• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    Those are just the trainers people chose to represent themselves. You can do it too. Just go to the Oreburgh Pokemon Center and talk to one of the people inside.

Lokiman42

Water Type > Dragon Type
    Years
    I've been experimenting with Pokerus, and I have a quick question. When they are no longer contagious (indicated by the little smiley) will the effects of double evs remain? It says so on Bulbapedia, but according to my calculations, it seems that this is not the case. Maybe it was a miscalculation on my part (I know that I am not finished ev training yet because the woman in sunyshore wouldn't give me an effort ribbon). Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2024
    I've been experimenting with Pokerus, and I have a quick question. When they are no longer contagious (indicated by the little smiley) will the effects of double evs remain? It says so on Bulbapedia, but according to my calculations, it seems that this is not the case. Maybe it was a miscalculation on my part (I know that I am not finished ev training yet because the woman in sunyshore wouldn't give me an effort ribbon). Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Yes, the doubled EVs effect remains. And generally, you can just trust whatever Bulbapedia says :p

Lokiman42

Water Type > Dragon Type
    Years
    Okay thanks. I must have messed up somewhere. Yeah bulbapedia is my 2nd bible, so it being wrong would have been devastating for me.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Ok.I'm getting half an ubers team off trade center, but i'm EVing a Giratina. I need good trainers for(individually, not in the same match, or i can't calculate it):
    Defense
    HP
    Special Defence

JuiceeHugS

Tournament
    Years
    Initial calibration phase question:...

When synchronizing my DS clock to an external clock for RNG abuse, I notice that the DS clock is lagging by a fraction of a second behind the external clock. Even though I hit the A button to change the time on the DS exactly when my external clock hits a new minute, the DS clock always seems to lag a bit behind. Is the DS clock supposed to be laggy like this? Will this affect my usual number of seconds it takes to go from a reset to the game world?

Basically, am I allowed a window of error when trying to hit my target time? For example, let's say my target time is 13:01:00. Is it okay to hit the A button/soft reset at any point starting from 13:01:00 but just before 13:01:01? (like, resetting at 0.62 seconds after my target time, since it's still technically 13:01:00 on the DS clock)

Last edited:

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
    Initial calibration phase question:...

When synchronizing my DS clock to an external clock for RNG abuse, I notice that the DS clock is lagging by a fraction of a second behind the external clock. Even though I hit the A button to change the time on the DS exactly when my external clock hits a new minute, the DS clock always seems to lag a bit behind. Is the DS clock supposed to be laggy like this? Will this affect my usual number of seconds it takes to go from a reset to the game world?

Basically, am I allowed a window of error when trying to hit my target time? For example, let's say my target time is 13:01:00. Is it okay to hit the A button/soft reset at any point starting from 13:01:00 but just before 13:01:01? (like, resetting at 0.62 seconds after my target time, since it's still technically 13:01:00 on the DS clock)

It doesn't count seconds, only minutes and hours, so you should be find until those micro seconds add to another minute

will chatot's chatter recording play on my friends DS if we wi-fi?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Why doesn't Synchronize work?

I have a Bold Kadabra with Synchronize but when I went to catch Cresselia it's yet to be Bold after several soft resets.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Jasonpower: There are plenty of guides on YouTube... ^_^

JuiceeHugS: That DS lag could make a difference, but as long as you're consistent (use same external clock), you should be able to adjust accordingly (turn on DS a half second later, idk) and determine a surefire way to hit a particular second every time... If you don't understand, I can go into detail.

FreakyLocz14: Cresselia's nature is randomly set when you interact with her on Fullmoon Island. Synchronize will not work on her or any other fleeing legendary.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Aww man I spent all that time getting a Bold Kadabra for nothing.
    It's gotta be rigged I got Timid like three times in a row and I do have a Timid Alakazam in my team.

JuiceeHugS

Tournament
    Years
    Thanks Twilightblade. I was able to rng for a perfect iv male scyther last night using a regular analog clock and resetting exactly one minute and one second after synchronizing (because of the DS clock lag). However, I'm starting to believe i just got lucky cuz I had thought that the average time it takes for me to get to the continue screen was 15 seconds but today i found it's actually 14 and maybe it's always been 14...which would explain why i happened to have landed on my target frame by chance last night due to the extra second that I waited before soft resetting. Should i just soft reset a fraction of a second after the one minute has passed to make sure i hit my target minute? Is there another way of more accurately hitting my target time down to the correct second?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2010
    Pastoria Gym

I am trying(and failing) to beat wake, the leader of pastoria gym.
    my team is luxio, gyrados, bronzor, houndoom,several unown, floatzel, staravia, monferno, haunter, porygon, leafeon, roselia, rhyhorn and graveler, what do you suggest i do and what pokemon should i use in the battle?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    How many EVs do I get if I knock out a Pokemon that usually gives 2 EVs in a given stat, but my Pokemon has the Pokerus and is holding a Power item for that same stat.
    Also how many EVs do I get if the same above scenario happended but I was holding Macho Brace instead of a Power item.

No you fail

l to the o to the l
    Years
    How many EVs do I get if I knock out a Pokemon that usually gives 2 EVs in a given stat, but my Pokemon has the Pokerus and is holding a Power item for that same stat.
    Also how many EVs do I get if the same above scenario happended but I was holding Macho Brace instead of a Power item.

For a power item it would be (2+4)x2 = 12 EV's per pokemon
    For a macho brace it would be 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 EV's per pokemon I think.

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
    Whats the best nature for Dusknoir? And is there a way to get good ivs or to know if thery good.

this is how i think when i determine my pokemon's nature.

To determine nature you need to look at his moves.

Are all his moves going to be special moves? are all his moves going to make physical contact?

if you have a mixture of moves try and find out what sort of battling hes doing if its online or just in game stuff, if its going to be an in game, lower its defense as no other pokemon in the game can match a lv 100.

also lower its defense because it has an immunity to normal attacks and almost all normal attacks are physical there is no need for a higher defense if dusknoir is already immune to normal attacks.

this also is the case for its fighting type resistance, since there are only 3 special fighting type moves.

heres a suggested move set

Brick break - to score a super effective hit agains dark (one of its weaknesses)

Psychic - to score a super effective hit against ghost ( again, its weakness)

then i would have any of these

dark pulse, shadow ball, thunder/ice/fire punch.

i would raise his special attack as it is low, and lower his defense - a mild nature

Hope this helped

Years
    this is how i think when i determine my pokemon's nature.

To determine nature you need to look at his moves.

Are all his moves going to be special moves? are all his moves going to make physical contact?

if you have a mixture of moves try and find out what sort of battling hes doing if its online or just in game stuff, if its going to be an in game, lower its defense as no other pokemon in the game can match a lv 100.

also lower its defense because it has an immunity to normal attacks and almost all normal attacks are physical there is no need for a higher defense if dusknoir is already immune to normal attacks.

this also is the case for its fighting type resistance, since there are only 3 special fighting type moves.

heres a suggested move set

Brick break - to score a super effective hit agains dark (one of its weaknesses)

Psychic - to score a super effective hit against ghost ( again, its weakness)

then i would have any of these

dark pulse, shadow ball, thunder/ice/fire punch.

i would raise his special attack as it is low, and lower his defense - a mild nature

Hope this helped

No.

Type no longer affects damage, so the whole "Normal, Fighting" logic is moot. Besides, nobody uses Normal and Fighting moves in most situations anyway. They don't exactly cover too much and there are much better Physical moves. Like Earthquake, Outrage, and a whole bunch of other moves. Physical practically runs the metagame. So why not raise it's already high defense stat?

Another thing is that a Pokemon shouldn't be staying in a battle it will likely lose. Why give it moves that can battle their "weaknesses" when the weaknesses will likely just outspeed it anyway and KO it? Also, what if the opponent doesn't have those kinds of Pokemon? It's just a waste of potential. Go for a moveset that always hits hard, not one that is situational to dealing with "weaknesses".

Also, Psychic isn't Super Effective on Ghost Types. Gengar is Poison type as well and that's why Psychic is Super Effective on it, not its Ghost type.

Dusknoir's Sp. atk sucks and it's special moveset it entirely generic and covered by many better candidates. Just have it stick to attack moves. Forget about it's pathetic sp. atk.

As a result, we get the exact opposite. + def - sp. atk. An Impish Nature.

Back