• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I like it when ROM hacks look official. Like they're from Nintendo. Have you ever seen Nintendo spelling it like "pokemons?" Or how about "POKEMON?" Nope. Sooooooo many hacks don't use the "é" or even add an "s" to the already grammatically incorrect "pokemon." In my opinion, it looks SO much better when you spell it correctly, capital letters and all.

All caps would look bad though.. it makes it look like they are screaming or something. But I agree with what you said with the é. When they don't put it in Pokémon it looks pretty weird imo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Well, "Pokémon" is the official spelling anyway, and since it was added in so that everyone would pronounce it correctly, I'd rather see that instead of "pokemon" used in hacks. However, it's not a reason to make me dislike a hack, that's one of the least important reasons for me.

also, alt 1 3 0

Years
  • I actually agree, writing it as "pokemon" instead of "Pokémon" (or the alternative if you're not decapitalising the hack) does annoy me, but "Pokeball" instead of "Poké Ball" -- ESPECIALLY when the item name isn't changed -- really rustles my jimmies. It really shouldn't but, I dunno, it just annoys me. If the rest of the hack is great, though, then it's no biggie.

Kenna18155

Kenna18155
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Dec 1, 2020
    All caps would look bad though.. it makes it look like they are screaming or something. But I agree with what you said with the é. When they don't put it in Pokémon it looks pretty weird imo.

In most Pokémon hacks (unless they are decapitalized) use a lot of caps.

Example: "MOM: Hello, MAKENNA. How has your day been? How is your POKéMON?"

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • In most Pokémon hacks (unless they are decapitalized) use a lot of caps.

Yeah, not sure if that looks good. I get why it happens, but it looks like the person is periodically shouting at you, like the have Tourette Syndrome or something.

I think use of color and font effects works better for that type of thing.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    In most Pokémon hacks (unless they are decapitalized) use a lot of caps.

Yeah that looks like it's screaming too. That's why I prefer decapitalized hacks.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Decapitalization indeed. Capitalized words don't work well with modern Pokemon dialog fonts or in speech in general. They're more a product of the times from Gen 1+2 (Well, and 3), back when games often did that sort of thing. You don't see it very often today.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't mind capitalisation, but colour is the better alternative. I'm easy either way! People make a big deal of capitals, but if they're used for important words then it's fine ;-; a lot of games do that or similar (or used to, anyway).

Kenna18155

Kenna18155
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Dec 1, 2020
    Yeah, not sure if that looks good. I get why it happens, but it looks like the person is periodically shouting at you, like the have Tourette Syndrome or something.

I think use of color and font effects works better for that type of thing.

I like seeing it in GBA games/hacks because, well, that's just how I've always seen in gen III. I guess it's just a preference. I wouldn't like to see caps in modern games, but in Gen III (when I started playing Pokémon) it just seems so natural.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I don't really mind, whatever people do is up to them. The way in which text is captialised or not isn't going to deter me from playing a hack I like the look of.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I don't understand why people are like "I don't mind 'Pokemon' without the accent."

It's incorrect. In a hack, it should be Pokémon. That is the official spelling, and how to appears in all official material. I can understand missing an accent here and there (I catch a few missing accents each time I add a town's worth of dialog) but it should be considered an error and promptly fixed.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I don't understand why people are like "I don't mind 'Pokemon' without the accent."

It's incorrect. In a hack, it should be Pokémon. That is the official spelling, and how to appears in all official material. I can understand missing an accent here and there (I catch a few missing accents each time I add a town's worth of dialog) but it should be considered an error and promptly fixed.
    But hacks aren't the official games, and it's solely a matter of preference. I think there are far more important things to be deterred by, like terrible spelling or other issues.

You can say that hacks should try to emulate the main games, but I'd disagree. Hacks aren't the main games and, though the bulk of them follow the same vein, they are what the hacker wants them to be, not what the main games are or should be.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    A little off-topic, but does anyone thing gen four hacking would ever kick off someday? There aren't much great tools, but at least we have some, and, well, if you ask me, those are definitely good enough to work and pull off some nice things with. :]

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • I think it will eventually take off. The time this might happen will be when/if tools for 4th gen are supported and tutorials are put out on the topic. There is a really neat tool for 4th gen hacking, which is Spiky-Eared Pichu's DS Map Editor (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=288625). This is basically the Advanced Map of 4th gen, but sadly, it hasn't seen any (or very little) tutorials or updates at all.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm not sure. It has the potential to take off, but there's still so much left to uncover for Gen 3, and research is still heavily being placed on it. Not too mention that there's not much demand for 4th+ generation hacks due to the hackability of the third generation. I see gen 4 hacking about the same way as I do the Mystery Dungeon games: they would already be thoroughly hacked if the demand for them existed.

It's pretty obvious why there isn't much demand; all Gen 4 seems to boast are better (and more difficult to manage) graphics. At least, that would be the massive opinion. In terms of hackibility, however, I would say that Gen 5 is where interest needs to be placed. In terms of scripting capabilities, BW was lightyears ahead of Gen 4 and even Gen 3, and it's an engine I'd like to play with. It also places a higher emphasis on animation rather than sprites that simply move, which could give more life to hacks (and characters which, in terms of storytelling, could create quite the boon visually). I'd say that it's the VX to the XP that is Gen 3 (or the VX Ace to the VX that is Gen 4).

So yeah, there's potential, and I'm hoping that one day Gen 5 will be a viable platform for hacking, but I can't see it happening in the near future.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • A little off-topic, but does anyone thing gen four hacking would ever kick off someday? There aren't much great tools, but at least we have some, and, well, if you ask me, those are definitely good enough to work and pull off some nice things with. :]
    It's still more profitable to do GBA hacks... DS emulation isn't that good and people might complain about slowness.

Back