• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should We Have a Light-Type?

Should We Have a Light-Type?

• Total voters

AuroraHearts

Noob Master
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    i say yes...

because without light, you could not have dark...
    that and also because god said so :3

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I voted no. I just don't think it's necessary. At this point, all it would do is mess up the balance we already have established with all the other types.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    i say yes...

Haha, fyi, Satan is the Angel of Light just in case you didn't know, but beyond that! :P

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • No. There hasn't ever been any new types released I don't think. Plus we already have 493 Poke'mon. There isn't any need for a new type in my opinion. (:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I honestly don't care either way. It might be cool -- I don't see what would be so horrible about it. But I don't exactly see the point of it either. But to be honest, if they introduced a new type, it wouldn't make things any harder. After you get used to the game, you get pretty familiar with the types. I've never found remembering the combinations hard, really.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    i say yes...

Would you like to live in a world where Espeon was a light type? I'd hate it...

-Psychic pretty much fills the role of light, and they use their psychic powers to mess with Fighting's bwains.

-Darkness shades the light away.

-Fighting uses Low Kick to kick darkness's butt.

-Light comes in as the "fifth wheel" and kicks Psychic and Darkness back to the stone age. Barely affects fighting. Fighting can't attack it. I mean, ever tried to attack light with your fists?
    XD

Silver_Seoul

Hey there. :)
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    Actually, Code, I have. x)

I punched my lamp because it wouldn't turn on. Bad idea. Also, turned out it had just been unplugged. ^__^;

To answer the polls question, no. Fighting/Psychic are already the "Light Types." Dark was introduced to rule out the Psychic's broken advantages of Generation 1, and Fighting is strong against Dark. I think it's generally seen that Dark types fight unfairly, seen through their moves such as Thief, Snatch, and Beat up, as opposed to the Fighting Type battling honorably. Or something like that. :P

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • If they do, it would be worst idea since Rhyperior. Its not called for and it really doesn't accomplish anything. I mean Normal is close enough to Light-Type, lets just leave it at that. Why add another type to make the metagame more of a clustermuck? Its fine as it is, GameFreak should learn something, which quite frankly I don't think they have learned yet, "if its not broke, don't fix it." Steel and Dark we necessary because Psychic and Ghost-types were too strong in Gen1, so they had to balance it out and add in some resists/counters, but no type is really broken anymore, in-game or otherwise, so why would Light-Type be so good?

The answer:
    Spoiler:

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
  • I think a light type is way to unnecessary. Therefore it would not be a good idea to add 1 more type to the other 17 types when they should have kept the normal type out anyway. 16 types is all that's necessary.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    "They type chart is already perfect."
    Yeah, because the Steel type isn't overpowered at all :/
    Poison types are only strong against grass, and ice types only resist themselves. I'd hate to see what is imperfect if that's perfect to you.

I think light represents divinity, and I have yet to see a pokemon that actually compels me to believe that it is holy.
    No other pokemon fits divinity; and honestly, normal fits light? I fail to see how that works. Don't try to bring up the "it's not logical" card, because if anything, light is more of a type than dragon is.

It would be a bit confusing to see how it works at first, but I actually support the idea since I can actually remember one extra type and find it a logical choice should they have any actual holy being in Black/White.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • We really dont have a need for another type, but I would think it would be pretty cool. Light vs Dark, makes sense right? Psychic vs Dark, doesnt make any sense seeing that psychic has no effect on dark types.

Shuckleman

The Awesome
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    My ideas

OK, so light moves would be super effective to dark type pokemon, dark would be super effective to light type pokemon, light would also be weak to poison, and poison weak to light.

This sound like it could work.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • Here is what I have so far...

There are moves that involve light as purely something that provides illumination. As stated before, we already have aroura beam, mirror shot, doom desire, sunlight, sunny day, spark, flash, etc... They all involve, in some way, providing illumination to the battle. However, we have not addressed another problem.

Dark-type is not solely taking illumination away, it's using cheap-tricks and cheating to get what you want. I've looked over the entire list of moves for dark-type, and there is no move that involves taking illumination away. They are all tricks and forms of cheating that would normally be looked down on, such as taunting(Torment & Taunt), ganging up on someone(Beat Up), stealing their items(Thief), or striking them when they're not looking(Night Slash).

People are looking at Light-type and thinking it's a type for illumination, others look at it and see angels, holiness, and all that is 'good'. Light-type is a really good idea, but it might not be necessary. We already have a type that looks at the altruistic and harmonic views of battling, such as making your foe fall in love with you(Attract), charming your opponent(Charm), asking kindly for their item(Covet), and showing their affection to their trainer by battling as hard as they can(Return). We can might as well have a new type for this, and it will probably come along with another type to balance out the chart in case Light-type tips it off.

champ4life

currently failing
    Years
  • The Light type would probably be...

RESISTANT TO

Dark
    Poison
    Fight
    Ghost

WEAK TO

Fire
    Water
    Grass
    (Idk I though that mabye it doesnt like destroying elemants. :|

THis is only if Light Type means Anti-Evil

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Okay, I'm torn between both sides... :\ :\ :\

There are many pros of a Light type! :) For example, many Pokemon such as Illumise and Volbeat could easily become the light type. :P Plus, there is a dark type, so why not a light type? :\ it's only fair! :)

On the other side, we already have 17 types! :O Plus, some of them are unnecessary, like rock and ground could easily become Earth. :\

But a cosmic/lunar type would be great, y/n? :D :D :D :D :D

Esmas

General
    Years
  • It would be cool, but it would throw competitive battling quite off balance. As long as it's as rare and "sacred" as the Dragon-type was, then it would be fine imo.

Back