• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen (Spoiler Alert) Frantic Shipping?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Did anyone else end up feeling like the games were shipping the player characters? Even more so than they have done in previous games (such as with Dawn x Lucas, and Ethan x Lyra)? For example the looks the rival gave the player, the way the player smiled at the rival at times, the parents seeming to ship the player with his/her neighbor at the start of the Delta Episode. The Date at the end of Delta Episode was the cherry on top.
    How did you feel about what seems to be the addition of Romance into a Pokémon game? (there was some between the B2W2 player character and the idol, also XY seems to have had some with Shauna...or was that just me too?) Is it a good thing? Did any of you hated that they seemed to have put those two together?
    Btw the title of this thread is a reference to Brendan and May's manga counterparts.

Or am I just wearing my shipping goggles on too tightly?

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • This game was shipping May and Brendan so hard. There was that moment after defeating the champion where I was like, "Yep, the shipping is so hard. At the beginning of the Delta episode, your mom says, "How about you take that cute girl May." Or however it's said when you choose to play as a girl. Yeah, the game ships them hard.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Sure, it ships them a bit, but not hard. It's mostly a friendship and not so much a relationship if you ask me. The way May/Brendan acts towards the player is more like a kid who's become really good friends with someone of the opposite gender but acts in a slightly awkward manner because they don't really have any experience with the other gender. They are supposed to be 12, right.....?

mativi

Medium Experienced Trainer
    Years
  • Yes! In pokemon X & Y was a little... I don't know, Shauna was like your secret lover... That's my opinion, guys.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • Yes! In pokemon X & Y was a little... I don't know, Shauna was like your secret lover... That's my opinion, guys.

Though that begs the question: If you play as a girl and that scene happens, does that mean there would be some implications that bet you all can guess?

Years
  • Well i've only played once and as the guy, and considering Brendan/May seems to make more appearances here than they did in the original games, it was considerable but not majorly. At least not until the Delta Episode, where the final scenes of that from after you take on Deoxys did give that implication to me. It was cute, but really left me wondering.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    As long as Game Freak never crosses the line of kissing and other things beyond that, I'm okay with them shipping whoever. Blushes and teasing are cute. xD

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I don't know... I made my opinions on this clear before. It freaks me out a little because of the implications I see there.

If I didn't feel this way, though, I wouldn't really care. I've always been shipping Wally/May/Brendan since I was little.

Years
  • Honestly before going to Origin Cave it seemed as if May was going to confess to the main character. Btw they are suppose to be 10. Though being 10 doesn't mean much as kids back when I was elementary started dating around that age. I heard kids are they're dating sooner now though...so a puppy love at 10 isn't breaking much norms for the young players. Now for some of us more older folks it may seem odd.

PsyKiss

Not So Innocent Cutie Pie
    Years
  • ^
    There is actually a quote somewhere in the game, where they are both referred to as teenagers. I imagine they would be young teenagers, as they are still being talked down to as "kid" from others (although this is a popular thing from any sort of rival/enemy).

Actually outside of the rivals and enemys calling the trainer kid and the anime starting age of ash being 10, there really isn't a canon age on the trainers. I want to say 13-15 on most of them, especially this time around with all the shipping going on.

BTW, ORAS has had the most subtle shipping than any other game, haha

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Honestly before going to Origin Cave it seemed as if May was going to confess to the main character. Btw they are suppose to be 10. Though being 10 doesn't mean much as kids back when I was elementary started dating around that age. I heard kids are they're dating sooner now though...so a puppy love at 10 isn't breaking much norms for the young players. Now for some of us more older folks it may seem odd.

Actually the BuzzNav reveals their ages as both being 12. 12 is about right for a first love age without it getting creepy.

Years
  • ^
    There is actually a quote somewhere in the game, where they are both referred to as teenagers. I imagine they would be young teenagers, as they are still being talked down to as "kid" from others (although this is a popular thing from any sort of rival/enemy).

Actually outside of the rivals and enemys calling the trainer kid and the anime starting age of ash being 10, there really isn't a canon age on the trainers. I want to say 13-15 on most of them, especially this time around with all the shipping going on.

BTW, ORAS has had the most subtle shipping than any other game, haha

I must've missed that. I guess 12 makes sense as they do seem a little too old for 10. I wonder how old the Unova and Kalos main characters are as they were referred to as being older than previous main characters irc, well at the least the BW ones were.

It certainly does have the most shipping which I love. Now I can only imagine what they'll do with DP remakes as DPP had even the villains ship Dawn with Lucas...

PsyKiss

Not So Innocent Cutie Pie
    Years
  • Unless the DS stops becoming backwards compatable (and these newer generations are built to last longer) I don't think you're going to see them for a LONG time. I think the first gens would get remaked before the 4th.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I thought May's bra straps were going to burst that one time she was blushing after complimenting me - maybe after the final battle with her? Or just after the E4? Some time like that.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, it was pretty darn noticeable in the Delta Episode part. I wasn't a fan either, frankly, because I just plain dislike the Hoenn rival in Brendan/May. They're not imo likeable characters, so getting suddenly shipped with them repeatedly which was getting in the way of the whole 'ride a dragon into SPACE to save the world' story was just irritating.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I played as May

Brendan got ignored/stomped into the ground and I was too busy drooling over Steven...

I did like the post-credits Rival Battle though...where I again destroyed Brendan's dreams of becoming a Pokemon Trainer

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • I'm okay with all the ship tease between Brendan/May, either you play as Brendan or May. They're on a tolerable level as long as they don't do kissing or even hugging. That would be too much skinship for a 12-years old. I do love how they make the final battle between the rivals as special as the player fighting against AZ in X&Y, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I think I just saw a channel on the BuzzNav called "TrainerxTrainer" that may or may not have been shipping players with random NPCs. Something about always battling the same NPC and saying it's due to love.

......ok then game.

Back