• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the legal age for marriage be raised?

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, exactly why I answered in my law homework that the minimum amount of time together in the same household before allowing to become married should be two years xD so you experience this stuff and know how your partner is going to react to certain situations.

Someone you know might react shockingly to pressure and other bad situations :s They might also be terrible with cash. Who knows? Ya need to be together a long time in the same place first to know.

Exactly. Even if you may know that person for years. Being with them 'together' is not the same as actually living together. You can be with someone for years, but the moment you live with them things so downhill. I'll agree that there should be some minimum amount living together before considering such an important step.

/is not a romantic person, so would want to make sure if her partner can handle not being romantic every single second before even thinking on something such a serious as marriage.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Not always, though. Sometimes, living together goes really smoothly. There are some issues here and there, but they're generally small and resolved quickly - if not, there's some problems with the relationship :\

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Not always, though. Sometimes, living together goes really smoothly. There are some issues here and there, but they're generally small and resolved quickly - if not, there's some problems with the relationship :\

And that is when it's safe to take the next step. But if you start living together and nothing happens but constant whining, arguments, and other such things, then it's time to quit. Living together is... kind of like a test as to see if you really should get together 'forever'.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I'm a 22-year-old loner and am seeking neither love or sex at this time in my life, so take my post with a grain of salt if you will due to lack of any experience whatsoever in the field. XD

I have a couple of friends who fell in love in high school and proceeded to marry at the young age of 18-21. I rarely keep in touch with them, but whenever I do hear from them, it's obvious that they're still deeply in love and happy together.

I have a cousin who is the same age as me who just got married last weekend to her long-time boyfriend and the love they showed for eachother in their eyes was about as genuine as you can get, even though they've been through a lot...having a kid, him losing his job, her having to drop out of school...etc...

The point is, when marriage is done out of love, regardless of age, it is sure to be everlasting. A more tragic example would be my parents. They married rather young (my mom was 23 and my dad was 26), but they loved eachother. Fast-forward twenty-four years, and they've divorced for their own personal reasons and my mother moved to California and my father is in jail, but whenever I communicate with either of them, they will tell me that they've "found themselves" and realized how much they still love the other...fully intending to resume married life after this situation is behind them. Even though they divorced two years ago, they will still refer to the other as their spouse. XD

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
That's nice Timbjerr :D It's nice to see happy couples everywhere. I don't see'em often enough; my small city of birth is filled with teenaged mothers and junkies :\ and tons of drama. Tons. My mother's side of the family is famous in-town for being troublemakers and druggies.

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
My parents seem to have a good relation until a few years ago, but after hearing their backstory they never really loved eachother - they only married for the sake of [coughmecough]. It's probably where I'm getting half of what I think now, because I don't want to make the same mistake.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
My parents seem to have a good relation until a few years ago, but after hearing their backstory they never really loved eachother - they only married for the sake of [coughmecough]. It's probably where I'm getting half of what I think now, because I don't want to make the same mistake.

No offence to you xD since you seem like a good addition to society, but why did they have a kid if they didn't love each other o0 Perhaps that's my "sexual affairs with only one person in a life-time since it's very, very important and sacred" value talking, but I don't get it o-o

Years
Yeah, I mean my boyfriend's parents have like, a 15 year age gap, and they're fine. They've been married for like 20 years or something, and their in their 50's and 60's.

I see no problem with marriage at any age really as long as the couple are smart about it, actually in love and DO want to be together forever. Plus, I don't see people as genders or ages really, so I don't see the problem with an 18 year old marrying or gay marriage or anything.

Honest

Hi!
Years
My answer might be biased, since I'm with the girl of my dreams, just so you know.

No, I think 18 is perfectly fine. 25 is a long while if your sure that your with that special someone, and I personally would hate to wait.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Regarding Yusshin, one must also take into account her religion before calling "pedo" and "too young to marry." I'm assuming that from the mentioning of Allah in her signature that she's Muslim, or some denomination of the Islamic religion. I'm almost certain that their are several occasions where men would marry and divorce girls who were not yet at the age of sexual maturity in the Qur'an (And this is an extreme, making her relationship much more "normal" by comparison). Before you judge her relationship, understand that her religious values are slightly different than the generic Christian American values many of us were taught. Many wouldn't bat an eyelash at the age difference in traditional Muslim societies.

And my comment wasn't intended as offensive. I know people get touchy when religion is thrown into a conversation. I myself am Roman Catholic, but I make it a point to research other faiths in depth. I'm not a blind follower, and it's nice to get a different perspective every once in a while.

ヴェントゥス

キーブレード
Years
I think 18 isn't the right age. It's too young, it's the age of actually stepping out into the world. I'm 19, and I'm not even close to being ready to take that step, sure I want to get married, but when i feel like I'm ready, and the girl is ready. 18 seems too young for my book.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
Years

Unless the parents are fine with it.

My parents were fine with it. A 16-year-old and a 23-year-old doesn't happen often, but in this case, anyone under 19 I deemed immature and disgusting. I don't believe in dating in highschool. I don't believe in sexual affairs with more than one person in a lifetime. It's very sacred; age is but a number, unless it becomes extreme, like 25 and 12. That's just wrong. 16 and 23 is fine, though, and although a lot of people would disagree, many would agree, too.

I'm 17 currently; he's 24. He'll be 25 in June, and I, 18 in October. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Zettu:

It's a serious relationship; we don't find strip clubs or bars "thrilling" or "fun". Our values are against it. A nice movie or a walk is much more fun :]

Forever:

I don't see why one should wait; we'll get married eventually, and that's a fact. Why wait until 22 when we can just do it when I turn 18? It's not "rushing"; it's merely getting something that's inevitable out of the way.

I think you're under-estimating the perfection of our togetherness :< but it's to be expected, since not many couples like us exist anymore. We're very "old-fashioned" with our values and morals, and that's what really helps to perfect us.
I'm sorry to say, but you're still a girl. So many things may change in your mind as you grow up.

I'm not against the RIGHT of getting married once you are older than 18, but I would highly suggest anyone not to.

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013

No offence to you xD since you seem like a good addition to society, but why did they have a kid if they didn't love each other o0 Perhaps that's my "sexual affairs with only one person in a life-time since it's very, very important and sacred" value talking, but I don't get it o-o

Oh, they loved eachother, but I don't think they both loved eachother enough to actually get married other than for my sake. (let's say I was an accident? XD ). In fact my parents had an argument right before I was born, so my dad isn't even listed as my dad on my Birth Certificate.

DragonRush

Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2010
Getting married young is fine if your prepared to get married financially and mentally but lets face it, what 18 year old owns his/her own company, or is starting a career and can support there spouse and kids if need be. It just wouldn't make sense for some people to get married so young. Would an 18 year old really want to spend the rest of their living years with one person. This is probably why divorce is almost certain these days. It's like people now get married with the expectation of getting divorced it's ridiculous.

Infernape

fire power!
Years
She's 22. You're 16.

You've been with her for four years...?

brb, math

When you started dating, you were 12, and she was 18 WUT?

Sidenote, on pedophilia, incorrect. It is not pedophilia, it is ephebophilia.

What? I'm 20, I'll be 21 saturday. I was saying 16 is too young to be thinking about marrage

Back