• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Greyson

Came just to kill your thread.
    Years
    As for my first question, it is apparently going to be left unanswered. :P
    And to be more specific, I am playing my Diamond.
    Thanks a bunch for the help though!
    I really appreciate it!
    :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Stupid question,

How do you use a held item?
    I gave a pokemon a rare candy and how do i get it to work?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Actual held items will activate on their own in battle, and all of those will go into the "Items" pocket of your bag.

A rare candy qualifies as "medicine" so it won't actually do anything if your Pokémon holds it. When you select it from the bag, you need to choose "Use", not "Give", to get the level-up. If you select "Give" it just holds the item, which you would do if you were to, say, trade the Pokémon to somebody else. Otherwise it'll just sit there.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Actual held items will activate on their own in battle, and all of those will go into the "Items" pocket of your bag.

A rare candy qualifies as "medicine" so it won't actually do anything if your Pokémon holds it. When you select it from the bag, you need to choose "Use", not "Give", to get the level-up. If you select "Give" it just holds the item, which you would do if you were to, say, trade the Pokémon to somebody else. Otherwise it'll just sit there.
    Thanks much :)

I went to pokemon, Then give item lol so you can see why i was confused.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i bred my empoleon&walrein
    but piplup didnt get ice ball
    why not? :(
    i know its not an egg move, but ive had none-egg mvoes pass on before from the father,that were compatible.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    Pipplup would have to be able learn it via level up (it can't) or by tm (it's not one ) for it to pass on if it is not an egg move

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Pipplup would have to be able learn it via level up (it can't) or by tm (it's not one ) for it to pass on if it is not an egg move

*falls off bed* after all my hard work???
    you gotta be kiddin mate, piplup with ice ball would be awesome, it should learn it :(
    *sigh* back to square one with breedin lol

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
    There are some only-egg moves (check bulbapedia) like Torchic with Last Resort or Skarmory with Brave Bird. As most of you know, the male decides the moves and the female decides the species.
    Example:
    TORTERRA (male)
    Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Crunch, Earthquake
    +
    SCEPTILE (female)
    Energy Ball, Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power, Focus Blast
    =
    TREECKO (random gender)
    Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Crunch, Leer (Treecko comes with Leer when bred)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    If your walrein knows rest and snore Piplup can get those via breeding (its the only moves Ive ever bred onto a piplup as its egg moves suck

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    There are some only-egg moves (check bulbapedia) like Torchic with Last Resort or Skarmory with Brave Bird. As most of you know, the male decides the moves and the female decides the species.
    Example:
    TORTERRA (male)
    Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Crunch, Earthquake
    +
    SCEPTILE (female)
    Energy Ball, Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power, Focus Blast
    =
    TREECKO (random gender)
    Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Crunch, Leer (Treecko comes with Leer when bred)

i know that,ive been studyin egg moves, and tryin to figure out which would fit my style best ^_^

If your walrein knows rest and snore Piplup can get those via breeding (its the only moves Ive ever bred onto a piplup as its egg moves suck

ya i noticed, thats why i tried for ice ball lol

Pearlone

Beginning Mapper Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    What are good places to train these types?

Ok, I recently got a typhlosion, swampert, and few others in Pokemon Platinum, and I was wondering which trainers have high level pokemon (+45lv) for these pokemon types: Fire, Water, Ice, Fight, Psychic. so I could gain some levels. I'd really appreciate help. (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.)

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Victory Road has Pokémon in the 40s-50s. Assuming you have the National 'dex, the areas available afterwards (and route 224) have Pokémon towards the upper 40s to 50. All of the types listed can easily kill anything you'll run into, though Floatzels are fairly common and are only weak to Grass and Electric.

The only other option you have is going to Routes 225+ and Stark Mountain. You'll find wild Pokémon around the mid-50s by going through any of the routes, and that's the highest you'll find in the wild. Other than that, you're limited to doing Vs. Seeker runs, gym leader rematches, and the daily Poké Center battles.

Years
    @ Pearlone:My advice?

Forget the typing, go to the route between Hotel Grand Lake and Sunnyshore City.

Find the rich boy who has a Luxio/Luxray. He gives you lots of money, and can't hit Typhlosion or Swampert for super-effective damage, so he's basically an epic win.

He also ups your attack EVs, as Luxio gives 2 EVs, Luxray gives 3.

Oh, and if you're post-E4, go to the Resort Area. The male Ace Trainer outside of it has a Salamence.Brilliant for training ice/rock/dragon-types

@Kai: Yep. That's right. I'm not sure which way round it is though, so look on Bulbapedia to see which fossil you're getting.

@Shookie: Wrong! You can find lv.100 Magikarp with a Super Rod in the Resort Area! The only stronger wild pokemon than Arceus is a Magikarp!

But IMO you'll get more experience in Victory Road

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
    What is the fastest way to raise a pokémon happiness in pearl? In example, I want to raise my Eevee into an Umbreon quickly (:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Soothe Bell + Veilstone City massage + Ribbon Society massage + happiness berries (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, Tamato) + vitamins. Then just carry it around with you everywhere, make sure it doesn't faint, and check the footstep guy on route 213 every day.

If you can't get into the Ribbon Society, it'll take a while to get in. Pick a Pokémon that you defeated the Elite Four with, go to Sunyshore and get the Effort Ribbon (from the woman in the seal market), go to the Footstep guy to get the Footstep Ribbon, and then check the woman in Sunyshore every day to get one of her ribbons. Make sure that same Pokémon is the lead in your party when you get the daily ribbons, otherwise it'll go on a different one and you're stuck. That'll get you the 10 ribbons you need to enter the Ribbon Society in the Resort Area, where you can get a SUPAR EXTREEEEEME happiness massage once a day.

It took me about 2 or 3 days to get Umbreon and Espeon when I decided to get all of the Eeveelutions, after I got all of my ribbons for the society and everything.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Just out of curiosity, if you have a shiny ditto and it uses transform, will the sprite of the pokemon it transforms into be shiny too?

Edit:

Person Below said:
    Unfortunately, Shiny Ditto transforms into whatever the enemy is. If the enemy is non-shiny, then it will transform into a non-shiny form, and vice versa. This was the opposite in previous games, where a shiny Ditto would always transform into another shiny.

Interesting, thanks. I would have thought it would always be shiny when it transformed.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Unfortunately, Shiny Ditto transforms into whatever the enemy is. If the enemy is non-shiny, then it will transform into a non-shiny form, and vice versa. This was the opposite in previous games, where a shiny Ditto would always transform into another shiny.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    has any attempted to breed cyndaquil w/ extrasensory,even tho its only an egg move on HG/SS (on platinum)

Back