• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Wow, that's a lot of news to me. Most of the people I see abuse reputation are teenagers who frequent the forums.

The problem with the teenage group, is that the diversity is extreme. It is more worth blocking off the rep to certain groups to take care of most of the hassle in hunting down abusers. I also mentioned those with many infractions. That can surely filter out finely as well.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    It really wouldn't be fair to block out some people, even if it will cut down the rep abusers.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    How would it not be fair? It benefits 99% of the rest and gives us the piece of mind with the age precaution and the consequence restriction.

And don't say it's not fair for the kids, because then it would not be fair to let them into a bar just a equally.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    How would it not be fair? It benefits 99% of the rest and gives us the piece of mind with the age precaution and the consequence restriction.

And don't say it's not fair for the kids, because then it would not be fair to let them into a bar just a equally.

You can't compare the right of young users to use the rep system to a bar. It's not the same thing at all.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    It is sanely comparable, however. If kids were actually let into a bar, they would abuse themselves with the alcohol as well as others because of immaturity. With the rep system, they can also abuse to others, as well as themselves if they prove to be immature enough.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't think the idea would work out, those people who gets the rights taken away won't be happy with it. We can't stereotype with what people of certain age can do. Maybe there is a young user who is more mature than an older user.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012

Preventing people from being able to use the reputation system based on a generalization is not only unfair but close-minded at the same time and cause for more problems down the line. Also, I fail to see how not allowing underage minors inside a business that provides and sells beverages that are, in their circumstances, illegal as being anywhere close to being unfair let alone relevant to the current topic at hand.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    The reputation system should be open to everyone, regardless of age. Not only that, even if this is taken into action, the young users could always lie to the forum system about the age, the forum system has no way of telling if what they are telling it is true or not.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    See what rep does? It causes pointless threads that end in a staff member locking it because people's arguments escalate to an unnecessary point.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Preventing people from being able to use the reputation system based on a generalization is not only unfair but close-minded at the same time and cause for more problems down the line. Also, I fail to see how not allowing underage minors inside a business that provides and sells beverages that are, in their circumstances, illegal as being anywhere close to being unfair let alone relevant to the current topic at hand.

I am not necessarily comparing legality, though. I am comparing potential nuisance to others based on misplacement.

And it is very true that kids that come here still in elementary don't have the maturity to handle this system. So we have to set an age. Just like a voting age was set for the US Presidential elections, so those with lower judgment capacities than others don't get into something only handled by older people.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    It is sanely comparable, however. If kids were actually let into a bar, they would abuse themselves with the alcohol as well as others because of immaturity. With the rep system, they can also abuse to others, as well as themselves if they prove to be immature enough.

Dude, your argument makes no sense. If a man is holding a match, it doesn't mean he'll commit arson. In this case, the match represents immaturity, but that's unfair since that implies (and might as well say directly) that all little kids are immature. Also, adults can do pretty insane stuff in a bar too. Wow, you've stopped the kids from drunk driving or getting drunk at all. Too bad the adults can still do it, which in this case translates to the teenage portion of our members, who abuse rep way more than little kids do lol. So yes, you ban kids from the bar and stop them from drinking, yet drunk driving (which translates to rep abuse) has not been prevented. So what exactly is the point? Even if you say you're not blaming the kids (they're not the Bin Laden of the problem or whatever), you might as well be since they're the ones paying for it. Making rash generalizations for the sake of wanting to try to make things better is a bad way of going about things, and it won't help anyway. If we can't handle the system as it stands (and we obviously can't for the many reasons stated), there's no point in keeping it. But if we do, there's no point in doing some ridiculous age limit which is really unfair and doesn't make sense.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Um, wow. This forum is a Pokémon forum. Pokémon is more attractive to younger children than it is older. Sure, there are some of us who like it, but that's most likely due to the fact that we grew up with it. I know if I randomly turned the anime on without ever hearing about it, I would most likely laugh at it, and change the channel to something else. Limiting reputation to older members, who care about a lot more than just the experience, seems, to be blunt, like a retarded idea.

If you thought this through, you would see the fact that this site is not aimed towards college scholars. It's aimed towards children who share an interest in Pokémon. I highly doubt that many of them even understand the reputation system or want a part in it anyway. I don't think they really care about their reputation, either. Not like that of older teenagers do.

Comparing a Pokemon forum feature to a bar is thinking so far out of the box. What does reputation have anything related to do with alchohol? Absolutely nothing.

My opinion, limiting it to teenagers and up on a Pokémon forum is just a retarded idea. Especially coming from someone as immature as you.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I think it is time to drop the comparison between children in bars with children using rep systems. That makes almost no sense. Especially since there is an age limit on bars because alcoholic beverages are not to be served to minors, like teitan pointed out. Do we even know that children abuse the system more than older users?

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    There isn't much direct evidence that focuses on having kids as the culprits. But in the base of everything, I am just suggesting a small set limit to prevent something.

Besides my suggestion for age restriction, I also brought up an infraction limit. Prohibiting members with excess infractions from the rep system. As a consequence a precaution. Excess, however, is something I can't definitely define. That would be up to staff.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    I am not necessarily comparing legality, though. I am comparing potential nuisance to others based on misplacement.

I feel it is much more beneficial for one to focus on their energy on fixing the actual issue or problem at hand and not on attempting to prevent a scenario that may or may not even happen.

And it is very true that kids that come here still in elementary don't have the maturity to handle this system. So we have to set an age.

Or we can handle those issues if and/or when they happen by our staff informing them of how the reputation system works, what their options are about turning the feature on and off, and allowing them to learn and mature from those situations like we all have or will have to do at some point in our lifetime. If problems arise from them still not being able to handle it, then the staff should take the necessary precautions towards that individual but don't limit or discipline the entire community based on one's actions.

Just like a voting age was set for the US Presidential elections, so those with lower judgment capacities than others don't get into something only handled by older people.

I take it you enjoy extreme examples.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    There isn't much direct evidence that focuses on having kids as the culprits. But in the base of everything, I am just suggesting a small set limit to prevent something.

Besides my suggestion for age restriction, I also brought up an infraction limit. Prohibiting members with excess infractions from the rep system. As a consequence a precaution. Excess, however, is something I can't definitely define. That would be up to staff.

It's still an unfair generalization, so it doesn't really matter. Besides, what's the point of having a limit against a group that you can't prove is "to blame" for the joke that is the reputation system?

The infraction thing is the same deal - a generalization. We can't just determine that all infraction-heavy users are bad for the system so we prevent them from using the system. I'm all for preventative measures (even though it's clear that they're pretty hopeless since, if rep wasn't a joke before, it is now), but they have to be fair. Otherwise it's just creating a new problem.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I don't get why everyone thinks we should totally ban it. If you don't want a part in it, there are two simple solutions:

1. Disable rep for yourself.
    2. Ignore the threads that talk about it. -.-

Just because some people don't like the system doesn't mean we should all get sucked into the decision. The abuse is bad, but some people are willing to keep their rep points anyway.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't get why everyone thinks we should totally ban it. If you don't want a part in it, there are two simple solutions:

1. Disable rep for yourself.
    2. Ignore the threads that talk about it. -.-

Just because some people don't like the system doesn't mean we should all get sucked into the decision.

You are right, any of you could get rid of it for themselves by just disabling it. Why do you want the whole system to do down?

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The problem with problems is that there will always be a problem on any forum. There is no such thing as a perfect board without problems. The problem right now is rep abuse. We can turn it off, but that will cause the problem of some other people speaking against that. We can restrict groups, and that will cause of course some of them to speak against, but it will give some benefit to others that don't deserve those people's spam. We can also strengthen rules, but no matter where, there will always be a rule breaker out there.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Actually this thread had nothing to do with rep abuse, it was actually saying that I liked the reputation system.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back