• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years

It's posts like these that make me want to crawl up in a whole and die. Game Freak's spriters are some of the best, so I believe that their tiles are fantastic. Default tiles not only are beautiful, but the anatomy of them among other things makes them perfect for GBA.

I believe they could of done better, I have you seen some of the other sprites game freak has made they are great but I believe rom hackers can make better.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
Do you like Nintendo's mapping style, or do you like some of the Rom hackers mapping style? I personally like nintendo's mapping style because I've seen waaay too much "natural" maps. I mean come on! What's wrong with square?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Do you like Nintendo's mapping style, or do you like some of the Rom hackers mapping style? I personally like nintendo's mapping style because I've seen waaay too much "natural" maps. I mean come on! What's wrong with square?
it looks uugly, in my opinum. I rather see natrual maps.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023

What is wrong with square? It isn't natural. Tell me when you see a mountain go in a straight line for about 50 feet then make a sharp turn and become another straight line for another 50 feet. The only advantage that Nintendo has with their mapping is that it is very playable, and it isn't as impossible as it sounds to make natural and playable maps.
I'm not saying that Nintendo mapping is necessarily bad, because I've seen quite a few people make amazing maps while using the Nintendo style. Christos and Goon made some great maps that aren't splayed all over the place. I'd try Nintendo mapping myself, but it just never works for me.

It's posts like these that make me want to crawl up in a whole and die. Game Freak's spriters are some of the best, so I believe that their tiles are fantastic. Default tiles not only are beautiful, but the anatomy of them among other things makes them perfect for GBA.

R/S/E trees are ass.
Just saying :\

Aljam

Years

What is wrong with square? It isn't natural. Tell me when you see a mountain go in a straight line for about 50 feet then make a sharp turn and become another straight line for another 50 feet. The only advantage that Nintendo has with their mapping is that it is very playable, and it isn't as impossible as it sounds to make natural and playable maps.
I'm not saying that Nintendo mapping is necessarily bad, because I've seen quite a few people make amazing maps while using the Nintendo style. Christos and Goon made some great maps that aren't splayed all over the place. I'd try Nintendo mapping myself, but it just never works for me.

R/S/E trees are ass.
Just saying :\

I see... well I was just saying because I think I might try out the nintendo style. And ya the RSE trees do suck (some of them do)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
-headdesk-

Why does everyone think Nintendo's mapping is square?

Tell me this, this, or this is square.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
-headdesk-

Lulz you liek Pokemon.

But seriously, I agree with you. It's not square at all, it's only square compared to the natural mapping style, which I think is horrible to look at because Pokemon tiles and natural mapping don't go together.

Also, the square reason is because people make that up trying to think they can map better than Nintendo. That'd why I never post a map in the rating thread, because I will get a couple of raters saying "it's too square".

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Who cares about being square. I think only a few mappers can trump Game Freak's maps. Christos, colcolstyles, Malin, sasquatchd00d, just to name a few.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Who cares about being square. I think only a few mappers can trump Game Freak's maps. Christos, colcolstyles, Malin, sasquatchd00d, just to name a few.
You forgot to mention me. XD
I agree, the "natural" mapping style makes me not wanna eat my dinner. I mean, come on!
Please don't tell me you can do better that 100 people who get paid for what they do?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
These maps are some of the best maps of Nintedo. Why don't you look at first maps (Route 1 in FR, Viridian Forest)? These are square. D:

That's because those were remakes of R/B/Y's maps, which were square partly due to technical limitations. For example, R/B/Y maps are made with blocks of 4 tiles, meaning that you couldn't make something without making it look a bit square. For example, look at G/S/C's coasts; although you can tell Game Freak tried to make them look natural, they still look square because they could only use 2x2 tile blocks.
FR/LG's new maps in the Sevii Islands look amazing, though. D/P/Pt's maps are a bit square due to the fact that the maps are models; it's easier to work with a few large polygons than loads of small ones. HG/SS's maps are a bit better, though, despite being remakes.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
That's because those were remakes of R/B/Y's maps, which were square partly due to technical limitations. For example, R/B/Y maps are made with blocks of 4 tiles, meaning that you couldn't make something without making it look a bit square. For example, look at G/S/C's coasts; although you can tell Game Freak tried to make them look natural, they still look square because they could only use 2x2 tile blocks.
FR/LG's new maps in the Sevii Islands look amazing, though. D/P/Pt's maps are a bit square due to the fact that the maps are models; it's easier to work with a few large polygons than loads of small ones. HG/SS's maps are a bit better, though, despite being remakes.
I like HGSS's maps because not only the placement, but also it has levels and great use of mountains.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
-headdesk-

I like how you use those maps but neglect to give a little show time from Firered and Leafgreen island maps.
This, this, and this is a prime example that they still do lazy and choppy work with putting any real effort into [natural] mapping. Sure, those maps were pretty fun to traverse, but in all of them, the mountains almost completely follow each other.
And you may say that it is to match the style that R/B/Y had, and I call bull if you do. This doesn't justify the eye raping that they gave people when they basically showed what they could really do, and then switched back immediately to the old crappy style that they have used all along. I won't even bother showing the god awful excuse that they called "pattern bush", because it embarrasses itself when the only thing it harbors is a symmetrical map aside from the grass.
And lets not forget that terrible navel rock. They could've made that place an actual challenge, but they just decided to add more than 15 floors of nothing but ladder climbing. Not even a wild Pokemon could be found.

I abhor how they decided to fix the water routes, but did little to nothing about the normal routes when changing them, other than fixing the size to make it seem more modern. Remember guys, these are the WATER routes. The absolute least interesting places of every Pokemon game. Every single trainer there has water Pokemon if they don't carry 6 magikarp with them. An electric or grass Pokemon can almost destroy them, with the exception of that occasional tentacool. At least on the land, there is some diversity.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I like how you use those maps but neglect to give a little show time from Firered and Leafgreen island maps.
This, this, and this is a prime example that they still do lazy and choppy work with putting any real effort into [natural] mapping. Sure, those maps were pretty fun to traverse, but in all of them, the mountains almost completely follow each other.
And you may say that it is to match the style that R/B/Y had, and I call bull if you do. This doesn't justify the eye raping that they gave people when they basically showed what they could really do, and then switched back immediately to the old crappy style that they have used all along. I won't even bother showing the god awful excuse that they called "pattern bush", because it embarrasses itself when the only thing it harbors is a symmetrical map aside from the grass.
And lets not forget that terrible navel rock. They could've made that place an actual challenge, but they just decided to add more than 15 floors of nothing but ladder climbing. Not even a wild Pokemon could be found.

I abhor how they decided to fix the water routes, but did little to nothing about the normal routes when changing them, other than fixing the size to make it seem more modern. Remember guys, these are the WATER routes. The absolute least interesting places of every Pokemon game. Every single trainer there has water Pokemon if they don't carry 6 magikarp with them. An electric or grass Pokemon can almost destroy them, with the exception of that occasional tentacool. At least on the land, there is some diversity.

I disagree with you. However it's my personal preference I like simple playbale maps, and they are playable. It doesn't matter much about their look, unless we go into the tiles and if they don't belnd together. Maybe Nintendo could have done a little better but I like the way those maps are. :P

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I disagree with you. However it's my personal preference I like simple playable maps, and they are playable. It doesn't matter much about their look, unless we go into the tiles and if they don't blend together. Maybe Nintendo could have done a little better but I like the way those maps are. :P

Nintendo did a good job with making R/S/E look natural, but they made the most half assed attempt they could with the sevii islands.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Nintendo did a good job with making R/S/E look natural, but they made the most half assed attempt they could with the sevii islands.

I don't like Natural mapping so I'd say I like Sevii better.

Pokemon mapping isn't meant to be natural, IMO.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

I'll agree with that there.

I think I know why though. Fire Red was based off RBY's mapping, and if it suddenly changed into epic RSE mapping, then it would be shifty. Nintendo made Sevii look bad to make it match with the rest of the game.

And I absolutely LOVE how we're able to discuss this without being offtopic!

Aljam

Years

I think I know why though. Fire Red was based off RBY's mapping, and if it suddenly changed into epic RSE mapping, then it would be shifty. Nintendo made Sevii look bad to make it match with the rest of the game.

And I absolutely LOVE how we're able to discuss this without being offtopic!

ya ^_^

Have you noticed some of the ideas in the scrapbox? Sorry to be mean, but most of them are really generic. Like repixelized gold. the story was, in the posters exact words, "The exact same as gold." Why don't people search around first and actually look at other ROM hack threads and base the layout on that? I have to admit though. Not all hacks in the scrapbox aren't bad, mostly the people are learning to hack and have a good idea and need a little help. I can think of a couple of people I know who I think might have some potential in ROM Hacking.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Really? Cuz I thought that the Sevii Islands had more simlar mapping to R/S/E, and that Kanto just looked flat and stupid compared to the epic Hoenn region of R/S/E.

I'm glad HG/SS made it so Kanto isn't flat and stupid-looking. I'm making a ROM hack to re-create a R/S/E/HG/SS-style Kanto :P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back