• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
Years
  • Good question, simple answer: Choice items give an INSTANT boost without a turn to set up. This means that you won't eat a Surf before you get hit, or in Gengar's case, won't eat a Weavile Pursuit before you Focus Blast/Hypnosis it.

Sometimes things like Weavile don't have time to get a Swords Dance in, so pop on a Choice Band and smack somethin hard.

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • So why do people even use Choice Items? D:

With Dragon Dance you need one turn to setup. And that turn can be crucial or just very rare. Not to mention you lose your boosts upon switching.

With Choice items, you also get one more moveslot for coverage, which is important on some Pokémon. And not all creatures get Dragon Dance and etc.

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
    Years
  • The type of weather does not necessarily decide the "strength" of the team, especially not when Hail and Sandstorm are two completely different weathers and employ different strategies.

To be honest, any team with Tyranitar/Hippowdon is a Sandstorm team, so you should elaborate more on it.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    NO one answer my question so im just going to ask again any one got a good move set for aipom Evolves

Ambipom@Choice Band
    252 ATT / 252 SPEED / 6 HP
    Jolly nature
    Trait : Technician
    - Brick break / Focus Punch
    - Payback
    - Return / Double Hit
    - U-Turn / Fake Out / Fire Punch

Hothead, if you'd like an answer, please ask your question in Strategies/Movesets. I was wondering if a Hail Team would work better than a Sandstorm team if the Pokemon were given the correct items?

Wait....what ?

I think ya mean, "Request a Team/Individual moveset" thread ? =p

Yeah, post stuff like that there next time please.

Core-3X

New starter today
    Years
  • Hothead, if you'd like an answer, please ask your question in Strategies/Movesets. I was wondering if a Hail Team would work better than a Sandstorm team if the Pokemon were given the correct items?

Both teams can be very annoying, but Sandstormteams are much more common then Hail teams, and that is the advantage. Also, sandstorm is resisted by may pokemon. The advantage to Sandstormteams is, that there is a large choice of pokemon you use, by a Hail team, there is a very limited choice (if you don't use 'normal' pokemon with leftovers). Personally, I like more Sandstormteams, because I have made one by myself.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2008
    EV training fails, help

Is it me or does EV training not work?
    I i have a shieldon lv.20 that i was trying to EV train. It has the Pokerus and i gave it one of the braces you buy at the battle tower. I put it first in my party and i was only fighting the same pokemon over and over until i gained a level. And you know what i got...only 3...what the hek is up with that? I saved before i did the training, so i restarted and used a rare candy, and i got up the exact same stat up points. My brother tried EV training to and it doesn't work..is there something we're doing wrong?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    It's just you.

You don't get all of the stat boost at once. The bonus points show up over time, and you do not see the full effect until the Pokemon is level 100 (or in a LV. 100 battle on Wi-Fi).

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • It's like Icha says. =O Even with maximal EVs in a stat, the total bonus from those EVs is 63 points, meaning an extra point to the stat at roughly two out of three level ups. The only reason you're getting that +3 is the catch-up effect (I.e. the game pooling in the gradual increases that would have been applied for the remaining 20 levels the pokémon has under its belt); just be patient and you should see the results in due time.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2008
    so how does it work? i really don't undertand. Using rare candies makes me gain the same points as if i were to just train normally.

On youtube some guy was explaining how it works and he got 10+ ever time he leveled up. (he leveled up 5 times) I battled like alot of geodudes plus i got the pokerus and the brace yet it makes no difference.

I need a fully explanation on how it works. i read on serebii and watched the guy do it on youtube. It just doesn't work, unless i'm interpreting it wrong

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    so how does it work? i really don't undertand. Using rare candies makes me gain the same points as if i were to just train normally.

Because using a Rare Candy makes stat increases ignore any EVs you obtained while at that level.

On youtube some guy was explaining how it works and he got 10+ ever time he leveled up. (he leveled up 5 times) I battled like alot of geodudes plus i got the pokerus and the brace yet it makes no difference.

I need a fully explanation on how it works. i read on serebii and watched the guy do it on youtube. It just doesn't work, unless i'm interpreting it wrong

You are almost never going to see large boosts like that when EV training. As everybody posting here has already told you, the increases from basic EV training are gradual, meaning you will only get slight boosts in most levels. The exception is when the Pokemon you are training is already at a high level, so you get a large boost to compensate for it (as I am betting happened in that video).

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • How's this for an Azelf?

Azelf, Naive
    HP: 4 - 5
    Att: 24 - 25
    Def: 30 - 31
    SpA: 31
    SpD: 14 - 15
    Speed: 28 - 29

The Speed isn't flawless, but I could always pack a few more EVs (the standard runs 220 Spe- there's room for error). The Attack isn't perfect, but it should be good enough, given the only attacks he'll use are U-Turn or Explosion. The Def is very nice, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2009
    It depends on numerous factors how EV training goes

1 - Does your nature support the stat your trying to boost?
    If it doesn't the stat won't go up much no matter what.

2 - Is it a stat the pokemon is good in?
    You say it is a Shieldon which means if you aren't training it in defence and special defence EVs it won't gain much any way

3 - What form is it?
    Shieldon is pre-evolved so its stats are lower than Bastiodons so thus it won't go up as much. Don't toss aside all 510EVs until it evolves.

4 - Does the band support the stat?
    Each band will only support only stat. Make sure it is the one matching the stat your trying to boost.

It all depends on who you use, what stat you pick, what EVs the target support, and the item your pokemon holds. I had a Regigigas level up once and gain 37 points in attack because of EVs, the proper band, a good nature, pokerus, and spamming Bibarrels and Machokes.

It takes time to adjust things properly and even then you may not get much out of it. The base and max stat of a pokemon is a key factor to how much you'll benefit from the EVs. For Shieldon try out the Oreberg Mines and Iron Mountain.

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
    Years
  • IMO both are quite horrible leads as you don't have an advantage on anything in particular except Azelf in the case of CBtar. Either you could use FreakTar (LO MixTar) or MixScarfTar, both which function better as leads.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    IMO both are quite horrible leads as you don't have an advantage on anything in particular except Azelf in the case of CBtar. Either you could use FreakTar (LO MixTar) or MixScarfTar, both which function better as leads.

CBTar makes an awesome lead. Stone Edge basically massacares Salamence and especially Gyarados leaders. Bronzong who use SR get 2HKO'd by Crunch

I guess CBTar is a better lead. Thanks Archer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back