• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
  • It depends on the subject. Mapping for me is all trial and error. I map my own way, use the tiles how I want to, and if I make an error, I correct it. Scripting on the other hand requires references such as an item/pokemon hexadecimal list whilst doing bigger scripts. So, for scripting, I'd use a tutorial, or more likely, a text file containing the list. Graphics editing; however, would leave me with more than one tutorial. Although, if I'm just correcting a sprite (like a few pixels), it's trial and error. But, like I said, it depends.

Also, I had a thought a few minutes ago. What is a "hack"?
    When we think of a "hack", at least in pokemon, we take in the graphics, maps, and events/scripts. But, with a "hack" in definition is a modification of a file by use of a program (in our case, and yes this includes hexadecimal editors) or specific code. But, by definition, a hack is a single modification of said file. So, when we change a map, going by this definition, it is a complete "hack" or change. But, in our sense of the word, a "hack" is many modifications of one file, in this case a ROM. So, what do you think a "hack" is? One lone modification, or many?

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • New discussion: Do you preffer to read tutorials, or test though a lot errors and trials, or you ask a lot of quostiens?

I would like to think that I figure things out for myself but the honest truth is that the majority of what I know is already covered in some document/tutorial somewhere. I tried to do some research into tile animations once but I didn't get very far.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The fun thing about Meteor Falls is that it's designed from the ground-up to represent depth - and with this you can easily create a tall area. It's a little different in that the perimeter (and in the default map, certain cliffs) appears to be straight up cliffs rather than inclined ones (which are everywhere in Pokémon games). By the way, fun fact: overworld (and overworld-based, like forests) tileset needs major modifications to fit the camera angle between FR/LG and R/S/E, but indoor and cave areas don't as they already are similar in style. Ish. (Camera angle moreso.) So putting Meteor Falls' tileset into FR/LG won't look too tacky (unless you compare the overall FRLG design scheme).

And/or if you replace every single cave tileset with an RSE one. =D Like me. -laffs-

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • I'd like to start with a new topic ;D

My question is: Is the press start in the title screen necessary?

I think it isn't. When trying to insert a background with lots and lots of colors, those 2 taken up by the image could really be used elsewhere and make it better. It's like having a book saying, "open cover".

So, anybody wanna talk it up?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • You don't have to make the start button gray, and black. you can make it green for all I care. I do find it nesisary, I feel like the title screen is missing something if it dosen't have it.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Also, I had a thought a few minutes ago. What is a "hack"?
    When we think of a "hack", at least in pokemon, we take in the graphics, maps, and events/scripts. But, with a "hack" in definition is a modification of a file by use of a program (in our case, and yes this includes hexadecimal editors) or specific code. But, by definition, a hack is a single modification of said file. So, when we change a map, going by this definition, it is a complete "hack" or change. But, in our sense of the word, a "hack" is many modifications of one file, in this case a ROM. So, what do you think a "hack" is? One lone modification, or many?

Thanks for completely ignoring this.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • aww, I am so sorry, I didn't see it. :P(I hate when that happends to me)
    I think when pokemon rom hacking first came out a single modification was considered a compleat hack(like just adding one dp pokemon), but as we advanced a single modification dose not cut it. So now the defeintion as changed, for it to be considered a compleat hack you have to have a lot of changes.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

Thanks for completely ignoring this.

Cool story bro (b'-')b

By definition, a hack is what you said, but most people prefer to call that just a simple edit, since no real work is done.
    That is basically the whole discussion right there.

I'd like to start with a new topic ;D

My question is: Is the press start in the title screen necessary?

I think it isn't. When trying to insert a background with lots and lots of colors, those 2 taken up by the image could really be used elsewhere and make it better. It's like having a book saying, "open cover".

So, anybody wanna talk it up?

Yes, it should to the new players. To most of us, it is already implied to press the start button in clear text, but isolating it(and thus making it stick out) while making it clearly legible will work just as well.

Since we were talking about meteor falls, am I the only person who noticed that Mt. Moon has somewhat similar tiles? It also has those little walls to show how steep the cave is.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years

• Cool story bro (b'-')b

By definition, a hack is what you said, but most people prefer to call that just a simple edit, since no real work is done.
    That is basically the whole discussion right there.

Yes, it should to the new players. To most of us, it is already implied to press the start button in clear text, but isolating it(and thus making it stick out) while making it clearly legible will work just as well.

Since we were talking about meteor falls, am I the only person who noticed that Mt. Moon has somewhat similar tiles? It also has those little walls to show how steep the cave is.

OMG! you're absolutely right! Mt. Moon looks like meteor falls! Never new that until looking at them just now.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Since we were talking about meteor falls, am I the only person who noticed that Mt. Moon has somewhat similar tiles? It also has those little walls to show how steep the cave is.

Pfft, Mt. Moon is nowhere near as awesome. Well, similar in some parts, I guess, but there aren't any funny wall thingy bone jabby loads of thingy. Or slime. Slime is just awesome.

I guess I see how they're SLIGHTLY familar...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Pfft, Mt. Moon is nowhere near as awesome. Well, similar in some parts, I guess, but there aren't any funny wall thingy bone jabby loads of thingy. Or slime. Slime is just awesome.

I guess I see how they're SLIGHTLY familar...

Meteor falls has slime?
    I do hope that you are talking about those wet ledges, because I am just clueless as to what you are talking about D8

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Only now I realized how smart Meteor Falls map is structured.
    It defies many "rules of mapping".
    If I posted that map in the Map Rating Thread, I'm sure I would only get replies that would expose the "normal" mapping errors.
    Plus, it uses - besides the normal mountain tile - many tiles that actually weren't noticed when playing the game.
    The palletes, first light orange, then in Emerald, grey.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Only now I realized how smart Meteor Falls map is structured.
    It defies many "rules of mapping".
    If I posted that map in the Map Rating Thread, I'm sure I would only get replies that would expose the "normal" mapping errors.
    Plus, it uses - besides the normal mountain tile - many tiles that actually weren't noticed when playing the game.
    The palletes, first light orange, then in Emerald, grey.

Yep, well more purply grey. It is a wonderful map to see, and if you can perfect the Meteor Falls style, it is an amazement, as there are so many things to remember (as there are specific tiles for specific places in Ruby anyway).

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    guys, I have a question.
    Quite a while ago, this person posted a map that used the big ledges(as walls, as opposed to the little ledges that you jump over) and I noticed that he actually got downgraded for that. Now I'm just wondering, why does pokemon emerald get a free pass when they use it in meteor falls.
    In case you don't know what I'm talking about, just look at this(right next to the ledges.)
    right here

I'm also wondering why Mt. Chimney has that piece of mountain overlapping the lower layers. Why is that so shunned in mapping when Nintendo already did it?
    Just look at the end of it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    right here

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • guys, I have a question.
    Quite a while ago, this person posted a map that used the big ledges(as walls, as opposed to the little ledges that you jump over) and I noticed that he actually got downgraded for that. Now I'm just wondering, why does pokemon emerald get a free pass when they use it in meteor falls.
    In case you don't know what I'm talking about, just look at this(right next to the ledges.)
    right here
    Do you mean the fact that they used the normal mountain tiles to show inclination like in various spots in this map (warning: only a slight page-breaker), particularly in the northern half, instead of jump-over-able ledges?
    I'm also wondering why Mt. Chimney has that piece of mountain overlapping the lower layers. Why is that so shunned in mapping when Nintendo already did it?
    right here
    Contrary to what I believed for quite some time, just because Nintendo does it doesn't make it correct. Route 11 has a whole slew of tree shadow errors along the southern border (and a whole lot more in various places throughout Kanto) and there are some errors with the water-edge tiles in the two maps on the right in the Meteor Falls sheet you linked to. The point is: Nintendo may have used that protruding mountain-thingy in one of their official maps but it still looks ugly :\

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • guys, I have a question.
    Well, people like the norms. It's not a free pass - you can do it any time with any tiles, but it looks funny sometimes.

right here

Because it doesn't look right.

EDIT:

Do you mean the fact that they used the normal mountain tiles to show inclination like in various spots in this map (warning: only a slight page-breaker), particularly in the northern half, instead of jump-over-able ledges?
    Doing it wrong. The principle is fine, but that's poorly executed, in my eyes.

Also, what do you mean by slight? It nearly breaks the page zoomed out!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back