• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spiders...? Scared of US?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • Have you ever been ninja'd by a spider? Had a spider act in a fashion that made you question how they could possibly be scared of you? I sure have. ._.

I can think of two instances of major OMGWTH
    Spiders...? Scared of US?
    moments for me.

Not but a year and a half or so ago I was sitting in my basement playing games on my computer when I feel something on my bare toe. I look down and there's a GIANT FREAKING SPIDER ON MY TOE!!! ...I immediately flip the heck out and kick it off.

Oh, and it turned out to be a Brown Recluse. e.e Yeah... stayed out of my room for hours until it was killed.

Instance two, was from farther back. I was just sitting on the floor of my room playing video games on my gamecube or N64. It has been a while and I happen to look over my shoulder and---SPIDER!!! RIGHT THERE ON MY SHOULDER!!!

e.o'

Oh right, and I'm scared of spiders.

So, does anyone else have any stories of their own?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • My room has been infested with spiders... twice. Just imagine looking at your ceiling, and wondering why its moving. I spent hours on end sucking all the little buggers up with a vacuum. haha.

My uncle told me a story of when he was preparing to move, he saw a huge spider come out from a few boxes. He stepped on it once and it didn't die... in fact, it actually reared up on its back legs ready to attack. *shivers* I've been trying to deduce what kind it was, and it wasn't a tarantula because it was fast, and it was too big to be a Brown Recluse. My guess is that it was a Wolf spider (which, I don't think, are very dangerous).

Now Brown Recluses are not spiders to mess with. That and the Sydney Funnel Web are arguably the most dangerous spiders in the world (yes, even more dangerous than the Black Widow). Actually, I think Brown Recluses are even more dangerous because of their aggressiveness... they will actively pursue an enemy.

Ever since I learned that house centipedes (thousand leggers, I've always heard them called) eat spiders, I've yet to kill one of those. :) But spiders go smush regardless.

Years
  • I kill anything and everything that moves about the size of those things, if I can reach them. I don't want them near my food, tyvm. I don't really have any stories, mostly because of the philosophy I have of "Kill it first, ask questions later and maybe feed it to the kitty." I did have one freak me out Saturday night by it slowly lowering itself over me while I was folding clothes in one of our chairs, though, as soon as I got up to kill it, it started retreating back to the ceiling.

I think they think we're a part of the landscape when they get that close, just based on that last encounter, and, for that matter, most of the encounters I've had with them.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • I don't hate spiders, in fact I like them, but I just don't like them on me. >_<

There were two incidents I can remember, one was recent and the other happened a while ago.

The first one, happened a few days ago. I was emptying my bladder, and I bumped my shoulder up against a towel hanging from the shower curtain rod. At first I saw what looked to be a piece of fuzz hanging from a string on the towel, as that happens often. But then I looked actually looked at it, and it was a big daddy long legs! I just left it there, but I finished in there while standing away from it.

Another one happened a few years ago, back when I was into skateboarding. I was taking a break, and was sitting under a tree. At some point I looked down and noticed something on top of my right hand. It was a big freakin spider! It was one of those ones with a fat body. Needless to say I freaked out and the spider went flying, lol.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I kill anything and everything that moves about the size of those things, if I can reach them.

No you mustn't! When a spider climbs on you he just wants to say hello to you. You should just say hello to the spider and then put him on the floor gently and let him go about his spidery business.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    The only case I can really think of a decently (in English terms anyway. Those Aussie ones are about 1000 times bigger than the biggest native spiders here) sized spider being anywhere near me except behind glass is way back about 3-4 years ago. I was pouring myself some orange squash and this biggish (only about 2-3cm diameter mind you) grey kinda furry spider landed on the counter next to me. I just heard a small thump as it landed and it charged at me so I trapped it under a cup, slid paper underneath and lobbed b***ard outside.

Last edited:
    Years
  • No you mustn't! When a spider climbs on you he just wants to say hello to you. You should just say hello to the spider and then put him on the floor gently and let him go about his spidery business.

Why not? My cats will just kill 'em eventually anyways. I may leave one or two alive if there's a housefly problem, but that's about it. My cats will find and eat their remains.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Oh my gosh you people have all these spiders in your house that are not common house spiders o_o.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Actually, I think Brown Recluses are even more dangerous because of their aggressiveness... they will actively pursue an enemy.

Ever since I learned that house centipedes (thousand leggers, I've always heard them called) eat spiders, I've yet to kill one of those. :) But spiders go smush regardless.

Actually Richard Brown Recluses are called recluses because they're very un-aggressive and tend to hide in dark areas. o.O I was not bitten nor chased. In fact, Brown Recluses will generally not bite. That funnel spider though. THAT is an aggressive spider, something you want to stay FAR away from less you wish to be attacked.

Quote from https://www.brownreclusespider.biz/
    The spider is not aggressive and only bites if attacked or pressed against skin, threatened in any other way - or perhaps injured. Even though most people will try to avoid the brown recluse spider, bites occur from time to time. Loxoscelism refers to the condition produced by envenomations caused by the brown recluse.

Bites may vary in severity from no symptoms at all to very severe reactions such as renal (kidney) failure and ultimatively death1. Unfortunately there's currently (2008) no effective therapy for brown recluse bites 2. Luckily, brown recluse spiders are more peaceful than most people believe.

No conclusive test for identifying envenomations caused by the brown recluse spider are available 3 -, and because loxoscelism can look like many serious types of pathologies, clinicians have to be very careful in their diagnosis of injuries.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

When I kicked it off it crawled around my floor and walls and I just avoided it like the plague (Took my laptop out of the room though.) Eventually my mother handled it. x.o;

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    I have the phobia of spiders, whatever its called.

I never LOOK at the spider section in the ZOO , NEVER.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • Thanks guys, all this talk of spiders is getting me paranoid haha. I didn't used to mind them, still don't to a point, but it's jumping spiders that scare the crap out of me!
    Anyway, I have a short story...
    A few years back when my family were moving house we went over to the new house to check on some things. It was just me and my uncle in this one room and he was so trying to take down some curtains that the previous owners had left. He wiggled it just a little and a huge spider fell out and landed right on his face. It was literally the size of his face. Put your hand over your face and open it out like it's a spider. That's what it was like... except.... it... WAS a spider lol
    I think it was the shock that made him freeze for about 3 seconds before shaking it off and running out of the room. That was the scariest thing ever for me and it wasn't even me that had it on my face haha.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    No you mustn't! When a spider climbs on you he just wants to say hello to you. You should just say hello to the spider and then put him on the floor gently and let him go about his spidery business.

right, then kill it. If a spider has the nerve to touch me, it dies.
    Otherwise, if i just see one walking around, i let it got and might even stop others from murdering it... like a good guy ^w^

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • gahh ive been in many spidery situatuions o.o (i meen many!)

1. Well so i was just resting in my room and a spider came in my ear, a tiny one i think.

2. along time ago, when i lived in a house where the hall was 2-3 feet wide?. A HUGE spide was in the hall (few inches?) and we put about 3phonebooks and jumped on it. pretty sure it dies. my memory dosent serve me well.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i dont remember the last time i had a spider on me. i avoid them at all costs. they are to disgusting. but i know that there are brown recluses in my house. and i would rather put up with them than what my cousin has to deal with over in iraq. they are called camel spiders and they will chase you if they feel threatened.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kitty!

mandi
    Years
  • ^
    OMG EW EWWWWWWW.
    oh please put that in a spoil box, yuck. ):
    but yeah, I've heard about camel spiders. they freak me out like literally. If I ever faced one, I think I'd die.

I hate spiders. I hate all spiders.
    I get somebody else to kill them when I see it, because if it's on the wall, I'm always afraid it's going to fall/jump on me if I hit it with something.

ugh.

Ayselipera

YAY!! MANY SPIDERS!!! ^o^

I don't have many good spider stories. Well one happened while I was watching tv one day. A spider came down on a single thread in front of my face. I just grabbed its little web string and brought it outside though. Another time I was outside and I stumbled upon a whole spider nest. There was one mom spider surrounded by baby spiders. Reminds me of Charlotte's Web<3333 :D

Hey I just remembered there is a little tiny spider that has a web between my computer speaker and the wall of the desk. I could never kill it though. It's so small and defenseless. Plus spiders in your house is actually good luck!

Last edited:

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • Even seeing a picture of a spider on the internet gets me paranoid, itchy, and looking around my room every 10 seconds.

Camel spiders are scary, but not as scary as Goliath Birdeaters. 12 inches, wtf.

I only have one spider incident that I can remember.
    I was in bed watching Paul Blart: Mall Cop on my iPod Touch.
    Near the end of the movie a decently sized spider crawls around from the back of my ipod onto the screen.
    It wasn't a huge spider but it got me out of bed quick enough.
    I killed it and finished the movie, but had to search every square inch of my bed to make sure it was clean.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Kay I hate spiders, they scare me a lot. D:

Right, I remember as a kid I walked into a web...which was when my fear of spiders pretty much started. I know I once woke up facing a daddy long legs which scared the hell out of me. When I once was at school camp, and I was getting ready to go into my dorm, a spider kind of somehow ended up on my jacket and I didn't notice. My friend noticed and got rid of it, but omg that was scary. There was also this really large spider at another school camp, outside of the windows of the dorm and I took pictures of it, (at like near 4am or something, which made it look scarier.) Um, once a spider started to crawl down from the roof onto Pop and it was really large. But, those are the only real issues I remember with spiders...

Though I do know that sometimes I've seen like over 10 spiders in a day. :(
    Mainly where the birds are, but still, I seem to find them accidentally...

Back