• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
    You know i havent seen any new 5th gen pokemon and at least one should have appeared during the Shaymin movie. Remember, Azurill and Keckleon were introduced in Pkmn 4ever's short and Munchlax appeared in the Deoxys movie. Shaymin's movie or the anime should have debuted a 5th gen pokemon already.

PS: Maybe give Ash some random Pokemon that will evolve in the later region, one that everyone hates. Or maybe give Ash some Scyther Pre evo (cause Ash desperately needs a steel type and Scyther a pre-evo) .

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    he does need a steel, yes... either way i like how teh show is now, as long as they remove some fillers that really make ash look like an idiot.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    wee187 said:
    either way i like how teh show is now, as long as they remove some fillers that really make ash look like an idiot.
    In a way Ash needed to be "an idiot" of sorts to grow into his more mature and dulled self later on. But I feel when his mature self is overaccentuated that it sort of removes the mingy, more raw, and rough dynamic and undertone he once had and makes him seem a little less dimensional than he could be. And while I like his Pikachu a lot that's become a beef I have with his Pikachu - it's become too much background or just too... seated in impact and flamboyance. I feel the attention to character should be split - Ash shouldn't seem too mature and too great but he shouldn't be repeating the fouls he did earlier on, either.

In short, I'd like to see the evolution of the character and how he relates to his Pokémon but not so much so that it makes Ash seem like he can do now wrong in overtones and is that "scrupulous" (or, rather, without ambiguity).

Last edited:

Mateus_

Retired Hunter.
    Years
    I think they should make some episodes only with other trainers like a friend of ash or something...
    but never delete ash!!!

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    Make something a little different please...
    The DP-Story is almost identical to the AG-Story X_x
    And why does all Pokemon just stand still while you hear the annoying Pokdex voice describing it. And ash don't seem to have really realized that you CAN'T CATCH A FAINTED POKEMON!!!

Team Rocket is much better, but thier old Motto was better that the new, "Team Rocket... IN YOUR FACE!" lol, the EP-AG motto was MUCH better.
    And, no one (except for Jessie, but she doesn't care about the rules anyways...) owns a Pokemon that existed in Hoenn, just to make GBA Players enough Jealous at them to buy a DS, and more money to Nintendo...

Years
    I think they should make a new series except the main character will actually catch pokemon as s/he comes to them.

I wouldn't mind having Ash in a different role (non main character) like someone you may see in the journey/see in trouble times (ie say Kyogre and Groudon fighting each other similer to Pokemon Emerald) and perhaps have him in championships.

or something like that at least

Years
    Ash should be a lesser character. I know Pokemon Chronicles attempted this feat, but I do not know how a lot of the community feel about those episodes.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Brock or a character that we don't see enough of. I mean we have seen him a lot in the anime, but he is usually hiding while Ash has the limelight.

We cannot fully get rid of Ash.. but I was sort of hoping he would say yes to that offer he was made in ' Pace - The Final Frontier'. We wouldn't see him as often, but the odd meantion would be nice a bit like Misty, unseen but not forgotten.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    empress_donna said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing more of Brock or a character that we don't see enough of. I mean we have seen him a lot in the anime, but he is usually hiding while Ash has the limelight.
    If anything Brock has stolen the limelight on one occasion too many, and that's escalated into all sorts of sordid notions that have been funny by not being funny IMO. Brock needs to do something other than his expected repetition. Otherwise, I don't see why the writers are a stickler for keeping him around (though what the writers want is what the writers want... but even then, explanations are always engaging), and his character is sort of adverse in the way of Ash growing anyway.

And though I don't find it too intriguing I'd like to see Brock finally meet someone he's romantically attracted to and stay the course with that someone. It's almost like his search for a girlfriend has killed that search. I'd also like to see Brock fulfill his goal of becoming a greater Pokémon breeder. That aside, as said I'm not sick of Ash. But I would want to see him follow another joist, so long as it blends well with his character.

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Ash is great and I wouldn't want to see his journey end too soon...plus I believe ash will be the center character until pokemon ceases to exist...which I don't blame the writers for doing that at all...we've all grown up with ash since he started his journey...don't you think we should at least see him become what he wants to achieve, which is a Pokemon Master?

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    You know what? I'm not sick of Ash. Ash s awesome. He's got the best rival in the world, has some pretty cool company (if we forget about May) and he's been there and done that.
    Seriously, can you think of another main character that'd go better than Ash? I think not!

Dragonair_Blizzard

Random person in the universe
    Years
    Well, I am sick of Ash a bit cause of his attitude and almost impossible wins. I want to see a Season on another character.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Impossible wins? Have you seen the Melissa gym battle? It's great and they shown him traning about 5 episodes before for it in the hour special

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Impossible wins? Have you seen the Melissa gym battle? It's great and they shown him traning about 5 episodes before for it in the hour special

Ok, but the majority of the Gyms that he won in Hoenn were cheap. I mean, I can understand those wins if he used his Kanto, or heck, even Johto team against them (and in the case of Pikachu, win with ACTUAL skill than just recharge batteries in ways impossible and going "Hyper Mode" on us.), but his wins against Roxanne, Brawly, Wattson, Norman, Winona, and Tate/Lisa are extremely cheap/pathetic.

First off, Roxanne, Pikachu may be the most experienced of Ash's group, but how he won was still terrible. I mean, Pikachu absorbed Nosepass's Second Hyperbeam, and then rejuvenated it's strength?! COME ON!! Plus, if it was able to be taken down easily by an Iron tail, why didn't Ash just try that in the first place?!

Brawly, So Treecko was able to beat your Hariyama just by pounding it's foot and then pounding it afterwards, take it down in one hit?! Treecko may be strong for it's species, but that does NOT mean that it was supposed to beat it in a one-hit-ko fashion.

Wattson, don't need to explain it, as people should be familiar about Ash's win against him.

Norman, Look, Grovyle may have been using Overgrow, and it may have already evolved, but it's win against Slaking does not make any sense. I mean, I can understand if it used multiple Leaf-Blades against it, but it used only one and Slaking fainted, not really a believable win, especially since Grovyle's health was already in jeporady anyways.

Winona, Ash's swellow was taking a large beating against Winona's Swellow, it was nearly about to faint, and yet it was able to beat Winona's Swellow with one Steel Wing?! I still think that that's a very unbelievable win. Heck, it even was called foul on places such as GameFAQs of all places.

Tate/Lisa, Well, you already know about Thunder Armor, so I'm not even going to bother.

Not only were these battle finishes nonsensical and Deus Ex Machina, but it made the Hoenn Gym Leaders in question seem like Joke opponents of JJM's Caliber. I mean, Ash barely even broke a sweat with his new team in regards to the GLs (they should have at least given him some sort of challenge.), so if he won with inexperienced pokemon THAT easily, then the Gym Leaders shouldn't even be labeled as being the strong, experienced trainers that they were made out to be.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I don't use the set rulings and parameters games as a template by which to judge the quality of the anime. I'd say it's made for more entertainment than scrutiny. But yes, I feel Ash can stay. Some may say he's arrogant and has an ego but I wouldn't say it's arrogance as much as indulging in choosing firmly (which is what I see "ego" to be - choosing and selecting). Plus, his more dulling maturity later on works well with his initial impulsiveness for me (since we're imposing on his persona and speaking of that). I also rather like the relationship Ash has with Pokémon, though I do admit that Pikachu doesn't feel as dimensional but rather just a background by comparison to the earlier seasons, but that's just extending the shell life of the Pokémon in my view (which is a preset I feel is broken by the writers rather than the character itself). I like Pikachu and Ash nontheless.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't use the set rulings and parameters games as a template by which to judge the quality of the anime. I'd say it's made for more entertainment than scrutiny. But yes, I feel Ash can stay. Some may say he's arrogant and has an ego but I wouldn't say it's arrogance as much as indulging in choosing firmly (which is what I see "ego" to be - choosing and selecting). Plus, his more dulling maturity later on works well with his initial impulsiveness for me (since we're calling his persona into question). I also rather like the relationship Ash has with Pokémon, though I do admit that Pikachu doesn't feel as dimensional but rather just a background by comparison to the earlier seasons, but that's just extending the shell life of the Pokémon in my view (which is a preset I feel is broken by the writers rather than the character itself). I like Pikachu and Ash nontheless.

If you were referring to my comment as to his cheap wins against the Hoenn Gym Leaders, I wasn't even thinking of the Games when I said that (In fact, I think of the Game's version of the Gym Leaders as being more incompetant than the Anime Gym Leaders.). I was referring to the fact that how he won was completely badly-done and unrealistic, even by this shows standards. I mean, you have to admit that, even with the Anime, the way the majority of the Gym Leaders in Hoenn were portrayed was more like joke opponents.

I mean, if Ash's barely even experienced pokemon could beat them outright, then what's the point in even challenging them? I mean, Badge or not, it seems like watching him beat the Hoenn Gym Leaders is like watching him and the main cast defeat JJM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back