• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reck's tile showcase

Which tileset looks like it was made with better quality?

• Tileset 1

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Tileset 2

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Flygon999

Project Sugilite
    Years
    I didn't really make them in any certain style... i guess more DP though.
    And I'm going to keep both waters... for a while

Anyway i updated the first post with a new house. C+C please.

I like the new house :)

I've converted all of the trees, ledges, rocks, and grass and such to RMXP. I'm adding the buildings now. When I finish I'll make a game FRLG based, because to me it that's how it looks =\, so, I think they are awesome. Permission granted to use?

EDIT:: Also, would you happen to have a lab, or did I miss it?

Last edited:

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I like the new house :)

I've converted all of the trees, ledges, rocks, and grass and such to RMXP. I'm adding the buildings now. When I finish I'll make a game FRLG based, because to me it that's how it looks =\, so, I think they are awesome. Permission granted to use?

EDIT:: Also, would you happen to have a lab, or did I miss it?

Of course... just be sure to credit me!
    And yes i have a lab... its right above my new orange roofed house... speaking of that i updated the first post with two new houses... C+C please.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    as of now my tileset is... completed... now tileset no. 2 is on the way... the first 3 tiles are in the firsts post... C+C please.

EDIT: i updated the new tileset... C+C please

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2010
    I would suggest you make appartment buildings/brick houses now, since you have enough wooden houses already.
    Also, try to use different colours for the wood. It would all bring more varity into your tileset.

(Also I think you mispelled "use" in your tutorial :P).

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks. I'll work on brick houses next. And just fixed my spelling error:embarrass

Anyway i added a gym to tileset 2 so take a look and rate.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Alright folk's sorry for the inactivity. I've just postponed tileset no.2 and added tileset no.3 please take a look.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I updated again... with two houses... does no one responding mean you like them... or are they so bad you don't want to comment on them... if you don't have C+C just tell me what you think in a VM... I just need someone to say something about them that's all...

Years
    The quality and attention to detail in most of these tiles is purely amazing. You have a natural talent with tilesets, though I can see a problem in some of the more grey buildings. They could do with a bit more shading around the sides to match the rest of the buildings. Specifically the Pokemon Centre (at least I think it's a PC) in tileset 3. Something about the low contrast doesn't seem quite right. But don't get me wrong, the tilesets are epic I just had to mention the grey. =P

The only things that couldn't possibly need improving at all are the trees from my perspective.

Years
    Well, here we go. You asked for it. ;)

Because you have a large amount of tiles, I going to critique most of them in groups, rather than raating them by each individual graphic.

Anyway, I am going to begin with tileset one. The small grass, bush, flowers, signs, rock, and cut tree are okay. The grass has an awkward patter that doesn't look very nice when it is used to cover a large area, mainly because of the empty corner in the lower-left of the tile. Try adding in some more light green there. The wind Pokémon grass needs some work. While that style is can look good, it needs to be rearranged in order to do so in a large area. What you could is take the one of the four wild Pokémon grasses from the tile and align it to an 8x8 tile rather than align all four to a 16x16 tile. That way, all you need to do is take four of those 8x8's and arrange them to make a 16x16. Besides the allignment, these things need a shadow, or a more prevalent one if one already exists. That way they don't appear to be hovering. The flowers are pretty decent, but the leaves need to be worked on. Try making something that looks like ellipse, but with onse side straighter than the other for a leaf. One other problem with the flower is the one flower that was rotated. It just looks odd at that angle, and would probably look better if it was rotated back to the angle it was at. For the whit sign, it could use some work, also. For one, the shading is way off. The brightest spot should be at the top, not on the side facing the player. Now, you should of course make the area where the text is supposed to be brighter than the rest of the side. The sign should also be a bit bigger, so you can make some fake letters to put in it. This way, the sign looks like it actually says something. The bush, the rock, and the cut tree are fine the way they are, as they are edits of Nintendo stuff. Now onto the paths and stuff. In general, all these tiles have a boring border. Try adding the regular grass pattern in place of the solid green there. Also, try a 2-pixel wide outline of the darkest shade of the grass to each one. That way, the transition is much smoother, the paths/waters look like they are actually a part of the tile. Once again, there is the hovering issue. Now, onto each individual one. The light green path has one thing wrong with it, aside from the other issues: it has no texture. For a beginning texture, I would suggest you base it off of the standard grass tile. Don't use it, but use it as an example. This way, your style will also be consistant. The dark dirt pathcould use a little brightening up, as well as spots of an additional shade of brown.This way, you get a much better texture. The sand tile is similar to the dirt one, except you should darken it a little bit instead of lightening it. Yes, that also means you should add some of an additional shade of brown. For the brick path, if it is eroding away, I would suggest you add in some bits and pieces at the edge. If not, try giving it a more defined border, which could be done with bricks of only the light color. The first water needs some work, but this one is a little tricky to do, anyway. You should make it look like the grass is overlapping the grass, rather than sitting on top of it. To do this, you are going to want to make the bottom half of the brown area only about 1-2 pixels thick, with the grass overlapping it in some areas. For the sides, they should be 2-3 pixels thick, the grass once again overlapping in some parts. For this, you are going to want to use the dark brown underneath the grass pixels that are overlapping and lighter brown elseware. Now, the top part should be about 4-5 pixels wide, the grass overlapping it in some parts (once again). As I said before, use the darker brown underneath the grass, and the lighter brown elseware. For now. In addition to this, a third, brighter shade of brown is needed for this part. All that needs to be done is to use the paint bucket tool to fill where middle shade of brown was. Then, use the middle shade to transition between the dark and the light, and to create cracks and crevices. If you want to, you can also use the darkest brown for the last part, too.

Well I'm sorry I couldn't rate everything, but I got to go. I'll edit this when I get the time to critique everything else. But see, I told you I wrote alot.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    The quality and attention to detail in most of these tiles is purely amazing. You have a natural talent with tilesets, though I can see a problem in some of the more grey buildings. They could do with a bit more shading around the sides to match the rest of the buildings. Specifically the Pokemon Centre (at least I think it's a PC) in tileset 3. Something about the low contrast doesn't seem quite right. But don't get me wrong, the tilesets are epic I just had to mention the grey. =P

The only things that couldn't possibly need improving at all are the trees from my perspective.
    Thanks i worked on the contrast (in tileset 3)

Well, here we go. You asked for it. ;)

Because you have a large amount of tiles, I going to critique most of them in groups, rather than raating them by each individual graphic.

Anyway, I am going to begin with tileset one. The small grass, bush, flowers, signs, rock, and cut tree are okay. The grass has an awkward patter that doesn't look very nice when it is used to cover a large area, mainly because of the empty corner in the lower-left of the tile. Try adding in some more light green there. The wind Pokémon grass needs some work. While that style is can look good, it needs to be rearranged in order to do so in a large area. What you could is take the one of the four wild Pokémon grasses from the tile and align it to an 8x8 tile rather than align all four to a 16x16 tile. That way, all you need to do is take four of those 8x8's and arrange them to make a 16x16. Besides the allignment, these things need a shadow, or a more prevalent one if one already exists. That way they don't appear to be hovering. The flowers are pretty decent, but the leaves need to be worked on. Try making something that looks like ellipse, but with onse side straighter than the other for a leaf. One other problem with the flower is the one flower that was rotated. It just looks odd at that angle, and would probably look better if it was rotated back to the angle it was at. For the whit sign, it could use some work, also. For one, the shading is way off. The brightest spot should be at the top, not on the side facing the player. Now, you should of course make the area where the text is supposed to be brighter than the rest of the side. The sign should also be a bit bigger, so you can make some fake letters to put in it. This way, the sign looks like it actually says something. The bush, the rock, and the cut tree are fine the way they are, as they are edits of Nintendo stuff. Now onto the paths and stuff. In general, all these tiles have a boring border. Try adding the regular grass pattern in place of the solid green there. Also, try a 2-pixel wide outline of the darkest shade of the grass to each one. That way, the transition is much smoother, the paths/waters look like they are actually a part of the tile. Once again, there is the hovering issue. Now, onto each individual one. The light green path has one thing wrong with it, aside from the other issues: it has no texture. For a beginning texture, I would suggest you base it off of the standard grass tile. Don't use it, but use it as an example. This way, your style will also be consistant. The dark dirt pathcould use a little brightening up, as well as spots of an additional shade of brown.This way, you get a much better texture. The sand tile is similar to the dirt one, except you should darken it a little bit instead of lightening it. Yes, that also means you should add some of an additional shade of brown. For the brick path, if it is eroding away, I would suggest you add in some bits and pieces at the edge. If not, try giving it a more defined border, which could be done with bricks of only the light color. The first water needs some work, but this one is a little tricky to do, anyway. You should make it look like the grass is overlapping the grass, rather than sitting on top of it. To do this, you are going to want to make the bottom half of the brown area only about 1-2 pixels thick, with the grass overlapping it in some areas. For the sides, they should be 2-3 pixels thick, the grass once again overlapping in some parts. For this, you are going to want to use the dark brown underneath the grass pixels that are overlapping and lighter brown elseware. Now, the top part should be about 4-5 pixels wide, the grass overlapping it in some parts (once again). As I said before, use the darker brown underneath the grass, and the lighter brown elseware. For now. In addition to this, a third, brighter shade of brown is needed for this part. All that needs to be done is to use the paint bucket tool to fill where middle shade of brown was. Then, use the middle shade to transition between the dark and the light, and to create cracks and crevices. If you want to, you can also use the darkest brown for the last part, too.

Well I'm sorry I couldn't rate everything, but I got to go. I'll edit this when I get the time to critique everything else. But see, I told you I wrote alot.
    I see a lot of great points there! I won't work on them for a while though. I'm busy with tileset 3. So could you comment on that next if you have time?

Also tileset 3 has (or will be in a moment) been updated! I added a mart and a gym. Also a few tweaks here and there.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    What do you think of this Poke center? Do you like this one or the old one? If you like this one then I'll make the mart and gym in this style to.

Reck's tile showcase

(TILESET 3)

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    Its amasing!
    It gives a good feeling but seems a bit too... wooden, a lot of people are doing either wooden or metallic and futuristic! I would like to see more of the style you used for the Pokecenter in Tileset 2!

C.N.C

Tile Artist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2013
    your pc is great.
    you must make a mart and a gym to.
    great job.:P

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks for your comments guys... do you think this one looks better codec?
    Reck's tile showcase

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    That looks absolutely Amazing!!!!!
    I love it! I just love that style!

The silver part seems to be missing some shading but otherwise - great work!

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks codec and i added some texture to the silver part. Also i added a pokemart. look at the first post to view them.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    They are really good, I would maybe suggest adding some shadows to the houses, but that is all.

Forgive me if it has been said but I don't want to look through five pages.
    Do you mind if I use some of the houses in my Pokémon game? They match mine so well and it would be very helpful to use them.

Back