• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So..can anyone actually explain the hatred amongst Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
Years
  • Having actually watched the DP episodes, from what I have gathered, she is the only character who I give a crap about, seeing as Ash is just going through another bout of 8 badges and another league to lose at. And Brock...god have mercy on the team responsible for your derailment. That said, I seem to have developed an attachment of sorts to the character, and having read through several forums online, people hate this character almost more than May. And I would like to know...why? Most people have gathered that her "suckness" comes from her not being good at battles, which imo is a sad excuse. The quality of any character should not be determined by their fighting abilities in any sort. It's what irks me most about Wesker fanboys on resident evil. They see a powerful character, and absolutely love him to death. Same with Akuma from Street Fighter. Its a sad case of Human Nature.

But back to the topic, what do you think is the general consensus among why Dawn is so hated among fan communities?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    From what I keep hearing, Dawn is very well liked by the fan base. But the vocal minority who are more dedicated to a previous trio member is what makes it seem like she's actually hated.

Remember, just because Internet Fans hate it doesn't mean that's what the people watching the show think. If the Internet had it's way, Misty and Ash would be married, Pikachu would've been impaled then thrown off a cliff, and crappy COTD that like 5 people in the world care about would become the main stars of the show.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I wouldn't mind pikachu being impaled actually :P

But COTD?

Character of the day.

The examples in my post are just that, examples. There's a long list of "fan ideas" that are love on the Internet but are mostly completely crazy, unrealistic, or would casue a back lash in the non-Internet fans.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Understand that to everything there exists, there is a negative base, and a positive base.

You have been probably seeing too many negativew bases, because Dawn sure ain't hated by most people I know and you can probably thank her skirt for that. I also doubt there is anybody that truely hates her for being a sucky battler yet dressing beyond her age.

And what the waffles is COTD?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Every now and again an interesting CotD pops up out from the endless sea of generic ones. Ones that seem to be well liked by some are AJ from way back in Indigo League and Sho from DP (the Pikachu and Raichu episode). I think a lot of people liked Duplica and the Eevee trainer in Johto, too.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
  • You have been probably seeing too many negativew bases, because Dawn sure ain't hated by most people I know and you can probably thank her skirt for that. I also doubt there is anybody that truely hates her for being a sucky battler yet dressing beyond her age.

Oh believe me, there are PLENTY of people who hate her based on her battle skills.

Though youtube would be a poor example, considering the majority of fans on that site are obscured by trolls.

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
  • Personally I think Dawn is the best of the female protagonists. She's one of my top 3 characters in the series.

Remember, just because Internet Fans hate it doesn't mean that's what the people watching the show think. If the Internet had it's way, Misty and Ash would be married, Pikachu would've been impaled then thrown off a cliff, and crappy COTD that like 5 people in the world care about would become the main stars of the show.

QFT

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Having actually watched the DP episodes, from what I have gathered, she is the only character who I give a crap about, seeing as Ash is just going through another bout of 8 badges and another league to lose at. And Brock...god have mercy on the team responsible for your derailment. That said, I seem to have developed an attachment of sorts to the character, and having read through several forums online, people hate this character almost more than May. And I would like to know...why? Most people have gathered that her "suckness" comes from her not being good at battles, which imo is a sad excuse. The quality of any character should not be determined by their fighting abilities in any sort. It's what irks me most about Wesker fanboys on resident evil. They see a powerful character, and absolutely love him to death. Same with Akuma from Street Fighter. Its a sad case of Human Nature.

But back to the topic, what do you think is the general consensus among why Dawn is so hated among fan communities?

Look, I don't know about those "Battle" fans, but I can at least give a sound reason as to why I dislike/hate Dawn that has absolutely nothing to do with battles. I disliked her because of her personality, something she somewhat represents. She was way too similar to a LH girl to me (and if you have read or at least heard of Love Hina, you'll know exactly what I mean by that), or, for a more... Pokemon related situation, how those Fiorello Cappucino fangirls acted in the Episode "Princess vs. Princess".

And, personally, when I saw her introduced, I actually didn't mind her, and it was only AFTER I watched "Setting the World on it's Buneary" that I began to hate/dislike her (since she threw a tantrum in the episode, twice.).

Also, her skirt is also partially the reason why I disliked her, as I feel that outfits like that are a bad influence to females.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • People hate Dawn because she's inexperienced (but she's getting more experience), her skirt is shortertest piece of clothing in Pokemon history, and most people still like Misty and/or May. You can't make people change their opinions.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2014
    IMO Dawn is the worst protagonist. May should have stayed. She is annoying as hell, her dress is a little too short, she is inexperienced, and she is as ugly as all hell

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • IMO Dawn is the worst protagonist. May should have stayed. She is annoying as hell, her dress is a little too short, she is inexperienced, and she is as ugly as all hell

o_O ugly as hell..? thats a lie!!

I think she looks much better than Misty or May. And anyway, I never liked May... in my opinion she is kind of.. ugly

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
  • Dawn is my third favorite character under Brock and Mistyy.

I really disliked May.. Not sure why. She really just annoyed me, and I didn't like her game counterpart either.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    IMO Dawn is the worst protagonist. May should have stayed. She is annoying as hell, her dress is a little too short, she is inexperienced, and she is as ugly as all hell

Fortunately, how I enjoy shows doesn't matter on how "attractive" a character is or isn't.

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
  • Mostly I hear it's because of her skirt and inexperience. Which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

I love Hikari~ She's my favorite PokeGirl. ^^

I disliked Haruka at first, but warmed up to her at the end.

I think she's gradually improving from crying for her loses to learning from her mistakes. An example, DP123.
    Spoiler:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Instead of speaking for everyone else, I will speak on why I dislike Dawn.

I find her personality to be very flat, similar to Ash's. Basically, she's going around training Pokemon, saying "Awesome!" and "Totally!" every chance she's got, without any real character development whatsoever. She tends to overreact to an extremely annoying extent, and she her inexperience is so pitiful it makes me want to chuck something at her. She also seems too much like a copy of May, which she wasn't a great character herself, but to have it replicated onto another generation annoys me.

Dawn in the games is pretty sweet though. I dig the dark blue hair ^^

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Instead of speaking for everyone else, I will speak on why I dislike Dawn.

I find her personality to be very flat, similar to Ash's. Basically, she's going around training Pokemon, saying "Awesome!" and "Totally!" every chance she's got, without any real character development whatsoever. She tends to overreact to an extremely annoying extent, and she her inexperience is so pitiful it makes me want to chuck something at her. She also seems too much like a copy of May, which she wasn't a great character herself, but to have it replicated onto another generation annoys me.

Dawn in the games is pretty sweet though. I dig the dark blue hair ^^

Whatever your personal opinion about Dawn and/or May are, you can't say one is a carbon copy without ignoring their introductions. May, despite being from a Gym leader family, knew nothing about Pokemon, and was really unmotivated on her journey until contests were shown to her. Dawn was raised by a former Contest coordinator and had at least some knowledge of Pokemon, and knew what she wanted to do fro the start.

I really don't see why (over)reacting and being inexperienced is something to hold against her. That's how 10 year olds act. They do get overt emotional. Big deal. People BEYOND 10 have that happen to them too. But as recent episodes demonstrated, Dawn went through quite a funk for a number of episodes which ended with her Gym battle against Maylene.

Do you guys remember how Ash (cue Ash haters now) handle his defeat at the Indigo League? Crying, whining, holing himself up in his room for days at a time? Overreacting was practically a staple characteristic of another former trio member, Misty.

Many of you seem to be expecting completely mature adult reactions from 10 year old kids.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back