• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years

• YES YES YES YES YES. Our lists are identical. You gets a cookie.

The only thing I legitimately don't like, is that I have to wait another 6 months to play them. Ok that and the fighting trio is ugly, but hey. That's it. Yes, these games are that amazing.
    I also agree only I think the fighting trio isn't ugly, I love those three :)

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    This maybe random, but I really like the little tidbits about Pokémon names on the TV. Like for example, there was one about Squirtle.

It would say something like:

ZENIGAME

GAMEZENI (playing with the romanized name)

then say the name SQUIRTLE, then write out Squirtle in Katakana, then explain the origin of the name. I find it kinda cool that the Japanese games are now referencing the English names too.

I've also seen one for Machop and Turtwig too.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • The Opening

The opening to the game is by far the best I've seen; hands down. (I'm playing"Black" right now)

Last edited:

Lumière

Harmony
    Years
  • Overall I'm loving the game so far. The 3-D like aspects are amazing which makes me curious of how it would look on the 3DS. The music is awesome (I so wanna buy the soundtrack)! And it took me awhile but now I'm warming up to the looks of the 5th gen pokemon.

Some of the things I don't like include the touch screen thing like some have mentioned before. I wish it could switch between the C-Gear and the other menu on the touch screen so you can choose which one you want to stay visible. Another thing I've noticed is that on the Pokedex there isn't a height comparison between the trainer and the pokemon (which helps me visualize how big the pokemon is). Or maybe I haven't figured out how to get it?
    I also don't like the time limit on the Dream World and wish you can access it whenever you want without waiting a whole day. And how you have to wait until it's less crowded to access it on the site. I also wish you can customize the C-Gear in-game instead of through the website.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I dislike some of the new moves created. And some of the Pokemon look a bit... strange -___-

Let's take the move "Butterfly Dance" for example: +1 in 3 stats?!? It's gonna be so broken in the future.. lol.

..or maybe I'm just complaining because i suck at pogemonz.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Pros:
    - A beautiful new region
    - Plenty of new ghost types
    - Shadera!!!!
    - No More Contests
    - I quite like a lot of the new pokemon
    - NO MORE PIKACHU!

Cons:
    - The replacement for contests
    - The gym puzzles. For something with stunning 3D-ness, I was expecting a bit more creativity with the gyms.
    - They got rid of Dark Pulse, Iron Tail and Dragon Pulse as TM's, but they kept rubbish like Thunder Wave and Swagger.
    - The starter. They were a huge disappointment IMO. The Water... something, is OK. It has a bit of flexibility in what it can do, not much, but its still there. The Grass Snake is just a grass type, capable of little else, and we have yet another Fire/Fighting starter. Oh Joy.

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Some recent cons that surfaced for me:
    - Less bag pockets compared to DPt
    - PC box still not as easy to manipulate than RSE
    - Bicycle is faster, but not necessarily easy to handle
    - Encount rates seems to be higher than HGSS
    - Passerby survey has little returns compared with the time you spend with your DS switched on
    - Some menu functions (well, C-Gear) is only responsive to touch, and not the DS buttons
    - The bottom screen of your DS is pretty much dead when you have the C-Gear turned off
    - Some Gym leaders don't really do anything in the storyline. It's mostly Yaakon and Aloe who are really involved
    - Dark Trinity seems forced. You don't get to battle them, and the only purpose they serve in the plot is to push you ahead

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
  • Cons:
    -The touch screen is for poke gear which is useless and I have to used the the A button for most of the time except when I'm battling.
    -the box system looks so complicated. I find that I love the way how the boxes work in HG/SS
    - the designs are like just for having a pokemon but not all of them look really bad

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    con: poison doesnt get you when you walk around.. thats what made the type so deadly (for the player atleast) but now its no different from burn..

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • con: poison doesnt get you when you walk around.. thats what made the type so deadly (for the player atleast) but now its no different from burn..

Seriously? :cer_no: I dislike getting poisoned at all really, but having poison afflict you during battle and in the overworld made it unique, since it doesn't have a secondary effect in battle like Burn's Attack reduction or Paralysis's Speed reduction. That overworld effect made it so Trainers would be sure to bring an Antidote or Pecha Berry just in case. IMO, it also added a bit of tension in the overworld if you were journeying and got lost in a cave or forest. You'd plan out your steps carefully to conserve the Pokemon's health until you managed to reach a Pokemon Center or similar area. :cer_nod:

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Seriously? :cer_no: I dislike getting poisoned at all really, but having poison afflict you during battle and in the overworld made it unique, since it doesn't have a secondary effect in battle like Burn's Attack reduction or Paralysis's Speed reduction. That overworld effect made it so Trainers would be sure to bring an Antidote or Pecha Berry just in case. IMO, it also added a bit of tension in the overworld if you were journeying and got lost in a cave or forest. You'd plan out your steps carefully to conserve the Pokemon's health until you managed to reach a Pokemon Center or similar area. :cer_nod:

oh i never knew about burns attack reduction..

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Black and white runied it for me

So i wanted to take a brake from my pokemon white to play my HG that i put over 200 hours on, but i couldnt play it more than a moment. the main reasons is

1. ITS TOOOO SLOW!!!!!!

The battles take way too long(the text and the HP bsr goes by slowly), the bike is not as fast.

2. the pokemon stand still during battle

3. The soundtrack is not as good.

Has anybody else gone thru this?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged with pros and cons because people will end up discussing the pros of B/W, when stating why B/W has ruined the previous games for them~

Plus your issues with HGSS should probably go somewhere in the HGSS forum, rather than here.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • All of the Pokemon need to be violently assaulted and killed with chainsaws.

Yeah, you go ahead and just try chainsawing Reshiram, Zekrom, Zoroark, or Enbuoo, what with their menacing designs and innovative origins. I'll be waiting over here in Hoenn, thank you very much. :rambo:

Spoiler:

...another con I noticed in BW are the shoddy move tutors. If you're not in a double or triple battle, there doesn't really seem to be a point to the Oath moves. The elemental Hyper Beams and Draco Meteor Meteoric Swarm are welcome standard additions, of course, but the only other tutored move seems to be Ancient Song, which is sort of unnecessary to be tutored as only one Pokemon can learn it (and it could have easily been a Level-100 learned move or something.)

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Wow some violent posts I just read...
    Pros
    Animated sprites
    cool new legendary pokemon
    Awesome starters
    Looks like a great region to explore
    Con:
    No more pokemon following you around
    Some pokemon looks weird but each gen has it's weird pokemon.

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
    Years
  • i would probably give it a 6 as well i mean like i would have waited another few months for the pokemon to just look cute u know i mean lke there is a point where they have to think it over a bit more

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • i would probably give it a 6 as well i mean like i would have waited another few months for the pokemon to just look cute u know i mean lke there is a point where they have to think it over a bit more

I'm sorry, just... what?

Anyway, I digress. A pro for me is the new step they've taken with the franchise. Deciding to start afresh with an entirely new pokedex was a bold move, and I can't wait to check out what GF has offered us.

And Baffuron. Pro. That is all.

Back