• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
  • Well that was my biggest problem with XY. It's story and characters were lacking with depth. I would've personally would've loved Team Flare to be given more elbow room.The Admins don't have names at all and even at a certain point, the game itself laughed at how they all had the SAME EXACT MODELS. The Gym Leaders and Elite 4 were the weakest in the series, I can barely remember their names.

So that is something I DEFIE TLY want to stay away from, in my hack. Give all the characters some depth.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Does anyone think a "challenge map" hack would be popular? It would have a very simple story line (unless I find someone to help me with it) but it would be very difficult to complete the areas without finding secrets or excessive grinding. In each area you would have to make it to the gym leader and defeat them with limited recourses. It would be pretty easy if you find items like rare candies or potions throughout the area.
    I'm not sure if anyone made a hack similar to this yet and released it to the public.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Does anyone think a "challenge map" hack would be popular? It would have a very simple story line (unless I find someone to help me with it) but it would be very difficult to complete the areas without finding secrets or excessive grinding. In each area you would have to make it to the gym leader and defeat them with limited recourses. It would be pretty easy if you find items like rare candies or potions throughout the area.
    I'm not sure if anyone made a hack similar to this yet and released it to the public.

I did something similar to this for April Fools, a small hack where there were different "levels" with some puzzles and a boss fight in each one. It involved no grinding though, the battles were won either by luck or save states. :P

I think it's a pretty neat idea but I don't think such a hack would be very popular. It would make a good feature in a hack though, in my opinion. Perhaps instead of the Battle Tower/Frontier, after defeating the Champion. A tower having lots of challenging levels with puzzles and hard trainer battles would make a great post-game feature, especially if there would be rewards after finishing all levels, such as legendaries or rare items.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Does anyone here like trainers outside of gyms that ask you if you want to battle and are able to be rematched? Grinding is a pain in the ass and at least here you make some money and they have higher level pokemon

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Does anyone here like trainers outside of gyms that ask you if you want to battle and are able to be rematched? Grinding is a pain in the ass and at least here you make some money and they have higher level pokemon

Isn't that what the VS Seeker and PokéNav (or running around routes to get trainers to rematch you) for? Though I'd definitely prefer some kind of alternative such as Trainers asking you if you want to battle them again, it might be too much if you could rematch a Trainer consecutively. Maybe have some kind of timer before Trainers ask you to rematch them?

Unless you're not planning to make them like normal Trainers. It depends on how you actually do it, but it's a nice idea.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Isn't that what the VS Seeker and PokéNav (or running around routes to get trainers to rematch you) for? Though I'd definitely prefer some kind of alternative such as Trainers asking you if you want to battle them again, it might be too much if you could rematch a Trainer consecutively. Maybe have some kind of timer before Trainers ask you to rematch them?

Unless you're not planning to make them like normal Trainers. It depends on how you actually do it, but it's a nice idea.

Well, in my hack for a while the player is stuck in an island without surf for a while, so in case (s)he was having trouble with the gym there, I decided to make a little part of the map have houses and trainers:

w3Cch.jpg

It seems to be working, I asked a few friends irl if they thought it was a good idea and they told me to go for it (also, not to mention I made a Pokemon vendor ^_^)

Also, I had to resort to this due to no pokenav in my hack.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Well if it's only for just one island, you could have a Trainer that can rematch you. Or maybe a small "challenge" house with a few easy Trainers you have to beat in a row and get some kind of reward when you beat the leader. That should be enough to get the player to level up to the necessary level if you do it properly, or you could make it so the player can challenge all the Trainers in that house all the time.

On another note, if grinding is really that necessary for that gym, why not lower the gym's difficulty instead? I personally don't like grinding since I just like to play through hacks. I know there are a lot of people who enjoy that, so maybe you could have a separate "X" version (like rijonAdventures or Shiny Gold) where the difficulty is higher.

firefight

I like people
    Years
  • does anybody know any good soulsilver/heartgold hacks? i know it has to be a hard one to hack (what with having your buddies following you) but i love them and it would be great if there was one. i have played stormsilver.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2015
    what would you think ABT a hack where the rival character ends up with the evil team? Could it make for a nice twist?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    what would you think ABT a hack where the rival character ends up with the evil team? Could it make for a nice twist?

Well, it would definitely add to the plot, in fact, I'm doing something like this, but in my hack, eventually the rival (and the player which also joins) leave.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    So, which hack(s) are you guys rooting for in this year's Hack of the Year competition?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I'm not really sure, but I know for a fact that discovery will be in my votes :)
    Also, mods, shouldn't LQ be in the ineligible hacks? It won HOTY last year

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Platinum R&B is good but has no release so you can't really judge it that well in terms of scripting, mapping, storyline and if its gameplay is engaging or not so I couldn't vote for that for the most part. Went with Gaia mainly.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Oh gosh, it's already awards time? I haven't had that much time to play many hacks this year.

I guess I'll be rooting for Touhoumon Purple or Emerald Omega in sideshow. YAFRH won last year, but they've both been worked on this year. Man, I've been out of touch with the main showcase for a while. What should I play that's new?

Years
  • So...
    when I started scripting, I found it hard...
    now, I found it super easy!
    So, you guys, what did you think when you're just a newbie to scripting, did you find it hard or easy?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • It gets super easy when you click that you're basically just writing what you want to happen. msgbox for some text, applymovement to move; scripting is just a list of what you want to happen really.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    So...
    when I started scripting, I found it hard...
    now, I found it super easy!
    So, you guys, what did you think when you're just a newbie to scripting, did you find it hard or easy?

I started out by a combination of already existing in-game scripts and the big tutorial. I found minor things like normal NPC actions deceivingly simple after a little while. The only part I got hung up on was the amount of text a message box can hold.

Back