• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RBY + GSC > DPP + RSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Really, both the new and old gens have their ups and downs so arguing is pointless

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Fine, nostalgia goggles and poorly developed opinions.

Puzzles and RPGs go hand in hand- dungeon puzzle solving has been as much of a part of the game as the dungeon boss for quite a while now. It creates a unique challenge from LOL ATTACK AND WIN GAME, and keeps the game interesting. Without them, you have simple dungeon crawling, and even simpler HIT ENEMIES UNTIL THEY DIE battle mechanics.

We are playing Pokemon, right?

Granted, Pokemon is different from most other RPGs, but it's an RPG nonetheless. It's nice to see it borrow (good) ideas from its brethren.

... Or it would, except I can't seem to recall D/P having any puzzles, outside of gyms and Strength puzzles. And those have been around since R/B, I'm fairly certain.

Turnback Cave? (And what are RBY's Gym Puzzles [excluding Sabrina] compared to Candice's, Volkner's, Byron's, Maylene's [to an extent], or Crasher Wake's [IIR-that-one-C]

See above.

Well, it's simple. Anyone who posts in Pokemon General/ Pokemon D/P with little to no idea of what they're talking about = newb. Especially ones that think EVs/ IVs are too complicated.

Hmm, well, I do know what I'm talking about, so I guess I wouldn't fall under that category?

That is a LOT of people.
    Ha, I'm still laughing from your initial post in this thread.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • We are playing Pokemon, right?

RPGs in general. Which, by extension, refers to Pokemon.

Candice's, Volkner's, Byron's, Maylene's [to an extent], or Crasher Wake's [IIR-that-one-C]

Wait, those are puzzles? Those are really straightforward and simple. (with the possible exception of Candice, as I seem to have a disability when it comes to sliding ice floor puzzles).

As for Turnback Cave, I've yet to do that, so I can't say.

Detox

Well they were supposed to be but they are more like annoying minigames...

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    RPGs in general. Which, by extension, refers to Pokemon.

Wait, those are puzzles? Those are really straightforward and simple. (with the possible exception of Candice, as I seem to have a disability when it comes to sliding ice floor puzzles).

As for Turnback Cave, I've yet to do that, so I can't say.
    Hmm, maybe puzzle wasn't quite the right word... Perhaps just a general annoyance?

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • AC just brought the IQ level of this topic WAY up. But don't count out Glitter who is doing her best to hold it back around the level of seaweed.

Here I summarize Glitter Stain's stance:

"I don't want the game to be hard. I don't want anything other than battling. I don't want balance. I only want pokemon who are cute/cool; ugly pokemon serve no purpose. If added features don't satisfy me, I'd rather have a game with NO added features. Shorter games = better. Gym puzzles are really HARD! Every town should have a gym or else it shouldn't exist. Any changes are bad."

I can back up every single thing I just said with things Glitter girl has said to the point where that summary cannot be refuted.

Years
  • Really, both the new and old gens have their ups and downs so arguing is pointless
    BUT WHERES THE FUN IN THAT?!?!?!11one2 =P

The only thing I really don't agree with at all in this thread is the puzzle arguement. Puzzles add to the gameplay; without it, you basically have linear, straightforward gameplay with no twists or surprise (or in some cases, no challanges as well). Could you imagine, say, a Zelda game that had dungeons without puzzles? Or any kind of RPG-type of game for that matter? It would basically be walking around big open areas, most of the time being unchallanged in any way at all.

It's really the same thing with Pokemon. What fun or challange would the Seafoam Islands or Victory Road in RBY have provided if it didn't have the boulder-pushing puzzle? Without puzzles, the gyms would all be the same. Nothing would set them apart beside the trainers, and the Pokemon they use.

Honestly, I can't imagne a Pokemon game without some kind of puzzle, whether it be in a cave or a gym. And really, none of them are very hard at all, so I don't know where that's coming from either. Probably the hardest puzzle I've ever dealt with in Pokemon was the Ice Cave in GSC, and even that doesn't take very long.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • BUT WHERES THE FUN IN THAT?!?!?!11one2 =P

The only thing I really don't agree with at all in this thread is the puzzle arguement. Puzzles add to the gameplay; without it, you basically have linear, straightforward gameplay with no twists or surprise (or in some cases, no challanges as well). Could you imagine, say, a Zelda game that had dungeons without puzzles? Or any kind of RPG-type of game for that matter?

It's the same thing with Pokemon. What fun or challange would the Seafoam Islands or Victory Road in RBY have provided without the boulder-pushing puzzle? Without puzzles, the gyms would all be the same. Nothing would set them apart beside the trainers, and the Pokemon they use.

Honestly, I can't imagne a Pokemon game without some kind of puzzle, whether it be in a cave or a gym. And really, none of them are very hard at all, so I don't know where that's coming from either. Probably the hardest puzzle I've ever dealt with in Pokemon was the Ice Cave in GSC, and even that doesn't take very long.

That's ALL you disagree with? You think Gengar should be harmed by Earthquake? LOL

Detox

For a fact, the hardest "puzzle" of any pokemon game is turnback cave, where every room is randomly generated...

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    AC just brought the IQ level of this topic WAY up. But don't count out Glitter who is doing her best to hold it back around the level of seaweed.

Here I summarize Glitter Stain's stance:

"I don't want the game to be hard. I don't want anything other than battling. I don't want balance. I only want pokemon who are cute/cool; ugly pokemon serve no purpose. If added features don't satisfy me, I'd rather have a game with NO added features. Shorter games = better. Gym puzzles are really HARD! Every town should have a gym or else it shouldn't exist. Any changes are bad."

I can back up every single thing I just said with things Glitter girl has said to the point where that summary cannot be refuted.
    Considering your "summary" is highly a parody... it's much more extremist than anything I've said... and not even accurate to my opinion. Clearly you've gone beyond trying to haphazardly defend your nostalgic fever (seeing as it appears that you were born around the time that Emerald came out) and gone straight to trolling and trying to have everyone join your vacant bandwagon.

If you had even read any of the posts in the last page or so, you'd know that you were completely wrong with your conclusion about my opinion. Good bye.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Considering your "summary" is highly a parody... it's much more extremist than anything I've said... and not even accurate to my opinion. Clearly you've gone beyond trying to haphazardly defend your nostalgic fever (seeing as it appears that you were born around the time that Emerald came out) and gone straight to trolling and trying to have everyone join your vacant bandwagon.

If you had even read any of the posts in the last page or so, you'd know that you were completely wrong with your conclusion about my opinion. Good bye.

LOL you are 14. I was in the 4th grade when pokemon first came out in America. You were not in school.

I don't have to defend what I just said before, because it's all claims that you've made or implied. If you want to type up your entire argument again so that doesn't apply, be my guest, but as it stands you've argued everything that I said you did.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • With regards to WiFi vs. Shoddy, I am one of the few people who initially started on Shoddy and, after about a month of fighting the same teams over and over, decided that WiFi would be better. At least there, I had a shred of fun. >=|

Back to the point, I think what Glitter is trying to say is that the latter generations have a different feel from the original games ("more complex dungeons", "more filler towns", "fuglier Pokemon", etc.), and because of that, are inferior just because they strayed from the initial feel of what a Pokemon game "should be" that the first two generations established. Personally, the difference is miniscule and I embrace the newer Pokemon games with impunity to the minute changes made in the recent generations. I've no need to back this up as I have in my initial post, so I'll just say that while I think the initial generations are good for the nostalgia value, as someone who is not only a player with the mindstate of a competitive battler, but one who is -seemingly- oblivious to the hordes of people who jump on GSC and claim it's the Pokemon Jesus, I don't think GSC was the best. (I'll stand by D/P/Pt for the sake of what it's done for the competitive metagame.)

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • With regards to WiFi vs. Shoddy, I am one of the few people who initially started on Shoddy and, after about a month of fighting the same teams over and over, decided that WiFi would be better. At least there, I had a shred of fun. >=|

Back to the point, I think what Glitter is trying to say is that the latter generations have a different feel from the original games ("more complex dungeons", "more filler towns", "fuglier Pokemon", etc.), and because of that, are inferior just because they strayed from the initial feel of what a Pokemon game "should be" that the first two generations established. Personally, the difference is miniscule and I embrace the newer Pokemon games with impunity to the minute changes made in the recent generations. I've no need to back this up as I have in my initial post, so I'll just say that while I think the initial generations are good for the nostalgia value, as someone who is not only a player with the mindstate of a competitive battler, but one who is -seemingly- oblivious to the hordes of people who jump on GSC and claim it's the Pokemon Jesus, I don't think GSC was the best. (I'll stand by D/P/Pt for the sake of what it's done for the competitive metagame.)

WHOAMG wave of intelligence and rational thought!

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • WHOAMG wave of intelligence and rational thought!

WHOAMG wave of retarded troll!

Look, if you're going to brush off all arguments presented against you, then nobody's going to take what you have to say seriously. If you're going to present a counter-argument, don't reply in a way that makes you sound like a total idiot. You're contributing nothing to the progression and discussion of the thread, and you're asking yourself to get banned with the way you are blatantly insulting the intelligence of other members of the forum.

Glitter admitted she made a mistake. Therefore, your argument, which addresses the points that she herself owned up to as being irrational, becomes nothing but trolling. Stop it.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • XD I can't help but laugh at people who get butthurt over what people say on the internet.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's e-feelings. LOL

Look, I respond intelligently and whole-heartedly to topics which are presented that way. But this topic is clearly a steaming pile of stupid, so of course I'm not going to respond to anything seriously.

And I DID ask to be banned, literally. Aegis was too soft to do it.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Okay, this thread is just turning into a flame war 8( Every time I look up I have a new report for it, I swear, all that this is is fighting and arguing over the same old stuff.

-Closed-

YOOM-TAH: It's not called being soft, it's, you know, trying to be nice and give you another chance. *shrug*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back