• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    When breeding Pokémon of different species, the factor of Egg Groups must be observed. Every Pokémon that can breed belongs to a certain Egg Group. Here's the Ground Egg Group, which Eevee falls under.

So in the case of Eevee, if you have a female Eevee, you can mate it with any male from that list, such as Rattata or Pikachu, and the resulting egg will hatch an Eevee. This way of breeding is useful for getting various Egg Moves onto Pokémon, like breeding the move Wish onto said Eevee. But that's a whole other issue. xD

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    When breeding Pokémon of different species, the factor of Egg Groups must be observed. Every Pokémon that can breed belongs to a certain Egg Group. Here's the Ground Egg Group, which Eevee falls under.

So in the case of Eevee, if you have a female Eevee, you can mate it with any male from that list, such as Rattata or Pikachu, and the resulting egg will hatch an Eevee. This way of breeding is useful for getting various Egg Moves onto Pokémon, like breeding the move Wish onto said Eevee. But that's a whole other issue. xD

That's very helpful, thanx u!

Years
    3 questions:

1) Is it better to ev train at higher levels? as in, do you get a higher stat increase (+"#")at higher levels?

2) After a Pokemon has gotten cured from the pokerus it can't spread pokerus to other pokemon, but does it still get the double the evs' gained in a level?

3) Where is a good place to ev train for defence and a place for spec.def, a place where other pokemon that give you a different ev don't often appear?

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    1)It doesn't matter when you decide to EV-train, as the effect of EV-training will balance out with your level. This is of course assuming that if you do EV-train at a higher level, you first reset all previously acquired EVs with the EV-reducing berries. And you must EV-train before reaching level 100, as EVs attained through fighting won't take effect until after a level-up.

2)Yes, it still retains the positive effects of Pokérus, even after being cured. They just can't spread it themselves anymore.

3)For Defense, the Ruin Maniac's Cave south of Veilstone has only Geodudes and Hippopotas, both of which give 1 Def. EV each. For Sp. Def., the usual choice of Tentacools (1 Sp. Def EV)/Tentacruels (2 Sp. Def EVs) works, found in various ocean routes, but in D/P/Pt, there's always something like Pelippers getting in the way. Try Route 223, 60% chance of Tentacruel, 10% chance of Mantyke (1 Sp. Def EV), but 30% chance of Pelipper, which you'd have to run away from, unless you need its 2 Def. EVs.

Years
    1)It doesn't matter when you decide to EV-train, as the effect of EV-training will balance out with your level. This is of course assuming that if you do EV-train at a higher level, you first reset all previously acquired EVs with the EV-reducing berries. And you must EV-train before reaching level 100, as EVs attained through fighting won't take effect until after a level-up.

2)Yes, it still retains the positive effects of Pokérus, even after being cured. They just can't spread it themselves anymore.

3)For Defense, the Ruin Maniac's Cave south of Veilstone has only Geodudes and Hippopotas, both of which give 1 Def. EV each. For Sp. Def., the usual choice of Tentacools (1 Sp. Def EV)/Tentacruels (2 Sp. Def EVs) works, found in various ocean routes, but in D/P/Pt, there's always something like Pelippers getting in the way. Try Route 223, 60% chance of Tentacruel, 10% chance of Mantyke (1 Sp. Def EV), but 30% chance of Pelipper, which you'd have to run away from, unless you need its 2 Def. EVs.

thank you for the answers =D

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    I've only played pokemon pearl for a few days and im seeing everything that confuses me, So is there like a big guide on pokemon you can read and understand what everything means?

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    ~Breeding~

Here's a condensed how-to. Breeding is done through the use of the Pokémon Day Care, found in Solaceon Town for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. You leave two compatible Pokémon at the Day Care, and after taking several steps, an egg may appear (use App #9 to check). Talk to the old man in front of the Day Care to receive the egg, which goes into your party.

Once the egg is in your party, you can hatch it by taking several more steps. Eggs can take several thousand steps to hatch, depending on what Pokémon it is, so it can take some time.

There's more, but you'd be better off reading through the guide first, then asking questions about what you don't understand~

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Here's a condensed how-to. Breeding is done through the use of the Pokémon Day Care, found in Solaceon Town for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. You leave two compatible Pokémon at the Day Care, and after taking several steps, an egg may appear (use App #9 to check). Talk to the old man in front of the Day Care to receive the egg, which goes into your party.

Once the egg is in your party, you can hatch it by taking several more steps. Eggs can take several thousand steps to hatch, depending on what Pokémon it is, so it can take some time.

There's more, but you'd be better off reading through the guide first, then asking questions about what you don't understand~
    I tried breeding a female geodude with a male onix, Both ground type or something, both rocks and they hate each other... Is there any site you can type in a pokemon name then find pokemon it can breed with it?

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    I tried breeding a female geodude with a male onix, Both ground type or something, both rocks and they hate each other... Is there any site you can type in a pokemon name then find pokemon it can breed with it?

Those two should work, as they are from the same Egg Group. Here's a list of Pokémon in the Mineral Egg Group.

What you probably read was the old man saying something like "The two don't seem to like each other." This still means they can breed, but it will take a bit longer (meaning more steps) for an egg to appear. Only if "The two prefer to play with other Pokémon than each other." does it mean they cannot breed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Those two should work, as they are from the same Egg Group. of Pokémon in the Mineral Egg Group.

What you probably read was the old man saying something like "The two don't seem to like each other." This still means they can breed, but it will take a bit longer (meaning more steps) for an egg to appear. Only if "The two prefer to play with other Pokémon than each other." does it mean they cannot breed.
    I got the "The two prefer to play with other Pokémon than each other" message, Since they were in the same egg group why didn't they breed?

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    That shouldn't be. o.o Are you sure they're not both the same gender? Maybe try a male and female Geodude just to see what happens...I can't see why it wouldn't work otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    The onix:
    Level 10 MALE
    Rock and ground type

The geodude:
    Level 26 FEMALE
    Rock and ground type

Weird :/

I put them back in and it says there doing fine and they dont seem like to like each other too much... How do i get them to breed...

Last edited:

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Ah, well, now that they can breed, you just need to ride around and take several steps until an egg appears. Just keep riding up and down through the routes north and south of Solaceon while periodically checking your Pokétch App #9 until an Egg appears between them. Get the egg and continue riding up and down until it hatches. Geodude takes 3,840 steps to hatch, which sounds like a lot, but is rather small compared to other eggs. x_x

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    I got 2 geodudes on female and one male, One has the ability of rock head the other has sturdy.. Has tackle and defense curl, Damn :/
    Thanks anyway :)

Jeezus i got a third egg O.O

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Well, the moves the newly hatched Pokémon have are based on the moves the parents have. TM moves and Egg Moves that the bred Pokémon can learn are carried over from the father, and level-up moves are carried over if both parents know them. Otherwise, the only moves the bred Pokémon will have are moves it would have at level 1, which is what's happening in your case. Try a different father with some better moves on it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Well, the moves the newly hatched Pokémon have are based on the moves the parents have. TM moves and Egg Moves that the bred Pokémon can learn are carried over from the father, and level-up moves are carried over if both parents know them. Otherwise, the only moves the bred Pokémon will have are moves it would have at level 1, which is what's happening in your case. Try a different father with some better moves on it.
    Thanks for everything :)

Cleared up all my questions, I'll use the website you gave me now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Another question.......
    I have a game card with pearl, It freezes when i *slight spoiler*

tried giving the psyducks the potion, to get to the 5th gym leader but it freezes before i can give it to them before the house and ducks.
    So i plan on getting pearl again, Will my data when i start it up be on it? Will it be the same but with no freezing?

Back