• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reck's tile showcase

Which tileset looks like it was made with better quality?

• Tileset 1

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Tileset 2

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Reck's tile showcase

Welcome to my tile showcase. My name is Reck. I'm always trying to improve my self in every way possible. So with your help I may become a very good tile artist!​

So without further ado!..​

Tileset 1 - Done
    Spoiler:

Tileset 2 - Postponed
    Spoiler:

Tileset 3
    Spoiler:

Tutorials

Windows
    Spoiler:

Please rate my tiles so that I may become an amazing spriter!​

[FONT=&quot]Be sure if you use my sprites to give me credit!

[/FONT]​

Last edited:

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks im working some trails right now :)

EDIT:
    I just finished on the trails look at the first post.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    I don't think you quite hit the shading.
    Somehow, they look very 2-D.
    Have you seen tree spriting tutorial?
    It shows you to shade under the branches, and you just... added levels of shading. There is always room for improvement.
    Good luck with your next tiles!

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I don't think you quite hit the shading.
    Somehow, they look very 2-D.
    Have you seen tree spriting tutorial?
    It shows you to shade under the branches, and you just... added levels of shading. There is always room for improvement.
    Good luck with your next tiles!

Where can i find the tutorial I searched it but i couldn't find it.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    The tree's are looking so 2D you want to make them more rounded looked at the DP or the FR tiles their tree's are nicley rounded while your are flat try practicing the tree style first before posting some tiles

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Hmmm...I don't think i'm quite getting it yet but, i think this one looks better...

Reck's tile showcase

I tried to get a little more shading...

EDIT:
    I just added a pokemon center. I'm not going to add anything until i can get what i have to look better. Please give me some feed back.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I think they look good.: ) You should keep on making them.

Since it's the first time I've seen you post here I'm gonna let you off. But you must post with constructive criticism/elaborate comments in this section. Try saying why you like them, what works well etc. Like I said, you're pretty new so, it's ok these things happen. Just make sure to read the rules and try to post within the pixel art guidelines in future. :]

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Since it's the first time I've seen you post here I'm gonna let you off. But you must post with constructive criticism/elaborate comments in this section. Try saying why you like them, what works well etc. Like I said, you're pretty new so, it's ok these things happen. Just make sure to read the rules and try to post within the pixel art guidelines in future. :]

That's depressing, I love seeing you inforce the rules in a more...I can't think of the word but it's funnier. As for the tiles the new tree seems to be jpeg. I might(probably) be wrong but some pixels look out of place. Other than that they look nice.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    thanks for your support. its not jpged. it looked fine to me but i have a hd screen. i can't say to much because im on my psp i'll check it out tomoro. again thanks for your support.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Nope it isn't jpeg I was wrong. I just saw the light pixels mixed in and thought it was. That would be my only complaint. Those pixels look out of place.

Years
    I actually quite like these. They have a nice, cartoon-like feel to them. The most obvious thing I notice is the pine tree. It's oddly shaped. I recommend shortening the middle (3rd) layer by about 2 pixels.
    The same with the other tree. It's just a couple of pixels to high in the center, which gives it an odd shape. Maybe thinning out the trunk a little would help, too? The leaf:trunk ratio seems a little off.

The dirt path thing's dark spots bug me. I can't tell if it needs more, or less, or if they just need to be differently positioned, but.. it needs something.

The spacing in the tall grass seems a little... off. Maybe put the top two patches of grass up a pixel? If you do that, it leaves exactly 3 pixels of space between all the grass.. vertically, at least.
    I'm not a tile spriter, so I'm not sure how important symmetry is when making tiles, but if you pushed one of the patches on each row to the side, it would also equalize the spacing.

If that's hard to understand:
    Reck's tile showcase

[Edit] That Pokemon Center does not fit in with these tiles. The palette is way too bright.

Last edited:

Ayselipera

I like the nature scene. I could see it in a real game.

The building has too bright of a roof and the body of it is too bland.
    I think the shape is formed well. It just needs new color and details.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    thanks everyone for your feedback. i agree with you on the pokecenter iv made another one and ill post it tomorow. ill shorten the trees a bit and move tall grass around. the trail... ill work on it a bit. gah my thumbs hurt. im on my psp. again thank you for your feedback.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    ^That's rude. You don't just come in, point someone to a link, and have him figure out the mistake.

When I saw your title, I thought you were making a... pun? ("Lord of the Reck's tiles" -> "Lord of the Reptiles")
    It sounds like it, but... whatever. Back on topic.

I won't talk too much. I'm not a tile spriter, BUT I still know how to judge a bit.
    The second tree looks too 2D. I thinks the leaves should be "overlapping" the trunk. Like how you did for the first one. I would want to give you a picture to show it, but my computer seems to be acting up and I need to restart it.
    The grass DOES look oddly spaced. Maybe the grass should cover the whole patch, so that there won't be gaps, as shown in Kenji's picture.

What is that water patch near the top left? It doesn't really look like a pond.

~Azumi

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    ^That's rude. You don't just come in, point someone to a link, and have him figure out the mistake.

When I saw your title, I thought you were making a... pun? ("Lord of the Reck's tiles" -> "Lord of the Reptiles")
    It sounds like it, but... whatever. Back on topic.

I won't talk too much. I'm not a tile spriter, BUT I still know how to judge a bit.
    The second tree looks too 2D. I thinks the leaves should be "overlapping" the trunk. Like how you did for the first one. I would want to give you a picture to show it, but my computer seems to be acting up and I need to restart it.
    The grass DOES look oddly spaced. Maybe the grass should cover the whole patch, so that there won't be gaps, as shown in Kenji's picture.

What is that water patch near the top left? It doesn't really look like a pond.

~Azumi

Could you tell me why you think the water dosn't look like a pond? Should I make it more transparent? Should I make it a lighter blue? Should I have make it so you can see the ledge under the water? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to know more about what you see. I'm gonna work on fixing the trees and the grass when i get home. Thanks evryone for your support.

-Lord of the Reck

PS
    Never thought of it as a pun. Haha.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Yeah but he said he couldn't find any tutorials.
    I know it would be rude the opposite way.

And, I'm not really the guy to tell him what to do and how to sprite. I can't sprite myself :) :P (or I can but it's useless)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    How is it some of you manage to post without constructive criticism/elaboration right after I just told another member in this thread about it?
    Seriously, some of you really need to read the rules.

Azumi, I know you didn't agree with Colorful's approach but there's no need to bring it up, it just derails this topic further.

Anyway Reck, the tree tiles are my main problem, they look too stretched/flat, and don't really fit the overhead look of pokemon.

Back