• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request an Individual Move Set Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
Years
  • Yep, Garchomp has been moved up to the Uber tier, but the problem with your second part is there is no proper replacement.

Salamence is the best Dragon counterpart, where as with his resistances and Sand Veil, LO SD Gliscor could also sorta fill the slot.

Unfortunately both have tried and true counters, where as Garchomp just did not, hence the reason it moved to Ubers.

At least with Platinum Salamance gets Outrage as well.

Sexycheese

Bye :)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Yep, Garchomp has been moved up to the Uber tier, but the problem with your second part is there is no proper replacement.

Salamence is the best Dragon counterpart, where as with his resistances and Sand Veil, LO SD Gliscor could also sorta fill the slot.

Unfortunately both have tried and true counters, where as Garchomp just did not, hence the reason it moved to Ubers.

At least with Platinum Salamance gets Outrage as well.

Hmm....Ok thanks I will consider that. I have a mixmence set at the moment....May breed him :)

ChibiVamp

>>RETRO GAMER<<
    Years
  • i wanna make a good team with charizard as my main special sweeper. the set up i had in mind is
    leftovers
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance
    >Fire-type attack<
    >???<

any suggestions?
    the team has to use pokemon and moves available in leaf green without having to trade as i dont think im going to be getting a DS any time soon.

Years
  • Hi I know this may seem like a dumb quewstion but I just heard I cant use my garchomp in OU anymore. Is this true? and if it is can anyone suggest an alternative. Thanks :)

Adding to Angelic Diablo's post... Flygon has the same typing as Garchomp as well.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • Adding to Angelic Diablo's post... Flygon has the same typing as Garchomp as well.
    In reverse, yes (it doesn't matter anything battlewise thought). Flygon should be really getting more attention after Garchomp beeing moves to Ubers.
    ChibiVamp said:
    i wanna make a good team with charizard as my main special sweeper. the set up i had in mind is
    leftovers
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance
    >Fire-type attack<
    >???<

any suggestions?
    the team has to use pokemon and moves available in leaf green without having to trade as i dont think im going to be getting a DS any time soon.
    Special?
    ~Air Slash
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Flamethrower

Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Charizard doesn't learn any of those moves besides Flamethrower.

- Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Punch
    - HP Ice/Grass

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    A) Improve your grammar please.
    B) If there was a single best lead, we'd all be using him. All leads do different things, kill different things and get killed by different things. There is no single best poke at the job.

Sphere

Mystic Crystal
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2008
    yes as i said,aint blind.
    i was wonderin,who is the best starter for competetive battlin and what moveset should be used

Let's take a look at tiers, shall we? Out of the 12 starters, only two are OU: Infernape and Swampert. Infernape is an excellent sweeper and/or lead, while Swampert is an excellent wall. Most people, however, will tell you that Infernape is more useful overall due to his unpredictability and well-balanced offensive stats.

Fake Out/Mach Punch/Fire Blast/Taunt with Focus Sash and Naive nature works for Leadape. Fake Out ruins the Focus Sashes of other common leads like Weavile and Azelf. Mach Punch obliterates Weavile once Focus Sash is gone, and does a good deal to Tyranitar. Fire Blast kills Bronzong and cripples Gengar. Taunt blocks Stealth Rock and/or Hypnosis, but you can use an alternative attacking move like Grass Knot or Close Combat if necessary.

MixApe is probably you best bet in terms of sweeping. Life Orb Naive with Nasty Plot/Grass Knot/Flamethrower/Close Combat owns common stuff like Swampert. Hidden Power [Ice] is an option over Grass Knot if you want to hit Dragons. Fire Blast is an option over Flamethrower to hit spongy Pokemon like Togekiss harder.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    Alright I'm having problems determing the best layout for a scizor for Pt.

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Technician; Adamant
    252 Atk,
    Bullet Punch
    Swords Dance

That's about as far as I got. If I added roost and quick attack (252 EV Hp) that would give it the ability to practically sweep every single pokemon on a team OHKO-2HKO that doesn't resist both steel and normal attacks. Namely These do resist my attacks: Lucario, Brozong, Skarmory, Empoleon, Registeel, Forretress, Heatran, Jirachi, magnazone, Metagross, Skarmory and Scizor (lucario I think I could 2HKO as well because of low defences, also Forretress, Skarmory, and Bronzong can't really do much to me except whirlwind me away, put me to sleep or use that as a chance to set up so I could further my attack power with swords dances at that point and actually counter them). If I chose Superpower/Brickbreak over quick attack (252 EV speed or around that would be needed) I could counter those pokemon, but then bulky waters could come in on me and attack me before I could KO them because I would be slower (most likely). X-Scissors (252 EV sp again) I don't see really being any more effective than brickbreak/superpower in pokemon coverage. I did consider using Superpower/BrickBreak, Bullet Punch and Quick attack, Swords Dance all in one. That would allow me to hit everything for neutral damage, but I severely lose out on surviability as swords dance would be very hard to activate.

I also thought of choice band scizors, but I don't think it's nearly as threating as the Dance-Orb kind.

I'm leaning towards the Quick attack, Roost (252 EV Hp) idea because then my counters are at least narrowed to practically only steel types and I could easily come up with a combo pokemon that could easily come into those steel types set up and be threating like Scizor. So I'm asking for some help on deciding.

Last edited:

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    BP is an option. As for the last slot, Night Slash or Superpower could fit in nicely.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today

Scizor@Life Orb
    232 HP / 252 ATT / 24 DEF
    Adamant Nature
    Trait : Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost / Brick Break
    - X-Scissor

Plox =). (IIrc an unboosted Bullet Punch does like 40% to Infernape lol !). Bullet Punch is better anyway imo as you can actually hit Gengar. Brick Break hits steels as you said and hits all of them for at least neutral along with X-Scissor. Speaking of X-Scissor, you NEED it or your stuck with non-powerful moves aka what are you gonna do to cress and Zong ?. Roost is still pretty useful for recovering off LO Recoil and scizor can take a hit anyway. Quick attack still has a time and a place but i find it inferior to BP in all honesty.

So its up to you tbh.

However i found CB Scizor to be WAY more threatening since it doesnt suffer from moveslot syndrome.

Scizor@Choice Band
    252 ATT / 252 SPEED / 6 HP
    Adamant Nature
    Trait : Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Super Power
    - Pursuit

The power this packs is scary. It basically locks you opponent in deadly mind games aka "Will i Bullet Punch, if you stay in or will i Pursuit if you switch ?" *Looks at Gengar*. Super Power strokes pretty much ANY steel stupid enough to come in. U-Turn is great for scouting and gets STAB, along with a CB its really nasty. Pursuit is a great move too since its nearly as powerful as Tyranitars CB Pursuit thanks to Technician.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back