• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    No problem, but AC brings up a good question: Is this for ingame or competative battle?

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    0.0 You need a better team dude. Mixape takes out 4/6 of your team and if you switch in either Infernape or Toxicroak on an attack, they die.

Three starters doesn't really work out. Torterra's role is redundant, I'd go with Celebi if you can get it. If you want Torterra, use the Leech Seed set on Smogon. Glalie and Noctowl are fail. I strongly suggest you get something better. Hippowdon should lead, and you should replace Toxicroak with Garchomp. Empoleon could be replaced with Vaporeon for Mixape counter and Wish support.

Hippowdon/Garchomp/Infernape/Vaporeon/Celebi or Torterra/Filler (NOT Noctowl or Glalie) Mamoswine perhaps?

I oughta beat you down with a stick for saying that, KingTtar. Three starters nothing, they serve completely different roles, so even Nape, Meganium, & Swampert can work out. Celebi & Torterra are two completely different pokes, fufilling similar roles differently. You need to know more about the pokemon you are discrediting before you discredit them. Torterra works pretty good with Choice Band, and he is an awesome tank. STAB Wood Hammer & Earthquake, Leech Seed, immunity to Sandstorm. Sure, 4x ice weakness, but that's popular with many pokes. I dno't even know what you mean, "Torterra's role is redundant.

As for Noctowl, she is great for support. Let's see, the set I run.

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Nature:Calm
    Hypnosis
    Reflect/Roost
    Whirlwind
    Night Shade
    EV: 252 HP, 168 Sp.Def, 86 Def

Takes skill to use it. In fact, this is why people made me play with Sleep Clause.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    D:

I oughta beat you down with a stick for saying that, KingTtar.

D:

Three starters nothing, they serve completely different roles, so even Nape, Meganium, & Swampert can work out.

Those are three examples of starters that work well in unison. Torterra/Empoleon/Infernape don't do too well in my opinion. Infernape is usually the starter of choice in competative battles.

Celebi & Torterra are two completely different pokes, fufilling similar roles differently. You need to know more about the pokemon you are discrediting before you discredit them.

They DO fulfill their roles differently. But if you saw someone using Steelix; would you reccomend Skarmory or not? I would; less weaknesses and does Steelix's job similarly. I say Celebi outperforms Torterra for his team.

Torterra works pretty good with Choice Band, and he is an awesome tank. STAB Wood Hammer & Earthquake, Leech Seed, immunity to Sandstorm. Sure, 4x ice weakness, but that's popular with many pokes. I dno't even know what you mean, "Torterra's role is redundant.

I used redundant? xD Must've made a typo, I meant uneeded. Hippowdon can tank and since Celebi can wall and has instant recovery, it can last much longer and doesn't have that 4x ice weakness.

As for Noctowl, she is great for support. Let's see, the set I run.

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Nature:Calm
    Hypnosis
    Reflect/Roost
    Whirlwind
    Night Shade
    EV: 252 HP, 168 Sp.Def, 86 Def

Takes skill to use it. In fact, this is why people made me play with Sleep Clause.

That does look quite scary.

sims796

Years
    D:

Those are three examples of starters that work well in unison. Torterra/Empoleon/Infernape don't do too well in my opinion. Infernape is usually the starter of choice in competative battles.

Who cares? It they differ in role. They don't match in this team, but they certainly don't harm each other in any major way.

They DO fulfill their roles differently. But if you saw someone using Steelix; would you reccomend Skarmory or not? I would; less weaknesses and does Steelix's job similarly. I say Celebi outperforms Torterra for his team.

It depends on the team. Skarmory doesn't have an immunity to electric, powerful STAB, etc. It depends on the team, and I don't see what Celebi can offer.

I used redundant? xD Must've made a typo, I meant uneeded. Hippowdon can tank and since Celebi can wall and has instant recovery, it can last much longer and doesn't have that 4x ice weakness.

Does it have STAB EQ? Can it use Wood Hammer? Is it immune to T-Wave? Is it an effecient Choice Bander? Is it scary to switch into? It is not the best, it is different. Let that be the case, every team that has Tangrowth should also use Celebi.

Even then, you don't bring up much of a point. If that is the case, only one poke would be used for every team. He doesn't have Hippowdon, he has Torterra. You also forget that Celebi also has that Pursuit weakness, also weak to Ice, awful with CB, has 7 weaknesses. It's not the best physical tank, it's different. There is nothing wrong with Torterra. If we wen;t by that logic, no one would use Snorlax, cause there's Blissey. But wait, she can't Curse, or EQ, or Fire Punch, or Crunch, etc. Saying "I would replace Torterra for Celebi on every team" is very amateurish, to say the least. Not that you are, mind you, you seem very good, but hey, that's an amateurish thing to say.

Last edited:
    Years
    (Edited for recycling)
    EDIT: Noctowl wants Arms and Seismic Toss just because it wants that IMO. :D Yeah, I must admit now, it's rather hard to take down but IMO, it must have Roost or it can't take hits after a while (random Non-STABed Thunderbolts from say, Gardevoir or something like ) and o_O That's Smogon's set except the EVs are altered and you say you might use Reflect > Roost which is a no-no although I don't care :D Now, I just like nagging about Owls and things. :D

Last edited:

sims796

Years
    A Noctowl is trash even with Night Shade, 68 Defense EVs still makes things lol at its Defense. 70% Accuracy is scary either and things can use Rest-Talk (Snorlax :D) and negate Sleep's effect, making you unable to move. Normal types also lol at that and Snorlax pummels you without Reflect, which makes you lose your only reliable recovery on that set if you use Reflect. Honestly, that thing is weak and is unreliable at lasting long. :(

Really? Base 100 HP makes up for that, along with Reflect. It also has Air Slash, but let's ignore that. Rest Talkers negate all sorts of sleep, from everything, so discrediting her on that is nothing more than an insult to the proud owl. 96 SP.DEF along with 100 base HP is the main focus, not taking physical attacks, which it can actually do, not that it is meant too. It isn't meant for taking Snorlax, to even say that makes no sense. Anything it can't take gets blown away, racking in additional damage. Your reasons also makes no sense. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's certainly isn't the worst.

70% Acurracy, huh? Know how many things rely on that? That is the most used Sleep move, works on them. Take it from someone who uses it on their team for quite a while.

EDIT:Even those reasons are very stupid. Very little can even take an NP Psychic from Azelf, and It can survive, with not much hassle, an NP Flamethrower from Ninetales. You're giving very shabby reaons for knocking Towl, stating only the cons, which still, it can easily avoid. Do we hate Blissey for being Hera-weak?

EDIT2:Night Shade is meant to be a defensive manuver, in case it has to fight back against SPECIAL ATTACKERS, NOT DAG-ON SNORLAX! Why would she even fight Snorlax? Along with the fact that not every set is Sleep Talk. But that's besides the point. Her typing isn't the best, but certainly has possibilities. Switching in on EQ or Shadow Ball, or ANY sleep move, with Insomnia, makes it very viable. She survives much, with BASE 100 HP, which you seem to ignore, along with base 96 sp.def, which I've mentioned.

(Edited for recycling)
    EDIT: Noctowl wants Arms and Seismic Toss just because it wants that IMO. :D Yeah, I must admit now, it's rather hard to take down but IMO, it must have Roost or it can't take hits after a while (random Non-STABed Thunderbolts from say, Gardevoir or something like ) and o_O That's Smogon's set except the EVs are altered and you say you might use Reflect which is a no-no. Now, I just like nagging about Owls and things. :D

Why did you edit instead of just post?

Anyway, I used to run Noctowl without Roost at all. It isn't absolutely necessary for it's role. It is a great supporter, especially in UU. I just don't like people giving half arsed reasons for bashing something down. No offense, of course, to you & King Ttar.

EDIT:And that is my set, that I have been using since before I heard of Smogon, just a coincidence. If that is the case, Blissey SUCKS against Gengar, since Seismec Toss misses, and it gets 2HKO'ed by Focus Blast.

Last edited:
    Years
    Its manily in game but when i ship them over to pearl i will use them in pokemon battle revolution and online battles but they will be in completely Teams when i do that so right know the team is just in game

I know this is completly different then what i was talking about last time is Yammaga good because i like the look of it and i hered it is strong

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I know this is completly different then what i was talking about last time is Yammaga good because i like the look of it and i hered it is strong

He's pretty cool. He makes a powerful lead, and can sweep pretty well once Blissey is out of the way. Speed Boost is one of the best abilities ever, too.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    Yanmega is Awesome! I've used one with great success.

Yanmega@Focus Sash
    Modest
    Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    HP [Ice/Electric]/Hypnosis
    Protect
    Bug Buzz
    Air Slash

Years
    One more Question to any one right after i beat team galactic i saved before diagla and i want a shiney so i keep restarting it and how long in a estimate dose it take

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    One more Question to any one right after i beat team galactic i saved before diagla and i want a shiney so i keep restarting it and how long in a estimate dose it take

Theoretically, you'll get it once out of every 8192 or so soft-resets. Of course, luck doesn't work totally like that, so you could see two shiny Dialga back-to-back, but the odds for that are even more outlandish. Basically, you'll need patience for this one.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Yanmega is Awesome! I've used one with great success.

Yanmega@Focus Sash
    Modest
    Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    HP [Ice/Electric]/Hypnosis
    Protect
    Bug Buzz
    Air Slash
    Eww. Focus Sash. There are way too many Hippowdons and even more Tyranitars to ruin that strategy. Abomasnow is less common, but still appears from time to time. I prefer mine with Choice Specs. It needs spinning too. :>

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Theoretically, you'll get it once out of every 8192 or so soft-resets. Of course, luck doesn't work totally like that, so you could see two shiny Dialga back-to-back, but the odds for that are even more outlandish. Basically, you'll need patience for this one.

It's possible. I got a Shiny Palkia that way. =/

Eww. Focus Sash. There are way too many Hippowdons and even more Tyranitars to ruin that strategy. Abomasnow is less common, but still appears from time to time. I prefer mine with Choice Specs. It needs spinning too. :>

A lead with Protect using Choice Specs? Eww, Life Orb please.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    For Yanmega, I actually use Wide Lens. Hypnosis' and Air Slash's accuracy iffs me, and with Sandstorm as common as ever, losing 16% HP per turn due to Life Orb is not of my likings.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    It does make a difference. Maybe not huge, but big enough to justify its use.

I suppose you have never missed that one crucial Hypnosis that cost you the game before, have you?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    It does make a difference. Maybe not huge, but big enough to justify its use.

I suppose you have never missed that one crucial Hypnosis that cost you the game before, have you?

We've all missed that cruial move, you just have to get on with it. These things happen, wide lense doesnt help too much. The boost is minimal, less than 10% is hardly an improvement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back