• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonists

Prefer the guy, or the girl?

• Total voters

Dawn Rules

<--- Dawn Strong, Smart & Sexy
Years
  • I like the new characters there different and i love the female cuz she looks better than the other female player characters and as for her hair its unique and funky.

As for the male character shes better than the others btw i like them being older because really a 10 year old going on a pokemon journey they should be in school learning Math and English. How can they be smart if they dont go to school.

Years
  • honestly the girl is H-O-T hot!...then again, all of the girls were pretty hot...

And to top it off, i'm a water type, so hot isn't in our dictionary...more like: wet

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Obviously I'm gonna play as the boy being a boy myself, also, I'd definately want his clothes, I think they's suit me, sorta.
    Also, they finally made a girl who is actually a tomboy, and I'm loving her smile, she's pretty damn feisty and spunky.

X75flames

Free starters, PM me
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2014
    The guy finaly looks cool like in Gen III, but a bit more down to earth. Gen IV had horid characters -_-

The girl looks American XD Somthing should be done about the hair, but nothing will. Also, if she's going to be in the show O_O well lets just say, I think she should where a bit more on the lower half before 5 year olds see her.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Both designs are awesome. The boy looks way too similar to Lucas in his Platinum outfit, which is a slight negative for me... From his overworld sprite from a long time ago, I thought he'd have brown spiky hair all around (similar to Kingdom Hearts's Sora, I guess) with a dark gray outfit with red accents.... The actual one is not that bad at all, though...

I really like the spikes on the girl's shorts, though; they seem like a nice innovation... Her hair is designed innovatively as well; it's a nice change... The girl's overworld sprite prototype I saw a long time ago looked like it had a simple ponytail...

I originally hated the fact that both the hair and the eyes of the boy are brown, but maybe it'll become minor thing to me... I really hope they get nice outfits in the third version as well... As I'm playing as the guy (due to he matches my gender), I'm glad that the artwork for him is awesome...

Though the girl is extremely hot, someone mentioned a resemblance to Miley Cyrus... I hope the girl player character just mimics Miley's appearance and not the bad aspects of her personality... :\

And the fact that both of them are older (I'm guessing 16 years old) is a definite plus.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    The girl is H-A-W-T! I'll be naming her White! But i'll be using the boy in my normal game as Black. But the girl we'll be in my restart game.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    the ONE thing that I absolutely hate about the girl protagonist has to be her shoes. Idk but they just don't seem to really fit in with the rest of her outfit. Makes her look a little unfashionable compared to the other protgaonists we've had so far (Lucas and Dawn, high fashion; Black & White, straight out of the thrift store :D)

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • the ONE thing that I absolutely hate about the girl protagonist has to be her shoes. Idk but they just don't seem to really fit in with the rest of her outfit. Makes her look a little unfashionable compared to the other protgaonists we've had so far (Lucas and Dawn, high fashion; Black & White, straight out of the thrift store :D)

She's a tomboy, she's meant to be practical not fashionable, in fact, those boots are perfect for traveling, and that's what ya do in the game.

Swinoob

... [I am not a talker].
    Years
  • The female protagonist's hair is completely messed up, and her shorts :paranoid: are odd at best. I can't believe they made the characters older than ten, either. All of the people in the Pokemon World are legally allowed to become a trainer when they are ten years old, so how are they gonna explain why your character hasn't already started on their journey? Game Freak said they would change a lot in this game, and, so far, it seems that they've only changed what we didn't want to see change. :cer_pissed: So far, I really don't think I'm going to buy this game. :cer_cry:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The female protagonist's hair is completely messed up, and her shorts :paranoid: are odd at best. I can't believe they made the characters older than ten, either. All of the people in the Pokemon World are legally allowed to become a trainer when they are ten years old, so how are they gonna explain why your character hasn't already started on their journey? Game Freak said they would change a lot in this game, and, so far, it seems that they've only changed what we didn't want to see change. :cer_pissed: So far, I really don't think I'm going to buy this game. :cer_cry:

Eh? Maybe for you. I have yet to see a single person complain about the protagonists being older.

Esmas

General
    Years
  • I must say, the male protagonist's design is my favourite character design that I've ever seen in any of the Pokémon games. The contrast of colours is beautiful, and the fact that he is older just makes it look a lot better, as he seems to have a more mature face, a larger build, and a less cartoon-ish design (comparing to the series' predecessors, especially Ethan O___o). Not to mention that his eyes aren't as huge xD;

The female protagonist's design isn't bad, there's just nothing there to exactly draw my attention to it, besides the great colours. I especially like the short shorts, though the pockets are quite strange 8D ...But, really, what's with the hair? o3o;

Oh, and I find it kinda strange that the characters are so...uh...pale. I mean, the last designs were more yellow or orange in skin tone, but seeing as the games are set in a country outside of Japan, I could see why they'd do that. And living in such a futuristic region would block out the sun xD;

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I think we're all missing something here. Something important.

The girl.

Will be in.

The ANIME.

BEST. SEASON. EVER.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    They are both cool! I like the dude, because I am a dude, and the girl is cool too! So I might play as her after my first Playthrough.

ComedyQuest

Noob Hacker
    Years
  • The guy finally looks than the girl for once! Although the girl's hair doesn't really bother me, I've seen worse lol. But the guy is really worth playing as. He probably is better because he is older than the other male protagonists and his clothes are modern and... normal ^o^

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm loving both of them, thought the girl's hair style is killing me... in a good way. =D

I love how all the girls wore either short shorts or a mini skirt. xD

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • My legs were like that when I was sixteen. They're still like that. Maybe she took ballet and tap like I did? Either that or she does a lot of running to build up the muscle on her legs. I don't see anything wrong with her legs or her outfit to be honest. But to each his own I guess.

As for the differences between the guy and girl, I think it's perfectly fine for them to be different in design. Everyone has their own style. Some people prefer the female while others prefer the male's look. It's a smart idea to do it that way. The Hoenn kids were both sporty, the Sinnoh kids were fashion-concious, now the fifth gen male and female have their own unique styles. Not everyone is into the same thing, so it's good to make the two different. Also, by aging them, it's more appealing to the demographic. Ten year olds can still play and now teenagers don't have to feel embarrassed by playng Pokemon. By making the characters teenagers, the plot in the game can be more interesting by having shipping hints.

I completely agree with you! I'm fifteen (so, around the boy's age) and I wear overwear all year long. So even during the summer I'm seen wearing a hoodie or sweater. Granted, I pull the sleeves up, but that's just who I am, I like layers, and feel too plain in a t-shirt. Actually, in colorado, a lot of guys are like this. And yes, it gets hot in the summer here too. Whereas you'll see girls in my grade wearing shorts that length anytime, unless it's snowing. So I feel as if the designs are very relevant.

Anywho, I personally like the girl's design better, because it's unique and eye-catching, but not too far fetched. (one of my good female friends wore shorts just like that yesterday, only the pockets were square and not quite as long. She bought them like that xD) However, I deffinetely prefer the male's overworld sprite. So I'll get white as my main game, play as a boy with Mijumaru. Then I'll get black, put a little less effort, have a girl and pokabu. Then Gray will come out and I'll be a boy again and have Tsutaja. Good deal?

All in all, these ar by far my favorite protagonists to date.

The guy finaly looks cool like in Gen III, but a bit more down to earth. Gen IV had horid characters -_-

The girl looks American XD Somthing should be done about the hair, but nothing will. Also, if she's going to be in the show O_O well lets just say, I think she should where a bit more on the lower half before 5 year olds see her.

Protagonists

If they could handle Misty, they can handle Rippyshorts. It's he 40 year olds we have to keep our eyes on.... Actually, I really want this girl to be in the anime. Her design screams confidence and toughness, and I can so see her pwn Ash in their first battle. He needs to be shown he's not as hot shizz as he thinks he is. Hopefully they don't give her Mijumaru. I love the little guy, he just doesn't fit her whole "tough girl" image.

Last edited:
    Back