• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Liechi Berry could be used on Gatr; and just use 52 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 200 Speed, it outruns Adamant Honchkrow, also makes its HP stat divisible by four (Sub). Or if you want to speed tie with other Gatr then use a standard 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed, 8 HP doesn't give a "Sub number." And don't use Focus Sash unless you're for sure that no one will use any entry hazards.

Banette is ok I guess, I think something faster could be better though (preferably with Taunt...to deal with Taunt users).

Years
    Rate My Weavile

This is my first go around at EV training a pokemon and im wondering if i did a good or a bad job so criticism would be much appreciated.

Weavile Lv.100 female
    jolly nature shiny
    hp282/a339/d162/sa99/sd198/s383
    ability:pressure
    sword dance, night slash, ice punch, low kick
    ev:hp6,A:252,S:252
    IV's:31/31/27/15/23/31

obviously with me being new to this its raising was a little influenced by what websites said, but i can shut off my game without saving to scrap it and start again.
    also after i maxed its EV's i used rare candies to get it to 100 (i read it doesnt effect its stats after the ev's are distributed.)

please let me know

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    This should go in the SQSA sticky...

but uh, weavile is a pretty bad pokemon in and of itself. you really want Ice Shard instead of Ice Punch for stuff like Choice Scarf Flygon and even the rarer Choice Scarf Salamence.

Other than that its pretty standard Weavile, its SDef IV is a little low which is kinda bad since thats its only relatively good defensive stat.

Years
    I'll add to Wolflare's rate. Bannette generally doesn't make an effective user of disable (not many pokemon do) as its defenses are not strong enough to endure the hits especially with no form of recovery. In fact bannette isn't really usable on many teams other than trick room where it makes a good lead though you could try a support set like the following:

Banette (Leftovers)
    jolly nature
    Insomnia
    252 atk, 236 spe, 20hp
    -Sucker punch
    -Pusuit
    -Pain split
    -Will O Wisp

*Note the evs and nature are for OU as your doing a mix tier tourney and that Rotom forms and Dusknoir are a much better option. The Speed it to out speed 0 speed Mismagius to trap it whilst attack is for damage with the rest in hp. The two attacking options are quite standard whilst pain split provides recovery (not the best but the best it has)

You could also use an anti lead:

Banette (focus sash)
    jolly nature
    Insomnia
    252 atk
    252 spe
    4hp
    -Sucker punch
    -Pursuit
    -Taunt
    -Will O Wisp

Or a trick lead:

Banette (Choice scarf)
    jolly nature
    Insomnia
    252 atk
    252 spe
    4hp
    -Sucker punch
    -Pursuit
    -Trick
    -Thunderbolt

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    alright so I decided to get into competitive battling and the whole EV thing i currently have
    Medicham w/suggestion
    Adamant
    A/252 Spe.252 Hp 4
    I have no idea what moveset I should use I figure if I use one of Smogon's sets then everyone would know exactly how to beat it anyway current set is
    Force Palm
    Zen Headbut
    Meditate
    Psych up

I also have Haunter that I kinda screwed up by giving it Sp.D EVs and Sp.A EVs (its modest by the way) I can't find any Haunter/Gengar (plan to evolve it soon) that uses those EVs did I completely ruin it or is it salvageable I do however have a timid Gastly should I just throw this haunter away and start fresh with Gastly?

also which set should I use for a
    Aggron
    Adamant
    A. 252 Spe. 252

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    Ok everyone watch out... its my new awesome lead
    GENGAR
    252 sp att ev's 252 speed
    nature timid
    focus sash

Counter
    shadow ball
    destiny bond
    taunt

I can't decide whether i should breed another with naive and give it explosion instead of destiny bond.

give me some ideas plz

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    is this a good pidgeot

mirror move
    roost
    fly (or sky attack)
    heat wave

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    is this a good pidgeot

mirror move
    roost
    fly (or sky attack)
    heat wave

Fearow does what pidgeot does better
    Either go for the powerherb sky attack or the bravebird- fly is horrible
    i would put hp ground over mirror move if your going NU, mirror move is just way to gimmicky for my tastes
    if you want to mirror move abuse do it in game.

Last edited:

Humph...

Ice-Dragon DESTROYER
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Rate my Porygon-Z

I have a Porygon-Z with

Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic

I would like to give it the choice lens, and i don't know if I should replace one of the attacks with Trick.

And also, is Outrage a good attack for a Salamence(mine already has it).

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    ...I guess my post was deleted when this was moved or something. >_>

Tri Attack should be used instead of Psychic, Psychic doesn't provide any additional coverage and Tri Attack gives PZ a STAB move. Dark Pulse would be more useful than Shadow Ball imo, with its flinch chance.

Outrage is used for almost all Mence movesets, so yeah it's good.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    can someone rate my move set?
    gengar
    focus sash
    naive
    252 speed 252 sp att
    moveset
    shadowball/taunt
    suckerpunch/ taunt
    counter (fr move tutor)
    destiny bond

Years
    Ok, I'm not sure what position this gengars for so i presume lead as it has a sash-

there are multiple lead sets you could run (ill pot a few) first is the quite standard one-

gengar
    focus sash
    naive
    252 speed, 252 sp att, 4 hp
    moveset
    shadowball/taunt
    Thunderbolt/ taunt
    Focus blast
    Explosion/ hp fire/ destiny bond

Your best off with a special set to abuse gengar's great special attack though explosion is chosen over destiny bond as its more reliable. To hit harder you could run life orb though focus sash allows you to be a more reliable taunter. Hp fire can be chosen in the last slot for coverage and the focus blast/ shadow ball/ thunderbolt are pretty standard.

Though jirachi is a better trick scarf lead gengar can also run the set effectively-

gengar
    Choice scarf
    Timid
    252 speed 252 sp att
    moveset
    shadowball
    Tunderbolt
    Focus blast
    Trick

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I have no idea what moveset I should use I figure if I use one of Smogon's sets then everyone would know exactly how to beat it anyway current set is

That is totally incorrect. If you use it well then it will win you battles regardless. Dont resort to gimmicky garbage just to be "original" and then end up losing because you go out of your way and focus on said gimmicky-ness rather than competitive viability (see : serebii) lol

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    alright I have a really stupid question I see on some sights that the max EVs in one stat is 255 and on others its 252 so which is it? and can someone explain why some say the other # I have EV trained using the 252 252 4 thing and I have gotten the effort ribbon but I am still confused so thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and thanks again to anyone who answers it

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    alright I have a really stupid question I see on some sights that the max EVs in one stat is 255 and on others its 252 so which is it? and can someone explain why some say the other # I have EV trained using the 252 252 4 thing and I have gotten the effort ribbon but I am still confused so thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and thanks again to anyone who answers it
    255 is the max amount of EVs in a stat you can give a Pokemon, but the 3 EVs don't add anymore to the stat total (because the EVs should be divisible by four, since 1 stat point = 4 EVs). So, it leaves 6 EVs to place in another stat, most list it as 4 though, as 2 EVs don't do anything.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years

if every 4 evs is a stat point it's logical that having 255 (not a multiple of 4) in a stat doesn't give you a stat point beyond what having 252 would.

252 however will give you the max in a stat with some evs left over
    252 252 6 is actually the number but as 6 is not a multiple of 4 it won't give you another stat point
    which is where the classic 252 252 4 spread comes from

the reason you got the effort ribbon is that your pokemon has the max of that stat that it can ever have.
    oh yeah shiny meganium

ive seen lead gengars from smogon before that NOT what i want here, i want someone to evaluate a novelty set

lead novelty gengar
    Focus sash
    naive
    252 sp. att 252 speed 4 att

sucker punch/taunt
    shadow ball/taunt
    counter
    explosion/destiny bond (i really can't decide)
    EDIT: If you don't see what I'm doing here I'll give you a scenario against an azelf

Azelf used stealth rock/taunt
    gengar used shadow ball (hits it down to sash)
    now i could suckerpunch but it would be unsafe as azelf could be trying to use stealth rock
    Azelf used Fire blast (hits me down to sash)
    gengar uses shadow ball (kills azelf)
    opponent brings in revenge killer
    Gengar uses explosion/destiny bond
    hopefully takes down the revenge killer, if not, no sweat as its 5/5 now and i have the offensive

as you can see this set takes a quite alot of prediction but it will almost always take a pokemon down with it, I'm hoping 2. Someone rate who knows the OU leads and what this will lose against.

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Nick of Time, you better not have Sucker Punch there as Gengar's attack stat is poor (Explosion works fine on Gengar as Explosion has a BP of 250). Also, Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball have reluctant coverage. As you're not using Sucker Punch, use a Timid nature.

Back