• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prism League Discussion (Previously "Our own Pokemon X/Y League")

Leaders/E4 using Pokemon whose Megas change to a different type, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2016
    Sorry for the long absence. This semester has been kicking my ass. Now that it's starting to wind down I can accept challenges more frequently if I haven't been fired already XD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sorry for the long absence. This semester has been kicking my ass. Now that it's starting to wind down I can except challenges more frequently if I haven't been fired already XD
    Glad to see you're still around. We still have you down as a Gym Leader.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Thank you :)

So have I missed anything important?
    We're currently trying to figure out what to do about the mega stones introduced in ORAS since they prevent you from battling with X/Y players if you're using one. So if you could weigh in on that, that'd be great.

Have you gotten ORAS, btw?

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2016
    I don't have ORAS yet but I'll probably end up getting it the next time I get paid.

So X/Y folks can't battle ORAS folks if they're using the new mega stones? That seems like a huge oversight on Gamefreak's part...wait...never mind I think I misunderstood what you said XD

I don't have ORAS but I don't mind if anybody uses the new megas when they battle me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So X/Y folks can't battle ORAS folks if they're using the new mega stones? That seems like a huge oversight on Gamefreak's part...wait...never mind I think I misunderstood what you said XD

I don't have ORAS but I don't mind if anybody uses the new megas when they battle me.
    No, you got it right the first time. If you have a Pokemon with an ORAS mega stone and try to battle an X/Y player, the game won't let you battle until you unequip the mega stone.

It seems really dumb on Game Freak's part, especially when games of past generations have always been 100% compatible with each other.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I'm seeing on a number of sites that you can still play with one another across games, barring new stuff - whiiiiiich, may allow us a crippled cross game support? If you're challenging on X/Y, the gym leaders could just not use ORAS stuff- but being a challenger in ORAS would mean you'd have to forego all ORAS exclusive things on your challenge team :I

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Might it be worth splitting the 3DS league up for now OR implementing the 6 + 2 switch pokémon rule, and gym leaders state what game they're using: XY or ORAS. Then if someone with ORAS doesn't wish to battle with a ORAS mega in it's non-mega form, they can switch it out? if that makes sense.
    That sounds like a good idea actually. What does everyone else think?

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • If there is XY + ORAS battle support, then I'd say that only allowing things that can be used in XY and ORAS should be allowed. But then there's little point in battling using ORAS over XY, so there's that.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Wait a moment. Can someone from OR battle someone in XY using an OR/AS Mega?

That seems kinda unfair. It screams the need for a patch.

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • I think Game Freak said they weren't patching ORAS megas and primals into XY which sucks. Plus the new megas will no doubt impact the metagame differently, so by only allowing things XY and ORAS allow we will essentially be in an outdated meta. Pretty much a dead end.
    Outdated... I didn't think of it that way. Probably because I'm used to outdated things. Only console I've got is a PS2. :P

I like the +2 rule temporarily with switching out a non-compatible mega for computability's sake. We can try that methinks -

Gym Leaders can just use or not use Megas / new content depending on wether the challenger is ORAS capable or not.
    Good idea, but then there's what Psylocke said. Outdated Metagame. If 'cha1' uses Y and challenges 'le1' who uses OR, then 'cha2' who uses the exact same team as 'cha1' but uses AS and a new Mega Stone (maybe Pidgotnite) challenges 'le1', 'cha2' could have a strategy drastically different than what 'cha1' had.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2016
    I think Game Freak said they weren't patching ORAS megas and primals into XY which sucks. Plus the new megas will no doubt impact the metagame differently, so by only allowing things XY and ORAS allow we will essentially be in an outdated meta. Pretty much a dead end.

WTF? As much as they catered to competitive players with this gen, why would they do that?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Good idea, but then there's what Psylocke said. Outdated Metagame. If 'cha1' uses Y and challenges 'le1' who uses OR, then 'cha2' who uses the exact same team as 'cha1' but uses AS and a new Mega Stone (maybe Pidgotnite) challenges 'le1', 'cha2' could have a strategy drastically different than what 'cha1' had.
    That's a part of battles though. Most Pokemon are capable of running different sets, so people can use the same Pokemon but have different strategies.

WTF? As much as they catered to competitive players with this gen, why would they do that?

Game Freak: Doing **** that doesn't make sense with no (good) explanation since 1995.

So, uh, is everyone ok with implementing Psylocke's idea, or does everyone still need more time to think about it?

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • We might as well roll with it. People are getting ORAS, and and the longer we take to make up our mind, the longer they have to wait. I'm expecting a small, short burst of activity when people start getting good teams together.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    At some point, I think it would be a good idea to mandate OR/AS as the dominant game for Gym purposes. Players will no doubt be wanting to use their Megas from OR/AS and will be upset that they have to swap out their potentially best member for someone of lower calibre and butcher their challenges.

So I will suggest, for the short term, allow the swap-out, but let's say at the end of January mandate that everyone have their teams either migrated to OR/AS (we can breed babies for the Egg Moves as needed). This really applies to the League membership only because challengers not using the new content does not affect us hosting challenges in either game, whereas us taking the challenge and saying you can't use, say, Mega Diancie (I'm going to consider this once I get the Mega Stone) because we're still playing on X or Y is basically butchering a challenger.

If two months isn't enough, we can move this to the end of February or even March, but that should be plenty of time for all Gym Leaders and E4 in the 3DS Division to move over. And we're possibly going to have this problem when Z or whatever's next comes, as well, so we'll address it again then.

Personally, I'm addicted to the DexNav right now and still haven't left Route 102, so I'm taking the opportunity to get my baby starter Eggs over with some Rare Candies and Balm Mushrooms so I can get some money over there. Poochyena on 101 and 103 are also of extreme interest, especially if I can nab one with Play Rough, since that is Dark with a good Fairy type move for future breeding.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back