• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religion and Atheism

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I think it is very sad how many Christians there are... and then how many actually practice it. Only 43% of "Christians" actually go to church once a week. I think that if you want to be part of a religion, you must practice it, or else it shows how little you actually care about it...

You know, you don't technically have to go to church to still fully practice Christianity.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Religiously, I'm like Switzerland. :D I take in any possible religion without actually devoting myself to any one religion. I don't mind being classified as a Buddhist or a Christian or a Daoist, but even in so doing I don't deny the other religions. I just like following religion in general because each religion has a noble purpose however much it's been twisted, and they all have some kind of useful moral value, and they all have an interest and a ritual, but there's no reason to choose one over the other. I happen to go to a Christian church, but I don't think Christianity is in any way better or worse than, say, Islam, so I don't overvalue it. People might consider this pantheism or agnosticism or whatever they want . . . I don't think it needs a name. xD
    Even if two different people both call themselves Christian, they're religions still aren't the exact same because everyone believes in a different way and everyone has a different level of faith. Grouping together Bill, Hope, and David together and calling them all "Catholic" is like grouping together Yi, Mandarin, and Taiwanese and calling them all "Chinese". Even if Hope and David go through the same church and were baptised by the same priest, and live the same life of God, you can bet they still think of God in different ways.
    I suppose the term "atheism" exists because it's only one word, whereas "I'm not religious" is three.
    Ironically, there's even a separate word for not particularly celebrating your faith and religion without actually being atheist. It's "irreligious."

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
    Years
    Okay, then I'll just say this one thing: I'm pretty sure Christianity, or some branches of it, teach you to fear God. I've never heard of someone genuinely fearing and loving someone at the same time.

Id say you misunderstand a religionist's sentiments for his/her Deity.

But I do not wish to get into any public debates about religions on any secular forum. Would you rather we discuss this on vm/pm?

Hassan

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I was brought up christian. When you and your classmates in school are being taught about this apparent all knowing and loving being and all these tales of miracles at the age of 5, you're not exactly going to decide that it's not for you. This notion always stuck in the back of my head, however. Whenever I did something I thought God would see unsuitable, I got anxious. it was like I was being watched constantly. As I grew older I, understandably, began to mature - use stronger language here and there, become more rebellious to a degree. I even remember myself quietly saying sorry to God after swearing, for example, as if he was actually there.

I suppose my point is, I began to feel that having a religion and believing in a God was becoming a bit of a weight on my shoulders - an unnecessary weight, if I might add. I don't need a higher deity in my life, I'm perfectly happy the way things are. And that's just my decision. I don't go around patronizing people for what they do/don't believe in.

People have their beliefs, I'll have mine. I wish it was as simple as that, but unfortunately it's not as easy for some people to accept in parts of the world.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I was brought up christian. When you and your classmates in school are being taught about this apparent all knowing and loving being and all these tales of miracles at the age of 5, you're not exactly going to decide that it's not for you.

I know the feeling about being taught Christianity in school. My Infant School taught Christianity as absolute fact, despite not being a religious school. I'd say by the time I was 7 years old I was questioning it though, I simply couldn't fathom the idea of a deity or "his" son the magical man who was brought back to life.

I think schools should only teach about religion and at least try to give an even coverage of all the major religions rather than just one. Thankfully my later schools have been better about this.

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
    I know the feeling about being taught Christianity in school. My Infant School taught Christianity as absolute fact, despite not being a religious school. I'd say by the time I was 7 years old I was questioning it though, I simply couldn't fathom the idea of a deity or "his" son the magical man who was brought back to life.

I think schools should only teach about religion and at least try to give an even coverage of all the major religions rather than just one. Thankfully my later schools have been better about this.

my school did this, we had to sing hymns every day in assembly. and we listened to story's from the bible and even prayed! my mother was catholic, but she didn't like how the school was forcing religion onto us.

also: agnostic IS NOT simply "i dunno". its proper definition is a belief in the idea that it is impossible to prove or disprove god.

i am agnostic in terms of god, but atheist in terms of religion ( i like science and its logical process, and logic told me the 2 things really should be considered separately)

i don't ever argue with religious people about god, but sometimes i cant help but point out something they got wrong with their religion. they then say i am being offensive (annoys me this does. but not everyone does it of course)

edit: just noticed. i think religion should not be taught at all, you cant teach all of the religions in school due to time constraints. unless all religions are taught (atheism and agnosticism included), people cant make informed decisions. in the end religious studies will turn into a god and morals lesson. morals are the parent's teachings and god is a very personal choice. unless there is something that is required to get a job (the purpose of school lets not forget). it should not be taught.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm still active here! A bit!

I'm a Christian, if some of you can remember back months on here. Don't like Catholic doctrines... especially the hierarchy of bishops, cardinals, etc. I think it was justified at one point, but in the present day it's unnecessary. So there's that.

Now, about those who say that we shouldn't "whip our religion out", how can we not? Why should we not? To continue the euphemisms, every time somebody bothers to look, it should be obvious it's there.
    That's part of what it is to be One of Us- it should be evident that you follow a Christian code of behavior, that's what convinces others there's something different.

"You can have your faith, but for the love of [Preferred Term] don't tell me about it!"
    Also completely missing the point, at least the way I was taught. Force is not a correct option, but we are called to share the faith, and this can be a logical extension of a good relationship with God.

Sinners go to "the H word" (Don't tell ME I'm going to Hell!)
    I've been spared that by Jesus' death
    I really don't want him to go to Hell.
    Ergo, I really want to fix that, with the same thing that saved me.

Not that I do it myself, but showing him how to do it for himself, and hope he accepts.

Should people be stifling what they believe for the sake of normal society? Answer this, someone. Definitively.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    my school did this, we had to sing hymns every day in assembly. and we listened to story's from the bible and even prayed! my mother was catholic, but she didn't like how the school was forcing religion onto us.

I forgot about that; we had to pray in assembly all the way through Junior school, for the most part though I would just sort of mumble along. It was especially annoying when priests were invited to talk to us.
    Apparently there's some law that makes (made?) it necessary for schools to join in prayer twice a week. If that law is still around it needs to be repealed not least because there may be some devout members of other religions who don't wan't to partake in a Christian prayer.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Is there any scientific evidence that proves that there isn't a god? Just because gods can't be proved doesn't mean that they are automatically disproved.

No, but it isn't our job to disprove something, it is your job to prove it.

---
    As for me, I'm really undecided. It could be real, could not be. If there does happen to be a god, that would make me a Deist.

Years
    No, but it isn't our job to disprove something, it is your job to prove it.

A religious person could just as easily turn around and say it isn't their job to disprove that there are no gods, and that it's your job to prove that gods don't exist. Both sides are still believing in something, for religious people it's the belief that gods exist and for atheists it's the belief that gods do not exist.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Ugh, the annoying thing about this argument is that both side's arguments are exactly the same, except for one eensie weensie little concept:

The atheists argue that there cannot be a God because he hasn't been discovered yet.

The religious argue that there is a God, except he hasn't been discovered yet.

So please. Come up with something a eensie weensie bit more creative than that.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    Even if he did exist (which, quite frankly, I do not believe), he wouldn't be worth worshipping anyway because of his capricious personality (he'll have you burn in hell forever in eternal pain if you don't worship him, but he still loves you!! Pfft).

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
    A religious person could just as easily turn around and say it isn't their job to disprove that there are no gods, and that it's your job to prove that gods don't exist. Both sides are still believing in something, for religious people it's the belief that gods exist and for atheists it's the belief that gods do not exist.

its the job of the side making the most unlikely suggestion to prove their view.

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
    Years
    I'm agnostic, so I believe it's good to be open to new ideas like afterlife, reincarnation, the idea of God, etc. But at the same time it's good to be sceptical. There are many good examples to live your life that are said in Holy Books- just don't take the whole religion idea too literal as that's what makes a terrorist (unless what they are fighting for is a territorial or financial matter of course)!

Years
    I'm agnostic, so I believe it's good to be open to new ideas like afterlife, reincarnation, the idea of God, etc. But at the same time it's good to be sceptical. There are many good examples to live your life that are said in Holy Books- just don't take the whole religion idea too literal as that's what makes a terrorist (unless what they are fighting for is a territorial or financial matter of course)!

I agree with this. When people read too much into religion, and when they take the various scriptures literally and in a far to serious fashion is when trouble springs up. They aren't meant to be read literally.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Religiously, I'm like Switzerland. :D I take in any possible religion without actually devoting myself to any one religion. I don't mind being classified as a Buddhist or a Christian or a Daoist, but even in so doing I don't deny the other religions.
    Many religions have a clause somewhere saying that "You must believe in this deity and no others." For example, the Ten Commandments in Judaism and Christianity (Exodus 20:3, 20:4, and 20:5) and the Shahada in Islam (roughly, "there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger") all say to worship no other gods but theirs. Believing in one of these religions excludes you from worshiping any other deities.

also: agnostic IS NOT simply "i dunno". its proper definition is a belief in the idea that it is impossible to prove or disprove god.
    Which is why I think that "agnostic" is kind of a silly position to take. There are very few who would deny this fact; even many religious folk would agree that such a feat is impossible (hence, faith). I still consider myself atheist despite agreeing with that statement.

I claim to be a billionaire. You claim I am lying. The burden of proof is on me because I am making the affirmative claim. I must provide evidence for my claim to hold water. Likewise, if I claim "humans evolved from lesser creatures," the burden of proof is on me; I have to present evidence to substantiate that claim. Skeptics, by definition, don't need to provide evidence. Of course, being a skeptic is only useful to a point; once adequate evidence has been provided, being skeptical is just silly (for instance, if I refuse to believe there is such a thing as "electricity").

Back