• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Roleplayers Daily Chit-Chat Thread (◕‿◕✿)

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Alternatively, just kiss. We'll be happy with that, too.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
I must say it is truly disheartening ... I did not realize just how pervasive dying RPs were when I made my earlier comment, I had assumed them on the same level as nasty horrible accidents you see in the news: quite dreadful, but it didn't happen in my purview. Alas, 'tis not the case, it would seem. The problem is much more akin to a dietary issue: most of us have one of some degree but we never really take note of it until we have a hard time seeing our toes.

It is only that I've quite the minor contribution here. I mean, sure I douched off in the Playground a little and tossed in my two cents on a handful of Round Table threads and originally came to PC at all to move my fanon lore to a more receptive area, but the fact remains I've all the presence of a new blade of grass in an overgrown lawn. I wouldn't even be a part of this neck of the woods if I hadn't been invited in person, a gesture that was wholly unexpected and that I am still indebted to, to be sure.

Of course, that all got me looking at the other RP threads to size up the area and only now am I seeing the worrisome rate of turnover. I'm sure I've not the slightest about how it is to be fixed, but it certainly raises an interesting point to discuss.

Why do you role-play? Sure it's fun, but there are plenty of fun things that don't demand as much time or commitment, so why such a peculiar choice? Do you like the writing exercise? Or is it just your preferred manner of socialization?

I ask not only to cover my own insecurities (it would be nice to see if I'm the only one thinking how I do), but to try and address the death of RPs in general. If we can come to a consensus on what people are looking for, it will be easier for us to provide them it.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I don't think it's worth the concern. RPs die all the time for all the same reasons:

1) A GM heavily procrastinates or goes missing from their own role-play, and the herd scatters from disinterest and indirection.

2) The role-play heads into parts of the year where IRL matters take precedence (back to school, exam weeks, summer vacation) and many members stave off the internet for a while.

3) The role-play itself just isn't appealing for any number of reasons (usually it is under-/over-developed, the plot itself is too niche or listlessly free, or the GM isn't coming off as very... "player-accessible" in their post. We all know the ones, like the type who writes in bossy "jokes" for the rules and the like).

I role-play because I like the idea of a story as written by several people, and reading it unfold in unique ways that I may not have been able to come up with if I took to writing one of my own. I like to contribute to stories that interest me.

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
So I thought I should drop by and say Hi and introductions, since I kinda just jumped in here with a brand new account.

Hey, I'm Pastel/Phoenix/Corbin/That One Guy Who Just Joined/Maybe If We Ignore Him He'll Get Bored And Go Away. By day I'm your average IT nerd (videogames, internet, D&D, the likes). And by night I'm an even bigger nerd that likes to roleplay online and will suddenly get out of bed at 2 AM because he had a great idea for a forum avatar.

So... yeah. Just letting people know I exist.

Nero

I like it.
Years
As for the most recent question.. I roleplay because I want to?? Is that a thing? I'll make it a thing. It's a thing now.

I second that. I roleplay because I like to roleplay. Is a deeper meaning needed for that? I get the question and all, but it's really just a thing from a list of hobbies that I liked and chose to do.

Also, welcome to RPT, That One Guy Who Just Joined. I acknowledge your existence.

White Noise

A sound that's always heard, but never listened to
Years
I roleplay because I love the creativity of it. You can be whatever the heck you want in whichever sort of setting you desire, and you're not forced to take a back seat and observe some other character who was made by someone else, say, if you were reading a book. There's also the social aspect of it. You're not just some lonely person hunched over a keyboard forced to make all of the characters. There are people on the other side of every post, and they're all working together to make a story come alive.

Also, quick question. If you're searching for someone to collaborate with you and help develop your idea and manage the roleplay alongside you, would you make a "Help Request" thread? Or just ask around?

Last edited:

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
Well, I can't say I expected any other sort of answer because to be honest that's exactly how I would answer, myself. I'll have to mark some time for myself to observe this forum and others that RP and compare some things. I'll let you all know if I stumble upon something that looks like it might help the issue of dying RPs.

As for needing help managing an RP, that seems like something a Help Request thread could handle, unless you have some people you're close with here that you can ask directly, first. If none of your usual friend-os can oblige, then someone around here should show up to do so if they find the thread.

Also: welcome to Mr. PastelPhoenix! Happy to have you here!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
i hate how thread titles show up bold even when I've clicked on them sometimes

HEEEEY EVERYBODY, WHAT'S UP AND HAPPENING!?

Quick question to get the convo train rolling again: would you rather write Pokemon by themselves or Trainers with Pokemon?

Years
Um, excuse me, hey there~ So I'm relatively new to The PokéCommunity and one of the big things I wanted to do when I joined was RP. But I'm not sure exactly how to start going about that because I'm a little tiny bit shy. So I summoned up by confidence to come post here and maybe find my way in.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
You've come to the right place, Ms. NightsShade, these are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of talking to on a forum, I'm sure they'll be happy to help!
You took a looksie at the general rules, yes?

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
Well, believe it or not, Ms. NightsShade, I was once in your very position not a month ago! I was always more of a lurker, never able to whip up the gumption to participate, but the people here are just so friendly!
All you gotta do is find an RP what's casting and fill out an SU, I don't tend to see them get rejected very often unless the RP's full. Usually they just ask for a minor revision and then accept it afterwards. The trick is finding one to join, I'm afraid.
What sort of thing are you into? You like RPing as a Pokemon, a Trainer, or not even something to do with Pokemon at all? I'll see if I can't give a good suggestion.
And I know I'm not the most qualified to do it, but I am the one responding right now, so do bear with me.

Years
Well, believe it or not, Ms. NightsShade, I was once in your very position not a month ago! I was always more of a lurker, never able to whip up the gumption to participate, but the people here are just so friendly!
All you gotta do is find an RP what's casting and fill out an SU, I don't tend to see them get rejected very often unless the RP's full. Usually they just ask for a minor revision and then accept it afterwards. The trick is finding one to join, I'm afraid.
What sort of thing are you into? You like RPing as a Pokemon, a Trainer, or not even something to do with Pokemon at all? I'll see if I can't give a good suggestion.
And I know I'm not the most qualified to do it, but I am the one responding right now, so do bear with me.

Just Night is fine. I'm really down with just about anything. I don't have any time to do an in depth RP tonight because I only have a couple hours and I need to do some classwork I'm wanting to put off, but I wanted to get my foot in the door and just sort of say hi.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
Putting off work? Oy, I hear that, Ms. Night (I apologize if the "Ms" offends you, it in only my habit, I feel like I'm being disrespectful if I don't use it).
Well, you don't gotta join immediately, but if you get around to doing it sooner rather than later, there's a lot of Journey-Type RPs that a lot of people like that are usually in a good number. If'n you like RWBY, I happen to be acquainted with the GM for a RWBY RP right in this very forum with open slots!
Generally, if you're lookin for something, the casting threads are the ones to scour, most of the theater threads are usually for things that have already been filled.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Just Night is fine. I'm really down with just about anything. I don't have any time to do an in depth RP tonight because I only have a couple hours and I need to do some classwork I'm wanting to put off, but I wanted to get my foot in the door and just sort of say hi.

Also don't worry too much about not having enough time. RPs typically take several months, sometimes even a year to complete. So you can fill out an SU, wait to get accepted and then once you are in, take your time to write, it isn't a race of who can make the posts (: though don't take too long to post either or else we might think you've gone inactive or quit the RP (;

Years
Also don't worry too much about not having enough time. RPs typically take several months, sometimes even a year to complete. So you can fill out an SU, wait to get accepted and then once you are in, take your time to write, it isn't a race of who can make the posts (: though don't take too long to post either or else we might think you've gone inactive or quit the RP (;

Thank you. I'll definitely do that soon. Its just that I've been off and on all day for a couple minutes at a time so I really can't sit down and make a good character right now. I've been shiny chaining all day and I keep breaking it before I get the shiny. So annoying.

Back