• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quitting Pokemon

Years
  • Well, I took a hiatus from Pokemon for several years throughout highschool. Gold was probably the last version that I truly loved. I've never played the next generation. Then a few years ago I bought a DS, saw a Pokemon game and decided to pick it up as one of my first games. That was Platinum, and although I've never beat it, it sort of ignited my interest in the franchise again. I now own Platinum, SoulSilver, Black and White. I'm working through my first full game completion since I beat Gold all those years ago. I guess my hiatus was just because of changing lifestyle, with going to high school and all of that. I kind of forgot about it. I do think that while the games are repetitive, they still have to have something interesting about them in order to keep my attention.

I especially became re-interested after watching a 24 hour charity marathon where they were catching all of the Pokemon from 1st and 2nd Gen to raise money for ALC. It was just fun to watch and brought back memories. :) I also enjoy watching some Youtube videos of people playing.

After high school I got into online gaming which I liked because of the interaction with other people. That's why I'm more into Pokemon again because of the feature to battle and trade people over WiFi.

As for the show, I remember watching till partway through Johto and then not. I've seen a few episodes of Best Wishes though, although I don't really call myself a fan of the show, only the games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I still have a strong intrest in Pokémon because each game that they release well mainly the mainstream games (Gen 1-5) I am always the one to play them, so I still play them and I don't plan on stopping really.. it's just something that I've grown up with and is going to stick around for a while longer. Especially that it wont be too long for the RS remakes now... hopefully! (and maybe the third game to BW)

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I too have taken breaks from it, for about maybe 6 months or so at a time. But I just can't stay away from it for good, nor do I want to. Pokemon is something I grew up with, and will always come back to.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I go in and out of stuff when I play, like hardcore for a while and then stop for an even longer while haha. Pokemon is no different. Although I'm not playing now, and haven't in months, I haven't quit. I don't think I could ever actually "quit" a Pokemon game, or Pokemon anything. It's too much a part of my life and I love it too much.

Shadow-Lucario

People Just Get In The Way
    Years
  • i havent really thought about quitting pokemon i haven't really played alot of pokemon recently i have to admit though the creators of pokemon have been quite lazy about plots and pokemon because really the newest generation of pokemon keep looking the same now.

The plot is always the same as well start here collect badges and stop the evil organisation the badge collecting i dont mind why cant they make it like the anime where "sometimes" you defeat the evil people but other than that you explore meet legendary s on the way etc.

dont get me wrong though i would go out and buy a pokemon game as soon as they come out (apart from the ranger and mystery dungeon spin offs),would not say no to a remake of the hoenn games though =3

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • The word "quit" referring to some interest really is a word I never thought appropriately fit.

I "quit" Pokemon ages ago. Then Pokemon Diamond/Pearl came out and I started playing it again. For the moment, I guess you could say I've "quit" because I haven't bothered to play Pokemon recently at all.

When I think of "quit" in terms of something like this... I think of, "Never wanting to touch it again." I however doubt that's how the person actually feels.

Do you mean to tell me that when you stop playing now, when a Pokemon game comes out later, you're going to forcefully ignore it under the justification that you "quit?"

A better way to put it if you truly "quit" is to say that you don't like it anymore. Nothing is ever sure when saying you "quit" something.

It's a game you can pick up and put down again at your leisure. Also, it annoys me when people tell me they're "quitting" forums. I can understand if they're in some sort of responsible role and can't perform it anymore... But to "quit" posting on forums is the same thing as just simply not announcing your posting anymore, and simply not posting until you feel you want to post again, if so.

Announcing that you "quit" anything I honestly find absurd unless it makes some logical sense. (Quit smoking, etc.)

Years
  • Hi

I am 15 and I often take "breaks" from Pokemon but I always come back. I was a bit young to watch the original anime but I loved the Hoen ones and I still watch the movies! As for the games I had Saphire and Leaf Green and Diamond but I am embarressed about asking my parents for B/W so I havn't got it yet.

My Dad said to me a few years ago that I should grow out of Pokemon soon and I really wanted to but I can't and I feel really guilty for it!

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I never lost any interest in Pokemon, I mean it's been out for a decade, and I have known it ever since. Some of my friends don't like it now and decided to give up on it, but there's something about it that won't let me quit. :'3 ..

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    sYTQy.png

» Quitting Pokemon

-Pokemon, like most childhood interests can fade after a while, and Pokemon is no exception, in addition to this, there are many other reasons as to why people ditch the monsters that made their childhood so enjoyable.

Questions

Have you ever thought of quitting Pokemon?

If so, why?

Finally, what reasons would cause someone to abandon Pokemon for good?

Sad to say, I may think about quitting. When it first came out, Pokemon was the bomb! Commercials everywhere, Video Games ( Main Series & Side Games) and all the cards a kid could want! Hell, it was what me and 2 other companions in middle school would talk about! But of course, time went on, and other interests took their toll on us, and we got into other things. It also didn't help that there were not that many other kids who were into pokemon in my area as well...

Years
  • Have you ever thought of quitting Pokemon?
    Not really, there was this point when I wasn't interested in following new seasons of pokemon or playing new games, but I still loved the old ones. And no wonder I didn't want new games, I hadn't even finished yellow :')

I don't think I will ever totally quit pokemon, at least I hope so ;w;

Years
  • I "quit" pokemon frequently. I'll just loose interest in it after a while. Then there'll be something that catches my interest, and I get annoyed that I sold my games, or lost them, so I buy another and do it again.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Have you ever thought of quitting Pokemon?

No! i vowed to myself that even when I get older, even if GF get some new crew, make generations 6- infinity, I will be forever a Pokemon Fan. If I reach the point where I have children, they better love Pokemon or else no allowances for them. My friends... they're all gone. We used to have mock battles during our childhood but now... 7 years later, they are all interested in things like WoW. I am the only one left, and I am not ashamed! I will be the local Poke-addict in here!

Years
  • I think it's more a way of life. Once you're a fan, you're always a fan. Even if you aren't necessarily playing a game at the moment or particularly interested in an aspect. You're still a fan. Always. :D

Back