• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Explorers of the Sky is an enhanced version of Time/Darkness, much like Platinum is to D/P. You might be thinking of Pokémon Ranger's Manaphy egg. Bear in mind that this only applies for the first Ranger game, since the event download for Shadows of Almia is currently unavailable (the first uses a password).
    I'd get Platinum, since it's the latest game in the main series. Mystery Dungeon and Ranger are just spinoffs; if you want to experience true Pokémon gameplay, go for Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    You might be thinking of Pokémon Ranger's Manaphy egg. Bear in mind that this only applies for the first Ranger game, since the event download for Shadows of Almia is currently unavailable (the first uses a password).

Yeah, this is what I was thinking about. How good is Manaphy? And I'm a little confused by what you mean by event download being unavailable? Was there no creature to download over from the second game?

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking Platinum but I want to know more about Ranger and this Manaphy business. Also, one person told me there was stuff to be discovered in D/P firsthand. Do they mean the story is interesting?

Thanks so much for comments!

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    I just recently got my DS as well (June) and had a similar problem to yours, except it was mainly between picking d/p or platinum. I chose platinum because it's kind of an obvious choice. Updated sprites (some are worse than dp but overall it's better), a couple new moves, storyline is changed up a little bit, I would hazard a guess that some of the graphic elements were bettered since it's the second pokemon game using 3d elements on the DS. You can get all three of the dragon legends and it's more pokemon are available (even though you theoretically don't have to catch a single one to beat the game [for the pokdex].

I only regret that my copy of platinum was messed up and I had to ship it back to Nintendo after like 10 days of gameplay. But it was really fun, and relatively easy without being too easy. (Although I only got up to Lucian (4th elite four member) before I sent it back).

So uhh if I were you I'd buy platinum. IF you can only buy one pokemon game then yeah, wait for HGSS and buy one of those.

Years
    The time it takes for an egg to appear does depend on the Pokemon breeding.
    If they are two different but compatible species and are both owned by you, the Day Care Man should say something like "They don't seem to like each other much," and it should take a long while for an egg to appear.
    If the two Pokemon are the same species but both owned by you or if they are two different compatible species with one not being originally owned by you, the Day Care Man should say something like "They seem to get along," and it should take a while, but not a long one, for an egg to appear.
    If the two Pokemon are the same species and one (or both as long as they're not from the same trainer) of them is not originally owned by you, then the Day Care Man should say something like "They seem to get along really well," and the time for an egg to appear shouldn't be all that long.

Hope this makes sense.

Jordan...

Hello :D
    Years
    I'd recommend Platinum.
    or you can wait for HG/SS coming in 2010.

Also i dont think manaphy is that good.
    If you do buy platinum you could easily get a manaphy off someone from this forum or get one from the GTS.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Is all of the text in Japanese versions of games Katakana? I think all the names of the Pokémon are, but I am unsure as to the text in-game.

The majority of in-game text is Hiragana instead of Katakana.

Pokemon Names: Katakana
    Character Names: Katakana
    Pokemon Attacks: Katakana/Hiragana
    Items: Katakana/Hiragana
    Dialogue: Heavily Hiragana, with some Katakana

Everything is mainly a mix aside from names :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2009
    Crit hit ratio question, Focus Energy and Razor Claw

I have a nidoking in diamond who uses focus energy and who I am having hold razor claw. the ability and the item increase critical hit chance, and have tried to check on exactly how high they boost the crit chance together, but the website I checked was a bit confusing:

Level Percentage Moves 1 6.25% Regular moves 2 12.5% Moves with an increased critical hit rate: Slash, Stone Edge etc. 3 25% Moves used by Farfetch'd and Chansey with the Stick and Lucky Punch attached, respectively 4 33.3% Critical hit moves used in combination with Super Luck 5 50% Critical hit moves used in combination with Super Luck and a Razor Claw or Scope Lens.
    Scope Lens and Razor Claw add 1 level each, the Stick adds 2 levels (for Farfetch'd only), the Lucky Punch adds 2 levels (for Chansey only),Focus Energy adds a level, Super Luck doubles the amount of levels and goes before the items are calculated in. 50% is the maximum critical hit ratio, since no situation exceeds it.

and Focus Energy was fixed so that it works correctly; it now quadruples the probability of the user scoring a critical hit instead of quartering it

it by quadruples it means it adds enough percent that it is four times that of natural crit chance, and razor claw gives an equal boost, wouldint the crit ratio for a normal move then be at least 50%? It doesint seem to act that way in game when I use it though, and I would like to know exactly how high my critical chance is with these two, and whether or not they stack at all.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    Get platinum because its much better than D/P and much better than the other DS pokemon games that are currently out. It also has MUCH more features than D/P does.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    When they say Focus Energy "quadruples", it's because in Gen. I, it actually Lowered the chances of making a Critical Hit. From Gen. II and up, now it makes the user more likely to get a Critical Hit, adding 1 Stage to it. So after using Focus Energy while holding Razor Claw, that'll put you in Stage 3, and regular moves will have a 25% chance of a Critical Hit; and in the same situation but using moves with a "high critical-hit ratio" will be in Stage 4, giving them a 33.33% chance of scoring a Critical Hit, if I'm not mistaken...

Pirate Dave

かいぞく デイヴ
    Years
    The majority of in-game text is Hiragana instead of Katakana.

Pokemon Names: Katakana
    Character Names: Katakana
    Pokemon Attacks: Katakana/Hiragana
    Items: Katakana/Hiragana
    Dialogue: Heavily Hiragana, with some Katakana

Everything is mainly a mix aside from names :)

Aceness, thank you. I am trying to learn Japanese a bit, and was thinking of importing one of HG or SS to help me. So far I know the Hiragana alphabet and thats it lol; Ive not been at it long.

feraligator97

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2009
    Can anyone help me?

Hey I was underground when I noticed something my friend had a trap in his base can anyone tell me how to do that?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Aceness, thank you. I am trying to learn Japanese a bit, and was thinking of importing one of HG or SS to help me. So far I know the Hiragana alphabet and thats it lol; Ive not been at it long.

Playing through the games themselves is great practice ^^ The good thing is that you don't have to worry about Kanji at all :) The down side of that though is that it's going to be harder for you to tell where one word ends and another starts if you're just starting. :( But thanks to the mix of Hiragana and Katakana, it's a little bit easier. Good luck! ^^

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    I need help removing one bad egg, and no i was not hacking incorrectly, i only use three codes.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    what are some good pokemon that are used as a support lead?

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    Rotom, since it can learn both defensive walls, Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave/Bolt :)
    Gardevoir or Aerodactyl works too

I need help removing one bad egg, and no i was not hacking incorrectly, i only use three codes.
    Then you were cheating incorrectly -.-
    Try checking here or here, and see if it helped you...

Years

Jirachi's been a pretty popular lead lately (Ranked 3rd most used lead in June 09) presumably with the trick/scarf set. Metagross and Azelf have been really popular for setting up Stealth Rock (if that falls into your category of support). Aerodactyl is another one with Taunt + Stealth Rock.

I'm just basing this off of statistics and such (not experience ;^^). Strategies and Movesets may be able to give a much better answer.

Back