• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setzer Gabbiani

Gambler
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Hello there everyone, I registered here a while back, but just got around to begin my career in Pokemon hacking. I had a quick question that I couldn't find in the tutorial section by searching, or in this thread.

Back when I first tried hacking a few years ago, I found a tutorial on how to replace the Professor Intro in the game. With my story idea, I would prefer it to be something along the lines of a book with text/a collection of pictures with text for the intro. Could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that helps with this topic?

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Ik its been asked and answered but I cant find it. How do I make you start with the Nat Dex in fire Red?

There's a 'special' command for that. Create a script using a scripting program(I'd recommend XSE) and use the special to give the national dex. (there's some scripting tutorials in the tutorials section that can also help you out there.)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Ik its been asked and answered but I cant find it. How do I make you start with the Nat Dex in fire Red?

You need to use two commands to start off with the National Dex in FRLG. First of all, you need to make the Pokedex usable from the start menu, which is done with the command 'setflag 0x829'. You can then add the National Dex part to it with the command 'special 0x16F'. Just use those in a script and the National Dex should work perfectly.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
For some reason fishing doesn't work in caves. I'm using a separate water tile but I have all the behavior bytes changed to be identical to the normal one. I just get the message "Oak: [player]! This isn't the time to use that!"

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
For some reason fishing doesn't work in caves. I'm using a separate water tile but I have all the behavior bytes changed to be identical to the normal one. I just get the message "Oak: [player]! This isn't the time to use that!"

Check your cave's map type under the Header tab.
You have probably set it to indoors or whatever and not Underground.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 23, 2014
Is there a way to make the national dex available from the beggining?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Two questions (I'm hacking Ruby):

1) How would I go about finding the lengths of individual scripts that I want to remove, so I can use a Hex editor to replace them with free space? Or is there an easier way to remove scripts?

2)I'm working on inserting my new world map, and I trimmed down the tileset to 128x128 like the original. However, I'm told that Ruby uses 8BPP mode instead of 4BPP mode, which means I'm not able to flip tiles across the X and Y axes. Is there a way around that, can I extend the tileset past the 128x128 limit, or would I need to reduce the tileset to where I can insert the "flipped" tiles that I need? I already trimmed it down from 369 tiles to 256, so I'm not sure just how much more I can cut while keeping the region's shape and map style.

Here's what I'm working with.
phdk.png

u68.png

Edit: I ended up just trimming down the tileset some more and got everything necessary to fit. I made the tilemap and everything and loaded it through unLZ, with the tileset and everything, but I got this:

oo6e.png

The only thing I can think of that happened is I made it in 4BPP mode. Lemme check real quick...

Yup that's exactly what I did...That's the third time I had to redraw that tilemap tonight, because it didn't save the first time, then glitched up the second time. Guh, why am I having such bad luck with this??? I did it fine on Fire Red a couple years ago.
Edit 2: Got the map imported just fine, only issue now is the palette.

Btw, the guide I was using doesn't detail how to change the map's palette. How would I do that?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Hi. I'm making a Pokemon Fire red hack. Is there an application or way to edit the power of a move? Like if I want to change hi jump kick from power 85 accuracy 90 to power 120 accuracy 90?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Hi. I'm making a Pokemon Fire red hack. Is there an application or way to edit the power of a move? Like if I want to change hi jump kick from power 85 accuracy 90 to power 120 accuracy 90?
PGE has a built-in attack editor.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I have one more question. I've edited the bag image for one of the the Pokeballs (the dive ball), how would I go about editing the battle screen image when the Pokeball is thrown, so it's the same as the bag one?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have one more question. I've edited the bag image for one of the the Pokeballs (the dive ball), how would I go about editing the battle screen image when the Pokeball is thrown, so it's the same as the bag one?

You can find the thrown Pokeball sprites in unLZ, starting from 419 in an untouched FR ROM. The Dive Ball should be number 425.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
OK.
I downloaded Extreme Script editor 1.1.1 from FileTrip, and when I open the app, it opens well for about 1 second, then it crashes...
I have a Windows Vista computer from Toshiba.
If you can help me open it, it would be extremely helpful.
Or can you point me toward a script editor that supports Vista

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
OK.
I downloaded Extreme Script editor 1.1.1 from FileTrip, and when I open the app, it opens well for about 1 second, then it crashes...
I have a Windows Vista computer from Toshiba.
If you can help me open it, it would be extremely helpful.
Or can you point me toward a script editor that supports Vista

It sounds like XSE is trying to update itself but it can't. Open its settings file in Notepad and change AutoUpdateCheck to 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back