• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

S&M Community Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok this is returning...at last lol. Concepts/gimmicks and dates etc will be posted soon!

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • This will actually be returning, before I resigned we decided with a great deal of decisiveness (for a change, lol) that this would be returning. I can smell this beginning to rot away again so we will get it running soon.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that D_A has work in basically every nighttime time slot. That means we will actually have a chance to win tournaments, lol. Don't kill me for celebrating your absence Mr. Ginger =(.

At any rate, we have to iron out the problems that brought this down last time. First of all, the time slot. I couldn't believe that a few people complained about it after the second Community Night despite the fact that it was basically the community as a whole that influenced what it would be. If you have issues with the time, you have to speak up. We can't make it work for everyone, but we will try to adapt to as many people as possible. Obviously, we are going to get a new day and time slot for the revival of Community Night. Let's get it right this time guys...

Next up, the tournaments. It's obviously bad when you can't even get eight people to sign up for a few tournaments. That either means that you guys are lazy or that the themes were not good. Since there isn't much we can do about that first thing, we'll just assume that the themes were bad. We could either do two big tournaments (one for OU, one for another metagame) each time with one small gimmick tournament, or we could stay with our 4-5 small tournaments. If you guys have any other ideas, post them here. Lastly, the themes will be chosen after we discuss them with the members on the server, and the most popular ones will be chosen. We can't have inactive tournaments =/.

Also, from what I can remember (it's been so long lol), it kind of sucked when the main chat was just spammed with tournament organization stuff. I feel like that should just be an automatic kick, AKA results and such should just be posted in this thread and PMed on the server to whoever is hosting Community Night.

...That brings me to my last point. I feel like each time, a different person should organize it. I certainly won't have the time (or desire probably, lol) to do it each time and I'm pretty sure D_A will be gone, and poor Aura has other dying forums to worry about. I feel like this could be a good time for everyone to have a shot at shaping Community Night in their image. When it worked for the first one, it was a pretty fun experience.

Years
  • On tourney themes I don't think people really desire to play the gimmicky tournaments. I personally think we should just have a OU, UU, NU, and uber tournament.

And if you ever need someone to organise it I'll happily help.

Idea: we could possibly give people points for placement in a tournament and have an overall competition that the most pints wins, I think it would encourage people to enter more than just the one and it also adds a bit more of a comparative edge.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • On tourney themes I don't think people really desire to play the gimmicky tournaments. I personally think we should just have a OU, UU, NU, and uber tournament.

And if you ever need someone to organise it I'll happily help.

Idea: we could possibly give people points for placement in a tournament and have an overall competition that the most pints wins, I think it would encourage people to enter more than just the one and it also adds a bit more of a comparative edge.

No one really plays Ubers here. NU is more popular but not by much from what I can tell. The only two real tournaments we could have are UU and OU imo. Nevertheless, I would be fine without gimmicks since it won't require people to make new teams but I don't know how others feel about that.

I don't really feel like points would add anything though. If people aren't motivated to win tournaments (and sadly most are not) they certainly won't be motivated to win multiple tournaments.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Fair point, though starting hosting tournaments in over tiers (even if they only get 4 entrants say) will promote use of that tier and perhaps interest players in it.

Sadly, interest in the metagame, regardless of the tier, probably won't rise much. However, I don't see the problem with something like two big tournaments, one for UU and one for OU, and then a small tournament for Ubers. However, I suspect that, much like with the gimmick tournaments, people won't take it seriously and will just throw together a poorly built team...or they'll copy one from Smogon. But I don't see the problem with trying.

Though generally speaking I need some input from everyone on when we're going to do this so that we can begin to prepare to bring it back.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Sadly, interest in the metagame, regardless of the tier, probably won't rise much. However, I don't see the problem with something like two big tournaments, one for UU and one for OU, and then a small tournament for Ubers. However, I suspect that, much like with the gimmick tournaments, people won't take it seriously and will just throw together a poorly built team...or they'll copy one from Smogon. But I don't see the problem with trying.

Though generally speaking I need some input from everyone on when we're going to do this so that we can begin to prepare to bring it back.

Well, I never really thought that most people would take a gimmick tournament seriously; moreso, I thought that the main idea behind the whole gimmick tournament would be to actually not be serious about the battling and stuff. :/

If we do have a gimmick tourney, I really think it should be a gimmick, not just another tier. I dunno, though.

As far as times, I think everyone who wants to participate should post their timezone, and perhaps the times they are able/willing to get on. We won't be able to get everyone in, but if we can get a majority of the people timed up then I think this could be successful.

Years
    • he/him
    • Online now
    No one really plays Ubers here.
    Gamer, DA (idk if he still does) and I do, but that's just three people.

I believe an OU, UU / NU, and gimmick tournament (I think was suggested on Shoddy by someone?) would do fine, it's a good mix of everything and simple. People would only have to make one team for a gimmick which means having the CM every week easier for everyone. When we had the first tournament (I wasn't here for the second), the final tournament was a bit difficult to fit in because everyone was wanting to leave by then, so having just three would be better imo (later we could add extra tournaments if we have enough people that stay). Maybe once we have the time made, you could add a rough estimate times for when each of the tournaments begin so people will expect to stay up until the last tour they're participating in starts. Also, having RNG bred Pokemon as prizes would be good to interest new people to join in, since they usually have Wi-Fi from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Wow I've been gone a week and Community Night is back? Awesome.

Anyways I like the idea of an OU, NU/UU, and gimmick tourney because it really covers most of the stuff that people play here. I'm also willing to organize a Community Night or two if needed.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    The gimmick tourney should totally be OU/UU with SR banned. :>

welcome back to advance!

Years
    • he/him
    • Online now
    The gimmick tourney should totally be OU/UU with SR banned. :>

welcome back to advance!
    That would be interesting (Moltres!!), but Mence would probably need to be banned.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • On tourney themes I don't think people really desire to play the gimmicky tournaments.

If people wanted to play standard teams they would just hop on the ladder. The reason for tournaments like these, imo, are for the use of gimmicks or battle conditions that you wouldn't normally see. Or in tiers that not many, or only a few people play in, such as NU, LC, and Ubers.

Well, I never really thought that most people would take a gimmick tournament seriously; moreso, I thought that the main idea behind the whole gimmick tournament would be to actually not be serious about the battling and stuff. :/

Welcome to Pokemon Strategies and Movesets, your place for competitive Pokemon discussion! I mean, naturally they are more lighthearted, but people still want to win.

That would be interesting (Moltres!!), but Mence would probably need to be banned.

I don't see why, I mean, naturally they would be more powerful, but the point of the tourney would be to see what these pokemon would be like without such a hindrance in the way, regardless of how broken they are.

As for my own post that doesn't involve responding to previous posts here goes:

Not to copy from Smogon, but the Late Night Tournament (LNT) on Smogon has had some really cool themes, and some not so great ones. While some may frown upon stealing themes, it wouldn't hurt to "borrow" an idea or two to get this thing off the ground, see what kind of a playerbase we will have and see how successful the actually revival is.

Time Zones are also a pain. Naturally we will not be able to accomidate every member of PC, so maybe we could split it up and have like one week that favors people in America / Europe and one time that works with people in America / Oceania. It would limit the amount of Comm. Nights players like Dark Azelf and Opposite Day could play in, but we could accomidate users like Alternative or whomever, assuming they are willing to participate. Work Schedules are also problematic, but there isn't much we can do about that unless we can work it out with our bosses and ask to not work night shifts on <day>.

Thats my 2 cents about this whole thing. If I'm ever available, a.k.a. my boss doesn't have me work the night shift every. single. time. I. work. I would be more than willing to participate in and/or host some of these. I live for gimmicky stuff. :)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Well, I never really thought that most people would take a gimmick tournament seriously; moreso, I thought that the main idea behind the whole gimmick tournament would be to actually not be serious about the battling and stuff. :/

If we do have a gimmick tourney, I really think it should be a gimmick, not just another tier. I dunno, though.

As far as times, I think everyone who wants to participate should post their timezone, and perhaps the times they are able/willing to get on. We won't be able to get everyone in, but if we can get a majority of the people timed up then I think this could be successful.

About that ladt part, I'll probably just ask everyone on the server who plans on coming to comnight and then I'll compile them and come up with a few different time slots. From there, we can collectively decide on a day.

And while I don't mind gimmick tournaments being more about fun than winning (as you said, that's basically the point), I'd rather not hold them if people are going to neglect them so much as to make them more like random battles than anything else, which is basically what happened last time.

Gamer, DA (idk if he still does) and I do, but that's just three people.

I believe an OU, UU / NU, and gimmick tournament (I think was suggested on Shoddy by someone?) would do fine, it's a good mix of everything and simple. People would only have to make one team for a gimmick which means having the CM every week easier for everyone. When we had the first tournament (I wasn't here for the second), the final tournament was a bit difficult to fit in because everyone was wanting to leave by then, so having just three would be better imo (later we could add extra tournaments if we have enough people that stay). Maybe once we have the time made, you could add a rough estimate times for when each of the tournaments begin so people will expect to stay up until the last tour they're participating in starts. Also, having RNG bred Pokemon as prizes would be good to interest new people to join in, since they usually have Wi-Fi from what I've seen.

I agree with most of this, but I don't really see the need to offer prizes. If we're really desperate for more people then I guess we will have to, but the prospect of being forced to resort to such a gimmick makes my a little uneasy, haha.

If people wanted to play standard teams they would just hop on the ladder. The reason for tournaments like these, imo, are for the use of gimmicks or battle conditions that you wouldn't normally see. Or in tiers that not many, or only a few people play in, such as NU, LC, and Ubers.

Welcome to Pokemon Strategies and Movesets, your place for competitive Pokemon discussion! I mean, naturally they are more lighthearted, but people still want to win.

I don't see why, I mean, naturally they would be more powerful, but the point of the tourney would be to see what these pokemon would be like without such a hindrance in the way, regardless of how broken they are.

As for my own post that doesn't involve responding to previous posts here goes:

Not to copy from Smogon, but the Late Night Tournament (LNT) on Smogon has had some really cool themes, and some not so great ones. While some may frown upon stealing themes, it wouldn't hurt to "borrow" an idea or two to get this thing off the ground, see what kind of a playerbase we will have and see how successful the actually revival is.

Time Zones are also a pain. Naturally we will not be able to accomidate every member of PC, so maybe we could split it up and have like one week that favors people in America / Europe and one time that works with people in America / Oceania. It would limit the amount of Comm. Nights players like Dark Azelf and Opposite Day could play in, but we could accomidate users like Alternative or whomever, assuming they are willing to participate. Work Schedules are also problematic, but there isn't much we can do about that unless we can work it out with our bosses and ask to not work night shifts on <day>.

Thats my 2 cents about this whole thing. If I'm ever available, a.k.a. my boss doesn't have me work the night shift every. single. time. I. work. I would be more than willing to participate in and/or host some of these. I live for gimmicky stuff. :)

I think your take on gimmick tournaments isn't very realistic. The truth of the matter is that people have not and will not take them seriously. People just aren't willing to build a team to fit a theme just to win "some silly gimmick tournament on comnight." Your response kind of reminds me of theorymon, it makes sense but in practice it just doesn't work that way.

As for the rest of your post, I really don't see why we should alter the time to get everyone involved. I feel like we should pick a time when the highest percentage of our user base can participate and stick with that. We really don't have many users that have huge time zone differences anyway, and it's not like it's impossible to get on.

From what I can tell, everyone seems to like the OU/UU or NU (probably alternating)/gimmick tournament set-up. Unless there is opposition I don't know about, we should probably come up with a gimmick tournament theme. Since they usually end up being useless and not even competitive at all, I think that we should make it close to the OU game but with a key difference, like no Stealth Rock or something like that. That way team building won't be a pain since it will largely be the same process.

My theme of choice is just no Salamence, just like the suspect ladder...but I'll leave all of that up to you guys.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I think if we're going with the greatest number of people online possible, most people turn up on Shoddy between noon and 3-4ish on Pacific Time, so I think that would be the best time to have Community Night.

Years
    • he/him
    • Online now
    Just as a reference, 4 PM in Pacific in other time zones:

7 PM = Eastern
    6 AM = Melbourne / Sydney, Australia
    12 AM = UK
    1 AM = Norway (Oppo)

As far as I know, DA is the only regular that's in UK, but he seems to be awake 24/7 anyway lol. Really depends if the Australians / Oppo are ok with the time.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Just as a reference, 4 PM in Pacific in other time zones:

7 PM = Eastern
    6 AM = Melbourne / Sydney, Australia
    12 AM = UK
    1 AM = Norway (Oppo)

As far as I know, DA is the only regular that's in UK, but he seems to be awake 24/7 anyway lol. Really depends if the Australians / Oppo are ok with the time.

I think that just Australia would be the problem, since the time could range between 12-3/4 PST, which is 9 p.m. - 1 a.m. for Oppo, 8 p.m.- midnight for D_A, but 2 am- 6 am for Australia.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back