• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen [HUGE SPOILERS] A Very Disturbing Similarity

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Hey... so everybody knows the Sea Mauville quest, right? How Professor Cozmo's parents' marriage probably fell apart because his dad was never home? And how Cozmo thought that by doing all his homework and being a good child, they wouldn't fight anymore?

I, like everybody else who saw this in the game, wondered why the writers would include something so sad in the story if it's not even really that plot significant. I was thinking about what purpose this could serve in terms of thematic elements, and it suddenly hit me; who else is a child with incredible achievements, who also has a father who works long hours and is never home? The player character and his/her neighbor.

Think about it; Norman is rarely home because of his job in the Gym, which is referenced several times throughout the game. Professor Birch is also rarely home, to the point where (in the post-game) he mistakes his wifer for a wild pokemon chasing him even thought she's right in front of him.

In fact, at the end of the credits, Norman and the player's mom have a conversation about how they were planning to see the Litleonids together but Norman had to cancel, even though seeing that meteor shower together for the first time was a first step in their relationship. Since they still had the tickets, they gave them to Brendan and May.

I think lots of people picked up on the awkward romantic subtext between May and Brendan in this game. Since they see the Litleonids together, what if whoever the player plays as grows up to be and absent father/mother kind of like Norman, and the neighbor is the spouse and the pattern repeats?

I also always used to wonder why a twelve-year-old would be so bent on becoming the Champion. What if in ORAS specifically, it's a situation similar to Cozmo trying to become an overachiever?

I know I might be reading way too much into a kids' game, but I think I have a valid interpretation here. What do you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    Pssst Brendan and May are twelve, not ten. I don't think any of the game characters have been ten and I blame the anime for making people think otherwise. But that's a topic for another time.

That is an interesting connection though...although if anything it just makes the whole thing awkward because they never actually did anything with it (as tends to happen in Pokemon and seemed to happen quite a bit in these games in particular). Also seems kind of random for that connection to be with a scientist you interact with a grand total of two(?) times throughout the entire game, assuming you even go out of your way to read any of those letters in Sea Mauville in the first place.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Pssst Brendan and May are twelve, not ten. I don't think any of the game characters have been ten and I blame the anime for making people think otherwise. But that's a topic for another time.
    I'm so sorry! I haven't even watched the anime for over a decade, so I have no excuse for this. I always thought they looked ten or eleven.
    That is an interesting connection though...although if anything it just makes the whole thing awkward because they never actually did anything with it (as tends to happen in Pokemon and seemed to happen quite a bit in these games in particular). Also seems kind of random for that connection to be with a scientist you interact with a grand total of two(?) times throughout the entire game, assuming you even go out of your way to read any of those letters in Sea Mauville in the first place.
    Well the game couldn't do anything with it because the idea of it is too disturbing, I think.
    I would say that Professor Cozmo would be the character because the Litleonid scene is related to the stars. This is also the first pokemon game where you can go into space.

Back