• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

itsSacred

Sly and Strong like a Blaziken
    Years
    What's a feature of one of the older main series Pokemon games you'd like to see brought back?

I really liked the idea of the Pokewalker in Heart Gold/Soul Silver, even though I didn't use it much it promoted activity and was pretty fun to mess with!

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
    What's a feature of one of the older main series Pokemon games you'd like to see brought back?

I remember in Hoenn that there was Rental Battles. Those were actually really cool in Sapphire and Ruby.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    agreed. i want pokemon to be able to walk around with me!

Years

I guess the Vs. Seeker, to name one. Even though ORAS had the Trainer's Eyes, let's hope that Z or whatever we get next will have something for consistent trainer rematching.

Oh, and I would also like Generation V's EXP system, too.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'd also like to see the Gen V exp system brought back. It was really nice how your exp gain was scaled based on the relative difference between you and the opponent. Gave you more incentive to try and fight stronger opponents.

Also, I miss the game corner too :c I get that they can't have gambling in the games and maintain the E rating, but they could at least bring back Voltorb Flip. I mean, that's not even gambling, there's actually skill involved -_-

Question of the Day

What's an aspect of the games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?​

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Question of the Day

What's an aspect of the games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?​

Mainly collecting Pokémon and Battle Facility challenges. Collecting Pokémon is fun and satisfying, while BF can be interesting for the most of time.

pkmin3033

What's an aspect of the games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?

Having the patience to "catch 'em all" I suppose. Except for in the beginning I haven't found Pokemon challenging at all, but I'm not a very patient person by nature, and once I've finished the story of a game I tend to move immediately on to the next one unless the postgame is compelling enough to keep me playing. Pokemon's postgame has never been that compelling, so sticking with it to finish the dex has always been a challenge...one I've not always risen to.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Honestly, not much in Pokemon seems challenging anymore, so I'll go with something that is more of a psychological barrier for me rather than actually difficult. I guess the thing that is probably the most "challenging" (and frustrating) for me is settling on a starter with the stats (and nature, from gen III onward) that I'm happy with. While I didn't originally worry about this, it now eats up far more of my time than it should, to the point where I dread the very start of the game. I also hate doing that for legendaries or events.

In games that have them, the battle facilities can be challenging (and frustrating, when it seems like luck just won't go your way and you have to start all over again).

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What's an aspect of the games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?
    To me, Battle facilities are rather challenging, you can't just all-out offense and you have to balance out with perfect EV/IV and egg moves if you want to win win and partners are not always reliable option and depended on. Completing pokedex have it's pros and cons such case get version exclusives mons from another version may required in order to complete the pokedex and it is fun to get different forme and shiny.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    (sorry I'm a little late updating the post count, guys! I had meant to update them last night. I just updated them now. You guys are doing awesome ^^ )

Having the patience to "catch 'em all" I suppose. Except for in the beginning I haven't found Pokemon challenging at all, but I'm not a very patient person by nature, and once I've finished the story of a game I tend to move immediately on to the next one unless the postgame is compelling enough to keep me playing. Pokemon's postgame has never been that compelling, so sticking with it to finish the dex has always been a challenge...one I've not always risen to.

You're right >_< It takes a lot of time and patience. The hardest time I've always had with completing the Dex is getting all the event Pokemon--if you miss out on one your only option is to either trade for it, or wait for the next event, and who knows when that will be -_-

Honestly, not much in Pokemon seems challenging anymore, so I'll go with something that is more of a psychological barrier for me rather than actually difficult. I guess the thing that is probably the most "challenging" (and frustrating) for me is settling on a starter with the stats (and nature, from gen III onward) that I'm happy with. While I didn't originally worry about this, it now eats up far more of my time than it should, to the point where I dread the very start of the game. I also hate doing that for legendaries or events.

In games that have them, the battle facilities can be challenging (and frustrating, when it seems like luck just won't go your way and you have to start all over again).

I've never paid a whole lot of attention to stats outside of competitive play, but it is a little tough that IVs and natures are pretty much random, so it's tough getting the ones you want. There's always breeding though, right? c: (which unfortunately is still a little random)

And yes, I can't count how many times I've gone through one of the battle facilities and got a good streak going, only for it to be broken by one unlucky turn of events :( It takes so much time to progress through them, so it stinks when you have to start from scratch.

To me, Battle facilities are rather challenging, you can't just all-out offense and you have to balance out with perfect EV/IV and egg moves if you want to win win and partners are not always reliable option and depended on. Completing pokedex have it's pros and cons such case get version exclusives mons from another version may required in order to complete the pokedex and it is fun to get different forme and shiny.

Yea, you've got to play a little smarter in the battle facilities--the all-out offensive strategy only seems to work during the main playthrough xD

For me, I'd say the toughest things about the games are completing the Pokedex, and breeding. Both take a lot of time and patience. I spend a lot of time breeding for a competitive team, and it takes a lot of attempts to get the perfect IV'd Pokemon. I'm attempting to complete the Pokedex currently in Omega Ruby, and it's a pretty slow process once you've caught all the Pokemon there are to catch. Now I just need to evolve a bunch of them, trade for the version exclusives, and get ahold of some of the events that I missed out on -_-

Last edited:

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    What's an aspect of the main series games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?

Catching legendaries is always a pain for me. It's kinda why I won't bother most of the time.

Years
    What's an aspect of the main series games that you've always found to be difficult or challenging?

Well I can't really say anything that the people above me haven't, the battle facilities and Pokédex completion are what tend to be most difficult for me.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    looking for a shiny. i still haven't got one yet!

Years
    Of the 8 gym leaders from any main series game there was one leader that always used to bog me down!Simply put,I wasnt prepared for that gym leader!Had to use every inch of my wickedness to defeat them!

Also will answer all the prev questions(from oct 1)-
    10/1/2015 - What's the hardest time you've had catching a wild Pokemon?
    Catching beldum is a nightmare.Even groundon and kyogre are more easily catchable.That little iron thing has given me a lot trouble while catching it!

10/2/2015 - If you could only ever play one Pokemon game again, which would it be and why?
    Pokemon Emerald.I dont think I still have had enough of it!

10/3/2015 - Have you ever run out of PP and had to use Struggle during battle?
    My first game that was firered in that during the battle with elite four I had ran out of pp and had to use struggle.At that time I didnt understood the imp.of items and so even though I had elixir with me I didnt use it and ripped my mon due to struggle recoil!

10/4/2015 - What's one thing you would change about or add to the main series Pokemon games to make them more challenging?
    Tbh pokemon is still considered a kids game and for a kid the difficulty of the games is good enough.Also for me difficulty is not increasing rival pokemons level to foolish amt.
    Instead there should be more quests which make u think and prove to be a challenge for your brain

Years
    Gonna go with Battle Facilities. They aren't as difficult with the first few runs, but you will have to become more tactical as you build up a streak. Similar to online battles, optimizing EV and IV spreads are crucial if you really want to extend that streak. In some cases (like in the Battle Maison), you'll even have to overcome the mechanics of the game itself when it tips heavily in your opponent's favor. I prefer the Battle Frontiers because of how unique every challenge is within different buildings, and the AI doesn't get too crazy like in the Maison.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

I've always find grinding the higher levels to be challenging. In the game, the highest level Pokemon are typically located in Victory Road. But this only goes so far. After a certain level, it becomes too tedious to use Victory Road to level. This level is high enough to not be well enough for Victory Road, but not high enough for, say Elite Four, grinding.

In Pokemon XY, this is irrelevant because restaurants and O-Powers with Lucky Eggs and Amulet Coins can easily provide us with the EXP and the Cash we need to survive. They provide quick, large bursts of that sweet sweet exp.

OH!! :D This sort of works in ORAS too, since you can just easily transfer your cute Pokemon over to XY for training. :D

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years

I think the most challenging part for me would have to be completing the PokeDex. This might be a cop out because it's supposed to be somewhat difficult, but I've always found that the hardest (and also the most fun) part of playing Pokemon.

I don't like seeing blank spots or hole in things, so I like having that Pokedex filled as much as possible.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years

It would have to be filling up the National Dex. I'm very particular and surprisingly passionate about fulfilling the stock tenet of Pokemon trainer-hood which is to capture and index every single Pokemon to exist. Likewise I don't like to have blanks in my Dex and I strive to have a 100% knowledge bank of Pokemon. What gets my sour grapes is the existence of version exclusives that's impossible to obtain without trading and I have no wireless trading abilities at all. :c

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

It would have to be filling up the National Dex. I'm very particular and surprisingly passionate about fulfilling the stock tenet of Pokemon trainer-hood which is to capture and index every single Pokemon to exist. Likewise I don't like to have blanks in my Dex and I strive to have a 100% knowledge bank of Pokemon. What gets my sour grapes is the existence of version exclusives that's impossible to obtain without trading and I have no wireless trading abilities at all. :c

You know, in a way, I'm actually really glad this is the toughest part of the game. It brings me back to when the franchise's slogan was "Gotta catch 'em all!" I guess what it all boils down to is that the easiness that the EXP share brings is irrelevant compared to the journey that is completing the National Dex.

It can also be a symbol of completing the game. When you think about it, one can complete the stories, complete Battle Maison and push the limits of the game. But is the game truly complete if all the Pokemon aren't caught? I think not, and that's fantastic! :D

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    So true. You're never really done with a Pokemon game, there's always so much to do~

Question of the Day

If you could choose one Pokemon as your starter other than one of the standard ones, which would you choose?

Back