• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

rap vs. rock...who's side are you on?

Rap or Rock?

• Rap

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Rock

Votes: 45 69.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Rock.

How the hell can you compare songs that just go "Do drugs, Get Laid" in different words to stuff by The Who
    Its obvious who wins.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Yay, finally have enough time to post this~!

Uzumaki Kaen said:
    How the hell can you compare songs that just go "Do drugs, Get Laid" in different words to stuff by The Who
    The same way one can easily generalize rock into people either screaming at the top of their lungs or just being emo. If someone tries to defend rock and still bash rap as nothing but the mainstream crap, then they're being too biased to know what good music is.

Myself, I enjoy both genres and their sub-genres greatly...but like Niko, mostly just old school now. 90% of all music has deteriorated to people singing about sex or just being plain emo and annoying.

Both rap and rock face the problem of just "going with the flow", it's undeniable how much times have changed in both areas. This may be a bit old for some people, but the old school style in the eighties and early nineties was great. An artist by the name of Rakim had a great song called "Go See the Doctor", telling people in this great rhyme to be careful who you sleep with. But nowadays the main public is getting fed on how good it felt when [insert] got his [insert] sucked and how many [inserts] he [inserted] in a night. Then we have rock, it used to be about great lyrics and awesome bands, but these days that's hardly the truth. Whatever happened to talents like Axl Rose and Slash? These days we usually just get really bad guitarist and singers that I can hardly even tell apart anymore. That's not music, that's just pandering to the audiences.

Velvet Revolver is a great band for rock, just as Gorillaz and Jurassic 5 are great bands for hip-hop/rap. For rap, the problem is that emcees can talk about killing and get money for it, and people are excepting it. So as long as this method of making money works, these late emcees will continue this pattern. Probably scared to be diverse and change, with fear of backlash or whatnot. Not wanting to ruin the resume they made for themselves. Basically digging the hole that they forced themselves into.

Now for rock, the way I see it is that a lot of these new bands don't know what they want to be. Too often do I hear songs from totally different bands that sound almost the same, both lyrically and verbally. Some bands get so caught up in the idea that they should be different that they forget what the roots of the genre are and try to rearrange it into something that's just people selling out and fans buying it up. What happened to the days when someone could take the old school style and make it better than it already was? These days guitar music doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it used to be. It'll be rare to find a truly great talent, but with the older stuff it was common as can be. The singers also fall into the trap of selling to teens, pandering to teens and that's what sells because that's what they "relate to", it's crap, I don't want to hear a whiny boy talk about how bad his life is, if I wanted to hear a great song about how bad aspects life can be, I'd listen to something like "El Manana" from the Gorillaz or "Fall To Pieces" from Velvet Revolver. They can do that style of music and pull it off, these other bands are just riding on the wave of emo teens who think they're so troubled.

Then we have the MTV trap, if it isn't on MTV, it's gotta be bad. Seriously, when a channel called "Music Television" goes from airing Music programs 24-7 to being more of a reality channel than anything else and that channel is still the benchmark of what's good, then we know there's a problem. Doubt I'll see De La Soul or Theory of a Dead Man on MTV anytime soon.

The rap that's getting the attention is gangsta rap, the worst type of rap out there. People are so uneducated about the genre and just cast it off as not being music without even bothering to hear bands and singers like De La Soul, Gorillaz, Jurassic 5 and Floetry. Same with rock, the type of rock that gets the attention these days have hardly even qualify as rock. Take a single Simple Plan song and it'll get more airtime than a song from Theory of a Dead Man, U2, Velvet Revolver and Aerosmith combined in a year.

Last edited:
    Years
    Just to throw in some of my opinions:

Back in the day when Rock was at its peak, every artist/band had its own signature sound. Whether it was the banshee howling of Robert Plant infused with the blues flow of Jimmy Page's guitar for Led Zeppelin or the demented voice of Ozzy with the dark and deep riffs of Black Sabbath or the anthemic and righteous voice of Bono with Edge's texture laden appregios in U2, rock had an identity. Nowadays, all I see are some voices that sound that same (I'm looking at you Fallout Boy and Panic! at the Disco) or some incomprehensive guitar riffs (any grunge ripoff) that make rock so boring. There aren't any bands nowadays that make themselves memorable or at least have a sort of lasting mark among people... there aren't any memorable solos like solos from the songs "Free Bird" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Eruption". Of course some people might say that "so-and-so-band" had this awesome solo... but are there any people talking about it or is there even a group of little kids who were inspired to learn how to play the guitar after hearing "so-and-so band"'s solo? Of course there are a few... but ten years from now, I can assure you we'll have to forget these shallow bands throwing in random lyrics and making tasteless guitar riffs. These bands sometimes soil rock's reputation, giving some non-Rock fans a bad impression on the genre (and in the process mixing some non-Rock genres within Rock). I ask some people why they dislike Rock and they all give the same reason: the guitar sounds the same and they all scream. Now that disappoints me.

Now there are rare occassions when a great band comes out of nowhere and doesn't get much attention... and sometimes I like them that way because sometimes mainstream isn't the best way to get attention.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I side with both factions on this one, but I'll say rap owns rock just to spite the narrow-minded fools out there who don't classify it as music and believe that it's all about hedonism and reckless abandon.

You people are just as bad, if not worse, as those people who accused Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Slayer, and Judas Priest of backmasking Satanic messages. Not all rap and hip-hop is about unabashed greed, lust, and vanity (I'm looking at you and the rest of your ilk, Sean Combs).

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    I listen to a good bit of both genres. I would have to say I prefer rock over rap, but I still enjoy good rap music. I guess it's just that a little bit of rap goes a long way for me. All in all, rap songs tend to have repititious beats. Rock, at least a lot of the rock I listen to anyway, is more varied and melodic. Of course, I realize there are acceptions in both cases. I'm just generalizing, I guess. And rambling, too....

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    I am gonna say this and hopefully people will get it.

90% of all rap consists of no instruments...unless you call a computer with a keyboard an instrument...I don't like 90% of the rap there is for that reason...however I do respect rap artists who do incorporate actual instruments into their music it shows they are musicians.

Rock is better for this reason alone. As for being narrow minded on this subject...ha narrow mindedness is saying that you choose rap over rock because people stated their opinion on rap saying that its not music...woops caught you off guard I guess.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    You missed the portion where I said that I truly side with both factions of this debate. I only chose to take a side on this issue because quite a few of the rock fans here seem to be incapable of forming coherent opinions.

If someone tries to defend rock and still bash rap as nothing but the mainstream crap, then they're being too biased to know what good music is.

water&icepower

Specialty Trainer
    Years
    Rap is okay at times. But after a while, it gets annoying. To me anyway. I like Hip-Hop more than Rap. Because Hip-Hop is more of dancing music rather than lyrical music. But Rock, I have to say I like ALOT. And i don't like only the present rock. The 80's appealed to me as well. And rock has lived longer than Rap. The only Rock that probably annoys me is metal . But other than that I LOVE ROCK!!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Well I voted for Rap. Reason being is my high preferal of Hip Hop and RnB over Rock music.

I can listen to both kinds though. The thing is, when all I can hear (in a rock song), is endless shouting or the artist going on about crap (I'm looking at Nirvana here), I just wanna piss on the CD.

But I'm cool with almost all Rap/Hip Hop/RnB - especially if it has mad bass.

Baihu

Starting Goalie
    Years
    Rap all the way. Rock's pretty cool, but rap's just got the beat to hook me in.

EDIT: Actually, I gotta agree with ray.z's opinion about rock. Because all they do is whining about how horrible their life is; their girlfriend broke up with them, or some crap like that. It's what you call emo music. Yeah, hip-hop is better than rap, especially for parties, cause it's more dance-style, and R&B is awesome. But if you were to use Linkin Park as an example of rock, then it's definitely pointless shouting/emo music (I remember one song where the guy screams "Shut up when I'm talking to you" over and over again, and that's not cool).

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Rock.... Its my favorite genre of music.

I dont like Rap that much at all...

Years
    Baihu said:
    Rap all the way. Rock's pretty cool, but rap's just got the beat to hook me in.

EDIT: Actually, I gotta agree with ray.z's opinion about rock. Because all they do is whining about how horrible their life is; their girlfriend broke up with them, or some crap like that. It's what you call emo music. Yeah, hip-hop is better than rap, especially for parties, cause it's more dance-style, and R&B is awesome. But if you were to use Linkin Park as an example of rock, then it's definitely pointless shouting/emo music (I remember one song where the guy screams "Shut up when I'm talking to you" over and over again, and that's not cool).

This is why I dislike mainstream "rock" nowadays... giving the overall image a bad one with stereotypes. On the other hand, I try not to stereotype with Rap, either, mind you. So please watch where this is going.

So far, there are only a few intelligent opinions that I can actually agree to but the majority hasn't even put a good reason yet. I'm wating for that so I can have a good discussion.

adeebsworld

dragon pokemon collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2010
    Rock kicks

rock totally kicks *** good rock bands: The clash, ramones, iron maiden, metallica, black sabbath, weezer, papa roach, greenday, ( i like there old stuff and some of american idiot) sum41, blink182, angels and airwaves, boxcar racer, system of a down, all american rejects,

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    @ Akinari:Well it's all dependent on personal tastes.

The reason why many (including myself at times), describe music with mainstream music in mind is because that's what many of us are exposed to, and that's what generally appeals to (most of) us most.

Like for example, I really dislike almost all Australian music (specially aussie rap), simply because it doesn't appeal to me (and the fact that many try really hard to be mainstream).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back