• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] RAINBOWS: A Kanto Journey OOC (T)

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
Years
  • Sorry for not posting recently, I'm having trouble thinking of what to say/do. For now, let's just presume Kade's sitting in silence.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2018
    So... There seems to be a slight problem.

This RP is going along very smoothly. It seems like plenty of people like it. However, Sayoko, the GM of this RP, was last on June 4th, 10 days ago. How are we going to move on in this RP if she/he doesn't come back? Let's hope she/he does, but if she doesn't, are we going to stay in Viridian City forever, or what?

Sayoko

small evening child
    Years
  • So... There seems to be a slight problem.

This RP is going along very smoothly. It seems like plenty of people like it. However, Sayoko, the GM of this RP, was last on June 4th, 10 days ago. How are we going to move on in this RP if she/he doesn't come back? Let's hope she/he does, but if she doesn't, are we going to stay in Viridian City forever, or what?

I appreciate your concern, and while I apologize I haven't been a very active GM, I also haven't noticed a need for much GM'ing at present? As you say, it's been smooth sailing so far. I also have the next few routes planned out, ready to be posted at any time should you be ready to move on. I'll be reading up on the posts now then.

Of course if you're worried about being stuck in Viridian, I could open up the next route already...

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2018
    I appreciate your concern, and while I apologize I haven't been a very active GM, I also haven't noticed a need for much GM'ing at present? As you say, it's been smooth sailing so far. I also have the next few routes planned out, ready to be posted at any time should you be ready to move on. I'll be reading up on the posts now then.

Of course if you're worried about being stuck in Viridian, I could open up the next route already...

I personally am ready to move on. However, I don't want you to base moving on through just me. Is anyone else willing to move on from Viridian?

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I'm probably going to start on a solo post since the joint post with Djobi isn't really getting accomplished. (Sorry, pal.)

With that said, no, I'm not ready for Arthur to progress. I'd like him to reach a point where he'd be ready to challenge the Viridian City gym leader the next in-game day.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2018

I'm pretty much ready to move on at this point, I won't be battling the Gym Leader, but I will try and get a post up today regardless.

I'm probably going to start on a solo post since the joint post with Djobi isn't really getting accomplished. (Sorry, pal.)

Yup, that's probably for the best :/

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Finally posted (for only the third time, oops?) after a bit of NOT-AT-ALL procrastination.

Yet more world-building with this Reagan guy, gotta love that. If some of it, especially the minor details on economic class in Kanto, comes across a bit off-putting, feel free to speak out, or forever hold your peace. I liked the idea of portraying Arthur from an outsider's perspective from Djobi and I's original JP so I incorporated it again with a short-lived NPC, though he will likely an appearance again, as will the glorious Mr. Cowlick.

Years
  • Welp, my brother's laptop may or may not be dying. The cooling fan is broken and I don't know anyone who's good with computers. On the bright side, I can still post with my phone.

Sayoko

small evening child
    Years
  • Right, right, that's all well and good, but I have no qualms with how you're handling missions. There's really no wrong way to do it, from what I can tell. My issues are with the missions mechanic in itself.

I'd go more in-depth, and I was actually about to, but decided it was becoming less of me wanting more out of missions and far more about my personal frustrations with these "journey RPs". It's entirely based on subjectivity. I just think things feel less character-driven and more "game-y" as I plan out which route I want my character to take, etc.

Honestly, I may not even dislike the more "game-y" feel. I do like the idea of writing out my own Trainer's adventures and giving them a whole inventory and what not while also fleshing out a universe I never felt was giving that much life in the main series. On the other hand, it starts becoming less about anyone else but myself, as I've discovered in Rainbows, where I'm basically heading off on a tangent. I don't have any investment in anyone else but my character, Arthur, because his actions never impact anyone else and vise versa. This isn't helped by different perceptions of the world held between me and the others because we're essentially given a blank slate. We just feel so disconnected, it honestly irks me. Will it be the same here? I don't know. It depends on the GM's policy, what they want, and what they'll enforce.

But if you want Hearts Reborn to be a really free, open sandbox, that's perfectly fine by me. I really don't want to convince you to do things "my way". I'll stress how I interpret or have interpreted missions is mainly subjective. I also don't want to be too pessimistic, as the roleplay's just starting out. Harley was very much intended to be an attention-grabbing character so I'll definitely strive to show some initiative in terms of having an effect on other characters that isn't just short-term, as well as on the common universe we all share. So no one can ignore me, aha

I'll jump in, see if I like it, and if I don't, no skin off any of our backs, right?​

Sorry to quote you here, but I figured it best to discuss this matter in our own thread rather than to clutter Hearts Reborn's. I've noticed Arthur going off by himself more than interacting with others, but I assumed this was mostly because you wanted to develop your own character more with NPCs of your own so you could control what happened to him in a way. It's a bit worrying to me that you feel so disconnected with the world and other players however, and was wondering if you had any feedback on how to improve it?

You mention there being too much of a blank slate, and too much is left up to interpretation? I take it you are referring to the more specific parts of your latest post for instance, where you went quite in-depth about the different states of Trainer Academies as well as the many features of different kinds of Pokédexes. Would you have liked me to make more specific requirements about the characters' backgrounds, or provide more exact descriptions of what items the trainers have on them as they leave, and their functions? Or is there anything else you find lacking that is somehow detaching you from the Kanto in our RP?

It should be noted that from the start I have (hopefully) made it clear that i wanted this to be a more simple RP, mainly geared towards beginners, who just want to have fun and gain some experience in forum roleplaying, since I'm also introducing some of my friends to it for the first time. Hence it's partially on purpose that I didn't put in too much information or preset expectations for the players to hold themselves to. As much as it admittedly irks me that different players will end up with lacking correlation between situations or write NPCs they encounter differently, for this RP I'll accept it mostly.

The missions I have seen included in other journey RPs however, and I thought it was a good way to keep players engaged and give them something to focus on as they travel about the region, because I felt it'd be difficult for new players to create their own story in a sandbox without any guidance at all. At the same time it is a way for me to keep the players together and stimulate interaction as they could work together on missions for instance - even if not everyone has been claiming missions here much so far. I hope to improve that once we move on to the next area.

To all of you, I'd like it if issues with RAINBOWS as an RP are brought up either here in this thread or to me in private. Additionally, everyone is of course welcome to weigh in on this matter - it's my first time managing an RP like this after all, so any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I do hope you don't consider my message in 'Hearts Reborn' "clutter". I was only making a connection to 'Rainbows' so it didn't look like I was talking totally out of my ass.

I did want to develop Arthur on my own and I still do because I like him and I like my interpretation of the world. I've realized, though, by Post #3 that I have no real incentive to keep "roleplaying" on my own. I'm essentially just constructing my own fanfic, at this point. Nothing that the other characters do in 'Rainbows' has any true impact on Arthur and I don't see that they ever will, no matter what "missions" we might have to complete later on. This is partially due to my own lack of initiative, I'm sure, but Arthur in himself is not the sort of character to wait around for other people and go out of his way to "make friends". I feel like my character shouldn't be bogged down by the fact that he isn't extroverted. The best way to improve that is to connect us all, make us feel like our actions matter. And the best way to do that is to build onto the universe more, make it more than just "a region called Kanto", so that we all start interpreting the setting similarly rather than jump from "frolicking Rattata" to "my girlfriend was murdered by Team Rocket".

But I understand completely that this your roleplay, not mine, and you want it to be "beginner friendly". We interpret that differently. When I think "beginner friendly", I think a roleplay that will teach people that are new to roleplaying the ropes rather than put them in an open world and turn them loose to do as they please. If they ever want to indulge in some more thorough, interconnected roleplays in the future, I don't see Rainbows preparing them for that, rather just providing a sort of first experience, though that can arguably be a learning experience in itself. However, I feel being a tad more critical in terms of post consistency and, to an extent, character applications would be far more useful for those who want to have more RP experience in the future, or even to those who are still on the fence.

I do feel the former isolates me. I don't want to speak on behalf of other "veterans" (if that isn't a pretentious term to use), I just personally feel demotivated at this point. Like I mentioned in the 'Hearts Reborn' OOC, it's all based on subjectivity, what I prefer based on personal biases and the like. I apologize if my message came across as passive-aggressive because it'd be hypocritical for me to act like that since I hate that kind of attitude. My criticism basically boils down to, I'm on the ropes right now and I disagree with the current 'beginner-friendly' approach.

Sayoko

small evening child
    Years
  • I didn't consider your message in Hearts Reborn to be clutter at all - I just meant that since I wanted to talk about Rainbows rather than Hearts Reborn, I relocated the discussion to this thread.

Frankly, I agree that the backstories of certain players are a bit too outrageous for my liking as well, but at the time I was afraid to limit creativity and only now I suppose the consequences are visible. Still, I don't consider this a reason to disregard the other players and go on to write your own fanfiction, simply because their worldview doesn't match yours. Why do you say none of the other characters' actions will ever have any impact on you? You just haven't ran into any so far, and perhaps Arthur's introverted nature wouldn't make him likely to approach others out of himself, but that doesn't mean other characters wouldn't approach him instead. I'm also a bit at a loss as to how you wish I'd make your 'actions matter' more... I'll be rolling out an overarching story (perhaps sooner rather than later if the incentive to post has left this much already) in which you will need to band together to defeat formidable enemies, and although the story as I have it in mind now is rather linear, I believe your actions will be very important to help shape it further.

The 'throwing them into a wide open world' is exactly what I wanted to avoid by making the roleplay chaptered by area and including missions for the characters to take part in together to interact. I wanted it to be suitable for beginners because some if not most of the players, myself included, are beginners, and I thought the best way to do that was to keep the setting straightforward. And well, with regard to post consistency... I don't think I can combat this by myself. There are some less experienced writers among us, and I've sent out some private messages to players I worried about in that regard, and offered to help in any way, but I think it's unrealistic to expect players to 'do better' when they either can't or won't. It's meant to be geared towards beginners, yes, but that doesn't mean it's supposed to be a tutoring RP... I'm hardly in any position to teach others in the first place.

I really don't want to make anyone feel isolated, so I'm glad to hear you speak out your concerns rather than brooding by yourself or anything. I want to do everything in my power to make this enjoyable for everyone, and I'm still figuring things out myself. Admittedly because I introduced so many different locations in Viridian City, it makes sense for the small player base to spread out further from each other than before, and this is why I think it'll be better for us to keep moving. Route 2/Viridian Forest will be the next one we venture onto, and considering the small size of it, I think it'll allow players to band together more as well as move through it quickly, creating a larger sense of progression, and keeping the incentive going in that way. Honestly though, if you have any more concrete examples or ideas for me to employ that you believe will make the experience better for everyone, please don't hesitate to mention them.

So, important to everyone:
    Following this, I will be moving forward to conclude the Viridian Chapter as quickly as possible. This means I will expect everyone to wrap up their business in the city and get ready to move on. Those who I'm still engaged with in gym battle are fine, as I'll try my best to finish those up, but after that the Gym will appear as closed and you'll have to challenge Ritz in another city to earn the Earth Badge.

Last edited:
    Back