• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2009
    HELP an ignorant Dad buying Platinum DS

I am purchasing two copies of Pokemon Platinum for my ten year-old boys. I was going to purchase on eBay. If they enjoy the Pokemon DS games (Diamond & Pearl) shall I simply buy the off-the-shelf version OR the "unlocked" customizable version on ebay with 493 - 540 characters and the customizer? HELP ME! Thank you all

Cerese912

I heart pokemon :)
    Years
    Question about wireless and Wifi.

Can you go underground and make poffins with people around the world or is that just battling? I have Diamond btw.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Off the shelf, definitely. The supposedly "unlocked" versions are hacked, and could potentially be ROMs, fake games. Buying the game off the shelf will make for a much better experience for your boys. Enjoy!

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Help

Im playing platinum and I need a decent fire pokemon that I can Catch can someone tell me what Fire type to get.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Hmm... I feel this would be best merged with the Q&A Thread, so I'll go ahead and merge the two together.

Merges with Generation IV Q&A Thread~

As for Fire types, its up to you. If you don't start with Chimchar, Ponyta can be found just north of Oreburgh City, in the grass. If I remember correctly, the only next available Fire type would be Flareon, once your receive Eevee from Bebe and then Houndour, on the route to the South of Veilstone.

I do believe Magmar or Magby can be caught at the Ironworks, but you need Surf to get there.

The choice is yours, however; no one can tell you which to choose.

fisheydude

Pokemon addict
    Years
    Name translation on Platinum

Hey all. I just got my Happiny that was a trade to evolve with the oval stone into Chansey at level 44 and it still has its original japanese name. I was hoping it would translate to say "Chansey". Do the names not translate on platinum, was it because it was a stone evolution, or what? I am pretty sure I have had others to translate over.
    Thanks

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Thanks I think Ill go huning for a Magby when I get surf (I got a magmzer XD) or Hounder

Years
    The Happiny's name should be ピンプク (Pinpuku). If it has different characters, then it is a nickname. Traded Pokemon with nicknames don't have their names changed when they evolve.

fisheydude

Pokemon addict
    Years
    jiggly, you are right. It is hard to see for sure but the characters don't look the same as what you posted. Man, it was a perfect chansey too. Impish and hates to lose. I just don't like bringing out a pokemon and not reading it's name.

Years
    The EVs of a Pokemon are also known as Effort Values. Effort Values determine how many points a stat will gain before it reaches lv. 100. EVs are gained every single time a Pokemon gains experience. Each Pokemon gives a set number of EVs in one or two of the 6 stats of HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and/or speed. Unlike experience however, if more than one Pokemon participates in a battle, the EVs aren't divided. The amount of EVs and kind of EVs are determined by what Pokemon you're battling. A strong Pokemon like Machop, for example, will give 1 EV in attack. Its evolved form, Machamp, will give 3 EVs in attack. Important numbers to remember with EVs are that you can only have 255 EVs in a single stat and that you can only have 510 EVs total. Also keep in mind that for every 4 EVs in a stat, you'll gain 1 point in that stat. This also means that the ideal number maximum number of EVs in a single stat would be 252, since 255/4 = 63 with a remainder of 3. Since a stat boost is only gained when there are 4 EVs in a stat, having those 3 EVs would be a waste and could've been put in a different stat. This also means that you can only boost a stat 63 points from where it would be if it had no EVs at lv. 100. For example:

A Jigglypuff with no EVs in HP has 356 HP at lv. 100. If it has 28 EVs, that's 28/4 =7. Therefore, it would then have 363 at lv. 100 instead of 385. If it has 255 EVs, that's 255/4 = 63 R 3. Therefore, its HP stat at lv. 100 will be 419 (356 + 63). The same thing would happen with 252 EVs, since 252/4 = 63, except that those 3 extra EVs can go to a different stat since that would leave you with 258 EVs for use in other stats.

EV training is used to manipulate this gain of stats to increase the power of a Pokemon. Basically it's KOing the same types of Pokemon for maximum EV gain. Commonly used Pokemon are:

Bidoof in HP. (Route 201)
    Machop in attack. (Route 207)
    Geodude in defense. (Oreburgh Gate)
    Gastly in sp. atk (Old Chateau)
    Tentacool in sp. def (Surfing)
    Zubat in speed (Ravaged Path)
    Also, some people prefer to use Starly for speed instead (Route 201).

All of the above mentioned Pokemon give 1 EV in the stat specified. However, KOing 252 Pokemon is just as tedious as it sounds, so there are ways to speed up the process. The vitamins (Protein, HP, etc.) all give 10 EVs in the stat they say they boost. However, you can only use them 10 times for each stat. Since 10 x 10 = 100, you get 100 free EV if you give your Pokemon 10 of a vitamin. The Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you gain in battle. Pokerus, a very rare "virus" also doubles the amount of EVs you gained in battle. However, it is very difficult to obtain, yet very easy to spread to other Pokemon (if you don't have it yet, but would like it, use the trading forums and ask around). The last method of speeding up the EV training process is to use the "Power" items sold at the Battle Tower/Frontier. These come in 6 different varieties for the 6 stats and give 4 extra EVs to the stat they say they boost. For example, a Power Lens raises sp. atk. Battling a Bidoof while holding it would result in 1 HP EV and 4 sp. atk EVs. Battling a gastly with it would result in 5 EVs gained. In addition, the Pokerus can be used in conjunction with any of the other 2 battling methods, so you can have Macho Brace + Pokerus, or "Power" item + Pokerus. In my opinion, Pokerus + "Power" item is the fastest method. Battling a gastly with Pokerus and the Power Lens would result in 10 EVs gained sine (4 + 1) * 2 = 10.

IVs are also known as individual values. These are values determined at capture/obtaining and boost stats like EVs. Unlike EVs however, IVs can't be changed and range on a scale from 0-31 for each stat. Naturally, the higher the IV, the higher the stat will be. An example of application:

At lv. 100 with a 0 IV in HP, Jigglypuff has an HP stat of 340. If it had a 31 IV in HP instead, its stat would be 372 instead. Add this along with 252 EVs and you can have a Jigglypuff with 434 HP. A BIG difference from 340.

Did you understand this, do I need to explain more, or was it just tl;dr?

FireApe2135

Poke-Elite
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2014
    If i was to transfer a Japanese shaymin to my English platinum, would the event for the flower still work?

scwizard

Starcraft Wizard
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 29, 2009
    Where can I see a Prinplup in platinum, because it's not the same place as in diamond and pearl.

The FAQ says:
    008. Prinplup: Route 212 (Rainy Area), Pokemon Ranger.
    But it's not there. I've fought everyone on route 212 multiple times. I've searched up and down.

I know that some trainers have different pokemon in platinum, this must be one of those cases.

Where can I see Prinplup? It's the only pokemon I need to complete the dex.

EDIT: It's the rich guy near pokemon mansion.

Last edited:

SoniaXBerserk

Đemise..can't live without it!
    Years
    Okay...does anyone know where to find a Togetic?Also not by evolving...but, if thats the only way I'll do it...also where to find Hippotas...>.< darn hippos...what route?

Years
    Togetic is only available through evolution. Hippopotas can be found in the Maniac Tunnel. Its entrance is on route 214, which is south of Veilstone City.

Years
    The Ability Hustle, it says that physical attacks are increased power to 1.5 times but average accuracy is only 80%, does the accuracy decrease only count for physical moves or special moves as well?

Years
    It decreases only for physical moves. Special moves are unaffected Also, it would be better to say that "it drops accuracy by 20%" rather than "an average of 80%", since some moves have accuracies lower than 100%.

Back