• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I am currently having an issue with Advance Map (1.95 which maybe the problem) in which when I create a cave entering point you can enter the cave but you cannot go out the other way. The warps are in the correct positions, they are also correctly linked to each other yet it is still a one way. I have looked at other caves in the game and I appear to have the same set up as they do. What is wrong?

You need a specific tile in front of the doorway. Copy the exact time from the existing map, or look through the tile behaviour (puzzle piece button) find a tile that looks plain but mentions an exit arrow - or something similar. If you've already got that tile sorry :x

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    You need a specific tile in front of the doorway. Copy the exact time from the existing map, or look through the tile behaviour (puzzle piece button) find a tile that looks plain but mentions an exit arrow - or something similar. If you've already got that tile sorry :x

That makes sense. Thank you!

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • I don't really know in FR/LG/E, but in R/S, there is a list of the offset for each item (having codebreaker code makes it easier, by looking at the first entry, e.g. item #1), though this method will fail for Emerald.

I think you need to debug (using VBA SDL-H or other debugger) it when you get / buy item on maxed bag, saving, and loading.

Question: Does anybody know how pokemon's nature is determined? I've tried to debug it (on Sapphire, when trying to make my own shinyzer) and it seems that it has been determined even before the game calculates the personality values of the pokemon.

Oh sorry, I don't mean increasing the amount of items in the game, I mean the amount of items you can hold in your inventory at one given time.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Oh sorry, I don't mean increasing the amount of items in the game, I mean the amount of items you can hold in your inventory at one given time.
    Sorry for my typo (I should say the offset of each item type instead of item.)
    For example (since I'm working in Sapphire), CB code for item #1 is 820259C4 xxxx, so we search C4 59 02 02 in the ROM.
    We will be directed to 003C1670 (sapphire), which contains the RAM location of specific item type (8 byte each)
    C4 59 02 02 14 00 00 00 (020259C4 00000014 in word) means that the location of item pocket is 020259C4 and it can hold 20 different item (20 = 14h).

The other location reached by this method is the one responsible for saving and loading (exclusive to 020259C4 /item type).

Since Emerald uses dynamic location, I don't think this method will work in Emerald.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Sorry for my typo (I should say the offset of each item type instead of item.)
    For example (since I'm working in Sapphire), CB code for item #1 is 820259C4 xxxx, so we search C4 59 02 02 in the ROM.
    We will be directed to 003C1670 (sapphire), which contains the RAM location of specific item type (8 byte each)
    C4 59 02 02 14 00 00 00 (020259C4 00000014 in word) means that the location of item pocket is 020259C4 and it can hold 20 different item (20 = 14h).

The other location reached by this method is the one responsible for saving and loading (exclusive to 020259C4 /item type).

Since Emerald uses dynamic location, I don't think this method will work in Emerald.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this out. Tried it with FR, but no dice.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    I appreciate you taking the time to write this out. Tried it with FR, but no dice.
    So, it's FR. I've just looked at the CB code for FR, and it seems that FR uses dynamic location too (similar to Emerald).

In that case, try using Gamefaqs CB for reference, bpr the RNG (03005000, 4 byte), and try buying an item. If you want less breakpoint, you can activate the RNG kill code, and read on item #1 (or using search function to find where the RAM address is stored.). Using the method, it's possible for you to find the real breakpoint, or at least the location where the RAM address for bag is stored.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • So, it's FR. I've just looked at the CB code for FR, and it seems that FR uses dynamic location too (similar to Emerald).

In that case, try using Gamefaqs CB for reference, bpr the RNG (03005000, 4 byte), and try buying an item. If you want less breakpoint, you can activate the RNG kill code, and read on item #1 (or using search function to find where the RAM address is stored.). Using the method, it's possible for you to find the real breakpoint, or at least the location where the RAM address for bag is stored.

I'm sorry; bpr ?

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    I'm sorry; bpr ?

Break per read. It's an instruction from vba sdl-h which set any point reading the value of the address as breakpoint.
    e.g. bpr 03005000 4 will stop the game every time 4 byte from 03005000 is read.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Break per read. It's an instruction from vba sdl-h which set any point reading the value of the address as breakpoint.
    e.g. bpr 03005000 4 will stop the game every time 4 byte from 03005000 is read.

Ahhh, okay, vba sdl-h isn't normal VBA. Just googled it. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Years
  • So I added 107 Pokémon slots in G3HS to include Generation IV in a game.
    To my surprise, after Deoxys (or Chimeco, can't remember), 28 slots were filled with Unown, from A to ?.
    I opened unLZ tried to find the Pokédex images to change its palettes, and the Unown sprites were there, after all the Pokémon (and different too, while all other Pokémon were pretty and defined, Unown were all pixed up).
    I asked something similar and daniilS answered me that they get different sprites, but they are the same Pokémon, with the same dex entry. I thought they were made different Pokémon, with different sprites, but the same index entry.
    My curiosity went really high when I opened Tanoby Ruins in Advance Map, and all the chamber have Unown as the wild Pokémon. But no Unown is ever specified. In the games, in the other hand, each chamber has a different set of Unown.
    I know Unown are misterious Pokémon, but this is turning into a joke. Come on, what's the deal with the Unown?

EDIT: Also, how does Entei/Suicune/Raikou encounter is set? Since no grass has a chance of finding them by default, how is it possible that you find one of them after beating Elite Four?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have a problem with adding sprites in gen 3 suite. I'm trying to add a sprite for Magnezone, but the palette keep changing to random colours when i add the sprites (not completely random colours, but the antenna for example is grey instead of yellow). This doesn't happen to just Magnezone, i tried with Turtwig and the same thing happened. Also, when i add the back sprite, it changes colour again. Could it be that theye have too many colours?

soulryu

Pirate Trainer
    Years
  • I have problem with my firered rom. Advance map crashes every time I open up Viridian forest. I'm not sure but it might be because I take up of lot of block space in the second tileset for each city from Palette town to Pewter city. Pattern Bush also crashes and the only connection is that they share the same second tileset.(*The map used to work because I was inserting new tiles with its second tileset, but I left it to edit pewter city before going back to editing that map.)

In game the viridian forest trees are messed up like a missingno glitch. If I battle a wild pokemon or a trainer once the battle finishes the game goes black.

Is there anyway to restore a map when it crashes?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    Okay, at this point I must admit I need a lot of help. Thankfully I appear to have found the best place for all my questions to be answered!
    So I would like to use the snow tiles in the Snow Rom Base by Neti, dshayabusa, and Fangking Omega. But! I really don't like how it overwrites tileset 0 (The Main tile set) in the game. I have tried to move these tiles manually over to another tile set only to eventually find out I messed up another tile set (Tile set 1) making it so I had to start over my entire rom hack. My question is: Is there a better way to insert these tiles into the game without completely messing up tilesets 0 and 1?

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2016
    EDIT: I dumbly posted a question about creating a pokemon game using RPG Maker in the rom hacking thread. Beginner's ignorance! :D. Disregard.

Thank you for your time, destinedjagold, and for directing me to the correct place. :)

~Nirah

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Hi :). Mkay, so I'm just getting started up with my game's development. I'm using RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials. Importing tilesets, I understand. But how do you assign 'properties' to the tiles? For instance, the flowers moving around in the Outside tileset. How would you do that? Or how would you make a bridge that you walk under when it's above you and over it when you're level with it? Thank you so much for your time!

~Nirah

This is the third post os its kind... Sigh...

You do realize that you are asking in the ROM Hacking Section, right? We don't use RPG Maker here, because that doesn't edit ROMs. No, RPG Maker creates games, so you should ask in the Game Development section.

Thank you and have a good day~

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2019
    After hours of searching around I figured it would be quicker to just ask it here.

I've found the research thread about he 4th gen class split in 3rd gen but I still cannot figure out how to implement it.
    Is there a complete patch for this? (with pictures, and all moves updated) Or a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks for reading.

Years
  • After hours of searching around I figured it would be quicker to just ask it here.

I've found the research thread about he 4th gen class split in 3rd gen but I still cannot figure out how to implement it.
    Is there a complete patch for this? (with pictures, and all moves updated) Or a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks for reading.

Download MrDollSteak's Rombase. He has all changes explained there, and the best: ready to use/hack. ;P
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301
    He did some other changes, but like he said in his thread, everything can be undone, so you're good.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2019
    Download MrDollSteak's Rombase. He has all changes explained there, and the best: ready to use/hack. ;P
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301
    He did some other changes, but like he said in his thread, everything can be undone, so you're good.

I didn't know the other changes could be undone easily. In that case this could really help me out.
    In his download I get a notepad file with the table locations of different parts of the rombase. I can however not figure out which I could safely "remove" without breaking the 4th gen class split.
    Any ideas on this?

Thanks for reading.

Years
  • I didn't know the other changes could be undone easily. In that case this could really help me out.
    In his download I get a notepad file with the table locations of different parts of the rombase. I can however not figure out which I could safely "remove" without breaking the 4th gen class split.
    Any ideas on this?

Thanks for reading.

Nope, sorry. I myself am having some problems with "removing" Fairy-type and making the Rombase be recognized in other tools that not G3HS.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2019
    Nope, sorry. I myself am having some problems with "removing" Fairy-type and making the Rombase be recognized in other tools that not G3HS.

You might want to look at the "Things to note:" section of MrDollSteak's post you posted the link of earlier. That might help with the other tools.

EDIT 1 (old):
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Found the solutions to my problem here.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back