• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    What's the Tyraniboah set? What is it for and what Pokemon support it good on a team?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    What's the Tyraniboah set? What is it for and what Pokemon support it good on a team?

Tyranitar@Leftovers
    252 HP / 52 Atk / 176 SpA / 28 Spe
    Quiet / Brave Nature
    - Crunch
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Original boah, it was made in adv to counter the stall there. Now it doesnt really do much because it really doesnt beat stall very well and is Toxic Spikes/everything faster bait.

Smogon on Boah said:
    With Flamethrower or Ice Beam in the last slot, you will find yourself being countered easily by bulky Water-types, Suicune in particular, as it can set up Calm Minds easily against Tyranitar. For this reason, a Vaporeon with Toxic or Hidden Power Electric will be very helpful to counter Suicune, as well as the likes of Gyarados and enemy Vaporeon. Celebi, resisting Water-type attacks, also works very well, as does Roserade. Roserade's Toxic Spikes are incredibly helpful in stalling out Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Vaporeon, and others who you couldn't normally. Without Ice Beam, Hippowdon and Gliscor counter this set easily, so a Water-type of your own can force them out. Starmie gets particular mention as it can Rapid Spin their Stealth Rock, as well as use Grass Knot to swiftly dispatch of Swampert.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
    48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Speed
    Naive Nature
    - Dark Pulse / Crunch
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Superpower

MixTar is much better since this actually outspeeds and beats most walls and is at least a threat now that is faster and doesnt kill itself with sub.

Smogon on Mixtar said:
    This Tyranitar's job is to open huge holes in the opponents defensive core so other Pokemon can finish off the foe. Swords Dance Lucario is a great partner to this Tyranitar, sharing many of its counters, most of which Tyranitar can defeat. If however, Tyranitar does not have Thunderbolt, it would be wise to give Lucario Stone Edge to overcome Gyarados. Scizor is another Swords Dancer who would love certain Pokemon out of the way, namely Skarmory and Rotom-A, both of which Tyranitar handles very well. You can give Tyranitar Thunderbolt for Gyarados as well. There remains a couple of Pokemon who Tyranitar still cannot hope of beating, those would be Machamp, Suicune if you lack Thunderbolt, and the seldom seen Hariyama. Celebi is a great counter to all of these Pokemon, resisting both Water-type and Fighting-type attacks. Thanks to Recover, Celebi can stay healthy even a sandstorm. Zapdos and Rotom-A can also work well; Zapdos has more power for defeating Suicune, while Rotom-A is more equipped against the aforementioned Fighting-types due to Will-O-Wisp.

There is also bait tar where you swap the att and s.att evs and put Pursuit >>> Ice Beam to trap stuff.

Smogon on Bait Tar said:
    Like most of Tyranitar's sets, this one is walled by bulky Ground- and Fighting-type Pokemon like Swampert, Hippowdon, and Machamp. A Celebi or Latias of your own can easily switch into Ground- and Fighting-type attacks aimed at Tyranitar, and can also help against bulky Waters like Vaporeon and Suicune. Both Paralysis and Burn will make Tyranitar almost useless, so packing a cleric may be a good idea, especially if you plan on switching Tyranitar into common status inducers like Blissey and Cresselia. Against non-choiced Rotom-A, it is recommended to Crunch first turn to ensure that a Will-O-Wisp won't make Tyranitar useless (Tyranitar is faster than standard defensive Rotom-A with the given EVs). In terms of offensive teammates, Latias and Gengar are both good choices. Some teams don't carry dedicated counters for them and instead rely on Choice Band Scizor or Choice Scarf Rotom-A as checks. By luring and eliminating their checks, Tyranitar can help them sweep. Gyarados is also a good partner, since Tyranitar can Pursuit Rotom-A and Celebi while Gyarados easily sets up on Hippowdon and Swampert (especially if it carries Taunt).

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Since DA suggested battling GSC... What are some good leads? Would it be a good idea to go for a more offense-based team or to stall?

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    I've got a Bellossom with a Sunny Day moveset and I'm torn between what to use for the fourth slot. So far I've got

Sunny Day
    SolarBeam
    Moonlight
    _________

I'm torn between Toxic or Sludge Bomb. Which would be the better choice?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I've got a Bellossom with a Sunny Day moveset and I'm torn between what to use for the fourth slot. So far I've got

Sunny Day
    SolarBeam
    Moonlight
    _________

I'm torn between Toxic or Sludge Bomb. Which would be the better choice?
    Sludge Bomb is awful on anything that doesn't gain STAB from it because of the poor coverage it provides, so Toxic is a better choice. But, I recommend using Hidden Power Fire (if you can get it) in the last slot as it hits Bug, Grass, and Steel super effectively, and also is neutral versus Flying and Poison. (Plus its power is raised when the Sunny Day is set up) So, in general it is one the best types to pair with Grass offensively.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Since DA suggested battling GSC... What are some good leads? Would it be a good idea to go for a more offense-based team or to stall?

Stall dominates GSC so you could try that since its pretty easy to use or there is Borats offensive team.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
    - Double-Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Lovely Kiss
    - Selfdestruct

Marowak (M) @ Thick Club
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Raikou @ Leftovers
    - Crunch
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunder

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Rock Slide

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    - Crunch
    - Dynamicpunch
    - Rock Slide
    - Surf

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    - Dynamicpunch
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder

Basically alot of hard to wall sweepers which wear on the same counters. In this case he tries to target Skarmory via wearing it/luring it with Machamp and Snorlax and Marowak, he Spikes proof's his team as they cannot switch in vs like anything (Cloyster and Forry) lol.

Still stall is hard to handle and is definitely the more consistent play style.

Remember if you are using stall dont make it terrible and actually have synergy and a way to actually do damage or you will get overwhelmed. Aggressive stall is definitely the better play style, i.e with stuff like drum lax.

Just be sure you can handle these ;

Perish trapping (special attention to Thundermissy)
    All forms of non-drum Snorlax (there's no guaranteed answer to Lovely Kiss Drumlax apart from revenge really. Non LK/ Fire Blast drumlax is walled by Curse Skarm, if it has Fire Blast (which means it has no EQ) Tar + Missy do well and so does D-Punch Gar).
    Mixsweepers (Cune + Kou generally wall them all)
    Joltwak
    Tentacruel
    Charizard
    Cursegon2 and curse anything tbh
    Spikers (deadly with a ghost type)
    Growtheons

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=203220 <--most of the other stuff is in here. (Though celebi really isnt uber, it sucks ass so much lol)

Guides

https://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51778

https://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65122

https://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22533

Good leads are stuff that can put junk to sleep, set up spikes, baton pass something, you know something that actually DOES something to help your teams goal.

Lemme know if you have any more questions.

EDIT :

https://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45130&highlight=celia an example stall team, though this is REALLY MixKing, BD Lax etc weak.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Hi! I'm having some trouble with my Tyranitar. his current moveset is this:
    (he is my main latias counter)

Nature: adamant
    item:leftovers
    EV: 252Hp / 52 attack / 28speed / 176 sp def
    Moves:
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Taunt (this move is really useful on my team)
    - Stone edge

Help me with the moveset, the EV spread and nature!
    (my team: Swampert; blissey; Dusknoir; Zapdos; Heatran; Tyranitar)

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Sludge Bomb is awful on anything that doesn't gain STAB from it because of the poor coverage it provides, so Toxic is a better choice. But, I recommend using Hidden Power Fire (if you can get it) in the last slot as it hits Bug, Grass, and Steel super effectively, and also is neutral versus Flying and Poison. (Plus its power is raised when the Sunny Day is set up) So, in general it is one the best types to pair with Grass offensively.

Her Hidden Power is ground, would that still be good or is toxic the better idea?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! I'm having some trouble with my Tyranitar. his current moveset is this:
    (he is my main latias counter)

Nature: adamant
    item:leftovers
    EV: 252Hp / 52 attack / 28speed / 176 sp def
    Moves:
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Taunt (this move is really useful on my team)
    - Stone edge

No, that ev spread is awful. If you want it to be a "Latias counter" dont use DD Tar, use S.Def tar or CB Tar or something. DD + no speed is retarded.

Speaking of Latias you arent even Latias weak with blissey. :/

Taunt is useless tbh since it smashes most things that status/phaze it.

Fire Punch >> Taunt @ babiri berry so you arent scizor bait.

Max Speed + Max att @ jolly to outspeed Starmie, Azelf and Raikou after a DD.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Her Hidden Power is ground, would that still be good or is toxic the better idea?
    Actually, Ground is the another good type to pair with Grass, it just isn't boosted by the sun. And to be honest, more coverage would be better since Grass is resisted by a lot of types.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    But can't one use an anti-stall tactic to win in the GSC metagame?

There truly is no anti stall tactic in GSC, actually there is (if you learned how to read the guides) which would be to lure, wear on the same counter etc still stall is more than likely going to dominate you if you cant outplay them. There is no "lol LO imma overpower you" you need SKILL to win in GSC.

LilacLust

Gone.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah, Even with decent sweepers like snorlax it turns into a stall match, usually due to a skarmory ;)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well since the only entry hazard the existed than was Spikes, Flyings can break that.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Well since the only entry hazard the existed than was Spikes, Flyings can break that.

Ummm, no ?

The only flying types who are even good in GSC are Zapdos, Dragonite, Jumpluff and Charizard.

Zard, Nite are crapped all over by Suicune which is on every stall team.

Zapdos loses to Raikou which is on every GSC stall team too.

Jumpluff sucks and loses to all of the aforementioned with Roar.

Please get netbattle and play before making such blunt assumptions.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    ok i need a moveset for. Smeargle heres what i got so far

Item: none
    EV: Speed, HP
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves: Darkvoid.

Thats all i have three more moves would be nice. i dont really want a baton pass or a one hit.

Spore > Dark Void, its 100% accurate.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
    4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    Own Tempo
    - Spore
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt

But anyway this is Smeargles most useful set. Use it as a lead and Spore, stack up Spikes, Taunting stuff like Ninjasks and Sleep Talkers and set up attempts along the way, pretty simple stuff.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • ok i need a moveset for. Smeargle heres what i got so far

Item: none
    EV: Speed, HP
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves: Darkvoid.

Thats all i have three more moves would be nice. i dont really want a baton pass or a one hit.

firstly, OHKO moves are banned. unless your using that smeargle in double battles, your gonna scrap dark void, spore is the move you want. all smeargle does is baton pass, unless you wanna forgo an attacking set. i know im going to get raided for even mentioning this D:

spore
    belly drum
    extreme speed
    crunch

most steels in OU are part psychic, so crunch is neutral. im sure a +6 STAB extreme speed is bound to KO something that isn't naturally bulky

just go with gyara/salamence/scizor if you wanna sweep things.

Back