• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Is it possible to change the wild pokemon list depending on which tile is walked on?

For example, if I wanted to replicate the Gen VI Flower tiles, I could have certain pokemon appear when I walk through flowers compared to grass, or even, between long and tall grass tiles. For the most part, I could just set the behavior to 'long grass' or '08' which is for caves but some maps will use two different tile-types, which would then overlap.

If not, would it be possible to make a tile use the "tree" wild pokemon option (for headbutt scripts) instead? Or would that require modifying the behaviour bytes through ASM?

*EDIT: I'm using Emerald by the way*

Years
  • Hi i just started pokemon rom hacking... I tried to insert fairy type in my hacked fire red rom using shinyrayq's guide.. I tried following it step by step (exactly the same as the guide did) but I always end up getting white screen after.. please help i don't know where I went wrong..

Use this.

Is it possible to change the wild pokemon list depending on which tile is walked on?

For example, if I wanted to replicate the Gen VI Flower tiles, I could have certain pokemon appear when I walk through flowers compared to grass, or even, between long and tall grass tiles. For the most part, I could just set the behavior to 'long grass' or '08' which is for caves but some maps will use two different tile-types, which would then overlap.

If not, would it be possible to make a tile use the "tree" wild pokemon option (for headbutt scripts) instead? Or would that require modifying the behaviour bytes through ASM?

*EDIT: I'm using Emerald by the way*

By just changing the behavior bytes, I made encounters on sand tiles. The problem was that the Pokémon that showed up there were on the same list that Pokémon that showed up on grass. The background was sand, cool. But the list was the same for grass encounters.

Years
  • Use this.

By just changing the behavior bytes, I made encounters on sand tiles. The problem was that the Pokémon that showed up there were on the same list that Pokémon that showed up on grass. The background was sand, cool. But the list was the same for grass encounters.

Yeah, that's the issue I'm having. I was wondering how I might go about scripting new pokemon encounters on those tiles, as an example. I know it must be possible because it should work similar to Feebas, Swarms (and possibly even Day/Night variations?). If that wasn't clear.

Years
  • I have a problem. I need to implement the Walking Script specials from JPAN's engine, but they're not working. As far as I know, var 0x407E should be free until you set it, but there's a problem with it.
    Walking anywhere makes the game freeze. I used JPAN's hacked engine applier to add these in, if that's got anything to do with it.
    The data at the table (0x1A42EC) is this; D1 0A 80 08 DC D5 E2 E7 DD AB 00 BD DC D5 E2 E7. The first four are a pointer to the script that's supposed to be performed, the rest of it is just as it is in vanilla. What did I do wrong?

Years
  • I'm having an issue with area names. As I transition from one map to another in testing, the area names are not displayed at the top of the screen as they are supposed to. This issue occurs on all maps. I have edited the names of the maps which I have tested, which may be the cause of error (?), but I don't see how simply changing an area's name would break things. Under the Header tab, the Show name on entering drop down box is set to Show city names and the map Types are set correctly.

Any help with this issue would be great~

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Yeah, that's the issue I'm having. I was wondering how I might go about scripting new pokemon encounters on those tiles, as an example. I know it must be possible because it should work similar to Feebas, Swarms (and possibly even Day/Night variations?). If that wasn't clear.

You'd probably have to go the ASM route to do it properly, but if it's just small areas like patches of flowers you could just use script tiles. Not quite so "clean" but workable.

Years
  • Yeah, that's the issue I'm having. I was wondering how I might go about scripting new pokemon encounters on those tiles, as an example. I know it must be possible because it should work similar to Feebas, Swarms (and possibly even Day/Night variations?). If that wasn't clear.

I get what you mean. I thought about different lists for the day and night feature too. I unhappily don't know how to do that. But to have Pokémon to show up on flower tiles, or on rock tiles or anything like that, super possible.
    You might be able to use different lists, if you use an "encounter place". For example, if you set Pokémon to appear on sand tiles using the water encounter, you can have grass Pokémon and sand Pokémon showing up on different tiles, buuuut if you have water in that map, you sand Pokémon will also appear on the water tiles (Do you get the idea?).

Thanks man... the fairy type works.. and the game runs good, but I can't load the file in pokemon gen 3 hack suite... please help

You have to fix the .ini file that comes with it. Read the thread, the fix for this problem is there.

Years
  • You'd probably have to go the ASM route to do it properly, but if it's just small areas like patches of flowers you could just use script tiles. Not quite so "clean" but workable.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that when I get to that stage, I've been putting off learning ASM for quite some time.

I get what you mean. I thought about different lists for the day and night feature too. I unhappily don't know how to do that. But to have Pokémon to show up on flower tiles, or on rock tiles or anything like that, super possible.
    You might be able to use different lists, if you use an "encounter place". For example, if you set Pokémon to appear on sand tiles using the water encounter, you can have grass Pokémon and sand Pokémon showing up on different tiles, buuuut if you have water in that map, you sand Pokémon will also appear on the water tiles (Do you get the idea?).

Thanks, that might be the best method for now. Because I haven't played Gen VI, I thought the flower tiles were strictly for floral Pokemon, which isn't the case, so it shouldn't make too much difference if I used the same data for both tiles.

Years
  • I can't access the post that karatekid made about the fixes for JPAN's engine as my computer blocks the site. Can anyone turn that into a .txt and upload it here? Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I can't access the post that karatekid made about the fixes for JPAN's engine as my computer blocks the site. Can anyone turn that into a .txt and upload it here? Thanks.

Give us the link at least? And I'm pretty sure you can add the site to your exclusions if its your AV blocking it.

Years
  • I can't seem to find this anywhere, but how might one set the player gender manually at the beginning of the game? (In Emerald) Say if we only want the player character to be male/female in the story. I can't find the actual variable this is stored as.

I'm cutting out the entire Birch intro in order to implement my own from scratch, and whilst I've found an ASM routine for setting the name I can't sort out how to initialise the gender. Actually, saying that, how do I call the name input procedure which allows the player to input their name? It seems like the kind of thing I already knew but I can't find any reference to it now that I come to do it.

Last edited:

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • Are flags 0x3xx and 0x4xx safe to use? My rom hack had been cleared of all scripts, whatnot when I first started in 2012. Just making sure if these flags overwrite other things in the ram.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Are flags 0x3xx and 0x4xx safe to use? My rom hack had been cleared of all scripts, whatnot when I first started in 2012. Just making sure if these flags overwrite other things in the ram.

They aren't safe to use.
    Read this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

You can extend the amount of flags using Jambo51's Flag and Var hack, but this requires JPAN's save block hack and that requires restarting all saves (if your hack doesn't use the save block hack)

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2016
    Hi :) I ran into something weird when I wanted to change the music on my maps. Although I'm using a US FireRed, the music names are all in french, and also completely wrong. For example, on route 3 it reads: "Chutes météores" which is fench for the meteor falls in hoenn. But in-game, it is in fact the right song, namely Route 3, and it has number 0125. So it's just the name that's wrong. Does anybody know why?

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • al
    They aren't safe to use.
    Read this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

You can extend the amount of flags using Jambo51's Flag and Var hack, but this requires JPAN's save block hack and that requires restarting all saves (if your hack doesn't use the save block hack)
    Awesome! Thanks! Never knew about this! Got it all installed and ready to go. Unfortunately it deletes the current save file. People are going to have to restart their save for my next release cause it forcefully deletes the save file haha. Well it's for the better!

Currently in a full play through to make sure all my existing flags and vars work as should.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    I think I already know the answer, but is there any reason the palettes and tiles become messed up as the player moves between connections in the image below? I'm on the route in the top image and then I transition into the city in the bottom image.

Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think I already know the answer, but is there any reason the palettes and tiles become messed up as the player moves between connections in the image below? I'm on the route in the top image and then I transition into the city in the bottom image.

Spoiler:

The two maps probably have different secondary tilesets, messes things up if uncommon tiles/palettes are used on the boundary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back