• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when there were only 150 pokemon?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
  • what we really need is to take the best pokemon out of each generation, and have a game with the 200 or so good ones. By good, I mean creative and not irritating, which removes Pogleys from every generation: seel was a seal (what a clever name!) hoothoot was just an owl with red eyes, feebas was a blatant attempt to irritate people who wanted to find it and bidoof ... I don't even have to say anything about bidoof. There were creative pokemon from each gemeration as well, though: bulbasaur, togepi, aggron and drifloon. These were pokemon that weren't just animals coloured slightly differently.

anyway, that's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. Just stop trying to verbally kill each other...

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    what we really need is to take the best pokemon out of each generation, and have a game with the 200 or so good ones. By good, I mean creative and not irritating

Yes, but...some of us are huge fans of some of the ones others might consider "irritating."

Many of my favorite Pokemon are not the most popular, "best" ones. (Not that I dislike or don't use the "best" ones too, but I tend to love a lot of less popular ones.)

Your idea is good though....make a game with no new ones, but just certain ones from each generation...combined together through some sort of storyline, not sure what lol.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • I don't mind them adding new Pokémon, just alot of them are just so terrible. Although I did think that with Hoenn Pokémon, now I love most of them. In Sinnoh, Pokémon like Bronzor and all the evolutions of Magmar, Electrobuzz, Murkrow, etc. They are just thrown in, why? They need an extra few. In the next region, they should only add about 30-50. Although, remember in Kanto. Bill said there could be millions of Pokémon.

Emii

I'll Keep Orbiting For You★
    Years
  • Ah, I had a conversation with my friend about this the other day. XD she said one day, when we're older, our grandchildren will come up to us and say "Look! I caught all 3,567,892 Pokemon!" and we'd just think of how we remembered when there used to only be 150.. XD XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    I used to love Pokemon when I was little, back in the day when there was only 150. But I gave it up after I realized there was no way I would ever be able to catch 'em all! haha

xrobx

always against the odds
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    the original 150 were the best. when they came out with more i didn't like them and completely lost interest.

but with diamond and pearl, i think they are back in the right track. i like torterra infernape and empoleon just the same as i did charizard blastoise and venusaur. i really like the pokemon in the diamond and pearl series. the ones that are in the middle... eh, not so much.

but i'm all for them coming out with more and more, if they would have stopped at 150 pokemon would have been dead and gone 7 years ago

Suzume

Fire Fist
    Years
  • I remember that when I first saw the 2nd gen pokemon, I felt really weird, because it had always been just "the 151". It took me some time to think them as 'real pokemon'. But I still got used to them. In fact, I even came to really like some of them. And I thought they were all okay. When the 3rd gen came, I liked some of the pokemon, but there was also couple of pokemon I didn't like at all. They just were too far from originals. And in the 4th gen... there's not more than 5 pokemon I would actually like. And mos of them are either new evos for older pokemon or legendaries. It feels like the creators lack imagination or something. But I still think it's cool to get some new pokemon every once in a while, because it's just refreshing. When there were only 150 pokemon to choose from, my team always looked the same. Now I have so much opinions it's hard to choose just six, when I like so many of them. The creators should just do designs that are more like in the old times.

Years
  • They are still discovering new critters in our world, recently there was a news story of a snake only 4 inches long, so why wouldn't they still discover new Pokemon? Someone please end or lock this thread!

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
  • Quit your attempts in stopping the thread you fascist x'D
    haha, j/k, but hey man, we're havin' a good discussion here, no point in ending it early.

I hope they get on their feet again and make some better designed Pokémon next gen. Or that they just realise that their designers just aren't as good as back in the day and start making uber Pokémon games with 2 regions in one (in 3D) and 2 regions in each version (there would be 2). And maybe Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma games where you play a rookie stealing Pokémon and stuff like that, it could be sweet.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • I don't see why people are complaining about Nintendo adding more content to the game. You don't HAVE to use the old Pokemon. The more Pokemon, the more variety.

The only gripe I have about the amount of Pokemon is that Nintendo force you to buy a ton of games to catch 'em all which is a pretty shameless way of milking money out of fans. But this isn't so bad nowadays thanks to online trading and such.

Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 5, 2010
    Ahhhh, the good ol days :) A time when it was actualy possible to catch them all, A time when you can name them all off the top of you head. I miss those days. Its one of the main reason I kept my blue version all these years

Kenaime

The Untold Legnd/Beast/Prodigy
    Years
  • Yea. i always got my Pokemon Games late.
    but i remeber i went out and Bought RBY at the same time. man u couldnt get me away from my GBC
    yea those were the days. then i borrowed my freinds Red version and started it over as my own. in one weekend i got 105 pokemon.Proud momonet in my life X3

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah, its the time when pokemon were original and "fresh".
    everyone played it then.
    i disagree that it got out of hand with all the new pokemon, but the gotta catch em all phrase is harder than it seems, mainly because not all pokemon are available in a single game, and since most rare ones are only caught in nintendo events.
    I always thought 150 was too little for such a huge pokemon world, and it would be boring after you "caught em all", so they added more pokemon to keep you occupied.
    but i just loved those times when i finally played pokemon red(2000 i think), and looking back at it now, i would give anything just to be like that for one day.
    good times, good times...
    but i just have to say that the d/p pokemon just seem like emotionless dolls now.
    back then, pokemon actually had a facial expression and a personality, with the afro geodude and such.
    But now, geodude just looks like a rock with arms.

SailorShadow

Soldier of Shadows
    Years
  • The good old days... I love the new pokemon, but I miss when it was easy to catch all of them. Now you need at least 3 games to catch them all. Ugh.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Geez I don't know why people keep even talking about the "Gotta catch em all" thing. While it's true this is much more difficult (which is a good thing anyway), it's also something that's not advertised anymore. The old pokemon games/shows/merchandise all touted the phrase "Gotta catch em all", but they don't do that anymore. That's simply no longer what pokemon is about. It is SOMETHING that is still a feature, but it's not even close to the "objective" of the game.

Vega-kun

GX Thunder Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah those were the good old days, when you would wake up at 7:00 before school and rush down to the TV to see the old show. The cards when they were big at school!
    and when Red, Blue and, Yellow first came out!
    ahh, good times good times... XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Ahh, yes my favorite games have to be RBY. However the other generations had their greatness, I love the starters for example in all of the games as they have always had the most flavor.

Back