresa did as well :/

Years
  • Making promises and a few charismatic speeches should not warrant being given such a prize. You get a prize if you've done something - they don't award sprinters before they finish the race, do they?
    It's not a race, silly. You don't invest in a start-up company after it's become successful just like you don't wait to water your garden until after it's given you vegetables. It may be called a prize, but it's meant to propel people who are already moving in the direction of peace to continue toward that aim.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It's not a race, silly. You don't invest in a start-up company after it's become successful just like you don't wait to water your garden until after it's given you vegetables. It may be called a prize, but it's meant to propel people who are already moving in the direction of peace to continue toward that aim.
    Yeah, and you still don't award sprinters before they have finished the race.

Your definition of "prize" is just as narrow as mine, if not more narrow. Even if we were to just run by your definition, what reason do they have to give him the award?

You invest in a start-up company expecting profit in return, but you don't do it without blindly (unless you're a gambler). You water your garden because it's common knowledge that doing so will probably help the plants grow better.

But why place bets on him when all he has done is conduct a few speeches, betray allies, and bow to the king of Saudi Arabia?

Heck, why was he nominated in the first place? Nominations closed 12 days after he was elected, and all he had back then were promises. The nomination should have been completely disregarded.

Oh wait, he's the messiah, I forgot.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    O, the Anointed One, Barack Hussein Obama (mm-mm-mm!)

no, I can't do it.

Someone show me any results of peace that have come directly from him, and I'll give this thing a thought. But right now, there's nothing that warrants any sort of debate~

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    O, the Anointed One, Barack Hussein Obama (mm-mm-mm!)

no, I can't do it.

Someone show me any results of peace that have come directly from him, and I'll give this thing a thought. But right now, there's nothing that warrants any sort of debate~

O RLY?
    However, I don't think that is enough for him to earn a peace prize.
    Amachi, you expect higher the human species. That is your problem, even though you complain despite it not being important(from what you, yourself said.)

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I would just like to say I agree with Scarf completely.

The committee wanted to encourage Barack Obama to complete his goals, and give him an award that would help him do so. He may or may not complete them, but the point is that his ideas are generally peaceful ones. The Nobel Prize committee wanted to encourage those ideas, especially in America where we've had a warmonger for a president the last eight years.

If you like, you can think of it as rewarding his ideas and not the man. At least, that's how I see it.

You invest in a start-up company expecting profit in return, but you don't do it without blindly (unless you're a gambler). You water your garden because it's common knowledge that doing so will probably help the plants grow better.

Yeah, exactly. I think your second metaphor fits the Nobel Prize committee's logic best though.

Oh wait, he's the messiah, I forgot.
    Wow, you're funny. Haven't heard that one before.

Last edited:
    Years
  • But whether it's 12 days or 12 months, he still hasn't done anything. Nothing. Zilch. Nadda. Zip. Bang. Buck. Whoosh.

So if it was a joke nomination then why was it taken seriously?

Shows how hard it is to change things from top to bottom. Then again why was Morgan Tsavangirai even mentioned if he hasn't changed anything too in Zimbabwe?

I was joking myself. :P

Meh, I've already stated my position, it's just to push him into a more diplomatic stance.

Back