• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
    Years
    Ice Fang is a 65 BP weak non-STABed attack, which adds up to about 130 BP to Tangrowth which obviously is a physical wall.

In that same respect, Fire Fang for Garchomp is only for Bronzong/Skarmory, while Outrage will do more to Tangrowth/Celebi (130 BP vs. 180 BP).
    Agreeing with Mag, Tangrowth has no reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed/Synthesis, which hinders it whereas Celebi has Recover. Celebi also can Reflect as well, which is a plus but requires you to either sacrifice one of your attacks or Leech Seed.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Fire Blast is REALLY rare on Garchomp though, and I do happen to have Cresselia or Mesprit to back it up.

EDIT: Missed Aquilae's post. Thanks guys ;)

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I also need a defensive EV spread for Resttalk Machamp. Smogon's seems overly simplistic to me and Machamp is the only thing even close to beating Tyranitar on my team, so I kinda need some EVs and natures and stuff. I already have the set though.

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    Fire Blast is REALLY rare on Garchomp though, and I do happen to have Cresselia or Mesprit to back it up.

I'm pretty sure Fire Blast is the preferred Fire move on ScarfChomp. Since Fire Fang's nothing to boost it, Fire Blast is better for taking on Skarmory and Bronzong and the like. It also works well against Tangrowth. =P

I also need a defensive EV spread for Resttalk Machamp. Smogon's seems overly simplistic to me and Machamp is the only thing even close to beating Tyranitar on my team, so I kinda need some EVs and natures and stuff. I already have the set though.

You pretty much need 252/252 Impish to not be 2HKO'd by CB Earthquake (including Sandstorm, which goes before Leftovers), and that's not counting possible Stealth Rocks and such. =P Generally, use Machamp to switch into Tar's STABs and have something else to eat Earthquakes. About 72 EVs in Defense with Adamant is usually enough to not be 2HKO'd by CBStone Edge, assuming no prior damage, anyhow. If you pack Impish and 84, you can survive Sandstorm, Stealth Rock, and two max-power Stone Edges with about one HP remaining (Assuming what I've heard on the game rounding things down is right). And that's really about as much as Machamp needs to handle with Tar. I still kinda advise you find a backup in case Machamp dies, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Uhm, yeah. I'm trying to EV train for this first time and I have a couple options open to me with all sorts of problems...

Option 1: I have two 'EV ready' Pokemon (Totodile and Cyndaquil) with decent natures (used smogon :/). Totodile has Adamant and I was thinking about using him with Dragon Dance, should I? With Cyndaquil (Mild nature) I was going to do the Choice Scarf option... but realized I had no idea what I was doing with that... so I'm stuck on this option, Should I keep both and attempt to do the Choice Scarf?

Option 2: I was going to rebreed Totodile and Cyndaquil for better natures (Jolly and Timid or Modest) and try the Swords Dance with Totodile and Sunnybeamer with Cyndaquil. A couple problems with that though, A.) I don't have Emerald available to get Ice Punch for Totodile and B.) I have no idea how to get the Hidden Powers. I'm leaning towards this option more, but can I do without Ice Punch and Hidden Power? If so, what moves should replace it?

Which option should I go with & how should I go about doing it?

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    So I was thinking about a Sceptile moveset today and I wanted some suggestions, mainly on the EVs-

Sceptile@Life Orb
    Overgrow
    Naive/Naughty
    EVs:???
    -Leaf Blade/Brick Break/Drain Punch?
    -HP [Fire]
    -Dragon Pulse
    -ThunderPunch

Yeah so suggestions, opinions, EVs? Any help is appreciated ^.^

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Sceptile is pretty frail to use physical moves without Swords Dance or Choice Band. I'd suggest you get a pure physical or pure special Sceptile.

Sceptile @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Overgrow
    Nature: Timid
    Evs: 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4HP
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Energy Ball / Grass Knot
    - Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power [ICE]

This is the Sceptile I have on my Shoddy Team. It rarely lets me down.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overgrow
    Nature: Naiive
    EVs: 252 Speed / 200 Defense / 56 HP
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Leaf Blade
    - Hidden Power [FIRE]

SubSeeder, though the PP for this strategy wears out pretty fast.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So I was thinking about a Sceptile moveset today and I wanted some suggestions, mainly on the EVs-

Sceptile@Life Orb
    Overgrow
    Naive/Naughty
    EVs:???
    -Leaf Blade/Brick Break/Drain Punch?
    -HP [Fire]
    -Dragon Pulse
    -ThunderPunch

Yeah so suggestions, opinions, EVs? Any help is appreciated ^.^

Sceptile doesnt do mixed well, its like lucario, either FULLY Physical or FULLY Special works best on it.

Sceptile@Choice Specs
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Grass Knot
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden power Fire / Focus Blast

Specs.

Sceptile@Life Orb
    252 ATT / 252 SPEED / 6 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Thunderpunch / Earthquake / Brick break
    - Swords Dance
    - Leaf Blade
    - Dragon Claw

Physical

Sceptile@leftovers
    56 HP / 200 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Energy Ball
    - hidden power Fire / Hidden power ice

= Evil !!

Xairmo

Years
    I kinda just wanted to try out a mixed Sceptile to see how it fairs, so what EVs would best fit a mixed one?

Xairmo

Years
    Idk, Im just tired of using the same sets as everyone else, I wanna try out my own little creation :D

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Uhm, yeah. I'm trying to EV train for this first time and I have a couple options open to me with all sorts of problems...

Option 1: I have two 'EV ready' Pokemon (Totodile and Cyndaquil) with decent natures (used smogon :/). Totodile has Adamant and I was thinking about using him with Dragon Dance, should I? With Cyndaquil (Mild nature) I was going to do the Choice Scarf option... but realized I had no idea what I was doing with that... so I'm stuck on this option, Should I keep both and attempt to do the Choice Scarf?

Option 2: I was going to rebreed Totodile and Cyndaquil for better natures (Jolly and Timid or Modest) and try the Swords Dance with Totodile and Sunnybeamer with Cyndaquil. A couple problems with that though, A.) I don't have Emerald available to get Ice Punch for Totodile and B.) I have no idea how to get the Hidden Powers. I'm leaning towards this option more, but can I do without Ice Punch and Hidden Power? If so, what moves should replace it?

Which option should I go with & how should I go about doing it?

Dragon Dance Feraligatr is pretty beastly, so I'd go with that. If you have WiFi, I can give you a Dragon Dance + Ice Punch Totodile, which you can use to breed on your Totodile.

As for Typhlosion, he works best as a Scarf starter, especially since that set doesn't require a Hidden Power (it's a huge pain to breed for HP- don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary). Go with that.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I do have Wi-Fi and it would be great if you could do that. If you need it back I will make the egg ASAP (10 minutes TOPS).

Thanks for the help AC :).

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
    Years
    I actually find that Feraligatr is just a worse Gyarados when using the DDing set, Gyarados demonstrates clear value over Feraligatr by having better stats all round.

I would recommend the SDing Feraligatr, but namely it should be Jolly.

Feraligatr @ Leftovers/Salac Berry
    Torrent
    Jolly, 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

Swords Dance
    Waterfall
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake

Alternatively you can use Return/Crunch over Ice Punch, and Substitute over Earthquake for a more conservative option.

This set takes in account the factors that differentiate Feraligatr from Gyarados, namely the less weaknesses and Torrent, allowing Feraligatr to gain an instant powerup to Waterfall.
    I'm still not a fan of Feraligatr, my main gripes with it is that its Attack and Speed are too low, mostly Speed which I find undesirable.

I agree with AC, Typhlosion works best as a Scarf starter given your nature.

The set is on Smogon just so you know, FP/Eruption/Overheat/EQ. I think that WoW is fairly useless, not many physical attackers would switch into Typhlosion anyways, and the ones that do shrug off status easily.

Xairmo

Years
    I actually have a "battle-ready" Feraligatr with Ice Punch + Dragon Dance if you want Ben

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back