• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Hello! If I were to use the female trainer images for a ROM hacking project, who should I give credit to? Beyond "from Pokémon Shin Red/Blue".
    I'm assuming they are free to use since one of the goals of Shin Red seems to be to be a sort of ROM base, but it's always nice to give credit.

Years
  • Really loving this ROM hack - recently started playing it. I noticed a few fixes in the dev patch that I like. Should I just go ahead and continue with 1.23.14 or is 1.24 on the horizon? Either way, amazing stuff!!

1.23.15 beta came out more than a week ago. need to use the "softlock warp" after updating from 1.23.14 to 1.23.15 though (I skipped 1.23.14 and went from 1.23.13 to 1.23.15)

I didn't realize that the shin pokemon games had a smooth 60fps option available since 1.23 'til recently and I just turned it on.
    now it feels like the video is smooth just like pureRGB

In Vortyne's pureRGB games, smooth 60fps is already on by default (with of course no option to turn it off or on there, heh-heh 🙂)

===

currently playing latest versions of pureRGB and one of the features I like is the "improved" Itemfinder function where after using it, the player faces the direction where the hidden item might be as noted here

Itemfinder will turn you to face the direction of the item when one is nearby.

would be cool if a future version of shin pokemon will include the improved Itemfinder function from pureRGB

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In Vortyne's pureRGB games, smooth 60fps is already on by default (with of course no option to turn it off or on there, heh-heh 🙂)

The main reason for enabling 60fps mode by default in pureRGB was simply so that if there was any hidden issues with the excellent changes jojobear made to enable this higher framerate overworld, someone might point it out while playing pureRGB. I didn't see anything while testing but figured having many people testing out this high framerate mode by playing through pureRGB might be good for finding any harder to find issues with the implementation. So far I haven't heard of any issues reported regarding it. 👍

Days
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    is there any way to remove the switch AI?

also is possible to remove 60 fps mod?
    how?

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Great hack! Will there be plans to add day, night and seasons like V4 of Red++?

Days
    • Seen Jul 21, 2023
    Hey, I was wondering about the level scaling: everytime one of my Pokemons levels up, trainers pokemons also levels up. I find this to be an issue if trying to keep a balanced team, especially in the early game. And for some reason, if I go back to oaks lab and turn the scaling off and on again, trainer levels go down a bit and become more reasonable. Is this intentional? Using pokemon red, IPS patch 1.23hotfix.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hey, I was wondering about the level scaling: everytime one of my Pokemons levels up, trainers pokemons also levels up. I find this to be an issue if trying to keep a balanced team, especially in the early game. And for some reason, if I go back to oaks lab and turn the scaling off and on again, trainer levels go down a bit and become more reasonable. Is this intentional? Using pokemon red, IPS patch 1.23hotfix.

Trainer scaling should follow the formula of [ (highest player party level) + (0 to 3 levels) + IF(boss music = true, then 0 to 3 levels, else 0) ] for each enemy trainer pokemon. If things are going higher than this, then some value is not getting cleared properly.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Questions for the future of this hack:

1. Do you plan on making any custom key items? I was thinking one could be unlocked post game called auto healer. It auto heals your party after a victory and can be toggled on/off.

Also, I've always liked the idea of having a town traveler item. It will allow you to travel to any area you can access on the fly map without having to teach it to your Pokemon. (Maybe a way to do this would be to press a button combo while you have the HM Fly in the inventory to access said map?)

2. What about a music player when a battle starts? Having an option to select what music plays when a battle starts via the option screen could be cool. (I don't know how much space you have left or how much this would use)

3. You've done some randomization options in this hack. Are there any others you're interested in messing with? Maybe a Type randomizer? You'll know the answer to this, but it seems to me that types are stored in the save itself because I remember making Ninetails in vanilla Red a part Ghost type then using that same save file on a hack where it's pure Fire and it retained the Ghost typing.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Questions for the future of this hack:

1. Do you plan on making any custom key items? I was thinking one could be unlocked post game called auto healer. It auto heals your party after a victory and can be toggled on/off.

Also, I've always liked the idea of having a town traveler item. It will allow you to travel to any area you can access on the fly map without having to teach it to your Pokemon. (Maybe a way to do this would be to press a button combo while you have the HM Fly in the inventory to access said map?)

Features for this hack are currently locked-in for the next version. I don't plan on adding any until the current beta is fully released. Besides, fiddling around with the key items can get tricky due to how the Gen 1 engine handles things.

Case in point...
    2. What about a music player when a battle starts? Having an option to select what music plays when a battle starts via the option screen could be cool. (I don't know how much space you have left or how much this would use)

The battle music in Gen 1 is actually hard-coded to the opponent being fought. I would have to rework some audio functions so that music can be played based on a selected value.

3. You've done some randomization options in this hack. Are there any others you're interested in messing with? Maybe a Type randomizer? You'll know the answer to this, but it seems to me that types are stored in the save itself because I remember making Ninetails in vanilla Red a part Ghost type then using that same save file on a hack where it's pure Fire and it retained the Ghost typing.

Type 1 and Type 2 are part of a boxed pokemon's data structure, so they can indeed be randomized after the fact. I'll put the idea of randomizing Type 2 up on the shelf.

Days
    • Seen Jul 21, 2023
    Trainer scaling should follow the formula of [ (highest player party level) + (0 to 3 levels) + IF(boss music = true, then 0 to 3 levels, else 0) ] for each enemy trainer pokemon. If things are going higher than this, then some value is not getting cleared properly.

So to clarify, it's highest level + 0-3 levels at random everytime I'm batteling a trainer? So for example, my highest party member is level 17, so I should random trainers pokemon be 18-20?

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    So to clarify, it's highest level + 0-3 levels at random everytime I'm batteling a trainer? So for example, my highest party member is level 17, so I should random trainers pokemon be 18-20?

Regular trainers will randomly generate a level from 17 to 20 and use it for their whole team. Note that I found a small error that was biasing larger trainer teams to higher numbers due to accidentally rolling the level once per enemy pokemon and keeping the highest.

Days
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    is there a way to revert the AI switch pokemon? i didnt liked it too much (i dont want be rude, my english is not the best)
    - take away 60 fps patch? like delete the option to set it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2023
    Best "pure" gen 1 romhack hands-down. Any plans on giving gen 2 the same treatment?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have a question,can i catch Missigno without corrupting my save in this hack?And also i know there are two Missigno in the game for two shores but i only know the cinnabar Island one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    is there a way to revert the AI switch pokemon? i didnt liked it too much (i dont want be rude, my english is not the best)
    - take away 60 fps patch? like delete the option to set it?

These things are hard-coded. You would have to fork the repository, edit it yourself, and recompile the rom.

Best "pure" gen 1 romhack hands-down. Any plans on giving gen 2 the same treatment?

Just a few ideas and some excel spreadsheets. Nothing more. Instead of waiting on me, here is something that is close: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4935/

I have a question,can i catch Missigno without corrupting my save in this hack?And also i know there are two Missigno in the game for two shores but i only know the cinnabar Island one.

This is the state as of beta patch v1.23.15. Seeing glitched front sprites will no longer corrupt the hall of fame because the buffer overflow has been fixed. Missingno's glitched front sprite has been recreated and implemented as a proper front sprite. Missingno is coded as a super-boss trainer battle and cannot be caught. If you use a gameshark code to catch missingno, I think it might be "stable enough" since it now has dedicated header data and a placeholder back sprite. The second location for missingno is the right shore of the Seafoam Islands, but this is an even harder super-boss.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Hello! Thank you for your romhack! I like gamma correction feature and want to make this permanent, as described: via modification of ROM header "Destination Code". I patch "Red" ROM with red patch and "Blue" ROM with blue patch v1.23hotfix, but when I set "Destination Code" to "00 - JP" for them, both "Blue" and "Red" patched ROMs show green-ish gamma, green logo on real GBC with "Everdrive GB X3". On-the-run correction via SELECT press on patched ROM with original "Destination Code" works as intended. I want permanent gamma correction with "Blue" being blue-ish and "Red" being red-ish. Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Am I doing something wrong?

Quite possibly. I'm assuming you're GBC has a backlit LCD screen mod since that's what the color correction is for. I test using cheap flash carts because things like Everdrives have custom firmware that I can't account for.

Try heading over to the master_dev branch and applying the v1.23.15 beta patches. The .BPS format won't allow a bad patch. Then edit the destination code AND fix the header checksum using BGB on your patched roms and save it out. Then load the roms onto your everdrive. Something could be interfering with the GBC's boot rom.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Quite possibly. I'm assuming you're GBC has a backlit LCD screen mod since that's what the color correction is for. I test using cheap flash carts because things like Everdrives have custom firmware that I can't account for.

Try heading over to the master_dev branch and applying the v1.23.15 beta patches. The .BPS format won't allow a bad patch. Then edit the destination code AND fix the header checksum using BGB on your patched roms and save it out. Then load the roms onto your everdrive. Something could be interfering with the GBC's boot rom.

Thanks to your BGB advice, I've managed to properly modify ROMs. Previously I've used "Game Boy ROM Analyzer" to change "Destination Code" and fix the checksum. It seems, this tool has done on ROMs more than I can handle. Problem was with v1.23.15 and on "EZ Flash Junior" as well. But with BGB's Debugger it works as intended. I've attached photos of wrong ("Game Boy ROM Analyzer") and correct (BGB) outcomes.

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      blue_correct.jpg
      243.7 KB · Views: 7
      blue_wrong.jpg
      203.6 KB · Views: 7
      red_correct.jpg
      249.9 KB · Views: 5
      red_wrong.jpg
      200.9 KB · Views: 6
    Back