• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonists

Prefer the guy, or the girl?

• Total voters

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
Years
I don't have any problems with the characters. They look great. But still, I think Platina had the best design for the pokemon female characters. But this one almost tops it though. I'm still very pleased with the female character design though. And the male simply looks BA. Almost matches the Charisma of Blue in my opinion..... if not, even more charismatic compared to him.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
I love them. I think the boy looks way better then any before. Much better the the 4th gen guy. And the female is pretty awesome too I think. I love the fact that they look older, makes the game feel more mature.

Azzurra

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 3, 2013
They're both very interesting. I love the guy's hair, it rings originality in my ears.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
The guy's still not wearing shorts. ;_;

I like this girl, :D. Her hair is crazy, but it reminds me of Kay Faraday. :D And she looks really...American, y'know? =|

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
Trainer Backsprite and Pokeball Animation

What do you think of the male trainer backsprite? What do you think of the new pokeball animation?

I like that the trainer is not on the same circle as his pokemon.

Spoiler:

Years
Thoughts on Black & White Trainer Designs

Yup, thanks for merging me, now I feel like a dummy. Haha XD

Anyway, I LOVE these new character designs. I've been thinking about them all morning. ^_^; I think they're incredibly neat, and I actually love both of the designs pretty equally. (I tend to prefer the girl designs most of the time, with the exception of Kris :P) The girl kinda rang of Dawn to me at first, which was a turn off, but now I see her as completely different after not looking at the illustration for a month or so. Her hair is just so... COOL. I love that it's like wavy hair as opposed to the super spiky style that anime and manga is renowned for. And I like her shorts! Yay for practicality... (even though the shorts are a bit wild lol). The boy looks so mature and confident that I was immediately drawn to him. I like his jacket and pants. :3 THUMBS UP FOR SUGIMORI :B

As for who I'll pick to play as... Well, in HGSS I picked the girl. In DPPT I picked the girl. My boyfriend picked the boy in those installments. So he and I are going to switch it up and I'll play mainly as the boy and he'll mainly be the girl.

Of course, I'm buying both games so I'm formulating a female character already... XD;

Anybody thought of their protagonist's name yet? *thinks way too far in the future* I am going to name the boy Tyberius, though I have to find some way to get around the character limit... |:<

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Okay, so, I looked back for a while and didn't see any threads on this topic... So...

What do YOU guys think of the trainers for Black and White? Do you like that they're older? Do you like their designs? Or do you hate them?

As for me, I personally like them a lot! The girl is finally wearing a practical outfit, instead of a skirt! Now she can run around and... Be trainery! xD And I really like the boy's shaggy hair, and he looks a bit more masculine than the protagonists of late...

Please comment and explain! 8D
Actually, we have a big thread on the protagonists already, so I merged yours in. :O

Years
Although I do really like a good Apple Pie, I said that both of them were good. The male character is fairly plain, but is what I would imagine a trainer to look like if I met them on their journey. The female character's outfit is a little more wild and outgoing, but it's a good contrast for the plain male character. The only thing I didn't like is the female's hair... how would a hat stay on with that kind of hair?

Jerme

stupid
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I find the guy to be a fresh breath of air. The past male protagonists were... bland, to me. This one has hair that's typical for a teenager. :P His clothes aren't bad either, I like it.

I love the girl, far too much. Probably my favorite female protagonist yet. Everything about her just rocks.

Would you rather have her walking around a region in flip flops, gamer?

her daisy dukes? hahahaha

but too bad they will still be shrunk down to chibi size

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Although I do really like a good Apple Pie, I said that both of them were good. The male character is fairly plain, but is what I would imagine a trainer to look like if I met them on their journey. The female character's outfit is a little more wild and outgoing, but it's a good contrast for the plain male character. The only thing I didn't like is the female's hair... how would a hat stay on with that kind of hair?

What does everyone have against the girls hair? I think it looks cool and as for the hat, her hair clearly goes through the hole in the back. In fact, that would actually hold it on.

Tiax

It's Show Time
Years
The girl looks like a combination of Dawn from D/P/P and the girl from FR/LG... She even stole the girl's hat. :bandit: They both do look a lot older than the previous Protagonists... Wonder why?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I'm going to choose the girl because I like the way the design is, but I might buy the other version and use the boy.

Furanty

神の右手
Years
I like both. The guy looks ... well, better than Brendan and Lucas together. He resemble Gold, I think. He has this gaze.
The girl is cute and I love her clothes. But that hair! Never mind, compared to Lyra, the new girl is what I was looking for.
As always, I will play both, the boy in Black, the girl in White. Or vice-versa.

Back