• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Whatever the current main girl is usually gets the most amount of fanart. For example nowadays I see a lot of Amourshipping art on the Japanese sites, yet a few years ago most of it was Pearlshipping.

I think Ash/Iris was the only main girl ship never to become all that popular for obvious reasons. The only reason Advanceshipping died down was also due to the popularity of Contestshipping, and also a lot of former Advanceshippers moved on to Pearl or Amour instead.

I bet after Serena leaves all the disgruntled Amourshippers will leave the fandom and whatever the next girl ship is will become popular in its place.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The shipping scene for BW was amazingly subdued and I'm glad to see it getting revved up again in XY. I think the main cast ships for BW went like, Wishful > BestWishes > CaféMocha ≈ Negai in terms of popularity, which is pretty unprecedented for PokéAni. Usually it's a fight over which main girl is better for Ash, but people just like... immediately paired Iris with Cilan haha. Was interesting. And was probably because Ash didn't really have an intensely interesting dynamic with either of them, but Iris and Cilan were meant to be opposites in a way and people love pairing opposites. idk I'm glad Amour is popular, even though I'm not really an AmourShipper myself. It just means people are interested again and I'm happy about that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Well a lot of these Amourshippers aren't exactly "new" people. Most of these Amourshippers were previously Pearl or Advanceshippers. They simply moved on to Amour or multi-ship.

The way Serena interacts with Ash isn't all that different from what May or Dawn used to do so there is crossover from fans of the ship. Serena's crush actually being canon helps.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Amourshipping also really doesn't have that much in the way of competition. Aside from Citron, what other Satoshi or Serena pairing in this series really has a realistic chance of taking off? Maybe Serena/Sana (which is a popular ship for the games), but that's about it.

As for the fanart, do you mean you've seen more recent fanart or more accumulated fanart? Cause those are v different statistics.
    I honestly couldn't tell you, since fanart is just something I look into from time-to-time. But I always got the impression that Pokéshipping was still very much amongst the top pairings for both Satoshi and Kasumi, with an impressive amount of new material coming out for it given the amount of time Kasumi has appeared and the other "Satoshi/main girl" pairings that've popped up since then. Even if they're older fans or multishippers, it's more than a lot of other old ships get (the ones that aren't Contestshipping or Ikarishipping, anyway). If I had to guess it would either be Satoshi's second most popular pairing behind Amourshipping, or a close third behind that and Pearlshipping. Either way, that's still a lot of supporters for a pairing that's been essentially dead for about a decade now. But I have no evidence to back any of that up, it's just a general feeling I get whenever I decide to look for some shipping fanart, so by all means take that with a grain of salt.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    It doesn't really matter how many people draw Pokeshipping stuff. Most of them are 25+ year old adults who are long out of the target audience and only draw it because it reminds them of their childhood. Since they don't follow the series anymore it really doesn't matter.

I think Misty's lack of appearance in the anime over the last decade basically discouraged most of them. A lot of them were expecting Misty to still get regular cameos every generation, and when she didn't appear in DP at all, they kinda gave up.

Whatever few you still see linger around today don't even have much to say anymore.

kasumi_chan_x

Nevermore
    Years
  • I'm surprised Pokeshipping still has a semi-strong following today.
    I'll admit, I liked it back in the day and still enjoyed it for years after her leave.

However, in years past I've become neutral to the pairing.

Anyway, as for Serena...While I think Amourshipping has a lot of great hints and such, I can't help but feel she will suffer the same fate as every other girl and be taken out of the cycle for a new one :/ so what's the point?
    Being a shipper is suffering in this series, really.

I think Misty's lack of appearance in the anime over the last decade basically discouraged most of them. A lot of them were expecting Misty to still get regular cameos every generation, and when she didn't appear in DP at all, they kinda gave up.
    Pretty much this. I think after they hit the 8 year mark of nothing, a lot of them grew tired.
    I know I did.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I
    Pretty much this. I think after they hit the 8 year mark of nothing, a lot of them grew tired.
    I know I did.

Just curious, were you following the anime back when Misty originally left and when Hoenn started? Since back in AG Misty still got cameos and appearances in specials, but that pretty much stopped once the Battle Frontier saga started, etc.

I think the difference is back when Hoenn was airing people didn't know there would be a new girl every series. Once Dawn was introduced and we figured out the formula, people realized the old girl would never come back.

kasumi_chan_x

Nevermore
    Years
  • Just curious, were you following the anime back when Misty originally left and when Hoenn started? Since back in AG Misty still got cameos and appearances in specials, but that pretty much stopped once the Battle Frontier saga started, etc.

I think the difference is back when Hoenn was airing people didn't know there would be a new girl every series. Once Dawn was introduced and we figured out the formula, people realized the old girl would never come back.

Yes, I still was following the anime at the time.
    Everyone was ecstatic for her cameo then, and figured it would be a reoccurring thing. (made sense at the time, also didn't help that Misty's japanese VA would vaguely/falsely hint about future cameos every few years)

But yeah, you're right.
    After Dawn's leave, many got a clue and knew it was done for at that point.

Which makes me sad, because I do enjoy Misty's character.
    Ah well. The cycle goes on...

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Episode 862: Ash and Serena's First Date! The Vow Tree and the Present!!

Whaaaaaaaaat. We need to look forward to this episode.

Now watch as they postpone this due to some sort of natural hazard, or because they want to troll us.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Episode 862: Ash and Serena's First Date! The Vow Tree and the Present!!

Whaaaaaaaaat. We need to look forward to this episode.

Now watch as they postpone this due to some sort of natural hazard, or because they want to troll us.
    Romance is banned i Japan so this episode never airs :p

Nah jk, seriously though i am extremely curious as to how this will work. Is it really a date or is it an episode focused on just them and their past? Either way i can't way to see where this goes.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Now there's a title I never thought I'd see come out of this anime...

Judging from the summary, the "date" in question is just Satoshi and Serena going shopping for a present for the Pokémon. Of course, just looking at the title alone, I'm sure Amourshipping fans will have something to look forward to in that episode regardless.

I'm also kind of curious about that image of Saki with Serena and Satoshi in XY053. It could very easily be nothing, but there's definitely a possibility for some Satoshi/Serena hints in that episode as well.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • canon ash relationship? gross

i get that they're still pushing amour but i really hope that this is like, totally serena taking it as a date and ash just being like "yay hangin with my bud".

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    canon ash relationship? gross

i get that they're still pushing amour but i really hope that this is like, totally serena taking it as a date and ash just being like "yay hangin with my bud".
    This is how i see it going but i would oppose something coming out of this.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Fully agreed with Anna, no Satoshi pairing should ever be canon. Not on his end, anyway.

I'm sure XY059 will be pure filler where nothing notable will really happen, but the opportunity for some cute moments between Satoshi and Serena are there. Especially if those two are the primary focus of the episode as the summary suggests. It could be like that BW episode where Satoshi and Iris just spent the whole time hanging out and doing different activities together. That's the kind of thing I'll personally be looking forward to when this eventually airs.

Years
  • canon ash relationship? gross

See, though, I'm worried he'll look at her a certain way... Maybe like he looked at Misty the night before the Whirl Cup Tournament... Or he'll kind of be stunned by her... Or he'll blush, or something... Nothing major, nothing to make it officially canon, but enough to imply that he really does like her.

For the record, I don't have anything against Amourshipping; I think it's a cute ship with a lot of good qualities. But I'm still so attached to Pokeshipping, that a scenario like the one above would be pretty depressing for me. Part of it is that my current OTP features an OC of mine who's Ash and Misty's daughter, and... I want her to feel like canon, both for me and my readers. And she's not the same person if Misty isn't her mother... Well, now I'm getting off topic.

I still have hope that they might give Misty a cameo for the 20th anniversary, though, since she was the one who was there in the beginning. I like to think that the fact that she was first does give her some kind of edge when it comes to Ash pairings. You know, like how the hero usually ends up with the first girl or the last girl. If Ash ends up with anyone at all, which is actually pretty doubtful, heheh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Serena's crush will probably continue to be brought up all throughout the gen. It'll be interesting to see what happens when XY ends and see what they do with Serena.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Episode 862: Ash and Serena's First Date! The Vow Tree and the Present!!

Are my eyes tired, or did I read what I think I read? Wow, that just happened, I'm so looking forward to this.

Wonder what the "vow tree" is. Like a wedding vow? Sounds like this tree we've got at Texas A&M called the Century Tree; it is said if you walk under it with a significant other you two will surely be married someday.

But the things I'm implying are probably really grossing Anna out so I'll just shut up.

I'll just say, if Serena's love interest is there for a reason, something has got to be different with Ash's relationship with her versus any previous companions. Of course, I could be wrong, and the writers could have just gotten bored and wondered "Lol, what if the main girl actually liked Ash?" and will almost certainly manage to BS her out in the series end with some "Don't let going after some boy get in the way of your dreams" moral.

But all I'm hoping for is just one episode of Grey's Anatomy-tier romance, then I'll never post in a shipping thread again.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Keep in mind the "date" is probably all in Serena's head, Ash will be clueless like usual. Serena's crush has been confirmed since practically her first episode so its not a surprise.

The writers are probably just doing this for fun. Nothing will probably happen from it, especially if Serena leaves the anime at the end of the saga like every girl before her.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Some question that nobody ask---

--- 1) Does Miette like Ash ???

---2) Why does She like Ash ???

---3) Does anyone want to cheer for her ?

For those who doesn't her , Here is Miette--

250px-Miette.png

I do find her attractive ! I wonder if its because of her outfit or Her sharp eye .
    After all , Her eye-shape is sharp So she look different then other girl .
    Many Popular Anime girl has sharp yet big eye like Miette ! Example - Hinagiku Katsura & Haruhi Suzumiya.

I think , Anybody is free to chose Miette ! Since Serena isn't main character of the show , She's just a cast character .
    Ash still can end up with Anybody ! Even if its Misty , Dawn , Anabel , Angie , Serena or Miette .

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    ^ Or Latias, or Paul, or Cilan

Just for the sake of chaos, I want her to return and manage to get Serena insanely jealous. That would totally make the premise for my Grey's Anatomy-tier episode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back