• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Roleplayers Daily Chit-Chat Thread (◕‿◕✿)

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Legit, Bidoof is one of those early-game Pokemon that got hardcore screwed over. There's always that one good pre-game Pokemon and that one that's objectively not good, like Purrloin compared to Lillipup or, I'd even say, Patrat. Levels up late, early moves are unnecessarily mediocre, etc.

Ugh, I want to join a Pokemon journey RP but I'm not big on any of the ones still accepting right now.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • Ugh, I want to join a Pokemon journey RP but I'm not big on any of the ones still accepting right now.

Help me tie up the loose ends on my "Colonial America's The People's Temple Politically Overturn Hawaii For False God: The Journey" idea, and I could possibly make it a role-play if I work out the game mechanics well enough so that it doesn't end up as an imposed fanfiction. Possibly.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Help me tie up the loose ends on my "Colonial America's The People's Temple Politically Overturn Hawaii For False God: The Journey" idea, and I could possibly make it a role-play if I work out the game mechanics well enough so that it doesn't end up as an imposed fanfiction. Possibly.

You keep telling me this, Jauntier. I thought it was the suicide pact RP you were having trouble mechanic-wise with.

It's a journey RP with political elements where the characters' priority is defeating the antagonists, right?

Jauntier

Years
  • You keep telling me this, Jauntier. I thought it was the suicide pact RP you were having trouble mechanic-wise with.

It's a journey RP with political elements where the characters' priority is defeating the antagonists, right?

I'm having trouble with both. For the same fear of a rightful story-forced-rp.

Yeah, it's a journey rp with story elements of a different wrapping, is all.

Etherion

i had a hard time which region too pic for my Meta Journey XD
    i ended up picking Unova because Snivy is one of my fave starters

thb, someone should start a Digimon RP, like that Invasion one a few back, i'd join that one in a heartbeat even though I dont know much about it :3

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Hey, Jaunt, why don't you ask the chatterbox for advice on your RP idea, you nerd

rofl Serebii had like three Digimon RPs at a time. I myself am a Digi-novice. I tried playing the GBA one and Digimon Dawn/Dusk but quickly abandoned all of the. How a Digimon roleplay would work, I'd have no idea; I just really don't "get" the franchise.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I LOVE digimon. But he RPs have always died early on because they start sooo slowly... Hm.

Jauntier

Years
  • Hey, Jaunt, why don't you ask the chatterbox for advice on your RP idea, you nerd

rofl Serebii had like three Digimon RPs at a time. I myself am a Digi-novice. I tried playing the GBA one and Digimon Dawn/Dusk but quickly abandoned all of the. How a Digimon roleplay would work, I'd have no idea; I just really don't "get" the franchise.

I should. I'll do that when I care to. Loser.

Basically, back in 1999 when owning a digital pet on a small pager-sized toy that only had three buttons on it was popular, Bandai made a tv show out of it. In the show, Japanese kids got zapped into a self-constructing internet server to fight a firewall/free radicals/black gears/whatever other seasons complained about, with their digital pet, before the digital world gets destroyed or damaged in a way where actual worm holes from the world appear in the real world and suck the humans in, or upset the balance between two other dimensions that sandwhich the Digi World, one that allows dreams to become reality and another that is just a dark place, blah blah blah, the digital world is important or else the real world gets horribly maimed.

Years
  • I LOVE digimon. But he RPs have always died early on because they start sooo slowly... Hm.

A Digimon RP would be really cool, but I have found that to be a problem with both digimon and pokemon roleplays. When going with a typical journey, you are looking at starting with a single weak pokemon, and things take a while to really get the ball rolling. I know there are ways to circumvent that, but at that point it might not be a strict journey roleplay in the same sense.

I think that fixing RPs and how many die so quickly might be something we want to address here. It seems like half of the people that sign up for a roleplay lose interest or cant find the time to post by the time the IC pops up, and many others make a few posts and then fade out. I know a couple of my RPs have been like this. Anybody got any ideas on good ways to fix this or at least slightly improve the problem?

Also, thanks for reminding me to pick up the new digimon game on my Vita! :D

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
  • Now I know I'm still a green-poster, but to address the issue Mr. STARDU5T is talking about with people losing interest or fading out: that's unfortunately human nature. Something can look real cool for a while, but then you move on to something else You might come back to the last thing later, but you might completely lose interest in it for a long stretch of time.

Now, I know I've roughly the equivalent mileage of a wet colt when it comes to seniority here, but from what I've observed in my little time of combing the threads here (I'd do it more often, but I like combing the Round Table section of the forum an awful lot, too) it seems that the OOC tends to exhibit tell-tale signs of degradation a short time before the IC sees post reduction. What I mean is that eventually it trickles down to the OOC being used mainly for post alerts and then more and more for notifications on incoming late posts until those posts just stop coming. Now, I ain't no psychologist, sociologist, or personologist (that last one wouldn't matter too much anyway), but I think what happens--especially when the players don't interact frequently--is that the player becomes disconnected from their character as their attention is drawn toward newer RPs or just other pursuits outside the forum because their character becomes more and more reactive while the thread becomes less and less active. Pre-planning can dispel some of the magic of certain things, but discussion of possible milestones to be reached doesn't constitute pre-planning, it only keeps the players thinking about their character's futures, which gets them more invested, and makes them feel more connected.

I suppose there's probably no surefire way to keep an RP alive, but I think the best way to improve your chances in to encourage the players to talk about what they might be looking forward to in the OOC, or to talk about goals for their characters (goals that might never be reached, but goals nonetheless), and to continue to do so even after they've made their post in the IC so that they remain invested in the world. When no one talks about that stuff, the RP loses a lot of its shine and it becomes more and more evident that it's just a collaborative forum variant of Simon Says in mission-based, or a cheap text version of modded Minecraft in sandbox ones. When one of us reads the OP for a new RP, we're taken with the world the GM sets up because we think of all the possibilities we can pursue there. Once the RP picks up, the GM and the players both have to make sure that magic doesn't fade and that everyone remembers those possibilities they saw when they first signed up.

Buuuut, I probably don't know pudding from primordium, so I could be way out of sorts there.
    Also, Mr. Michelaar, for one of the more-qualified persons to give you a specific RP that's accepting, perchance you could share some of what you like? Looking for something strictly Pokemon or something different? You like journey-type deals or closed-sorts ones that have a small environment and a lot of missions?

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Basically... the digital world is important or else the real world gets horribly maimed.

Based on that, Digimon's plot actually sounds more legit than Pokemon's usual scenario. There's a better incentive for a little kid to want to save the world; it's not you get kicked out at 10 to become a professional wild animal-handler and coincidentally stumble upon some bad guys that you get dragged into defeating.

Maybe I'll try to get back into Digimon again.

When going with a typical journey, you are looking at starting with a single weak pokemon, and things take a while to really get the ball rolling.

To be fair, a lot of journey RPs I've seen on this forum in-particular allow starters to be pretty powerful, especially in terms of movepools; they aren't typically limited to 4 moves and people take full advantage when given the choice to give stronger moves to their starters.

I may be quite new here, but I'm very good in roleplay, I swear :)
    Any suggestions for what to join?

My best suggestion is to not join a roleplay just to join it. If you don't like what you see yet, wait until something more your style rolls around rather than obligate yourself to something you're not even that interested in.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I may be quite new here, but I'm very good in roleplay, I swear :)
    Any suggestions for what to join?

Along the lines of what Disclosed and Orx said, be sure to join RPs that you are truly interested in. Don't join something just to join. I know I did that on a couple occasions and it made the RP less enjoyable and I most likely ended taking a spot from someone who would've enjoyed it more.

I've learned my lesson and am now only joining RPs I know I will be invested in, not ones that look cool but I have no real connection to and I feel the hype much more now when I post or read others' posts.

Thats the best I can say. I hope you find a couple RPs you really like! Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I honestly don't have much to add; your replies are fantastic, guys. I feel eager to head to my OOC threads and post plans now (8

Nero

I like it.
    Years
  • Bleh, Trumpets is progressing really slowly, and I'm pretty sure it's going to die out at the rate it's going. I don't see anything I want to join that's looking for members, either. So… who here is a fan of the Fire Emblem series? I'm kinda thinking about starting a FE RP, but I don't know if enough people here would be interested. I'd have to take some time to get my head around how it would work, but I saw an interesting Fire Emblem steampunk RP that went really well back in the day, and I think I could pull one off.

Back