• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Forever Forum

Its Hell getting into Heaven
    Years
    Quick question again about EV training.

I have 10 of each stat booster. Since you can only max out 2 stats via EV training, I should only give my Pokemon 2 stat boosters(10 each) and leave it at that? Because I'm thinking if I exceed 20 stat boosters, extra boosters will take up more EV's correct?

Which means I won't be able to max out 252 on a stat after I give it 10 boosters, right?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    What do people do and where do people go to raise their pokemon to lvl 100? Stark Mountain? Elite 4?

Rare Candies are always the correct answer.

Quick question again about EV training.

I have 10 of each stat booster. Since you can only max out 2 stats via EV training, I should only give my Pokemon 2 stat boosters(10 each) and leave it at that? Because I'm thinking if I exceed 20 stat boosters, extra boosters will take up more EV's correct?

Which means I won't be able to max out 252 on a stat after I give it 10 boosters, right?

Yeah. If you want to max out all your stats, you should have exactly 6 extra EVs. Since each gives 10, you will be allotting 4 extra EVs in the extra stat (aftering 10 of the ones you want to max).

Forever Forum

Its Hell getting into Heaven
    Years
    Rare Candies are always the correct answer.

Yeah. If you want to max out all your stats, you should have exactly 6 extra EVs. Since each gives 10, you will be allotting 4 extra EVs in the extra stat (aftering 10 of the ones you want to max).
    For example, I have my Magby LV. 1. I want to max out it's Sp. Attack and Sp. Def.

Therefore at LV. 1, I would give it 10 Calcium and 10 Iron(forget if these are the correct names but lets just keep it at that for sake of argument). Which leaves 152 Ev's left for the Sp. Attack and Sp. Def stat.

Now after that, say if I were to give it 10 Hp Up, which will put 100 EV's for HP. This will then subtract how much potential EV's I can give to my Magby's Sp. Attack and Sp. Def correct?

So it would be wise to only keep it at 2 stats to give 100 EV's with stat boosters.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    For example, I have my Magby LV. 1. I want to max out it's Sp. Attack and Sp. Def.

Therefore at LV. 1, I would give it 10 Calcium and 10 Iron(forget if these are the correct names but lets just keep it at that for sake of argument). Which leaves 152 Ev's left for the Sp. Attack and Sp. Def stat.

Now after that, say if I were to give it 10 Hp Up, which will put 100 EV's for HP. This will then subtract how much potential EV's I can give to my Magby's Sp. Attack and Sp. Def correct?

So it would be wise to only keep it at 2 stats to give 100 EV's with stat boosters.

Correct, as the EVs given by the vitamins still count towards a Pokemon's 510 EV limit.

...Oh, and just for the record, the names that you were looking for are Calcium and Zinc.

Years
    Yes. Starting at lv. 41, you'll have a 10% chance of Picking up a Rare Candy. Also, you can exploit Emerald's easy to use cloning glitch if you have it.
    Personally, I prefer sticking a Lucky Egg on my Pokemon and battling that one trainer with a Blissey on the Sandstorm Route (Route 228) since I get a boatload of experience from that.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    And so the best way for that is...the Pickup ability?

You can Thieve some easy off the maids in the Pokemon Mansion.
    Since, theoretically, nothing you do can adversely affect your stats after you have finished EV training, you can just battle things if you want... But I find Rare Candies a lot easier.

Years
    You can Thieve some easy off the maids in the Pokemon Mansion.
    Since, theoretically, nothing you do can adversely affect your stats after you have finished EV training, you can just battle things if you want... But I find Rare Candies a lot easier.

*Wait, Platinum changed the Pokemon mansion? ...*

Correction. It's the Rich Boy and the Lady that have the Rare Candies (or maybe it is the Maids and I just don't know). Also, they both have Blissey and if their Pokemon get stronger after Vs. Seeker rematches (not 100% sure on this), then they are really good candidates for exp. grinding.

Years
    im trying to clone,and ive cloned twice before using the GTS/CLOCK method (wait for the clock hand to spin 8 times then turn off ds.

But now,whenever i try to clone, when i get back on to GTS, it says "Deposit"

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong

PS:i also ,get the "corrupted file message

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    *Wait, Platinum changed the Pokemon mansion? ...*

Correction. It's the Rich Boy and the Lady that have the Rare Candies (or maybe it is the Maids and I just don't know). Also, they both have Blissey and if their Pokemon get stronger after Vs. Seeker rematches (not 100% sure on this), then they are really good candidates for exp. grinding.

Er yeah. I misread the page on the guidebook. After beating the 5 maids, you fight the trainer with the Blissey.

CrasH

Beasterling
    Years
    Can someone explain the full effects of the move substitute? Like when does it fade? Is there a max amount of turns/ damage? How does it calculate how much HP it takes away from you. If you get hit by hail/sandstorm does it screw it up. Ect.

Years
    Substitutes take 1/4 of a Pokemon's HP when used and can take up to that amount. It won't fade after a certain amount of turns. Only when damage equal or greater than 1/4 of the Pokemon's HP is taken. Since the Pokemon takes damage during weather affects like Hail, it can be assumed that the Substitute doesn't take any damage.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Substitutes take 1/4 of a Pokemon's HP when used and can take up to that amount. It won't fade after a certain amount of turns. Only when damage equal or greater than 1/4 of the Pokemon's HP is taken. Since the Pokemon takes damage during weather affects like Hail, it can be assumed that the Substitute doesn't take any damage.

• Substitutes and HP: It must also be added that Substitute can be removed by switching the Subbed Pokemon out, whether forced or not. Another caveat is that if you do not allot the correct amount of EVs into HP, you will only be able to make 3 Subs, while others can make 4. You'll generally want an odd number of HPs for maximum amount of Subs. Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, Hail, Spikes, etc. while not directly affecting the Substitute, may interrupt with making Substitutes by skewing the amount of HP the Pokemon has. In addition, if the Pokemon takes damage to drop its health below 25% of maximum, it will fail to make a Substitute.
    • Baton Pass and Substitute:You can Baton Pass a Substitute - in this case, the HP from the Substitute is passed on exactly as it was left off.
    • What Substitute blocks: Substitute will prevent the Pokemon from losing focus from Focus Punch, prevent it from being afflicted by a status or having its stats lowered (except by itself), and save it from non-attack moves (Acupressure, Block, damage form of Curse, Dream Eater, Embargo, Gastro Acid, Grudge, Heal Block, Leech Seed, Lock-On, Mean Look, Mimic, Mind Reader, Nightmare, Pain Split, Psycho Shift, Spider Web, Sketch, Switcheroo, Trick, Worry Seed, and Yawn).
    • What Substitute does not block: It will not prevent status afflicted via abilities like Effect Spore or Poison Point and will not prevent damage from Rough Skin or recoil from Life Orb or Take Down, etc. It will also not prevent status conferred through Toxic or Flame Orb, Synchronize, or Yawn.Substitute does not block Attract, Destiny Bond, Disable, Encore, Foresight, Guard Swap, Haze, Heart Swap, Imprison, Miracle Eye, Odor Sleuth, Perish Song, Power Swap, Psych Up, Roar, Role Play, Skill Swap, Spite, Taunt, Torment, Transform, or Whirlwind.
    • Abilities and Substitute: Abilities that absorb attacks will still function - Flash Fire will continue to eat up fire-type moves and Motor Drive will still make the Pokemon immune to electricity. Anger Point will still function through a Substitute; in fact, the only ability blocked by Substitute is Intimidate.
    • Reflecting damage and attacks: Counter, Mirror Coat, Bide and similar moves will not work on damage taken through a Substitute, but incoming Counter, Mirror Coat, etc. will attempt to afflict the Substitute. Substitute will still reflect stuff from Magic Coat. Likewise, berries that counter-attack (Enigma, Jaboca, and Rowap) will not function through a Substitute.
    • Multiple-Hit Attacks: Moves like Double Hit, Icicle Spear, Spike Cannon, etc. that hit the foe more than once will attempt to break the Substitute first and if there are any remaining hits left, those will connect with the foe.
    • Secondary Effects and Substitute: The secondary effects directed at the Subbed Pokemon of many attacks are negated when connecting with a Substitute. For example, Fire Spin will do damage, but NOT trap or inflict recurring damage for the next 2 to 5 turns like it says. Smellingsalt and Wake-Up Slap will not double in power and will not cure status. Knock Off will not drop an item. Secondary effects affecting the attacking Pokemon will still work (Rapid Spin, Ancientpower, Charge Beam, etc.).

Last edited:

CrasH

Beasterling
    Years
    Okay cool.

Yeah I'm using it for my Jolteon

Shadow Ball
    T-Bolt
    Substitute
    Baton Pass.
    Thanks for the help. That clears up all the questions I had!

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    someone told me to ask in here, so which pokemon would be used best for competitive battling in a team of 6?
    Salamence
    Dusknoir
    Electivre
    Jolteon
    Rhyperior
    Metagross
    Golem
    Milotic
    Lugia
    Camerupt
    Tyranitar
    Cresselia
    Zapdos
    Ho oh
    Just which ones out of those and i didnt wanna post in the moveset thread because i dont need help with that i just need help making a team out of all of those.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    No one can make a recommendation for a team just based on a list of species. the role it plays, availability to the player, etc... matters much more.

I'd suggest going to the Rate My Team a few forums down. They have a thread for this type of stuff where you can get recommendations, but you'll need to be much more specific than "*list of pokes* so which one????"

Back